Message Boards

Topic : Military Families Support

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, February 12, 2006, 07:30:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a loved one serving in the military can be stressful especially during these trying times.  Share your support and advice with other service men and women, and family members of those proudly serving our country.

NOTE: This is a support board, not a debate board and any messages counterproductive to this topic will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 22, 2006, 7:24 pm CDT

Military Family Support

Quote From: grama_m

Hi everyone.  I've been a member here for a little while - but have never posted.  I kind of felt that I really didn't belong at this site.  So many people and so many problems.  Reading here made me feel guilty that everything was so wonderful in my family's life.  But, I found this board today.  I felt like sharing.  

My only child joined the Army right after 9/11.  He had been married only a short time before - but he felt very strongly about what he NEEDED to do.  His father and I have always backed him up on whatever he wanted to do.  He moved his wife to our house when he left for bootcamp and schooling.  She was a joy to have and a welcome part of our family.  Her and I flew to his graduation and were both so proud when he graduated with honors and special recognitions by the Commander.  Shortly after training, he ( and our daughter in law) moved to his first duty station in Kansas.)  Not long after that, he got orders to ship off to Iraq.  He was in the first waive of soldiers that were sent to take control of the country.  I was nervous, but was able to track him via the imbeded reporters.  I knew which one was assigned to his unit and could search Yahoo photos.  I got to see soldiers in his company and charted the procress on a big map I kept on the wall.  (I have an APS diary/phots of the entire 1st year)  I had my ups and downs as the news photos weren't always positive.  But, I watch HIS tank pull down the statue of Sadam in Kerbala.  (I didn't know it was HIM until he returned after his first year and was looking as what I had gathered.  He was AMAZED and was real excited to see the photo.)  Anyway....... He had come home to his wife on leave midway through his first tour - and to our surprise and pleasure left us with the most beautiful gift...... the beginings of our granddaughter.  (insert BIG smile here)  He made it back to his wife when his first tour was up.  We got to see them for a little while and threw partys for them complete with family and friends.  They had our little bundle of joy later that year.  As we all knew would happen, he got orders to head back to Iraq for another year.  He asked us if we would watch his family while he was gone.  We were thrilled that we were given the chance to pull our expanded family under our wings and give our son a little less to worry about while he was doing his important job.  Hubbie and I were in 7th heaven and really took to the job of having a little baby in the house.  Mommy hopefully got all the breaks she needed and I got a helper with keeping the house up as I keep a full time job.  Being that I'm out of the house all day, this gave my daughter in law the freedom to have the place to herself and baby.  The year went by fast - and we documented all the highlights on DVD movies which we copied and sent to Iraq for Daddy to see. We also set up a web cam so we could all see each other.  This was a big PLUS over the first time he was there.  Well........ He came back to the states after his tour.  I stayed home and hubbie and daughter in law and baby flew back to Kansas to meet him.  (He didn't know his dad would be there.)  It was kind of funny... I got the call from the Army that he was on a flight to come back and he called me from Ireland to keep me posted on his progress - he even called me from Main..... I never let on that he would be seeing his dad soon.  (insert another big grin)  When the welcome home ceremony was over (which hubbie recorded on DVD for me to see) he walked over to where the stroller was waiting, looked up and saw his dad.  Since the recorder was rolling, I got to see the look on his face - close up.  He says "Mom, you finally kept a secret from me!"  I think it was only fitting that it be a good one like this.  (Insert the biggest grin here) The kids stayed there  for about a month and hubbie flew there to bring back our daughter in law and baby - and a truck full of goods - towing a SUV.  A couple of months later, Hubbie flew back there and helped our son move the rest of the stuff back - and him, done with his active duty.  He'll be inactive reserve for a few more years.  It's done now - we all survived the little ups and downs.  Our family is stronger than ever.  The kids lived with us while they both secured employment - and have just recently moved into a place of their own - just a few miles from home.  Now, it's time for Hubbie and me again. (We're going on 30 years of marriage)  Our job isn't done, we're just getting a little break.   I see them almost every day and most of the time we gravitate to the family table.  I read a few words of wisdom in the funny pages of all places.  I'll give credit to "for better or worse" :  If you cut the apron strings cleanly, they'll want to spend more time in your kitchen. (this may go better on a different board - but those boards are too depressing.) 

I hope I haven't bored anyone.  Everything wasn't always "UP", sometimes we had to work a little to find something positive to balance out our emotions.  I'm far from perfect - but if there is anything I can say or share to give someone a little BOOST, I'd be happy to try.   

Now, does this site have a Grandma brag site? I'd love to discuss the feeling I get when I see that little bundle run to me with her arms outstretched calling:  GRAMA!!!)    LOL!!!!!  OK..... I'm done.   Thanks for listening. (reading) 

Today is my first time on a message board. I  have been so touched reading your message.I feel that the Lord brought me to you.  I too have a son that is in the army. He is also married to a wonderful young woman. They do not have any children yet. He is going to Iraq in Oct. He is my oldest . He too  joined the military in 2004. He went to college first to be a computer engineer and then became an Interogator in the army.  He is also a chinese linguist. He  joined the military because he wanted to do his part as a US citizen and because he loves his country. Needless to say I am very proud of my son. He was always an incredible young man. I pray that  God brings him home safely. I am not sure how you stay so positive, but because of your words, I  feel encouraged to be just like you, and to be a very positive persn in his life.He will be gone for a year. And thinks that he will go back for another year. And when he gets out ,then he said maybe I'll be a Grandmother. I pray that happens because all I want in life is to be a Grandmother! I look forward to sharing Grandma stories with you! Thank You. You have been the angel that I so desperately needed. May God bless you and your wonderful family!

August 22, 2006, 7:39 pm CDT

Thank You and God Bless to all the American Soldiers

Quote From: franny2

i am proud of any soldier who stands up for thier country,fights for thier country.my dad a vietnam vetran went through horrible times when he arrived home from that war with protestors they said and did horrible things to them as soon as they got off the plane.the guilt my dad went through all his life was terrible and it gets me so angry what some  people say about  our soldiers,not thinking about what they have seen, not thinking about what they have had to do, and the paranoid life style they have had when in war.so im with you in saying people and governments owe our soldiers, to make sure they are happy and thier families are happy,and they should never need to want for anything.im proud to be a veterans daughter and always will be. fran in australia
Your message has given me such a wakeup call! From now on I will be there whenever possible to support our troops that are leaving and the ones coming home ,to be able to say thank you to the heroes that they truly are. They are the true meaning of what courageous means.

August 23, 2006, 2:43 am CDT

hi

Quote From: jhollens

Your message has given me such a wakeup call! From now on I will be there whenever possible to support our troops that are leaving and the ones coming home ,to be able to say thank you to the heroes that they truly are. They are the true meaning of what courageous means.
i dont want what happened to the vietnam veterans ever happen to any soldier again.....these boys need so much support when they come home from family ,friends,and most of all thier  governments.  our government in australia let our veterans down time and time again in all area`s. so im out spreading words of support for soldiers of yesterday and to the soldiers of today.IM PROUD OF ALL OF THEM.

September 2, 2006, 11:26 am CDT

Thanks Vicki! Hello Again to Y'all!!!

Quote From: mfoxy1

blue e-mailed me and asked me to 

Extend a SPECIAL HI! to the the Military Support Board and let them know that Mike left again for Iraq June 1st.  

she will be back with us as soon as she can 

vickie 

Here is the start (just a part) of the story
Sad, but TRUE
Strait from the rhyme
Of your old pal Blue

My 40 year marriage
(Remember--I told you about?)
Is OVER
...But by MY CHOICE
Now I can give you a shout

The story is long
As you can guess
Tangled and twisted
And quite a mess!

That’s why I chose
To stay away
Until I could tell you folks
That ALL IS OK!!!

So...
I’m back
Still in good shape!
Ready to RHYME
And new friends to make

Hi, Howdy! OLD PALS
Let’s hear from you
You know where to find me!!!
From your pal

Blue

October 3, 2006, 2:31 pm CDT

Military Families Support

Quote From: jhollens

Today is my first time on a message board. I  have been so touched reading your message.I feel that the Lord brought me to you.  I too have a son that is in the army. He is also married to a wonderful young woman. They do not have any children yet. He is going to Iraq in Oct. He is my oldest . He too  joined the military in 2004. He went to college first to be a computer engineer and then became an Interogator in the army.  He is also a chinese linguist. He  joined the military because he wanted to do his part as a US citizen and because he loves his country. Needless to say I am very proud of my son. He was always an incredible young man. I pray that  God brings him home safely. I am not sure how you stay so positive, but because of your words, I  feel encouraged to be just like you, and to be a very positive persn in his life.He will be gone for a year. And thinks that he will go back for another year. And when he gets out ,then he said maybe I'll be a Grandmother. I pray that happens because all I want in life is to be a Grandmother! I look forward to sharing Grandma stories with you! Thank You. You have been the angel that I so desperately needed. May God bless you and your wonderful family!

I stopped checking this site for more messages because I thought the interest died.  I was THRILLED to see people posting again.   I was even more happy to know that my story was able to help someone cope with this situation.  I'd love to be able to chat more with you.  Please feel free to e-mail me anytime.  I believe you can access my e-mail address through my profile and I look forward to hearing from you (if you decide you'd like to chat). 

Your soldier will be home before you know it.  The "day to day" can be slow but the months count down on the calander fast.  Keep your chin up and a smile on your face.  Stay proud! 

M

October 16, 2006, 6:28 pm CDT

a vietnam veteran who couldnt take it anymore

My Precious Dad

I Wish I Could See You One More Time
Come Walking Through My Door
But, I Know That Is Impossible
I Will Hear Your Voice No More
I Know You Can Feel My Tears
And You Don’t Want Me To Cry
Yet, My Heart Is Broken
Because I Can’t Understand Why
Someone So Precious Had To Die
I Pray That God Will Give Me Strength
And Somehow Get Me Through
As I Struggle With This Heartache
That Was Caused By Losing You

October 20, 2006, 6:55 pm CDT

Operation special Delivery

Hi everyone. Just joined the Dr.Phil page for a second time. Use to be one here all the time back in 04-05. Since I have been gone I have become a Doula. I wanted to tell the military page about what a doula is. It is just a fancier word for labor coach.  Also wanted to get the word out about Operation Special Delivery. This program offers military families that are expecting but the spouse or partner will not be able to attend the birth due to being deployed oversea.  Please check out the website and help get the owrd out to the military community. I live near Ft.Lewis and McChord. Have helped a couple of military families. It is just a great blessing to be a part of such a big event.

www.operationspecialdelivery.com

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would interested in becoming a doula to support the program.Always looking to recruit. LOL  Let me know. I would be happy to direct you in the right direction.

November 9, 2006, 1:37 pm CST

rememberence day here in australia 11/11

thinking of all our soldiers from past wars as well as soldiers in today`s war.im proud of you.but im not proud of the governments that put you there.

November 20, 2006, 8:45 am CST

He's leaving for a deployment soon...

My fiance is leaving for a deployment in less than a week and I am really having a hard time dealing with it.  I am so upset all the time.  I just burst into tears for no reason, and I don't want to ruin our last few days together being sad.  I know it isn't forever, but I can't imagine my life with out him.  How you are supposed to say goodbye to someone you love so much for such a long period of time?  How do you get through these tough times? I am in a city where I have no family and few friends because he was stationed here not too long ago.  I don't know how to cope.  Please send some advice.

November 21, 2006, 9:00 am CST

Military Families Support

Quote From: s0l0nely

My fiance is leaving for a deployment in less than a week and I am really having a hard time dealing with it.  I am so upset all the time.  I just burst into tears for no reason, and I don't want to ruin our last few days together being sad.  I know it isn't forever, but I can't imagine my life with out him.  How you are supposed to say goodbye to someone you love so much for such a long period of time?  How do you get through these tough times? I am in a city where I have no family and few friends because he was stationed here not too long ago.  I don't know how to cope.  Please send some advice.

Do you live close to the base where your fiance was stationed?  I know it's hard, but you are not the only one that feels the way you do.  The trick is to seek out the wifes/fiances/girlfriends of the soldiers he is stationed with.  THEY will be your best suport group (when family is not around).  I'm assuming he is Army.  You should already be familiar with the unit's FRG leader.  They will be your first link to what's going on with the unit.  They will arrange meetings where you can share feelings and plan special events.  If you join in and have some fun with them, the time can fly by and before you know it, the group will be crafting flags and banners for the unit's return.  Stay tough.  It'll help your soldier to know YOU will be fine in his absense - that way, he can concentrate on HIS job. 

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last