If You Are Being Abused
- Call the police.
- Avoid becoming isolated and confide in someone.
- Do not feel shame and know that no one has the right to hit or control you with fear.
- Know that there is no excuse for abuse, it is not your fault and you are not alone.
- Keep a record (including pictures if possible) and hide it carefully.
- Consider ending the relationship as soon as possible.
- Develop a safety/exit plan that does not include confronting your abuser:
- Know emergency numbers.
- Keep spare house and car keys and a suitcase with essentials hidden but accessible.
- Know where you can stay in an emergency.
- Hide key documents and some emergency money
- Work out a distress signal-system with a friend or loved one.