If you're considering adopting a child, you might be vulnerable to an adoption scam or other pitfalls of the process. Use the following tips from Kelly Kiser-Mostrom, author of The Cruelest Con, to help you avoid any roadblocks on your path to parenthood:
- As an adoptive parent, think with your head, not with your heart.
- Know the laws in your state because laws vary by state.
- Realize that there are no promises.
- Always verify information you receive about an expectant mom.
- Always get a proof of pregnancy and validate that proof.
- Beware of someone requiring money upfront, being pushy, wanting an answer right away, or threatening you will lose a match.
- If you're working with a professional, do a background check on them.
- Save all documentation, every receipt, etc.
- Every expectant mother has the right to choose not to go forward with an adoption plan.
- Prospective adoptive parents must make sure their professional does thorough expectant mom screenings.