Message Boards

Topic : Military Families Support

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, February 12, 2006, 07:30:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a loved one serving in the military can be stressful especially during these trying times.  Share your support and advice with other service men and women, and family members of those proudly serving our country.

NOTE: This is a support board, not a debate board and any messages counterproductive to this topic will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 13, 2006, 7:17 pm CST

HI RAYVINFIRE...

Quote From: rayvinfive

My best friend followed me into the military right after high school.  She is the sister I never had, and we have always been very close, until recently.  After talker to her this past weekend after hearing nothing for over six months, I don't know what to do.  Well,,,Read below. 

Date: September 2005  

I learned that my best friend of almost 15 years now will be deploying to Iraq in a month.  She was stationed in Korea and had some major issues that she was trying to work through, the biggest one being that she was raped while in Korea, and had suppressed the emotions and memories.  She wound up in the psych ward for a couple of days for that.  She was slowly getting better, then she found out that she was going to go play in the desert.  

Date: March 2006  

Six months later I had heard nothing from her and was worried.  Finally getting tired of waiting for her to get in touch with me I called her post's information line to try and find her.  They wouldn't give me her info, but that standard operating procedure.  They gave her my info, and all I could do was hope that she'd call.  She called, I was glad to hear her voice.  Until I found out that she had been home for three months and hadn't called or anything.  Her excuse was that she didn't have my number.  I was all prepared to yell at her for not getting in touch earlier, until she told me why she was home.  

While she was in Iraq she got really depressed and eventually tried to kill herself.  That took all the wind out of my sails.  I couldn't yell at her, I couldn't be mad at her.  I couldn't feel anything but dissapointed in myself for not being there for her when she needed me the most.  

Now that I know she's home, and that she needs me I don't really know what to do.  I really want to know the details of why, but that seems rather insensitive now when I think about the whole situation.  All I really want to do is swoop her up and giver her a bear hug for a year or so until she's "better" or "normal".  She is my sister in heart, and I would do anything I could for her.  I hate it that I wasn't there for her when she needed me, and I hate it now that I have life responsibilites that prevent me from being with her right now.  I hate that there is a two hour drive one way to see her.  My heart hurts for her, and I would dearly love to taker her pain away and make her happy again.  

How do you deal with a suicide attempt?  What do you say?  How do you act?  What don't you say?  What don't you do?  Why wasn't I there when she needed me?  

Just wanted to write and let you know that I do know what it's like when someone close to you trys to take their life. This happened to my sister quite afew years ago now, but it makes me upset to think that my sister could have been taken away from me forever. 

The day that my sister took so many tablets, she did it more to get our attention than to kill herself. She needed help big time and this was the only way she felt that we would sit up and take notice. Well we did sit up thats forsure.  

Even though I don't know your dear friend, I feel that maybe your friend was calling out for help rather than she wanted to kill herself. It was a terrible thing that happened to her, being raped and I guess that the American Defence Force is very much like the Australian Defence Force where they are just not there so to speak for their soliders when it comes to this sort of thing. Yes, your friend might have got some help after the rape, but I bet she was more or less made to put the rape out of her mind and just get on with her job, would I be right there?! 

And so your friend had to get on with her life and go and play in Iraq!! And while she was over there things would have been going over and over in her mind and she would have being living that rape over and over again, and one day she would have finally had enough and said to herself that she wanted some help but she couldn't get anyone to listen to her, so what she felt she had to do was to make people take notice of her and she did this. 

As to what you can do for your dear friend, just let her know that you are there for her and that if she needs you, you will try your best to get to her. Yes, I know it's hard when you are so far away and if you have children well they can make things abit harder, but even if you just get on the phone and talk to her as often as you are able to and let her know that you are just a phone call away so that at anytime she needs to talk you will be there to listen. 

As to how to act, just be the loving friend that she knows you to be, don't go changing yourself when you are around her. She knows the real you, so just be you. 

As to what not to say or do, well I don't know about that one, other than to just say to you that if she wants to talk about the rape, tell her that she can talk you about it if it will help her in anyway. Just don't go judging her because of what happened to her, re the rape or the suicide attempt. 

Lastly don't go being so hard on yourself because you weren't there for her. She needed some time to herself to help herself to get better. She knows that if you could have been there for her you would have, but also know that you couldn't have known how she was really feeling if she didn't want you to know at the time. 

Just start from today being there for her, take things one day at a time. 

Please TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

March 14, 2006, 12:59 am CST

Military Families Support

March 15, 2006, 10:18 am CST

Military Families Support

March 20, 2006, 8:54 pm CST

Thank you much

Quote From: ceders2

Just wanted to write and let you know that I do know what it's like when someone close to you trys to take their life. This happened to my sister quite afew years ago now, but it makes me upset to think that my sister could have been taken away from me forever. 

The day that my sister took so many tablets, she did it more to get our attention than to kill herself. She needed help big time and this was the only way she felt that we would sit up and take notice. Well we did sit up thats forsure.  

Even though I don't know your dear friend, I feel that maybe your friend was calling out for help rather than she wanted to kill herself. It was a terrible thing that happened to her, being raped and I guess that the American Defence Force is very much like the Australian Defence Force where they are just not there so to speak for their soliders when it comes to this sort of thing. Yes, your friend might have got some help after the rape, but I bet she was more or less made to put the rape out of her mind and just get on with her job, would I be right there?! 

And so your friend had to get on with her life and go and play in Iraq!! And while she was over there things would have been going over and over in her mind and she would have being living that rape over and over again, and one day she would have finally had enough and said to herself that she wanted some help but she couldn't get anyone to listen to her, so what she felt she had to do was to make people take notice of her and she did this. 

As to what you can do for your dear friend, just let her know that you are there for her and that if she needs you, you will try your best to get to her. Yes, I know it's hard when you are so far away and if you have children well they can make things abit harder, but even if you just get on the phone and talk to her as often as you are able to and let her know that you are just a phone call away so that at anytime she needs to talk you will be there to listen. 

As to how to act, just be the loving friend that she knows you to be, don't go changing yourself when you are around her. She knows the real you, so just be you. 

As to what not to say or do, well I don't know about that one, other than to just say to you that if she wants to talk about the rape, tell her that she can talk you about it if it will help her in anyway. Just don't go judging her because of what happened to her, re the rape or the suicide attempt. 

Lastly don't go being so hard on yourself because you weren't there for her. She needed some time to herself to help herself to get better. She knows that if you could have been there for her you would have, but also know that you couldn't have known how she was really feeling if she didn't want you to know at the time. 

Just start from today being there for her, take things one day at a time. 

After I wrote this I actually heard from my friend.  She does considere herself a failure and is having a hard time dealing with that idea (totally false might I add).  I do think that her attempted suicide was a desperate cry for help.  As fro the military, having been there myself, the Army's motto is: Mission First.  Fill in the blanks as for the rest of it. 

Thank you Kelly 

March 20, 2006, 9:37 pm CST

NO WORRIES THERE...

Quote From: rayvinfive

After I wrote this I actually heard from my friend.  She does considere herself a failure and is having a hard time dealing with that idea (totally false might I add).  I do think that her attempted suicide was a desperate cry for help.  As fro the military, having been there myself, the Army's motto is: Mission First.  Fill in the blanks as for the rest of it. 

Thank you Kelly 

Glad to be of some help to you and I hope that your friend is now slowly starting to heal and hopefully things will start to look better for her in the coming days and weeks that she has ahead of her. 

PS, It sounds like the US Army is just the same as the AUST Army with their motto: Mission first, stuff the family!! 

March 23, 2006, 5:19 am CST

blue

hello 

was wondering how Mr and Mrs blue are doing today? 

we sure miss you blue when your away 

we understand the eyes must rest 

and your health isnt aways the best 

want you to take care yourself first over everything else 

priority 1 is yourself 

but know you are missed  

and wish you all the best 

my prayers are with you and mike and his wife and kids as well 

hugs 

vickie 

March 23, 2006, 8:48 am CST

A listening ear

I am the wife of a soldier in the U.S. Army.  We've just been stationed at Fort Bliss, and it is hard to make friends.  Most of my husbands friends are single soldiers, so while they are great guys and love coming over for a "home-cooked meal", they don't have any spouses for me to relate with.  Being fairly new to the military life, I welcome any advice from other wives.  Thanks y'all!

March 23, 2006, 4:09 pm CST

HI TO YOU...

Quote From: txarmywife

I am the wife of a soldier in the U.S. Army.  We've just been stationed at Fort Bliss, and it is hard to make friends.  Most of my husbands friends are single soldiers, so while they are great guys and love coming over for a "home-cooked meal", they don't have any spouses for me to relate with.  Being fairly new to the military life, I welcome any advice from other wives.  Thanks y'all!

Just wanted to say there I have been there, years ago where you are now and I know that all the other's that come here will tell you that as well. 

Are there other familes where you are? If so, maybe you could go and say hi to them. I know how hard it is to make new friends as my hubby and I have moved alot in the time that we have been married, but hubby and I just go and say hi to our new neighbours when we first move into our new married quarter. 

Sometimes you have to make the first move to get to know the other's around you, but then again if you are living on base then normally some of the wives would make themselves be known I would think!! 

Anyway, I'm sure that you will do fine at finding some new friends and remember to keep checking on here as there alot of great people that come to the Dr.Phil website. I've been coming here since Dec 2002 and have made many great friends along the way. 

Well you TAKE CARE and hope to hear from you again soon, LOVE KELLY. Big Hug  

PS, If you would like to keep in touch via email, please look into my profile and you will find my email address.

March 30, 2006, 3:15 pm CST

Guess Who?

Had to go on a trip
Have much to do
May be awhile
Until I get back to you

Blue

April 5, 2006, 11:31 pm CDT

Where is Blue?

Got back from my trip
Became VERY SICK
Then my MOTHER passed