Message Boards

Topic : *A Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Love Smart*

Number of Replies: 240
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, February 13, 2006, 11:47:44 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil sits down with one of America's biggest stars, a woman who's single and sick of it. Paula Abdul's extends a rare invitation inside her home ... and heart. Follow her as she chooses one lucky date from 10 bachelors hand-picked by Dr. Phil. Plus, Rob juggles so many women, he says his social life could be a full-time job. After years of playing the field, he wonders if it's time to settle down. Is an emotional block keeping Rob single, or is his playboy lifestyle simply too much fun? See what happens when Rob’s girlfriends learn the truth about him. Against the backdrop of an old-time drive-in theater, Dr. Phil conveys a timeless message. He shows singles and couples alike how to stop loving dumb and start loving smart.

Find out what happened on the show.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 14, 2006, 7:41 pm CST

Us Seasoned Gals

Quote From: lorddyb

I agree with others posted here 

I'd love to see a show including those of us in the older group still struggling to find the "right one" 

I am among them - and can tell you it is frustrating 

I challenge Dr Phil to help  find me a real mate !! 

I enjoyed the show tonight, but had the same thoughts running through my mind, what about us older women?  I've been divorced now for quit some time, and dating has never been more harder.  My favorite line is the one I get from men my age....that they want women 20 or 30 years of age with a size 0 dress size.   

Why is it harder for those of us who are mature to find a man?  Is it because we are "smart" and independent (which is a threat to many men)? 

How about a little help in our direction?  Or are you just like all the other men? 

Marsha 

February 14, 2006, 7:43 pm CST

*A Dr. Phil Prime Time Special: Love Smart*

Quote From: msmom_2

I am a 48 yr old divorced female.  Rob do you have an older brother that lives in Canada.  Seems I was too smart for him and busted him early into his thoughtless humiliating endeavours.  Men say one thing to get you where they want you, then you find out it was all a lie.  Dr.Phil how about a show for the 40's crowd and dating.  I know i deserve respect and I love myself, but boy oh boy the men out there in there 40's are in need of some self help therapy.  They either want 20 yr old barbies on there arms or 20 of them at once.  Very scary world.  What happened to honesty and trust?? Do they exist anymore??    Hopeful in Canada!!!!!!! 

Hey Dr. Phil...just watched your show tonight and it was a great show. That guy was a nut and I hope that all the women out there don't think we are all like that, especially "hopeful in Canada".  

I am soon to be 47 and here in Canada also.  I do not agree with her statement though that men in their 40's are in need of self help...there are some of us out here that are pretty nice...the women just have to stop being so picky.  Just look on the dating sites when they say what they are looking for: "tall, handsome, muscular, etc, etc."  

I am not tall, at 5'6", I have some med. probs that have not stopped me from traveling more than half way around the world on my own. But when women find out about these they are off and running. I admit I am not tall, dark and handsome but what the heck, what is the actual precentage of guys that are? Your show proved that that is not all it takes. 

I have seen many of the responses on here tonight and do agree with them...why not do a 'Love Smart' show for the over 40 or 50 crowd...heck why not do one in Canada, I bet you would get lots of responses.  I know you had lots of responses when you were here in Toronto. 

By the way, to "Hopeful in Canada"...it goes both ways you know...and if Dr. Phil wants to he can give you my email address if you are near Toronto... :-) 

February 14, 2006, 7:47 pm CST

Celeste I agree

Quote From: celeste06

Oh, Dr. Phil....Dr. Phil...I’m so disappointed! Your Special tonight just didn’t help people like me! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. See, I’m one of those "intelligent" women. (You know, the ones that playa’ from California doesn’t go for?) What a letdown - on Valentines Day of all days - and sitting here - by myself. All I got out of that, once again, was that you have to be attractive, not to mention young. Was there anything to learn for the average single woman like me who is from the general population? And what about the average, older, single woman?  

And Paula Abdul? Look, I accept that people like Paula have problems with dating too but most of us don’t lead the charmed life she does.. Most of us aren’t hosting American Idol and most of us don’t look like she does. Come on, how do her dating problems, as a celebrity with the specific trust issues that entails, help the "average Joe" or "Jo-anne" like me? Pleee-ze! The men with whom she was paired up were gorgeous and obviously above the norm. They wouldn’t give average looking women a second look. Who are you trying to kid here? 

I’m happy you were able to help Paula and talk that other lady out of a bad relationship with the playa’ from California but as a single person in my 40s, I didn’t get a thing out of that, not a thing. It only made me feel worse about myself and here you are telling us all the time to project a positive image! How can one find that "positivity" within oneself when this kind of show reinforces existing social values all over again? 

Nope, Dr, Phil, I’m happy for Paula but all I got out of this was that to be over 35 and average looking is a major obstacle. I’m still on my own. Thanks anyway. 

Nope, Dr, Phil, I’m happy for Paula but all I got out of this was that to be over 35 and average looking is a major obstacle. I’m still on my own. Thanks anyway.  

Celeste, I agree. Being over 35 and  not a perfect 10 is not easy. It does seem that most guys our age are looking for younger, very attractive females. I'ld love to see the show done with average women.  

February 14, 2006, 8:02 pm CST

Not an old fart, However......

Quote From: glorialee

Dr Phil,     

All of your guest, are young and beautiful. Did you forget about us, the older generation. There are lots of us out here and we need help finding love too. Although dating for us is similar, there are distinct differences. Come on! Give us a brake! Do at least one show, about the older generation and dating.     Love the show       Gloria 57yrs 

Gloria makes a VERY good point! I’m 50 and there are other issues for those of us over 50. I, too wish that Dr. Phil would dedicate at least ONE show to those of us NO LONGER 20-30 years old!  

We’re the Baby-Boomers!!! Just ONE show! What could it hurt?!? 

Brenda :-) 

February 14, 2006, 8:05 pm CST

Just thought I would add something to my message

When she told me she had his password, I asked for it. She gave it to me and I went into his account and wrote down every contact on his list. Got a email address with a fake name and sent everyone an email about him. I got replies back and some women even sent him emails.  

The real funny part of all of this is, his boss got one and confronted him about it.  

See, not as stupid as he thought I was. He messed with the wrong woman. I am a very loving person and will give my all to anyone. Just don't treat me bad or you get paybacks.  

Ladies, watch out for those dating websites. i was warned but didn't listen. I sure will now. 

February 14, 2006, 8:10 pm CST

Like Alice in Wonderland...

Quote From: lilmac72

I enjoyed the show tonight, but had the same thoughts running through my mind, what about us older women?  I've been divorced now for quit some time, and dating has never been more harder.  My favorite line is the one I get from men my age....that they want women 20 or 30 years of age with a size 0 dress size.   

Why is it harder for those of us who are mature to find a man?  Is it because we are "smart" and independent (which is a threat to many men)? 

How about a little help in our direction?  Or are you just like all the other men? 

Marsha 

I also enjoyed the show and it left me wondering where could I get the type of help Paula got? How can I sort out real from "player". As a divorcee in her early 50's I find myself beginning to venture out into the dating scene with apprehension.  When I left the dating world the first time to get married it was so different.  I had just recently decided (actually gotten enough nerve) that perhaps the dating.coms on the market  would be a good place to start....and then came Player Rob. As step 1, I'm going to buy your book and see if there are any answers for me. Hopefully I'll get a step 2 from it. Like Alice in Wonderland...which door do I go through?

February 14, 2006, 8:12 pm CST

What About Us?

Hey Dr. Phil, 

We're the ones who are the mothers of the young men and women to whom you give advice.  We've done it all, seen it all, and laughed about most of it.....usually with our single women friends, because the men our age are unavailable, for a variety of reasons.  We're the ones who've lived full lives, experienced much of what it has to offer, and are confident and happy with ourselves.  We're also the ones who find it difficult to meet single men who are our true contemporaries.....those who respect themselves and others, enjoy their "maturity" but have fun doing it, and those who really desire commitment, love, friendship, honesty and lasting companionship.  Alas, Dr. Phil, there are more than a few "serial daters" who frequent online dating sites, and many of them are 55 and older.  By the way, not all of them are men.  

How about giving some equal time to women (and men) 55 and older who are still searching for life partners, not game-players? 

February 14, 2006, 8:13 pm CST

SEE!!! Here's another one!!!

Quote From: lilmac72

Marsha 

Martha thinks it’s a good idea to have a show- JUST ONE- for the Baby-Boomers, also!!!!  

Lose the ULTRA thin, non- gravity challenged 20-30 year olds at home!!! They can sit and watch!! 

Brenda 

February 14, 2006, 8:14 pm CST

I know msmom 2

Quote From: guvnor

Hey Dr. Phil...just watched your show tonight and it was a great show. That guy was a nut and I hope that all the women out there don't think we are all like that, especially "hopeful in Canada".  

I am soon to be 47 and here in Canada also.  I do not agree with her statement though that men in their 40's are in need of self help...there are some of us out here that are pretty nice...the women just have to stop being so picky.  Just look on the dating sites when they say what they are looking for: "tall, handsome, muscular, etc, etc."  

I am not tall, at 5'6", I have some med. probs that have not stopped me from traveling more than half way around the world on my own. But when women find out about these they are off and running. I admit I am not tall, dark and handsome but what the heck, what is the actual precentage of guys that are? Your show proved that that is not all it takes. 

I have seen many of the responses on here tonight and do agree with them...why not do a 'Love Smart' show for the over 40 or 50 crowd...heck why not do one in Canada, I bet you would get lots of responses.  I know you had lots of responses when you were here in Toronto. 

By the way, to "Hopeful in Canada"...it goes both ways you know...and if Dr. Phil wants to he can give you my email address if you are near Toronto... :-) 

She is a very nice person. She got burnt by the same guy I did. She was the other woman.  

She's looking for someone to treat her right, just like I was. Yes, was. I'm not looking anymore. Going to concentrate on getting the ex back. He's the love of my life and he's the only one I want. 

I know all men are not like the guy on Dr. Phil's show but they sure are few and far between. 

February 14, 2006, 8:26 pm CST

A Player @ 53 years old ....now that's a concern

I too dated  a man for a few months while he continued to sneak around juggling many other woman at the same time. I dumped him. One year later he called again and I got sucked in AGAIN. Dated him again only this time for 2.5 years while he continued the same pattern. Recycling previous dates and  travelling to meet internet woman. Oh yeah he is on the net ladies ...Beware. His profile is amazing!! All this energy!! No wonder he was "so busy." We had many discussions about his "juggling" behaviour and it continued. I gave him the option of simply being honest in the realationship; to advise me anytime if he would like to date others while dating me so that I could at least make an INFORMED decision about continuing our relationship. Honesty was just not possible for this old fart. He got caught red handed several times and played the  ongoing "oh so sorrowful " manipulation game. The question is not what is "wrong" with him, but rather what is "wrong " with me. I view myself as an intelligent, attractive, ambitious, fun, thoughtful and well deserving of a man who treats me with respect. Wish me luck in Canada. Dr. Phil.......HELP  Any show , any time...I'm Yours.   

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last