Message Boards

Topic : Military Families Support

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, February 12, 2006, 07:30:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a loved one serving in the military can be stressful especially during these trying times.  Share your support and advice with other service men and women, and family members of those proudly serving our country.

NOTE: This is a support board, not a debate board and any messages counterproductive to this topic will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 20, 2008, 9:27 pm CDT

Military Families Support

im here on behalf of the fact that im a military girlfriend. (air force)

alot of people forget my role, always adressing parents, spouses, and children.

but its equally hard for me.

we can't live together even if we wanted to (he's stuck in base dorms for 3 years), im the last to know if anything happens to him. I recieve no formal recognition for my sacrifices, nor do I recieve benefits or discounts like dependants do. (not that it matters much). I have to spend thousands of dollars totravel and see him for only a few days, and we often find ourselves trying to make our lives work together, him being in the service, e being in college. I chose to move a trhousand miles from home and go to school near him to make this work, and this is my only option really.

If he gets moved, I can't follow.

I can't even get on base in my own vehicle.

and the worst part is, I can't seem to find anyone else in my situation.

August 8, 2008, 2:49 pm CDT

thanks to the military

I wanted to say thanks to everyone that is serving in the military. i know it can be stressful because i know how it goes have a loved one in the military. 

August 8, 2008, 2:58 pm CDT

Quote From: okwpmom2012

Hi!!

I am shocked!!! I thought I was the ONLY ON IN THE WORLD who has lost a BUNCH of weight over this war like that! Whose husband has left and they have dropped the weight!  My husband left in Sept and I dropped about 47 lbs and people have absolutely freaked out!  I gained about 8 back and they have just now FINALLY backed off me a little!  I just want to SCREAM, "LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"  Just know you are not the only one who is going thru this.  I will pray for you!  I am now 128 lbs after gaining 8 back.  And we just found out our son has been accepted into West Point!  We are so proud of that.  However, hubby will miss that too!  He is missing so much this year it is not even funny.  He may get R&R in May, maybe not. I wanted him to get it in June or Aug so he could see the 2 most important events at West Pt. But it looks like that is not going to happen. So maybe now he can get May, the month he graduates HS.  My husband is in the Army fighting in OIF & your's is in OEF I see.  They are in different parts of the world but as far as I am conceerned, fighting the same war, same bad guys, looking for the same person!  I pray this will be over with SOON & they can & will get everything overwith soon so all can come home!  I will pray for your family that they will have peace & prosperity & that you will have a great Easter! 

I guess what Im having the hardest time with is that come late June, I with have both the guys in my family in the army, so I will be an ArmyWife & and ArmyMom! Im swelling with PRIDE two times over and with fear lots more than that.  But that is when I rely on my faith and leave it all in the hands who made them and gave them life! I KNOW they are making a difference for ALL and they and WE as the backbone & support are too!

BLESSINGS

B

i wish i could lose the weight that ive gained from my baby, while my husband was away at bootcamp but i gained because i would get so stressed cause i would be last to find things out and theres were time were i only got to talk to him once a month. but the one nice thing is i would always get a smile on my face when i would get a letter from him. the letters let me know that he was ok and that things was going good for him.  i can agree with the part of being an army wife but the army mom i cant agree with on the because my son isnt old enough to be in the army, his only 10 months old so ive got awhile to wait for that.  but good luck and keep in touch with me if you want to and then we can keep in touch with what is going on with our husbands since they both are in the army.  tell you husband and son thanks for serving their country and time.

August 21, 2008, 8:11 pm CDT

New to the Millitary life

Hi my name is Linda and my husband is Anthony and he is 33 yrs old and he just join the military. It was the hardest decision we ever made for our family, but i will always stand by his decision. He join the military on Feb. 2008 at the age of 33 yrs old and i was afraid for him, because he was not in a perfect shape for this  and compare to the younger guys that join the military, but i wanted to let every body know that he made it through boot camp in one peice and i'm so proud of him, he always wanted to join the military since he was younger, but with him not having a diploma the military denied him, but that's ok, now he is doing something that he really like and enjoyed and he is out there proctecting our country.

Now he is getting ready to be deploy to Iraq in a week and we are so sad and worry for him. We have 4 kids and my oldest is 15 yrs old and  my  youngest and only son is 3 yrs old and we will miss him so much. As the days get closer for him to be deploy, i get really sad and depressed and i don't want to let him know that i'm sad , so i  try my hardest to be happy for him and for my kids. I want to be strong for my husband and my kids, but as the days get closer, i don't know if i could be stay strong for him and my kids, i don't want him to worry about us and i don't want my kids to know that i'm sad and worry about their dad. I don't know if i could stay strong any longer, i think that i'm losing it and i cry every day in the shower, because i don't want anybody to see my crying. I'm really proud of him and all the soldiers out there. Now i'm having a hard time, right  now he is at home with us and we are enjoying every second together and we only have a couple of days left with him and just thinking about him leaving is making me so sad and i can't stop  crying, i'm sorry i have to stop now, i want to go and give my husband a hug and a kiss and tell him that i love him so much and we will be here waithing for him.

September 16, 2008, 11:07 am CDT

Military Family Support

Hello

Thanks for the post Dr Phil.  My husband has been to Iraq 3 times and is about to go on his first tour to Afganistan.  Its good to see all the support to the SOLDIERS families, lots of times WE are reconigized for our duties to the country as well.  We are not the ones over there fighting but We are home taking care of things praying that our loves make it back home soon.

Thanks again

gaarmywife3

HOORAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 16, 2008, 11:10 am CDT

Hi Linda

Quote From: rinhsamout

Hi my name is Linda and my husband is Anthony and he is 33 yrs old and he just join the military. It was the hardest decision we ever made for our family, but i will always stand by his decision. He join the military on Feb. 2008 at the age of 33 yrs old and i was afraid for him, because he was not in a perfect shape for this  and compare to the younger guys that join the military, but i wanted to let every body know that he made it through boot camp in one peice and i'm so proud of him, he always wanted to join the military since he was younger, but with him not having a diploma the military denied him, but that's ok, now he is doing something that he really like and enjoyed and he is out there proctecting our country.

Now he is getting ready to be deploy to Iraq in a week and we are so sad and worry for him. We have 4 kids and my oldest is 15 yrs old and  my  youngest and only son is 3 yrs old and we will miss him so much. As the days get closer for him to be deploy, i get really sad and depressed and i don't want to let him know that i'm sad , so i  try my hardest to be happy for him and for my kids. I want to be strong for my husband and my kids, but as the days get closer, i don't know if i could be stay strong for him and my kids, i don't want him to worry about us and i don't want my kids to know that i'm sad and worry about their dad. I don't know if i could stay strong any longer, i think that i'm losing it and i cry every day in the shower, because i don't want anybody to see my crying. I'm really proud of him and all the soldiers out there. Now i'm having a hard time, right  now he is at home with us and we are enjoying every second together and we only have a couple of days left with him and just thinking about him leaving is making me so sad and i can't stop  crying, i'm sorry i have to stop now, i want to go and give my husband a hug and a kiss and tell him that i love him so much and we will be here waithing for him.

From one miltary family to another, We wish you and Him great luck.  As my husband will tell His troops Keep Your head and MAY GOD SPEED!

gaarmywife32

September 16, 2008, 11:13 am CDT

Weight lost

Quote From: zauberer

i wish i could lose the weight that ive gained from my baby, while my husband was away at bootcamp but i gained because i would get so stressed cause i would be last to find things out and theres were time were i only got to talk to him once a month. but the one nice thing is i would always get a smile on my face when i would get a letter from him. the letters let me know that he was ok and that things was going good for him.  i can agree with the part of being an army wife but the army mom i cant agree with on the because my son isnt old enough to be in the army, his only 10 months old so ive got awhile to wait for that.  but good luck and keep in touch with me if you want to and then we can keep in touch with what is going on with our husbands since they both are in the army.  tell you husband and son thanks for serving their country and time.
I have too lost weight while my husband is gone.  But when He returns i gain it back, then loss it all over again.  With the media reporting all they do it is no wonder we have not suffered a heartattack

September 16, 2008, 2:21 pm CDT

The Last 15 Months

I am so glad that this outlet has been provided for Spouses and Family members of Military. I am at the very end of my first 15 month deployment. It has been a wonderful experience for so many reasons. I know that will sound odd to many who read this but hear me out. I have learned so much about myself as a Wife, Mother, and person in general. It hasn't been easy by any means.There was for example the day my 2 yr old colored on walls with a Sharpie Marker, my 7 yr old threw up EVERYWHERE, I had a flat tire before I was supposed to pick him from school and I had no clue how to change a tire! The dog chewed up a pair of new shoes, and I still had 100 cupcakes to ice for an FRG meeting. It gets crazy and there are days when EVERY Mom wants to run away from home and join the circus.  If I can give any pieces of advice it would be this. GET INVOLVED! Do what you can when you can do it within your military community. volunteer within the FRG, I know it can be a dirty word among wives, but get involved. You will learn a lot about the branch your spouse serves in, you will meet wives going through the same struggles. Keep in mind that whether you like some of the ladies or not that you all have something in common and you are family, however dysfunctional at times. There are so many great programs out there and new ones every day that can help you.  Stay Strong for your soldier. It should go without saying but keep in mind where he or she is and the mental strain that comes with the deployment for them. when you have that VTC, Phone call, email, snail mail whatever it is. Make that experience for him or her a safe haven. Where they don't have to solve or worry about the problems of home. Be honest with them always. Use the FRG and REAR D, part of their job is to help out Spouses in WHATEVER comes up during deployment. and finally do something for yourself. If its a bath, reading, meeting up with girlfriends, write a journal. But keep track of your experience, have your Spouse do it with you and exchange them upon homecoming. It's not easy and some days are harder than others but deployment will be what you make of it. I love you all and look forward to when ALL of our Soldiers come home!

September 16, 2008, 2:27 pm CDT

Quote From: rinhsamout

Linda, My heart and prayers go out to you and your Family. It's ok to be sad that your soldier is leaving. It's ok to cry and its ok for the kids to cry. it sucks! And no wife wants to send her husband off. Nor do the kids. You can do this. Wanna know how I know? You are an Military Wife. don't overcomplicate things by worrying if you can do them. Take it one day at a time and sometimes that day will have to be taken one hour and one minute at a time. But you can do this. You are not alone. Please feel free to contact me.

September 16, 2008, 3:08 pm CDT

Hi Neighbor!

Quote From: kimmyann

My name is Kim and I'm posting this even though my husband is a civilian.  He's been in Iraq 80% of the time since the war started.  I never know exactly when he's coming home until a few days before and I never know when he's leaving.  This is killing me.  I don't know how much longer I can sit here and wait for a real marriage.  To complicate matters, we (or I) have custody of his 12 year old son and we don't have any family or close friends here in Alabama.  Anyone else out there feel like me?
I'm right next door in Georgia! My husband is also a civilian working for the State Department in Iraq. My only son is also there. I feel your pain and can appreciate the how alone you must be feel. It is a huge sacrifice and know that you are contributing to your husband's mission by 'holding down the fort' here at home. 

First | Prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next | Last