Message Boards

Topic : Military Families Support

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, February 12, 2006, 07:30:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a loved one serving in the military can be stressful especially during these trying times.  Share your support and advice with other service men and women, and family members of those proudly serving our country.

NOTE: This is a support board, not a debate board and any messages counterproductive to this topic will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 13, 2006, 8:34 pm CST

Happy Blue Monday! mjkkas, Kim & Kelly! Happy to see/ all THREE! / maybe tomorrow three MORE/ We’ll see... /

I’m coming in to post with my Blue hat on
No time tonight for a write-a-thon!
I’ve been around the block
And I’m back again
Let’s keep-up what we’re doing
I know we can!

I will be back soon
WHO knows
WHO I’ll be?
Don’t shoot!
... See the WHITE
Of my eyes?
... IT’S ME!

That rhyme was so bad. I am so pooped. Here is some “canned” Blue (RECYCLED “stuff”) --Wishing you well, until tomorrow.
Blue

a.k.a. Kathy
Mike’s Mom

Some of us get around a lot
Some just stay put in one spot
To each his own --that’s the best way
Blue just popped in here to say

ALL THE SUPPORT YOU CAN GET!
It’s here on drphil.com --YOU BET!
Sometimes it’s good to take a walk
Around the neighborhood and “listen” to the talk

Sometime you hear giggles
Or you feel uncomfortable wiggles
Sometime you hear tears
Or find folks who drink
Too many beers!

There are all kinds of things that you might hear
But you will won’t be discouraged at what you HEAR --HERE!

February 14, 2006, 11:46 am CST

Kathy

Quote From: blue_white

Im coming in to post with my Blue hat on
No time tonight for a write-a-thon!
Ive been around the block
And Im back again
Lets keep-up what were doing
I know we can!

I will be back soon
WHO knows
WHO Ill be?
Dont shoot!
... See the WHITE
Of my eyes?
... ITS ME!

That rhyme was so bad. I am so pooped. Here is some canned Blue (RECYCLED stuff) --Wishing you well, until tomorrow.
Blue

a.k.a. Kathy
Mikes Mom

Some of us get around a lot
Some just stay put in one spot
To each his own --thats the best way
Blue just popped in here to say

ALL THE SUPPORT YOU CAN GET!
Its here on drphil.com --YOU BET!
Sometimes its good to take a walk
Around the neighborhood and listen to the talk

Sometime you hear giggles
Or you feel uncomfortable wiggles
Sometime you hear tears
Or find folks who drink
Too many beers!

There are all kinds of things that you might hear
But you will wont be discouraged at what you HEAR --HERE!

You are so good at that! It would take me  

forever to come up with something as clever  

as you, with your poem there. It is so true, LOL! 

I have been on the boards for about 1 year now, 

lots of different topics and lots of different  

people, it is great! 

February 14, 2006, 11:56 am CST

To Sweet Kelly

Quote From: ceders2

Please don't ever think that you are whining when you come here to this board, if it helps for you to vent your feelings then please do so, but also know that you are not whining at all. You are just saying what you feel at the time and there is nothing wrong with that. 

By the way, my name is Kelly and my husband is in the Australian Army, yes I'm an Aussie girl and I have been coming to the Dr.Phil boards since about Dec 2002 and have made many a friendship alot the way. I first found Kathy/"Mike's Mum" on the 1 more yellow ribbon board and have become friends with her. And now thanks to Kathy and Dr.Phil we now have this message board. 

Anyway, I can't say that I do fully understand how you feel because I'm not in your shoes, but I do know what it's like when my hubby goes away and I miss him so badly. He has never been to Iraq yet, but who's to say that it will not happen one of these days!! He has been away from home quite afew times throughout our marriage and the longest was 9 months, luckly in a way those 9 months was well before we had our daughter, so it was just me, the dog, and cat!! 

It's very different now that we do have our little girl, she is now 3 and a half. So, when Mark does go away things are very different for me, as I have to take over doing everything in the house, not that that has ever been a problem, but I have found a new respect for single Mum's that have no choice in the matter of raising their children by themselves. Atleast when Mark is home, he does do things to help around the house and such!! 

Now you were saying also that you feel that you could be quite depressed and I truly don't blame you at all if you are, as I ended up last year having my first lot of Depression when Mark was away for 6 weeks on a Course. After many years of him going away I was quite use to it and then this last time it just seemed like I couldn't cope real well and I did end up with Depression.  

As soon as I knew that this was the reason for me crying two days in a row and not stopping I knew that I had to get help this I did do, and now I'm doing 110% better. So, please talk to a Social Worker atleast and I know that you will get some help. Also go and see your Doctor and have a good talk with him/her thats what they are there for. And just take things one day at a time and see how you go!! 

And if you ever need to talk please email me, my email is in my profile, please TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

Thank you too for the words of encouragement.  I want you to know that I started seeing a psychiatrist 2 weeks ago when it came apparent that I couldn't hold it together anymore.  While I am working on "issues" I am a walking pharmacy.  I take 450 mg Wellbutrin, 3 zanax a day, and 2 Lunesta to sleep.  I know all these drugs are a crutch but according to my husband I am not allowed to have a nervous breakdown until he gets home.  He swears up and down that this is his last trip to Iraq and I really want to believe it but I've heard that one before.  I remember when we were dating he said "If we ever go to war, your really gonna hate my job."  He couldn't have been more right about that!  I believe that 4 years is a sufficient sacrifice for my family though, don't you think?  Hug that little one of yours. 

Much Love, Kim 

PS  I am celebrating 2 days without tears and you all have helped me do it.  THANK YOU! 

February 14, 2006, 7:23 pm CST

GOOD EVENING KIM...

Quote From: kimmyann

Thank you too for the words of encouragement.  I want you to know that I started seeing a psychiatrist 2 weeks ago when it came apparent that I couldn't hold it together anymore.  While I am working on "issues" I am a walking pharmacy.  I take 450 mg Wellbutrin, 3 zanax a day, and 2 Lunesta to sleep.  I know all these drugs are a crutch but according to my husband I am not allowed to have a nervous breakdown until he gets home.  He swears up and down that this is his last trip to Iraq and I really want to believe it but I've heard that one before.  I remember when we were dating he said "If we ever go to war, your really gonna hate my job."  He couldn't have been more right about that!  I believe that 4 years is a sufficient sacrifice for my family though, don't you think?  Hug that little one of yours. 

Much Love, Kim 

PS  I am celebrating 2 days without tears and you all have helped me do it.  THANK YOU! 

Good to hear from you and glad to be able to help you in any way I can. Please know that there is nothing wrong what so ever with being on tablets to help you get through each day right now, your Doctor saw that you needed this help otherwise he/she would not have put you on these tablets. By the way, I'm still on Anti-depression tablets myself and have been for nearly a year. I saw my Doctor today for a reveiw and she is happy for me to keep taking them for as long as I might need them. I'm only taking a half tablet 10mg, so it's not like I'm taking alot but what I am taking is helping to keep me "Normal" so to speak!! 

I really hope that this time what your hubby has said about this being his last trip is true, course I know that you really can't cope with the thought right now that IF he does have to go back, here's hoping and crossing everything that can be crossed!! 

Is it helping you to see your Psychiatrist? If so, how many times per week do you get to see him/her?  

When I was seeing a Social Worker, at first it was once a week, then once every 2 weeks and then once every 3 weeks. It was great that she was able to come here to my home, so I didn't have to be worrying about having to drive out to where she worked and not having to worry about if Stephanie needed to have a sleep or whatever. And another nice thing was that I didn't have to pay a cent to have her come here as she was employed by the Australian Defence Force and worked in whats called the Defence Community Organistion.  

Susi(The Social Worker) was so good with Stephanie when she was here, if Stephanie wanted to get up on Susi's lap then Susi would pick her up and put her on her lap and they would play tea parties together. As Susi said, it better to include the children in these things than to exclude them. 

Anyway today when I saw my Doctor she was very happy to see how well I am doing now, I really do feel heaps better, mind you I still do get the blues once in a while but hey that happens and I know that it should never get as bad as it did when I first had my depression. This will happen with you too. Life will get better for you too, but also know that you will have up and down days and thats ok. And if you feel like having a good cry, have a good cry it can really help you lots, but also know that if you can't stop crying then thats not real good. I knew this to be true when I spent two days in a row crying and not knowing how to stop!! Thats when I called out for help. 

Well my dear friend, please TAKE CARE and know that you are not alone and that you can always come on here and just talk about how you are feeling at that moment, be it good or bad!! 

Bye-for-now, LOVE KELLY. 

February 15, 2006, 6:51 pm CST

I get the Blues a lot too! LOL

Just checking in. I’m sick --having a bad allergic reaction to a new medication! At least I'm in-tune with your discussion! Right medicine = GOOD! Wrong medicine = BAD. A least I didn't have to go to "ER" this time! This has happened to me before, but not for several years. Will see Doctor tomorrow. Later, You know WHO

February 16, 2006, 2:37 pm CST

Hi all! Just another short note...

I’m back from the doctor and NO WORSE! Also NO BETTER.

I have to take Benadryl and watch and wait for 48 hours. If it’s NO WORSE, then I’m out of the woods. The reaction is pretty ugly. I looking AND FEELING pretty “ugly” too! My face is about falling-off! All red and puffy. Yuck! Now I'm really red-white-and-blue! I'll be back for the gory details later.

red_face_white (lol)

February 16, 2006, 2:53 pm CST

OH MY

Im back from the doctor and NO WORSE! Also NO BETTER.

I have to take Benadryl and watch and wait for 48 hours. If its NO WORSE, then Im out of the woods. The reaction is pretty ugly. I looking AND FEELING pretty ugly too! My face is about falling-off! All red and puffy. Yuck! Now I'm really red-white-and-blue! I'll be back for the gory details later.

red_face_white (lol)

At least you are laughing? I do hope you get better soon. 

Sorry you are going through all this, YUK! 

Take care! 

February 16, 2006, 7:04 pm CST

GOOD EVENING KATHY/"MIKE'S MUM"...

Im back from the doctor and NO WORSE! Also NO BETTER.

I have to take Benadryl and watch and wait for 48 hours. If its NO WORSE, then Im out of the woods. The reaction is pretty ugly. I looking AND FEELING pretty ugly too! My face is about falling-off! All red and puffy. Yuck! Now I'm really red-white-and-blue! I'll be back for the gory details later.

red_face_white (lol)

Sorry to hear that you've had a abit of reaction to your med's. I hope that things are starting to settle down now for you, meaning your face!! Red  

Atleast you know that you can't take that medication now, can you?!  

Well other than your face, how are you going Kathy? How's Mike and his family? Hope all is well with them all, please TAKE CARE and hope to hear from you soon, LOVE KELLY. Big Hug 

February 16, 2006, 7:25 pm CST

Hi Everyone

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new here.  I just started a diary today.   I can't sleep right now,  so I've been poking around on the message boards here. 

My husband deployed today, and  I'm so happy to have stumbled onto this Military Families Support Board.   

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. 

-J. 

February 17, 2006, 10:54 am CST

Still NO WORSE! But also no better!

Now I'm less RED but my eyes are slanty-shut. Hard to read! But I can read enough to see we have some welcoming to do! Blue

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last