Message Boards

Topic : Military Families Support

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, February 12, 2006, 07:30:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a loved one serving in the military can be stressful especially during these trying times.  Share your support and advice with other service men and women, and family members of those proudly serving our country.

NOTE: This is a support board, not a debate board and any messages counterproductive to this topic will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 27, 2006, 10:37 am CDT

So happy to find this message board!!

My husband is leaving tommorow out of El Paso and going to Iraq. My brother left last week for Afgan..... out of NC.    

April 28, 2006, 2:36 am CDT

Iraq War Veteran/Police Chief's House Arsoned/Burglarized

I don't know if any of you saw this national news article or not.  It wasn't national news until around the 21st of Jan. but could be found on major stations such as Fox News, Yahoo News, CNN, etc...   

Basically, the situation is this:  In a small central Georgia community, two officers used an unmarked vehicle in order to serve warrants to some of the citizens in town.  One such citizen had been avoiding police for several months and was taken into custody that night.  While in police custody, he began having trouble breathing.  The officers placed the man in the patrol vehicle parked nearby and went to the police department.  While enroute, they notified EMS to have an ambulance on the way and called the Police Chief at home and asked him to meet them at the police department. 

When the Police Chief arrived, he attempted CPR and then drove the ambulance to a nearby hospital to allow the two EMS workers to concentrate on the ill man.  The GBI, GA State Patrol, and several other surrounding agencies were called and dispatched to the city when a group of around 100 citizens began throwing rocks at the police department and personal vehicles of the two officers involved. 

The Police Chief requested that the neighboring SWAT vehicle go to his home, which was less than two blocks from the police station, in order to evacuate his pregnant wife and two small children.  Roughly an hour later, the crowd in town was disbanded and the Chief's house was reported to be fully engulfed in flames.  It was later determined that the house was burglarized first. 

The town has been in turmoil ever since.  There have been rumors flying that the Chief, himself, stood on the neck of the deceased man and that he burned his own house down to cause chaos.  It has been three months since this incident and, while the DA does have the full report from the GBI, that office has not released any information to the public.  John Oxendine, the Insurance Commissioner for GA, has offered a $10,000 reward to anyone offering information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) involved in the arson/burglary and would like to see the prosecution of such individuals be deemed "domestic terrorism".  However, the "good people" in town are very scared that if they speak up, they will be retaliated against as well. 

There have been no calls to the arson hotline with any information.  Meanwhile, this family is separated with the wife and children living in Metro Atlanta with family and the Chief staying with friends in the area so that he can continue to do his job.  The Chief had just returned from a ten month tour of duty in Iraq and the family had only been under the same roof living as a family for one month.  The due date for their unborn child is quickly approaching and there is rumor that the military might send him back overseas in Sept. 

Does anyone have any advice for this family as far as how to handle this crisis emotionally?  We would greatly appreciate it. 

April 28, 2006, 10:06 am CDT

Some info

Quote From: rstewart

I don't know if any of you saw this national news article or not.  It wasn't national news until around the 21st of Jan. but could be found on major stations such as Fox News, Yahoo News, CNN, etc...   

Basically, the situation is this:  In a small central Georgia community, two officers used an unmarked vehicle in order to serve warrants to some of the citizens in town.  One such citizen had been avoiding police for several months and was taken into custody that night.  While in police custody, he began having trouble breathing.  The officers placed the man in the patrol vehicle parked nearby and went to the police department.  While enroute, they notified EMS to have an ambulance on the way and called the Police Chief at home and asked him to meet them at the police department. 

When the Police Chief arrived, he attempted CPR and then drove the ambulance to a nearby hospital to allow the two EMS workers to concentrate on the ill man.  The GBI, GA State Patrol, and several other surrounding agencies were called and dispatched to the city when a group of around 100 citizens began throwing rocks at the police department and personal vehicles of the two officers involved. 

The Police Chief requested that the neighboring SWAT vehicle go to his home, which was less than two blocks from the police station, in order to evacuate his pregnant wife and two small children.  Roughly an hour later, the crowd in town was disbanded and the Chief's house was reported to be fully engulfed in flames.  It was later determined that the house was burglarized first. 

The town has been in turmoil ever since.  There have been rumors flying that the Chief, himself, stood on the neck of the deceased man and that he burned his own house down to cause chaos.  It has been three months since this incident and, while the DA does have the full report from the GBI, that office has not released any information to the public.  John Oxendine, the Insurance Commissioner for GA, has offered a $10,000 reward to anyone offering information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person(s) involved in the arson/burglary and would like to see the prosecution of such individuals be deemed "domestic terrorism".  However, the "good people" in town are very scared that if they speak up, they will be retaliated against as well. 

There have been no calls to the arson hotline with any information.  Meanwhile, this family is separated with the wife and children living in Metro Atlanta with family and the Chief staying with friends in the area so that he can continue to do his job.  The Chief had just returned from a ten month tour of duty in Iraq and the family had only been under the same roof living as a family for one month.  The due date for their unborn child is quickly approaching and there is rumor that the military might send him back overseas in Sept. 

Does anyone have any advice for this family as far as how to handle this crisis emotionally?  We would greatly appreciate it. 

The military has family centers that could help them out. His unit should have info on this. I believe he should be able to use them.   

Good luck, I'm so sorry to hear all that.  

April 28, 2006, 12:06 pm CDT

Thank you for the suggestion, but we've tried that

Quote From: idunowhy

The military has family centers that could help them out. His unit should have info on this. I believe he should be able to use them.   

Good luck, I'm so sorry to hear all that.  

Actually, we've tried that.  He's a reservist and not entitiled to the same military benefits as an active duty member.  In addition, the nearest base (to the wife and children) is at least a 45 minute drive away in the metro area.  The Chief is living 2 and 1/2 hours south of there and working 12 hour shifts 5 days a week (6am - 6pm). 

What I'm really curious about is whether or not this situation would be considered a "hardship" and deemed such so that he would not have to return to Iraq.  If so, how and when do we file such "hardship"? 

April 28, 2006, 4:05 pm CDT

Sorry about that

Quote From: rstewart

Actually, we've tried that.  He's a reservist and not entitiled to the same military benefits as an active duty member.  In addition, the nearest base (to the wife and children) is at least a 45 minute drive away in the metro area.  The Chief is living 2 and 1/2 hours south of there and working 12 hour shifts 5 days a week (6am - 6pm). 

What I'm really curious about is whether or not this situation would be considered a "hardship" and deemed such so that he would not have to return to Iraq.  If so, how and when do we file such "hardship"? 

I know of some one in the reserves that was came back because his son was ADHD and his wife couldn't handle it. He would be best served if he saw or called a Military Chaplain. He or she could help him out with this and could point him in the right direction. That is what most Active duty people do when they need help. Do reservist have Chaplains? I don't know much about the reservist  and I'm sorry for that. My husband is leaving in a few hours to go there himself and is not here to advise. If that doesn't work I would have him go to the VA and ask them to help him. He is a Vet now and I'm sure they would help as much as possible.  

May 1, 2006, 5:26 am CDT

Suggestions?

Hi everyone.....I'm new to this board and so nice to see all the support out here! :)  I am getting ready to send a loved one of mine a care package and was wondering if you could help with some suggestions of what to put in it....????  I have a few thoughts, but I'm now at a loss and would love to fill the box up.....so if you have any thoughts, I would be thrilled to hear them!  

Thanks and GOD BLESS!!!! :):):)  

May 1, 2006, 2:28 pm CDT

Military Families Support

Quote From: zjajmom

Hi everyone.....I'm new to this board and so nice to see all the support out here! :)  I am getting ready to send a loved one of mine a care package and was wondering if you could help with some suggestions of what to put in it....????  I have a few thoughts, but I'm now at a loss and would love to fill the box up.....so if you have any thoughts, I would be thrilled to hear them!  

Thanks and GOD BLESS!!!! :):):)  

My son-in-law loves chocolate, I send him that and baked 

goods. That is one thing they miss is anything from home. 

Just have to be careful, it can take 1-2 weeks to get there. 

I send razors for shaving and pictures, CD's. They have 

times off and get really bored.  

My SIL is supposed to be home in June, YAY! 

May 1, 2006, 4:10 pm CDT

Quote From: curly_1

My son-in-law loves chocolate, I send him that and baked 

goods. That is one thing they miss is anything from home. 

Just have to be careful, it can take 1-2 weeks to get there. 

I send razors for shaving and pictures, CD's. They have 

times off and get really bored.  

My SIL is supposed to be home in June, YAY! 

Thanks!  I'll keep that in mind...congrats on him being home in June!!!!  :):):):)

May 8, 2006, 5:24 pm CDT

Thank you

As a returning solder, I want to send my thanks to everyone who supported us and our efforts. 

I exspecially want to thank you all for the support you gave by sending care packages. For everyone who dont know, we received many care packages from schools, parents, organizations, and various online services such as `Operation AC` (http://www.operationac.org), and `Books for Soldiers` (http://www.booksforsoldiers.com). 

For anyone intersted in showing your support, if you choose to send care packages, soldiers serving in Iraq and Afganistan love recieving books, hard candy, socks (Lost of socks), and Letters. The Letters we received, bring us hope for one day returning. Iraq is so different than here in the US. I admit, alot of people are very friendly and just need our help... but its not home, no matter how much we try to make it. One other things soldiers really need is phone cards. Calling home is so expensive. We estimated it cost 90 cents per min to call home (At&t Rates). So what you can send is much appreciated, no matter how little. 

Once again, If noone else does this, I'd like to thank you all for your support, and please remember the soldiers that are currently over their, and keep praying for the families who have lost loved ones cause of this war. 

May 9, 2006, 9:56 am CDT

Quote From: adkins147

As a returning solder, I want to send my thanks to everyone who supported us and our efforts. 

I exspecially want to thank you all for the support you gave by sending care packages. For everyone who dont know, we received many care packages from schools, parents, organizations, and various online services such as Operation AC (http://www.operationac.org), and Books for Soldiers (http://www.booksforsoldiers.com). 

For anyone intersted in showing your support, if you choose to send care packages, soldiers serving in Iraq and Afganistan love recieving books, hard candy, socks (Lost of socks), and Letters. The Letters we received, bring us hope for one day returning. Iraq is so different than here in the US. I admit, alot of people are very friendly and just need our help... but its not home, no matter how much we try to make it. One other things soldiers really need is phone cards. Calling home is so expensive. We estimated it cost 90 cents per min to call home (At&t Rates). So what you can send is much appreciated, no matter how little. 

Once again, If noone else does this, I'd like to thank you all for your support, and please remember the soldiers that are currently over their, and keep praying for the families who have lost loved ones cause of this war. 

We THANK YOU!!!!!! 

And GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!! 

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last