Message Boards

Topic : 08/01 Extreme Highs and Lows

Number of Replies: 1257
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:43:32 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

(Original Air Date: 03/07/06) Dr. Phil explores the ups and downs of bipolar disorder. This illness takes its victims on an emotional rollercoaster ride -- from elation to extreme irritability, intense rage, or devastating depression. First, Cathy was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 10 years ago and claims she goes from zero to psycho in 15 seconds. Dr. Phil takes a look at the toll her disorder takes on her two boys, and brings the family together for a dramatic moment of emotional healing. Then, during various manic episodes, Fred has stolen a taxi, crashed into a Starbucks, and climbed to the top of a church. He hears voices and believes that movie stars like Denzel Washington and Robert De Niro are talking to him through their movies. Still, Fred thinks he’s ready to move out of his parents’ house and live on his own for good … but should his family let him? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 6, 2006, 3:06 pm CST

taking care

Quote From: wings2fly

My understnding is that there are several genes associated with Bipolar Disorder.  The more of these genes that you have, the more chance you have of becoming Bipolar.  Additionally, genes 

are just part of the equation.  Having any number of these genes can make a person more 

suseptable to the disease, but life events, especially trauma and stress can be the catalist 

turns a few burning embers into a full blown blazing fire. 

If you are related to a Bipolar person it is imperative that take care of yourself physically and 

emotionally.  This means eating right, sleeping enough, stress reduction techniques, leading 

a low key, low demand lifestyle. 

My 30 year old daughter is bi-polar.  I guess I do not understand her behavior.  I have seen her really get angry and mad and I have also seen her act okay.  I think she can control herself if she wanted to badly enough.  Recently, to take care of myself, I have told her that she was not going  to be allowed to scream and yell at me anymore.  She would treat me with respect or not at all.   I am prepared to have no more contact with her at all if she does not  treat me right.................bipolar or not! 

maxxy 96. 

March 6, 2006, 3:14 pm CST

I have sympath/empathy for you both

Quote From: sdunford99

I am a little shocked by your quote.  If you do not have this disease please do not pass judgment on to others.  This is a genetic disease.  Please do some research.  I have to battle with my disease everyday and it is not easy, but I do it.  Please don't judge unless you have walked in our shoes.  I strongly feel that people should not claim to be bipolar if they are not. 
 I too was a little shocked by amcgirk's message. However on reflection I can see that if you have had an unusually large amount of Bipolr people in your life, and it hasn't been your choice, then you could feel unsympathetic. I have come across some people who I would think of as manic depressives, and now through watching Dr Phil I realise this is Bipolar. They aren't having any medical treatment and can cope resonably well. I would have to admit, however that there are times when I don't want to deal with their temper tantrums or their unreasonable behaviour. I have a lot going on in my life with my own family and I keep my distance when it suits me. Luckily they aren't my blood relatives so I can be fairly dispassionate about them. They are lovely people usually and when there are real crisis in their lives (relatives dying for example), the behaviour and highs and lows stabilises and they deal with emergencies. However I won't argue with them and no matter how provoked I maybe I always try to not respond. If that doesn't work I give them the silent treatment. Through watching Dr Phil and getting hints of websites I am learning more about the condition, but I will never suggest anything to them, I couldn't be responsible for them.

March 6, 2006, 3:16 pm CST

sensational hope not

I was so excited that this topic would be coming on. I my biggest hope is that the disease will be explained well and it won't once agian be sensationalized. I understand that there are many different ways this illness affects people but please show how people with bipolar can lead some what "normal" lives. 

I accidently left a message on this topic on mondays show. It someone is interested. 

March 6, 2006, 4:25 pm CST

Living with Bipolar

My husband is bipolar ll and I thought that I would share a few ways that we have found helpful in dealing with this illness. He is currently taking Lamictal which he has found to be a wonderful lifesaver drug. I haven't hear about any one on the message boards taking this drug. Its doesn't make him feel like a zombie and controls his mood swings. He also makes time to work out once sometimes twice a day. We have found that working out is a very important part of making him feel better. Working out also gets rid of that extra energy bipolar people seem to have when they feel good. The third thing is a  A calender  that we have posted in our bathroom were everyday he writes in the small box about how he feels. Just simple words like "great day" or whatever applies. We own a very successful construction company and we also limit the number of jobs he has going on at one time to keep his stress level at a minimum. He also sees his Dr. once a month to evaluate how he is feeling. At times when I feel so upset that he has to go through this horrible disease and so discouraged because we feel like we do all we can to fight this I am reminded that this is not a curable disease it is a relapseable disease and we only have so much control. Also finding the patterns to look for when someone goes "down". For my husband its is extra stress negative talk, wanting to sleep more, loss of energy, slowly becomes anti-social..... We are very sensitive to look for these signs and patterns. I can notice these patterns much sooner then he can and its our responsibility to do something as soon as we see these signs. DONT WAIT! 

I am no expert, and know that every person is different but with medication, determination, communication, therapy, and God we have seen his "downs" to a almost 1 or 2 a year.  We have had a very hard road but you just have to keep searching for the certain things that work. No one knows what it feels like to go though unless you've been there. Don't think people with bipolar are weird or don't try to feel better. One of the things I have really had to get over is even in the Dr office or hospital I feel like people look at us weird and are thinking "wow that couple has some issues." No we don't ! My husband has a chemical imbalance! We live a very normal life other then once or twice a year! I have often thought about wanting to speak to people who live with someone with bipolar. Just to make people know that they aren't alone! Ive been looked at weird, talked about, and made to feel like we have to keep his disease a secret. But for my husband I have to keep a positive attitude, keep encouraging him, and love him. I hope this all has made sense because I am not the best writer in the world! I would love to talk to anyone. Best luck to all and you will be in my prayers, 

Kristen 

March 6, 2006, 4:37 pm CST

LIving through it now.....

Quote From: mom2boysjb

My husband was recently diagnosed with bipolar, He claims that it was being in a manic state that led him to the lies and the affair. Any thoughts from anyone? How could he have turned off the mania so well and lied so well for almost 4 months? 

I am a mother of five children and in Aug. of 2004 my "husband" had a mental breakdown and was diagnosed bipolar with dillutional disorder. He had a life that I knew nothing about, he had a long lasting affair with two children with the lady, loans and credit cards like crazy and even signed my name to things I knew nithing about. I am still amazed that he was able to turn it on and off like a light switch! I didn't see any signs or warning signals! 

Our life has been ruined! I  stood by him for 17 months of him being in and out of the hospital. He refuses to stay on his medicine and as a result has "two voices" that are two freinds from his past that gave him signs to follow, if he fails then he says they will kill him. When I saw what it was doing to my kids, my 3 year old daughter was crying uncontrolable because she thought someone was going to kill her Dad, along with the fact that his family was becoming emotionally abusive to myself and my kids ( go figure, all of this was my fault and boy did they call me all sorts of names and tried to take my kids from me and cuased me so much extra stress that friends were afraid that I was about to have a breakdown myself! ), adding the fact that he had us so far in trouble that we became homeless, I left town with my children and we are now staying with family! 

Now, I am every bad name in the book and my kids and I are struggeking to get by, I haven't seen a sign of support or help yet his father bought him a home, pays all his bills and gives him money for everything he wants yet my kids are eating penutbutter, wearing old torn clothes and shoes and have lost everything they new in life!   

I am trying to find a job but at 39 and no skills ( I was a stay at home mom ) I can not finding anything and the few jobs that I  were available  don't even pay enough to cover child care........ 

We have searched for help and one thing we have learned for sure is that the mental health profession is seriously lacking! Getting him help is next to impossible! When he is in the hospital it is only for a few days and they don't really help and they dismiss me like I am stupid! We lost our insurance and the shots he was on was 600.00 every two weeks! at this current moment he has been off his medicine for 8 weeks and is spiraling out of control very fast!!! I am afraid of him and his family! He wants to see the kids but is not very stable! The school is even been told because his family has said they will help him kidnap the kids and go into hiding so I will never see them again! 

I live in constant  fear and a state of depression! I use to worry about putting my kids through college and now I worry about just having food to eat and finding someplace to live!!! 

I am out of options and hope! I pray that this show will give me some ideas as to where to go for help. 

You say he turned it off for four months, mine was able to do so for 15 years!  It is hard enough to dealwith but add being unfaithful on top off it and it can tear out your heart! I don't know if your husband is like mine, but please check your credit reports, your checking and savings accounts, and anything else that pertians to money! He even borried against our life insurance policies! 

I plead with everyone in this position to take steps to protect yourself! My family is ruined,our life is ruined! I don't know if I will ever be to correct all the damage he has done! 

If there are support groups or organizations that people can turn to for help, please speak up.... there are so many of us looking for help! 

I wish you the best of luck! I hope you find the answers we all need! 

March 6, 2006, 4:43 pm CST

Bipolar II with no serious problems....

I was diagnosed bipolar II last year.  After several medication trials, we finally hit on the right combo. of Trileptal, Wellbutrin, Topamax, and Lexapro.  My doctors made clear that the "type" I have does not require hospitalization, does not cause hallucinations, etc.  At my worst (undiagnosed), I was having rages - but these were ONLY directed at my husband (poor guy), and only escalated to physicality once and at that, it was unintentional.  Yes, I threw things when I really got angry, yelled a lot (I am normally not a yeller), etc.  I knew something wasn't right and immediately sought help.  I had been diagnosed with anxiety and depression before but the bipolar II diagnosis threw me for a loop.  Again, the doctor was very clear that bipolar II was very mild compared to bipolar I (manic-depression).  And that has been the case.  I have required no hospitalization, have NEVER been abusive in ANY way to my young child, have no trouble keeping jobs, have no manic episodes, deep depressions - though I have had a few deeper depressive episodes, triggered by changes in meds. and/or marital problems.  But never suicidal ideation, inability to get out bed, etc. 

I am sure hoping that Dr. Phil presents accurate information tomorrow, as he always seems to.  I am surprised by the postings so far, though.  It seems that the people who are posting with bipolar II are more severe.  So does the woman who will be highlighted tomorrow, although the commercial did say she was off meds.  But again, even off meds., I was never like her.  Makes me doubt my diagnosis - her diagnosis - some of the other posters here....?  I will be very interested to watch tomorrow's show.... 

March 6, 2006, 5:19 pm CST

Lamictal

Quote From: kbrown24

My husband is bipolar ll and I thought that I would share a few ways that we have found helpful in dealing with this illness. He is currently taking Lamictal which he has found to be a wonderful lifesaver drug. I haven't hear about any one on the message boards taking this drug. Its doesn't make him feel like a zombie and controls his mood swings. He also makes time to work out once sometimes twice a day. We have found that working out is a very important part of making him feel better. Working out also gets rid of that extra energy bipolar people seem to have when they feel good. The third thing is a  A calender  that we have posted in our bathroom were everyday he writes in the small box about how he feels. Just simple words like "great day" or whatever applies. We own a very successful construction company and we also limit the number of jobs he has going on at one time to keep his stress level at a minimum. He also sees his Dr. once a month to evaluate how he is feeling. At times when I feel so upset that he has to go through this horrible disease and so discouraged because we feel like we do all we can to fight this I am reminded that this is not a curable disease it is a relapseable disease and we only have so much control. Also finding the patterns to look for when someone goes "down". For my husband its is extra stress negative talk, wanting to sleep more, loss of energy, slowly becomes anti-social..... We are very sensitive to look for these signs and patterns. I can notice these patterns much sooner then he can and its our responsibility to do something as soon as we see these signs. DONT WAIT! 

I am no expert, and know that every person is different but with medication, determination, communication, therapy, and God we have seen his "downs" to a almost 1 or 2 a year.  We have had a very hard road but you just have to keep searching for the certain things that work. No one knows what it feels like to go though unless you've been there. Don't think people with bipolar are weird or don't try to feel better. One of the things I have really had to get over is even in the Dr office or hospital I feel like people look at us weird and are thinking "wow that couple has some issues." No we don't ! My husband has a chemical imbalance! We live a very normal life other then once or twice a year! I have often thought about wanting to speak to people who live with someone with bipolar. Just to make people know that they aren't alone! Ive been looked at weird, talked about, and made to feel like we have to keep his disease a secret. But for my husband I have to keep a positive attitude, keep encouraging him, and love him. I hope this all has made sense because I am not the best writer in the world! I would love to talk to anyone. Best luck to all and you will be in my prayers, 

Kristen 

I too was taking  Lamictal and it helped so much! I am glad to see someone else who takes this medicine is doing well with it! I quit taking it cause my Doctors office would not see me no more cause I missed to many appointments. I do miss feeling good. I have 3 small children & sometimes I feel like I am letting them down. Just make sure your hubby contuines to take the meds. It really truely is a way to make life easier!

March 6, 2006, 5:26 pm CST

Wrong Answer

Quote From: maxxy96

My 30 year old daughter is bi-polar.  I guess I do not understand her behavior.  I have seen her really get angry and mad and I have also seen her act okay.  I think she can control herself if she wanted to badly enough.  Recently, to take care of myself, I have told her that she was not going  to be allowed to scream and yell at me anymore.  She would treat me with respect or not at all.   I am prepared to have no more contact with her at all if she does not  treat me right.................bipolar or not! 

maxxy 96. 

Bipolar people can not control there ups & downs without meds. I sure am glad you are not my mother! To be a ggod mother & friend to your Daughter you need to encourage her to get help! My mother has MPD & she still stands by me & helps me when needed...Mothers Should never turn thier back on thier kids. You statement concerns me alot!

March 6, 2006, 5:34 pm CST

03/07 Extreme Highs and Lows

Quote From: luz26e1

I am 30 years old and was told that I had bipolar and split personality five years ago. Took medication for a year but stop. I do have ups and downs, but I would never hurt my children.  I live for my kids people think I should go back on medication and sometimes I think I should but I can't see myself doing that, not yet I have to try and be strong..  I sometimes get angry but I breath, count sing and scream to relieve the anger.  But my doctors fear that I have lost it already cause I show no emotion to anything they say I'm numb.  What wrong with that I would rather feel that thing pain and hurt and depression all the time.
I too have Bipolar Disorder & am a SAHM to 3 small boys! I too stopped taking my meds but I do beleive that I should take them again. I would never hurt my kids either but I lost my kids to the system in 2004 b/c I was hospitalized for Depression! It took me 8 monthes to get them back . So please make sure to get the help you need when you need it & don't let it get bad before you act & something bad happens!

March 6, 2006, 5:43 pm CST

I Too Tried to Kill My Self...

Quote From: baseball

I have 4 bipolar children. 3 surviving. All my children are different. This is such a complex illness. It has been a rollercoaster for the whole family. My daughter committed suicide in 2004. She had stopped taking her meds. She was 23 and left 3 children behind. I have a 23 yr old who is in and out of jail for not reporting or not doing what is required of him. I fear he will end up dead or in prison. He will get medication there to help him. he can't afford it when he is out of jail. I have a 18 yr old who controls his and it is still scary. I see him depressed most of the time. He excels in sports, school, and is heading off to college next year. he is the perfectionist. Classic Bipolar symtoms. That is how my daughter was too. I also have a 15 yr old son who is now in a residential treatment center. Has been since Dec. They are still trying to get him stableized. I really hope this show helps us. I am always on guard. Cindy tried to kill herself 6 times before she succeeded. Jeremy has been in the hospital 27 times since he was 16. Ronny has only went  once that was right after his sister died. Kenny this is his second time in residential. The first time they never diagnosed him as bipolar. The anti-depressant drugs didn't work. he was gone for 2 1/2 yrs. This last time he dumped gas on himself and tried to set himself on fire. I hope this show helps me to be able to help my children. I love them so much and this illness is sometimes too much to handle.       One confused and grieving mom,   Linda
In July 2004 I tried to stangle myself with a eletirc cord! I was hospitalized and said to be Depressed and come to find out I am Bipolar! My Newest Doctor said that depression meds can make Bipolar people worse! So He only keep me on Lamictil... I no longer  take it & think of death every minute of every day! I am a Single mom to 3 small children & am 27 years old...My family supports me & if it wasn't for them I propably would not be here now! I am Glad to read this message of you helping you kids & gettting them help! Thats all you can do is be there for them...It does make a diffenence...God Bless you!...You children are in my prayers...

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last