Message Boards

Topic : Military Families Support

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, February 12, 2006, 07:30:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a loved one serving in the military can be stressful especially during these trying times.  Share your support and advice with other service men and women, and family members of those proudly serving our country.

NOTE: This is a support board, not a debate board and any messages counterproductive to this topic will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 23, 2006, 10:19 pm CST

brand new to the board, and the military lifestyle

hi everyone!

i found this and was so excited! im 21 years old, my boyfriend of 4 years is 25 and is currently in bootcamp. i am SO VERY proud of him for getting some direction in his life and improving himself by joining the military and also so proud that he will be fighting for our country. he will be in the army.

i have no idea what to expect after his training. we plan to stay together through it all and get married (when the time is right), but i was wondering if maybe someone can sort of tell me what to expect? i know he'll be gone often, but is it hard to live close to base with your significant other and far away from your family? is it fun to travel alot?

and also, i've heard stories that all military wives have cheating soldiers and thats just "the way it is" with military families. now im not dumb enough to believe this is always the case, lol, but just wanted some opinions on that. i trust my man, and isnt the army really all about commitment anyways?

anyways, id like to hear other peoples stories also. he's been gone since october 26th and oh i miss him so much, the communication is SO limited and i just cant wait to see him over Christmas exodus.

thanks for reading :)

November 26, 2006, 3:20 am CST

HELLO ALL...

Hello Yes it's me!! I know that it's been a long time since I was last here, so sorry about that, but I'm here now!!

Anyway, I hope all is well with everyone here and also hope your loved ones that are oversea's right now are staying safe!!

To those of you that don't know me, well I will tell you abit about myself, first off my name is Kelly and I live in Sydney Australia, but soon to be living in Brisbane Australia!! I have been married to Mark for 15 years now and he has been in the Australian Army for close to 20 years.

We have a beautiful 4 year old daughter, Stephanie, who is just the best child.

In the time that we have been married, we have moved around abit, this next move that is coming up early next month will be my 6th move since we got married 15 years ago and it will be Mark's 8th or 9th move!!

While Mark hasn't been oversea's yet, he has had many times where he has had to go on long Courses and many excrises as well and the longest time that he and I have been apart was nearly 10 months, so I do understand what it is like not to have your hubby/partner there with you.

To those of you that are new to the Military way of life, please just take each day as it comes and yes there will be some hard times ahead when your loved one will have to go away oversea's or even on long Courses or whatever, but please know that you are not alone. If you need to talk to someone here or even if you were to find another wife or partner that knows what it's like to be alone for long periods of time, please do!! It's better to talk than to bottle things up and reget it later on or even to end up being depressed.

Also know that you as the partner or wife of a Serving Member are a very special person, as it's not just anyone that can become a Military wife!! I'm sure that you will more than understand what I mean by that one!! I know many women who have said to me, "How can I do it?" Be a Army wife that is!! Or "Don't you get sick of moving around?" All I say to them is that I love my man enough that I am more than willing to follow him around the country and that I am very proud to have my Man beside me!!

So, hold your heads up high and love the man that you are with and be very proud of him!!

Till next time, please Take Care and Bye-for-now, Love Kelly. Big Hug 

December 20, 2006, 4:42 pm CST

where did everyone go?

merry christmas to all my aussie mates...........

December 20, 2006, 4:50 pm CST

god blees all veterans and soldiers of today,and families.

thinking of you all on this christmas holidays.take care.

January 19, 2007, 6:35 pm CST

Lost

I have been stressed out since my husband was deployed to Afghanistan. I have lost almost 80 pounds and I keep hearing from my family that they think I have become an anorexic. I don't feel like I have lost any weight. I only know I lost weight when I try to put on some clothes. I am now 119 pounds and feel like I just need to lose 10 more pounds. I think that maybe my weight right now is all I can control so I am obsessed with the weight. My kids are having a hard time. I have twin 5 year olds that have autism and they do not understand why their father is not here. My 14 year old has been in honors classes for years and never has gotten a grade lower than a B and she came home today with an F in language arts, a D in History, and a C in Algebra. She is suppose to start High school next year and I'm worried this deployment is causing her to start to go down the wrong road. My husband has been gone for 8 months and we have 4 and a half left and I don't know if we are going to make it. I think we need some help but all our family are so far away we have no one to lean on.

January 20, 2007, 9:33 pm CST

HI, SENDING SOME SUPPORT YOUR WAY...

Quote From: ljsmhowie

I have been stressed out since my husband was deployed to Afghanistan. I have lost almost 80 pounds and I keep hearing from my family that they think I have become an anorexic. I don't feel like I have lost any weight. I only know I lost weight when I try to put on some clothes. I am now 119 pounds and feel like I just need to lose 10 more pounds. I think that maybe my weight right now is all I can control so I am obsessed with the weight. My kids are having a hard time. I have twin 5 year olds that have autism and they do not understand why their father is not here. My 14 year old has been in honors classes for years and never has gotten a grade lower than a B and she came home today with an F in language arts, a D in History, and a C in Algebra. She is suppose to start High school next year and I'm worried this deployment is causing her to start to go down the wrong road. My husband has been gone for 8 months and we have 4 and a half left and I don't know if we are going to make it. I think we need some help but all our family are so far away we have no one to lean on.

Hope it helps abit!!

I do understand somewhat of what you are going through, even though my hubby hasn't been oversea's yet, he has been away for long periods of time, before and after we had our daughter, Stephanie.

We have not long moved to a new posting and there may be a chance that hubby could go oversea's finally(He is really wanting to go overseas). Be it that I don't want him to go of course, but now with this new posting we are so much closer to my family. They are only about an hour's drive away not two days drive away!!

As to what's happening with you and your dear family, might I suggest that you try and get in touch with your hubby's Unit and see what sort of support system's they have for the families of the servicing member's. As they can be of alot of help at times like this when your own families are not close by. Also are you friends with other Army wives that have their hubby's away as well? If so, you can be of big help to each other.

If you would like to email me at anytime, please just look up my profile and you will find my email address. Would love to hear from you, so please just try and take each day as it comes, oh and one thing you could try with your daughter, would be to go and see her teacher(s) and have a good talk about things there. I'm sure that if they care enough about your daughter they will try to help her through all her problems with the school work.

Anyway, I hope to hear from you soon, till then please Take Care and Bye-for-now, Love Kelly.

April 5, 2007, 12:43 am CDT

HOW SO YALL DO IT??

hey i'm a military wife and this is our first place we have been stationed to.. OVER SEAS in Japan...i had to fly with a 2 year old and a 7 month old(at that time) and when i got here just in 2 weeks i was pregnant again.. so far from home.. and it seems like my husband is so far away but he lives with us..he is just never here.. how do yall do it?? i feel like a single mother.. i gave birth to our 2nd child without him there..and scared i'm going to have to do it with my last child also..please tell me how yall get through the hard times..i'm so stressed out..and my husband now  has an anger problem..<<ever since boot camp..maybe some pointers....

April 16, 2007, 6:47 pm CDT

HELLO MILITARY WIFE...

Quote From: ashleylynn86

hey i'm a military wife and this is our first place we have been stationed to.. OVER SEAS in Japan...i had to fly with a 2 year old and a 7 month old(at that time) and when i got here just in 2 weeks i was pregnant again.. so far from home.. and it seems like my husband is so far away but he lives with us..he is just never here.. how do yall do it?? i feel like a single mother.. i gave birth to our 2nd child without him there..and scared i'm going to have to do it with my last child also..please tell me how yall get through the hard times..i'm so stressed out..and my husband now  has an anger problem..<<ever since boot camp..maybe some pointers....

Have just finished reading your post here and I also had a quick look at your profile as well. Hope you don't mind that. Gee, you do have alot to cope with and you're only 21 years old. Good on you!!

I too, am a Army Wife and have been now nearly 16 years. My hubby has been in the Army here in Australia for just over 20 years.

In the time that we have been married, we have moved around abit, so I know what it's like going from place to place and trying to find and make new friends.

I'm sure that it must be so much harder for you, seen as you are in a different country and one that doesn't speak english. So, it must be very hard for you to get around there.

Are there any other American families there where you are? If so, maybe you could get to know some of them and who know's, you could end up with some great friendships along the way.

As to your hubby's anger problems, well I really think that he should go and see his Medical Officer about getting some help with that, as it will only get worst before it gets better.  Also, you need him to see that his anger is affecting you and your children as well and if he truly loves you all, then he will want to get some help!!

If you would like to keep in touch with me via email, well then go to my profile and get my email address. I would be more than happy to start a email friendship with you, if that's what you would like to do.

Hope to hear from you soon, till then please Take Care and Bye-for-now, Love Kelly.

May 28, 2007, 7:36 pm CDT

Husband wants to re-enlist

My husband enlisted in the Air Force 4 years ago, and for personal reasons left after 2 weeks of basic training. He now wants to enlist in the Army Reserves. I'm not sure how to support him in this. We aren't sure if they'll let him re-enlist or not. I want him to follow his dreams and do what he feels is right, but at the same time, I don't want him to be away for that long, or worse than that, give the ultimate sacrifice. How do I best support him?

May 30, 2007, 4:17 pm CDT

family in the military

First let me start by saying this is really hard. My husband and I have been together for 21 years. He is relisting in the Army National Gaurd after all this time. He will be in there within the next three weeks. Although I tell everyone he only will be there for three or four years before he can retire, I am scared to death. He has been out for over twenty years and now sometimes I feel like he is only doing it because his son, from a previous marriage, and our son together are both in the Army. My stepson is going on his third tour of Iraq soon and our son is going for his first around July 9th. I think he wants to prove that he is still as good as "his boys". My daughter who is 12 wants to go in the Army when she gets out of school because of her big brothers. This is so scary for me. I am very proud of both boys for what they are doing but I'm not sure I want my husband doing this at his age. I am also very proud of my daughter for having these career goals.  

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last