Message Boards

Topic : 07/20 Love, Lies and the Law

Number of Replies: 906
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:40:45 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 03/06/06) You’ve heard it all before: “If I want it done right, I’ll have to do it myself.” Dr. Phil looks at control freaks, and how their behavior can destroy a marriage. Jim thinks his wife, Sinden, is the most controlling woman in America. They’ve recently separated because, he says, she picked out his clothes, told him what he could watch on TV and micromanaged his finances down to how much he could spend on a candy bar. But Sinden says there’s a darker side of Jim, a police officer of 20 years. She calls him a master manipulator who rules by intimidation. Find out why she says she fears for her life. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2006, 7:35 am CST

The parents act like kids and the real kids pay.

These two are acting like the typical embittered divorcing couple.  Jim and Sinden both have serious problems, but they are both dodging their own issues while pointing at each other and screaming, "Look what HE does!"  "Look what SHE does!"  She probably does get violent with her kids out of pure frustration.  He probably is a control freak who is abusive and obsessive.  As long as they're too busy hurtling accusations to stop and look in the mirror, their poor kids are going to pay the ultimate price.  Their children will eventually act out, using drugs, seeking out older male companionship, violence; and the parents will be too stupid to own their own responsibility in their kids' screwed up lives.  They seriously need to speak to a counselor without starting any sentences with, "Well he..." or "Well she..."  I hate to see grown people act like tantrum-throwing toddlers like this.  Grow up, the both of you!  Your kids need you NOW, not when you're finished acting out your own little War of the Roses.  Think about those sweet babies, not yourselves.

March 6, 2006, 7:38 am CST

Love, Lies and the LAW

I've been through this with my last husband. The lies, they are so good at it. He has the power to do what hes doing. And I see it in his eyes. He is evil. And he has the power to do this. My ex-husband did this. Got the kids to lie for him. They believed I was bad. They are older now and see what their father did. I always wanted to have the kids tell the courts what they did was wrong, but what is, is done and gone. By him being a sheriff helps him with his evil deed.

March 6, 2006, 7:42 am CST

Quote From: mkkinlee

I can NOT believe, it is so obvious that she is sitting up there making up lies and not admitting to her part in the whole mess.   One minute she fears her life and then she goes out shopping with him and tells him she wants a new diamond if they stay together. ???  What is that all about????  She's pissed off because the kids got taken away because SHE beat her son and she got CAUGHT.   

At least the husband sat up there and admitted to what his part was in it. 

Omg, been there done that.. You try to do as they want cause you fear for your life. You fall into their lies. they are so controlling, its scary. and I feel she spanked her son, and the father used his power to do what he did. look at what job he has, SHERIFF, hes on the inside track and has control of several people. been there done that. I feared for my life. He's power hungry, and the kids will pay the price. thats a given. :(

March 6, 2006, 7:47 am CST

I don't find him believable

Law enforcement DOES cover for their own and although this woman made mistakes I think she could use some support and help in dealing with this man. I don't think Dr. Phil was his usual wise self today. Unless there's a lot we didn't hear I am disappointed in his response to this couple. She needs to say a firm NO to this relationship and end it with the help of professionals....and she needs protection from a man that I think is capable of harming her to get his way.

March 6, 2006, 7:49 am CST

That is a curiosity

Quote From: mkkinlee

I can NOT believe, it is so obvious that she is sitting up there making up lies and not admitting to her part in the whole mess.   One minute she fears her life and then she goes out shopping with him and tells him she wants a new diamond if they stay together. ???  What is that all about????  She's pissed off because the kids got taken away because SHE beat her son and she got CAUGHT.   

At least the husband sat up there and admitted to what his part was in it. 

This marriage is so terrible; He's so dangerous and such a manipulator yet, she thinks he will change by giving her a new rock and re-taking their vows!? Hum.

March 6, 2006, 7:51 am CST

What about the kids?

Those kids are being used as tools and nothing more. I'm sure there is so much they're both lying about but there has to be something true and if even a fraction of it is true, it's too much. Those kids are going to be with the parent who WINS and then will be used some more to get over on the one who doesn't. It's so typical. Of course the kids couldn't be used if they weren't loved I suppose. But loving your kids isn't necessarily enough. That's obvious. And you can make a parent be a parent in the eyes of society but you can't make them WANT to. I know those kids are going to look back on this and realize how they were used and abused and either hate their parents or more likely, turn out the same way. It's sad. In my opinion, those kids should be with NEITHER of those people.  

March 6, 2006, 7:51 am CST

that guy is a jerk...

After watching the show today I can't believe what a jerk that police officer was. He is clearly abusing his power and deserves to be the one on trial.  They are separated and he needs to leave her alone!!  Who would want to be with a man like that?  I am certain that even though Dr phil said they need to be apart that he will continue to stalk her and check up on her.  Its clear that he did the things that she said, like called in her DUI.  Well perhaps its time for the cops that are protecting you  be exposed too.  If he cared about his kids and not himself he wouldn't be exaggerating the things he did to have the kids removed from her home.  That is going to backfire tenfold.....Don't worry, we can see right through this and you are going to end up with nothing...including your kids for your behavior.  

March 6, 2006, 7:56 am CST

I did the same as you...

Quote From: ahackney2

I agree that the kids are suffering in this situation but this guy is a liar! Cops do protect each other. I can speak from experience from the death of my father and the local cops helped covered it up. They protect their own and always have. This guy's relaxed reaction to everything speaks volumes to the fact that he his covering up what he doing.  

I do agree that the wife has played a part too, that I will not deny. 

I have never written in to any talk show before but that just infuriated me so much that I had to take the time to finally do it.  

I agree with what you said. I was so frustrated watching this that I logged on before the show was over.  I am disappointed that Dr Phil didn't rip this guy apart and wish he would have done more to help this woman as she was reaching out to him. I can't wait for the follow up and pray that someone will step in and save this poor lady and her victim children.

March 6, 2006, 7:58 am CST

YIKES!

Quote From: ahackney2

I agree that the kids are suffering in this situation but this guy is a liar! Cops do protect each other. I can speak from experience from the death of my father and the local cops helped covered it up. They protect their own and always have. This guy's relaxed reaction to everything speaks volumes to the fact that he his covering up what he doing.  

I do agree that the wife has played a part too, that I will not deny. 

I have never written in to any talk show before but that just infuriated me so much that I had to take the time to finally do it.  

I too, have never written to a talk show before, but I am so frustrated I had to voice my opinion.I am very disappointed in Dr. Phil for failing to acknowledge there there is indeed a good 'ole boys network among the police force. (It is in the Military as well) He does not believe in spanking and she does. He can get past that to truly hear her side of the story. My heart is breaking for her, because she is reaching out for help again and hitting another roadblock.She will end up in the hospital (or worse) and I hope she sends Dr. Phil a copy of the medical report--or invite him to witness her husband and his boys in court. Her best investment will be a machine to record every phone conversation with that manipulative abuser.

March 6, 2006, 8:03 am CST

Love, Lies and the Law

First and most important the kids are the ones being hurt!    

Now that is said Dr. Phil I usually agree with you, but he is a controlling jerk.  As for law enforcement helping that is a laugh.  I had a friend that her children were abused by their father and the judge gave him visitation, and the police laughed at the restraining order in our county, so I understand what she is dealing with. He raped other children and he pleaded down to solicitaion of a minor and got probation without her knowledge, he is now in civil court.  "We have come a long way baby",  NOT.  Don't get me wrong the dad is not always the scum and both parents here have done things wrong, but I think he thought he was going to be the golden child and she was going to be the wicked witch.  She may not be perfect and probably needs help herself.  I would like for you Dr. Phil to talk to the children.  As far as her flying out here with him, he sure wasn't going to do anything to her before your show that would make him look good in a state he is not from and doesn't have contacts.  I believe the saying goes "Keep your friends close, but keep your friends even closer."  I would have done the exact same thing. I 

f you want to help her have him investigated for her, and if you don't find anything, or what she says she can prove can't be, then I guess you are right. 

From Ohio 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last