Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 7, 2006, 8:44 am CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

Quote From: lincoln12

Hiya, i'm new here.  Perhaps someone can help me remember what dr. phil said were the three reasons a person exhibits the "symptom" of anger.   He mentioned it when talking with a husband who had anger fits and said he didn't know why.  I think one was fear, another was something about things not meeting his expectations, I think, and the third, i totally can't remember.  Need help.  thanks, lincoln

anger 

fear 

frustration 

March 7, 2006, 8:46 am CST

Bipolar 1...New Here...

I'm new here and I caught a commercial of Dr. Phil that he's doing a show on bipolar this afternoon. I live in Central time. It won't be on until 3 this afternoon. Anyhow, I've been bipolar 1 for more than 22 years. I've been through the gammot of all bipolar has. I've been psychotic, tried killing myself several times, was taken away from my little baby 1 week after he was born and put into a state run mental hospital (HELL on earth)!! and thought for sure everyone was trying to kill me. In the psych unit/hospitals 3 different times..the first time was in for 2 months, missing the first 2 months of my senior year in high school (that hurt). Ups and downs. Downs so low that it felt like I was in a deep hole. Everytime I tried to claw my way out I slid back down into the hole while dirt fell on top of my head. Yes, it is a horrible disorder but it can be managed and life can be good. If a person can find a good support group they are very beneficial. I'm living proof (literally) because of the fact that I'm still alive after all I've experienced. I've have a dual diagnoses of alcohol/substance abuse and Bipolar 1 Disorder. I too take Lithium, Lamictal, Effexor and Wellbutrin. Right now this is what works for me. I see my psychotherapist on a very regular basis as talk therapy and meds go hand in hand with bipolar disorder. It takes hard work to make it through with bipolar disorder but it can be done. I go through periods where I have hypomania. Most of the time I can actually get something accomplished during that time. BUT, what goes up...must come down and yes there is that crash that is soooooo unpleasant and hard not only for us but for our family. I've learned what my limits are (can only work part-time) I don't wait for the next episode to happen. I just go on and move forward the best I can. Maybe a med change is in order so I do it.  If I'm not aware of an episode coming then my husband will be sure to point it out to me and say "don't you think you should call your dr.?" My husband has been with me for 22+ years. Just make it through one day...even one minute if you have to. Take your meds, see a counselor and make yourself aware of your disorder. Research it and study it. My 17 year old son (only child) has also been diagnosed with bipolar. I can help him from all I've learned and all the trial and errors I've gone through. Life does go on and I thank God every day for where I am and where I've come from. Yes, it's been a long road...but if I can help one person then it's all be worth it. In fact I do have Bipolar 1 Disorder...BUT it doesn't have me!!! I won't let it!!

March 7, 2006, 8:47 am CST

Where are the "victims"?

On the show there where 2 people that have bi- polar, but aside from the teenagers there, they didn't show anyone who lives with someone else who has it and what it can do in the aftermath. My mother has bi-polar and what those kids are living through is a perfect example of what life is like. I wish he would have spent more time on what it does to the people around you. I don't even talk to my mother unless I have to and She never see's my kids or even remembers how old they are because of this. My older brother tells people he doesn't even have a mother, and my younger brother "takes care of " her because no one, not even her husband (My "father"), will. Dr. Phil should have had at least one person on the show that could say what it's like growing up with this. People might be more willing to get help if they knew how much it effected kids not just in the now, but in the long run as well. Living with someone who has this has long term effects and I'm disapointed that Dr. Phil didn't take the time to show someone that has delt with this from birth, even if just to show the mom what could happen if she doesn't get help and fix her relationship with her sons.

March 7, 2006, 8:56 am CST

confused

I have been diagnosed with bi-polar, personality disorder, and ptsd.They just put me on lithium, and i'm very confused about my feeling's. I hate feeling like this my feelings are uncontrollable. I have been in the hospital twice in a 6 week period, I am very unstable.I go from hyper to violent to extremely depressed with in minutes. I hope while watching the show I get a better understanding of what I am. I hope the show doesnt make me feel worthless and like a freak.....

March 7, 2006, 8:57 am CST

Meeting

Quote From: onelessbp

I'm a 28 year old female who's Bipolar and do you have some support groups in the Dayton, Ohio area i'm not on any meds i have been on more than a dozen and they made me worse i have no support in my family or friends i feel like my life is really going down hill even more please help 

There are seveal groups but the only one I can give you any info on is held at The Castle...phone 937-433-3931. If you contact them they can give you directions. It is near the intersection of Rt. 48 and Rt 725 in Miamisburg. The meeting is held Tuesday nights at 7:00.

March 7, 2006, 8:58 am CST

Just my opinion, but,.......

I don't think that Cathy is Bi-polar at all, but I do think she's emotionally immature and as a parent, she forgot what it was like to be  a child. She seems to want her children to be perfect, and when she doesn't get her way, she loses it emotionally. I have known many people who were and are Bi-polar, and they tend to be much more self-abusive than other abusive.  

I also thinbk she may have an impulse-control problem. Instead of reacting negatively , especially with her children, she could remember what it was like when she was a child. As for the utility knife thing, well, it seems she needs to discover who abused her for her to have such a severe reaction to someone who was just rubbimng her shoulders, or neck, as the case may be. 

March 7, 2006, 9:10 am CST

Difference between I and II

Quote From: liatsunami

okay, I must have had the two backwards.  Evidently your Dr. told you bipolar II is "non psychotic episodes" so then type I must be the ones with psychotic episodes which is often found in schizoprenics.  I was almost sure it was the other way around. Hrmm....I will have to consult with my buddy the psychologist to make sure I've got it right.
Yep - you do have them backwards.  Just do a google or yahoo search.  I has the psychotic episodes, etc.  II is the milder form.  That is what is so confusing about the woman who is scheduled to be on the show today, as well as some of the responses I am reading here.  In fact, I only see my doc. every few months for med. checks and lead a normal life.  Even off meds. I was never psychotic, deeply depressed, manic, violent, etc.  Type II is so difficult to diagnose because it IS so mild that it mimics regular anxiety and mild depression....

March 7, 2006, 9:28 am CST

Clarification

Quote From: liatsunami

I think one of the largest misconceptions that society has about this disease is that it has various levels and two major types, and one that goes hand in hand with the dignosis of schizoprenia.  The first type of bipolar is "bi polar without psychotic episodes" (Type1).  The second is "bi-polar with psychotic episodes"  (Type 2).  The third is "bipolar with psychotic episodes and symptoms of schizoprenia".  In the media we often see Type 2 and schizoprenia being portrayed, rather than Type1. 

Most of of the people diagnosed as Bi-Polar are not dangerous to others, they are more dangerous to themselves.   While some have reoccuring thoughts of killing people or hurting people, most do not act on them.  In fact most people experiencing these thoughts tend to be very upset by them.  Usually the highly dangerous people with mental illlness are the ones with anti-social personality disorder or attatchment disorders. or severe dementia.

The paranoid behavior of some bipolar patients is most likely an idicator of paranoid schizoprenia, and should be looked into accordingly.

Most people with Type 1 can live relatively normal lives, some even without medication.  Type 2 is more difficult to control, but with the proper treatment and medication and supervision of the condition, those afflicted with it can lead productive lives.  It is most difficult for schizophrenics with bi-polar disorder to function because the medications only even out the mood, and decrease psychotic episodes(which occur during the  ACTIVE PHASE), they do not deal with syptoms of the PASSIVE PHASE.

For their own safety some people should be institutionalized, but the need for this is very rare. 

I think it warrants clarification that the Types you are describing are subcategories within Type I - manic-depression.  Within Type I, there are subcategories that include psychosis, scizophrenia, etc. 

Type II is actually a milder form of Type I and does not include psychosis or scizophrenia, etc. 

Type III is a mixed state and I believe there is a Type IV..... 

March 7, 2006, 9:33 am CST

My husband uses MY bipolar as an excuse

Quote From: domerdude

Bipolar disorder is a serious illness and it manifests itself in all manner of serious ways, but let me ask all of you this. Do you think that sometimes people use the illness as an excuse for their shortcomings? Like a catch-all for all of the things they don't want to be held accountable for. Why did you do that? Umm, I dunno, must be the bipolar disorder. You really hurt my feelings. Yeah, well, I'm bipolar. I mean, it's a total slippery slope. 

I don't know what tomorrow's show will hold, but keep that in mind. A trailer where Dr. Phil asks, "Are you afraid you're going to kill your kids," sends shivers down my spine as it should to every bipolar person in America watching that show. I was so excited about the show, I told my friends to watch it. Oops! Now I have to explain to them, "No, I've never wanted to kill you or anyone else." It's just frustrating to me that we have this time in the spotlight and this is what we are showing America. 

I have a very severe form of this illness. I have been acutely psychotic in both mania and suicidal depression. I have never wanted to kill anyone else, on meds or off. I encourage those of you that have had the same experience with this illness to write a note so the people who make this show know how many non-violent bipolar people there are out there. 

I RARELY have blamed my bipolar II for ANYTHING.  I have actually told my husband, hey sometimes I'm just a bitch... lol 

He, on the other hand, has been known to blame my "illness", though completely under control with meds, and never severe, for HIS shortcomings - as in, I wouldn't be so upset that he lies to me or is mean to me if it weren't for my "fragile" state.... argh!  But that is another show...... :) 

March 7, 2006, 9:33 am CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

After watching the show I was disappointed that so much emphasis was placed on two such severe cases of Bipolar Disorder. There should have at least been some disussion of some of the other symptoms of the disorder. Very little was said about the dehabilitating depression that can accompany this disorder...or less severe manic episodes...which can still cause great problems. I have no delusions or the extreme anger. I have no thoughts of killing another person nor do I hear voices...but my life too is out of control. I am more apt to take my own life. I am on meds...but still unable to work. The right combination has not been found. Yet watching the show made me feel I had a completely different disorder...but I have been diagnosed by several psychiatrists and therapistas as being bipolar. My disorder is amplified by having Anxiety Disorder. Not a fun combination. I was very interested in the part about brain trauma. I suffered a very severe head injury when I was 19 but had never connected it with any of my current problems. I don't however have the financial ability to go to Brain Matters for a full diagnosis. It would be interesting to see what the scans showed. Is there anywhere in the Dayton Ohio area that does similar work?

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last