Message Boards

Topic : 09/06 Mr. Mooch

Number of Replies: 271
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, February 10, 2006, 12:48:25 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 02/15/06) Dr. Phil talks to women who are the family breadwinners and are sick of living with freeloaders. Sarah says she's tired of supporting the man in her life -- and she's not even married to him yet! Her fiancé, Dan, worked just four weeks last year -- and only because he was ordered to by the courts. Sarah constantly begs him to get a job, has kicked him out three times, and says that if she doesn't hide her purse, he'll steal her money! Should she walk down the aisle with a man who wanted her to buy her own engagement ring? Then, Tricia makes three times as much as her husband, Glenn. She also does all the housework, takes care of their daughter and manages the finances -- after working a 12- to 16-hour day. Will Glenn ever step up to the plate? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More September 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 10, 2006, 7:42 pm CST

moochers

Anyone else notice that Dr. Phil does a lot of episodes about moochers?  I wonder why... 

February 13, 2006, 1:36 pm CST

Mr Mooch

I have a younger sister who married two moochers.It nearly cost her everthing in her life including her childeren. She now lives on welfare.She told me she will never marry agian cause she is abad chose of men.I say dump them you don't need people like that in your like.I have ssen it from a bystander.The guy almost destroyed my sister.She now has to live on welfare because of him.She worked two jobs suprting him and her kids and ended up engured for good.Two back surgerys.When she couldn't support him anymore he left her in a bed and moved in onther woman to her home got a resraning order agianst her so she had to move out.He took everthing she owned including the kids things.She had to start over with nothing.Her first was a moocher as well.He has never paid child support for his kids ever.He lived off her also her never worked a day in his life.He still doesn't work.The second husband of hers went to prison and is now dead.So moochers only can bring down your life and ruin it.So get ride of the that man befor you are on welfare too.

February 13, 2006, 4:31 pm CST

Dump him

My father was a moocher all his life. We were just lucky that our grandparents from both side are successful. They made sure that my sisters and I would have the necessities we need to survive.  My father never worked all his life, all of our needs came from our grandparents, especially his mother, she spoiled him so much. My mother left my dad when I was 9. Thankfully even thou they got seperated our grandparents remain true in supporting me and my 2 sister. My father found a new girlfriend 6 months after my mom left him. They played house, bore 3 kids, still my grandmother supported him. My point is, they will never change, just dump him, you deserve someone better. My mom is 54 yrs old today, still she tells me leaving my father was the best decision she ever made.  Trust me. 

February 14, 2006, 5:41 am CST

Mr Mooch

Unless she wants to support him for the rest of his worthless life she better kick him to the curb. he is looking for  a mother not a wife. I got rid of 2 just like him because they would not work at all. the last one even tried to lay a guilt trip on me in reference to my not being a Christian because I took him to the nearest homeless shelter. She sure can do better than that. I would rather be alone than support a lazy man. 

thanks 

Diane 

February 14, 2006, 6:32 am CST

02/15 Mr. Mooch

Quote From: diamond

Unless she wants to support him for the rest of his worthless life she better kick him to the curb. he is looking for  a mother not a wife. I got rid of 2 just like him because they would not work at all. the last one even tried to lay a guilt trip on me in reference to my not being a Christian because I took him to the nearest homeless shelter. She sure can do better than that. I would rather be alone than support a lazy man. 

thanks 

Diane 

I, too, married a man that needed a mother instead of a wife.  Actually, he needed a banker!  He felt like as long as he worked, he could buy anything he wanted.  It didn't seem to dawn on him that he needed to work at a job that paid enough to make his payments. Boats $25,000 - trucks $30,000 - a semi to start his own business - $75,000 ,etc.  I worked at a decent job making $40,000 a year and couldn't spend a dime on myself because I was making HIS payments!  I made the house payments, bought groceries, etc.  I laid awake many nights trying to figure out how to pay the bills. When I had had enough and filed for divorce, he ended up getting all the money in the bank because in Florida ANY martial debt has to be split!  So yes, a man that won't work is worthless in my book.  But a man that puts the family so far in debt is just as worthless!  Good ridance to HIM AND Florida!

February 14, 2006, 10:44 am CST

Uh oh, sounds like you're experiencing this personally

Quote From: prettybird

Yes, I noticed it also.  Maybe it's because there are millions of hard working people out there who are tired of working their butts off to support lazy, free loading bums.  I know I'm tired. 

Would you like to talk about it?

February 14, 2006, 12:07 pm CST

Circumstances

Did anyone ever stop to think about the many different circumstances which could leave a person dependent on others?  For example, where do you go if you suddenly lose your job and apartment? If you suddenly become too sick to work, or if you've just transitioned from college to the "real world"? The ladder example is the situation that I am currently in. Upon completion of college I hit the pavement everyday looking for work. Finally thank goodness I am now employed, but however I am also overwhelmed by student loan repayments. I just feel as though once I find some stability something else comes and knocks me down . NO I am not condoning this behavior of being a mooch, but what I am saying is that you cannot judge someone because they are living at home. Unlike some others that I have seen on the dr. phil show, I am making an effort to be on my own.  I contribute to the household by buying groceries, and paying some bills.

February 14, 2006, 1:01 pm CST

Congrats to You!

Quote From: trailguide

I, too, married a man that needed a mother instead of a wife.  Actually, he needed a banker!  He felt like as long as he worked, he could buy anything he wanted.  It didn't seem to dawn on him that he needed to work at a job that paid enough to make his payments. Boats $25,000 - trucks $30,000 - a semi to start his own business - $75,000 ,etc.  I worked at a decent job making $40,000 a year and couldn't spend a dime on myself because I was making HIS payments!  I made the house payments, bought groceries, etc.  I laid awake many nights trying to figure out how to pay the bills. When I had had enough and filed for divorce, he ended up getting all the money in the bank because in Florida ANY martial debt has to be split!  So yes, a man that won't work is worthless in my book.  But a man that puts the family so far in debt is just as worthless!  Good ridance to HIM AND Florida!

It's refreshing to see you did the right thing for yourself.  You also did the right thing for him.  Unfortunately, I have a close friend who went through a similar circumstance.  She has her PhD, single mother of two children, saved to buy a nice home.  Her husband?  Worked part-time.  Bought a new truck (using her credit), and she ended up driving his "so-so" car.  He bought her a computer (using her credit without her permission), but then used the computer for himself, taking it with him when he left her.  She took out a loan for their wedding and honeymoon - guess who's paying for that now?  He told her she couldn't attend a Super Bowl Party because she "didn't know enough about football".  Guess what?  Pics have now surfaced of him at the party with another girl.  NOW, after he finally left his wife (after cheating on her for most of their marriage), another woman has taken him in - he's living off her now!  AMAZING!! 

My rule??  Never date a man who has not been completely financially independent for at least 5 years and is actively employed.  If he's not employed, he needs to be concentrating on finding full-time employment instead of getting into a relationship anyway. 

February 14, 2006, 1:09 pm CST

You're not a moocher

Quote From: lovelilee

Did anyone ever stop to think about the many different circumstances which could leave a person dependent on others?  For example, where do you go if you suddenly lose your job and apartment? If you suddenly become too sick to work, or if you've just transitioned from college to the "real world"? The ladder example is the situation that I am currently in. Upon completion of college I hit the pavement everyday looking for work. Finally thank goodness I am now employed, but however I am also overwhelmed by student loan repayments. I just feel as though once I find some stability something else comes and knocks me down . NO I am not condoning this behavior of being a mooch, but what I am saying is that you cannot judge someone because they are living at home. Unlike some others that I have seen on the dr. phil show, I am making an effort to be on my own.  I contribute to the household by buying groceries, and paying some bills.
Congrats on finding a job.  Student loans are overwhelming.  I've been there.  I'm a single parent of a 13 yr old - have mortgage, car payment, insurance, a 13 yr old who's growing out of his clothes constantly.  Setting goals helped me.  I made up my mind I'd save enough money to buy a nicer home, and needed a good down payment before I could afford the mortgage.  Three yrs later, we moved into a beautiful home.  Maybe getting a temporary part-time job to supplement your income would help with your student loan payments.  Just try not to get comfortable with your current situation.  Have a plan in place to move your life forward.  You'll feel so much better when you're on your own.  My first apartment was 20' x 20' - tiny, but I felt like a queen because it was mine.  Good luck.

February 14, 2006, 1:15 pm CST

To Tricia

Hi Tricia - the Dr. Phil show you are featured in hasn't aired yet, but just reading the description made me crazy.  An idea - I know you're doing all of the housework, etc.  Why don't you try not touching any of your husband's laundry.  Just do for you and the kids.  If he leaves a mess, let it be.  Then perhaps he'll notice how much you do.  If he runs out of toiletries, etc, don't buy replacements for him.  Anything that only effects him I wouldn't do.  I know several men like this - you'd think they'd be embarrassed.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last