Message Boards

Topic : Military Families Support

Number of Replies: 166
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Sunday, February 12, 2006, 07:30:53 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a loved one serving in the military can be stressful especially during these trying times.  Share your support and advice with other service men and women, and family members of those proudly serving our country.

NOTE: This is a support board, not a debate board and any messages counterproductive to this topic will be removed.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 17, 2006, 11:49 am CST

J. / misfitgrrl WELCOME to the MILITARY FAMILIES SUPPORT BOARD!

We are so glad you found this Message Board! You are getting in on the ground floor here. As you see your message is on page one! Please read back to acquaint yourself with what’s been happening here and we will introduce ourselves to you. You will find support here. We know where you’re coming from and day-by-day we are going strive together to get through these tough times.

I took a trip over to your Shared Diary. I love the name of it. The pictures are great. Please post some of those here. I’d love to see everyone post pictures. Some of what you wrote may help others here too, so feel free to CUT & PASTE anything you would like to share to this board.

For those who haven’t tried The Shared Diaries, they are a wonderful idea to consider. You won’t always have the opportunity to talk to your loved ones direct on a day-to-day basis but you can share what you have written with them long distance or later perhaps. Seeing the support you are getting from others can make our soldiers fell good too. Or just use the diary to lay down some burdens. Sometimes folks read what you write so you can make friends that way or you can keep your diary private.

It is not accident you found this board the day your husband left! These things happen for a reason. We are very glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know you and your family.

Thank for your post. Best wishes for the 365 (-2). Hope to see you tomorrow!

Kathy
a.k.a. Mike’s Mom

February 17, 2006, 12:16 pm CST

TGIF! mjkkas, Kim & Kelly! Saturday to go and we are through WEEK ONE! And then we were 5!

Next TGIF
How many?
Or will there be any?
Each family that we reach
Has something here to teach
What will next week bring?
We may cry
But we will sing
We will stand together here
While someone dear
Is OVER THERE
Blue

February 18, 2006, 3:38 am CST

WELCOME MISFITGRRL...

Quote From: misfitgrrl

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new here.  I just started a diary today.   I can't sleep right now,  so I've been poking around on the message boards here. 

My husband deployed today, and  I'm so happy to have stumbled onto this Military Families Support Board.   

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. 

-J. 

It's great to see you here, please stick around as we are all lovely people here that are more than willing to give any support that you might need while your hubby is away. 

Do you know how long it will be that he will be away for? I hope that the time passes very quickly for you both. 

My hubby is in the Australian Army and has been for 19 years now. Even though he's not overseas I do know what it's like when he goes away on Courses and Exercises. 

So please feel free to come here to tell us how you are feeling at that time or even if you need to vent and or let off steam!! We are here for you when you need us!! 

Please TAKE CARE and welcome, LOVE KELLY. Hello 

February 20, 2006, 1:04 pm CST

Military Wife

Hi I am in Kansas and my husband was just deployed to Iraq for the first time. I am so scared and worried about him. I am left here being a single mom to a 4 year old daughter. I am so stressed out all the time. I need some support and a break. I need to find some me time. I need some help on trying to cope with this for the next 10 months until my husband returns.

February 20, 2006, 1:18 pm CST

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for such a warm welcome! It's so nice to find a place where I can meet others who have a loved one serving. 

I'm feeling a lot better now.  I'm getting adjusted to a new routine, so that takes time.  But, I know everything will be all right. 

Hi amrbmp24!  Are you at Ft. Riley or McConnel Air Force Base?  As a kid, my dad was stationed at McConnel, so I spent some of my childhood there.  He now lives part time in Abilene, KS, so when I've gone to visit him, we've driven over to Ft. Riley occasionally.   

My husband's also deployed, so I can relate to what you're going through.  If you want to email me you can, my address is jcoomer10 at hotmail.com 

February 20, 2006, 1:26 pm CST

Military Families Support

Quote From: amrbmp24

Hi I am in Kansas and my husband was just deployed to Iraq for the first time. I am so scared and worried about him. I am left here being a single mom to a 4 year old daughter. I am so stressed out all the time. I need some support and a break. I need to find some me time. I need some help on trying to cope with this for the next 10 months until my husband returns.

I also know how it's like trying to pass time when you have a little one to take care of.   

Do you have anyone reliable that can babysit once in awhile so you can do things, like go to the hair salon occasionally?  If not, I highly recommend finding out who the local girl scout leader is, a lot of times, through them you can find a reliable teenager who's working on her babysitting badge, or would like to make some extra money.  I found a REALLY great babysitter that way when we 1st got here.  I found the number for the girl scouts in our phonebook, called it and the lady who ran the program put the word out. 

You can also see if any of the other wives have a teenager who'd be interested in babysitting.  

Also, you could look into putting your daughter into a preschool program for a few hours, I've done that with both of my kids. That worked great.  The program I found was for 3 days a week, for 3 hours.  Not a whole lot of time, but it was enough for me to get some time to myself, PLUS they learned so much. 

February 20, 2006, 4:04 pm CST

GOOD AFTERNOON TO YOU & WELCOME....

It's good to see you here and hope that you will stay around and get to know all of us that are in the same sort of shoes as you!! 

I know what you mean about trying to find some ME time. My 3 and a half year old daughter, Stephanie has just started going to Pre-school twice a week. She goes on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9am till 3pm, and she just loves it and so do I. As I can now have some much needed ME time, LOL!! 

So maybe you could see if you could get your daughter into Pre-school atleast once or twice a week and that way, you can have some time to yourself and please know that it is ok to want to have some time to yourself, we all need some ME time to start sane, LOL!! 

As to needing some help to get through the next 10 months of your hubby's deployment, does his Unit have any Support System in place for the Wives and Children of deployed husbands? If so, make yourself be known to them, so that they can be there for you if and when you need them. At this time you need lots of support so please make good use of this message board, even if it's just to stop by and say hi or if you're having a bad day and need to vent then do so. 

Even though we can't be there in your shoes, we do know what it can be like when your loved one is away for a long time. 

Well you TAKE CARE and please let us know how you are doing, LOVE KELLY. Big Hug 

February 21, 2006, 2:07 pm CST

i found it

wanted to come and see the new board----congrats blue for getting this going. I enjoyed reading everyones posts.My heart goes out to all the troops and their family's. I don't have any family in the service at this time. but I do care and keep all our troops and their families in my daily prayers. 

Kathy hope your feeling better soon. 

Vickie 

February 21, 2006, 8:31 pm CST

Greetings to ALL! This is great! Keep the home fires burning!

February 21, 2006, 8:38 pm CST

amrbmp24 WELCOME TO THE MILITARY FAMILIES SUPPORT BOARD!

We are glad you found this board and we are very happy to have you here. I see that you are brand new to the drphil.com “neighborhood” as well! So double welcome!!

You may be wondering how I know about you. If you click on any USERNAME you can see the profile for that person. There are a few tricks to learn about getting around these boards. Some of us have been around for awhile and will be glad to help you get aquatinted.

Thank you for telling us about you and your family. There are other moms with young children here already as you have seen. I’m sure y’all can be a wonderful support to each other.

Again, welcome! Best wishes to you and your family. I’m looking forward to getting to know you.

Kathy
a.k.a. Mike’s Mom
a.k.a. Blue

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last