Message Boards

Topic : 02/13 Love Smart Island, Part 1

Number of Replies: 124
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:43:16 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Love is in the air, as Dr. Phil sends single men and women sailing to Love Smart Island to find Mr. and Ms. Right. First, Dr. Phil  surprises the successful and attractive women and introduces them to bachelors who are ready to settle down. As they spend three days dancing, picnicking and talking, will love connections be made? Find out why Dr. Phil has to make a special trip to the island to rescue two women, and what happens when the men get to choose one woman to spend the afternoon with. Also, meet three other bachelors who say their appearance is keeping them from finding a girlfriend. If you're unlucky in love, you'll learn how to take control of your love life and find the one you want by loving smart. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More February 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 13, 2006, 11:16 am CST

02/13 Love Smart Island, Part 1

Quote From: beaching

I agree with all the other quotes about focusing on those of us who raised families, divorced or partners died, and now have to face the dating scene and all the changes that have taken place in the last 30+ years.  So many of the age appropriate men seem to be drawn to much younger attractive women.  How do we compete?
You dont have to compete...it's not a competition. It's about being who you are, being confident ,no matter how old you are. If a man doesnt want to date older women, then hes not worth your time anyway. You dont have to prove yourself to anyone, just be who you are and someone will notice and love you for it.

February 13, 2006, 11:22 am CST

Quote From: beaching

I agree with all the other quotes about focusing on those of us who raised families, divorced or partners died, and now have to face the dating scene and all the changes that have taken place in the last 30+ years.  So many of the age appropriate men seem to be drawn to much younger attractive women.  How do we compete?
Meet men of your interested by doing activites or hobbies that you like doing yourself. Like dancing, playing tennis, traveling, whatever, you name it. I just dont think we should have to do anything out of I way or EXTRA to find a guy. It's tough finding a good man but just do what you do and have a good time. And if you come across someone you like, then just be who you are and show the right signs, if your interested.

February 13, 2006, 12:48 pm CST

Reading my mind

I was thinking the same thing and asked that question, about us over 50, to Robin. 

Thanks for all of you seeing what I thought was just my problem..  

'we over 50 are big consumers but are neglected by the advertisers..and they are the ones who pay for these shows.. 

February 13, 2006, 12:53 pm CST

Hot Topic!

I watched today's show because I was interested to learn what I need to know about dating and to understand how I am perceived by the men I meet. While this subject is intriguing, I don't feel it applied to me and my situation, nor does it seem applicable to any of the others who have responded so far. It would seem that there is a great need for some "Dr. Phil words of wisdom" for those of us who are over 40, raised families, had successful careers and been in long term relationships who now find themselves single again and faced with the daunting task of DATING once again!

February 13, 2006, 12:54 pm CST

Quote From: divaless

Amen! I was going to ask the same thing. It seems everytime one of these shows is done it's about men and women in their twenties or early thirties. What about us primetimers who for one reason or another find ourselves alone again and either don't "remember" or know how to do the dating scene again? Come on Dr. Phil-where's our advice??

. . . or even some advice for "ordinary" twenty-/thirtysomethings?  I'm never going to look like any of these girls, I work full-time, and I take classes part-time (online, so I can't even meet anyone at school).  I live in a suburb with no activities (I'm not a bar type), near a large city in which it wouldn't be advisable to stay out late alone.  I can't afford to move and I've been "out of it" so long I basically don't know anyone my own age, romantically or platonically.  There is only one small church of my denomination in the area and I've already met the one guy my age who goes there (and it didn't go anywhere).  Where the heck do you start? 

He always picks beautiful but ridiculously high-maintenance, ridiculously picky girls.  How about some advice for people who have already gotten past being hung up on what shoes a guy wears, how much he makes, and his college GPA, and are still lost?  

February 13, 2006, 1:14 pm CST

Are there any guys out there?

I am in my mid 40's and am divorced.  I watch the shows like the one on today and they are mostly geared to the younger generation.  I would really just like to meet some one that is not into playing games.  If there is no chemistry, just tell me, I would rather know that up front then sit around thinking the guy really liked me.  Most of the shows, that promote match making are geared to the younger set.  They also mostly are geared to the slim, drop dead georgous woman.  What about those of us who are attractive, we feel, but not model like?  I am a nice good person, just can't find anyone out there.  Dr. Phil needs to gear a show to us, and not the ones who are living a very loose and free life, like a few have been.  Oh well, I guess life goes on.

February 13, 2006, 1:20 pm CST

Nice but next show please!

Quote From: dandeelion

I haven't seen this show yet - not sure if I am going to watch it or not.
I have been on my own for the past 7 years and divorced for the past two years- that's a whole show in itself.
I devoted myself to raising my son - who will be at home for a few more years yet. I live in a small rural community. I wasn't great at dating when I was younger and now that I'm in my early 50's I find it very discouraging. I won't go to bars. A lot of men back off when they find out that I still have a youngster at home. I've tried the online dating thing and it isn't working for me. It wasn't the best experience of my life.
Thanks for bringing this up.

I enjoy listening to Dr. Phil, appreciate his wife being there for her husband(on so many levels). The show was amusing - whether you live in a rural area or not we all have the same problem. approaching 50 with a child(mine is an 11 year old boy). I am far from being bored. care for my son, I work full time, race yachts, travel for pleasure mostly, volunteer.  

I sit on many boards, attend all types of functions from embassy - montly ladies tea. My former boyfriend from 25+ years ago (partner in a law firm) - he is my best friend in the world. My rock and I atend many functions together for a couple of reasons 1) we do not have to attend to each other during the function 2) we try to find dates for each other. No matter what we have tried - it just does not seem to work. Rural - Urban   - we all have the same experiences it is just a question of degrees.  

I too would so enjoy hearing/watching a show which addresses our situation and would challenge our beloved Dr. Phil to produce such a show and at the least take a look at my list of qualifiers. 

Hang in there stay active and above all - maintain your health(medical/physical) for your child. 

With warmest regards, 

February 13, 2006, 1:26 pm CST

I agree

Quote From: lindacy

I liked the show.  However, what about us ladies and gentlemen who are in our mid to late 50's.  Where do we find a date besides going to a bar?
I'm 48, have a busy life, and am not pretty like those in the show. Guys are visual creatures, it's their nature. But there are some real sweethearts out here just waiting for a chance!

February 13, 2006, 1:32 pm CST

Nice but next show please!

Quote From: dandeelion

I haven't seen this show yet - not sure if I am going to watch it or not.
I have been on my own for the past 7 years and divorced for the past two years- that's a whole show in itself.
I devoted myself to raising my son - who will be at home for a few more years yet. I live in a small rural community. I wasn't great at dating when I was younger and now that I'm in my early 50's I find it very discouraging. I won't go to bars. A lot of men back off when they find out that I still have a youngster at home. I've tried the online dating thing and it isn't working for me. It wasn't the best experience of my life.
Thanks for bringing this up.

I enjoy listening to Dr. Phil, appreciate his wife being there for her husband(on so many levels). The show was amusing - wether you live in a rural area or not we all have the same problem. approaching 50 with a child(11 year old boy). I am far from being bored. I work full time, race yachts, travel for pleasure mostly. I sit on many boards attend all types of functions from embassys-montly ladies tea. My ex boyfriend from 25+ years ago (partner in a law firm) - he is my best friend in the world. My rock and I atend many functions together for a couple of reasons 1) we do not have to attend to each other during the function 2) we try to find dates for each other. No matter what we have tried - it just does not seem to work. Rural - Urban   - we all have the same experiences it is just a question of degrees.  

I too would so enjoy hearing/watching a show which addresses our situation and would challenge our beloved Dr. Phil to produce such a show and at the least take a look at my list of qualifiers. 

Hang in there stay active and above all - maintain your health(medical/physical) for your child. 

With warmest regards, 

February 13, 2006, 1:37 pm CST

What about us older women

I am 41.  I am also your "Average Jane".  What about women like me?  All that was on the show were younger women.  I was disappointed in the women that were chosen to be on the show.  Where was the maturity level.  These were successful women?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last