Message Boards

Topic : 03/10 Follow-ups

Number of Replies: 137
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 03, 2006, 12:56:23 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1

It's that time again! Dr. Phil checks in with past guests to see who has changed, and who's back for more! Marlon and Shamika are newlyweds who say their marriage has been on the rocks since the day they said "I do." They return for round three with Dr. Phil! After their last appearance, Marlon says Shamika was in such a rage, he feared she was going to pull a knife on him. They filed for divorce, but Shamika regrets it. Dr. Phil puts them through his divorce readiness test. Is Marlon ready to call it quits, or is he still in love with his wife? Then, remember the mom who wouldn’t let her daughter play with unattractive children? Has she changed her thinking? And, Jackie called herself a "monster mom" because she yelled at her overweight daughter, and called her ugly names like, "fat bitch" and "rotten witch," among others. Big changes are happening with this mother and daughter. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 11, 2006, 5:32 pm CST

Book

Quote From: dosher

Dr. Phil introduced a trainer on the show that he said they use from time to time and he mentioned a book that this guy wrote. I thought I heard (I wasn't watching the TV...just listening) him say it was called Makeover Your Metabolism. I have gone online to Amazon and cannot pull it up and I do not recall the guys name. Does anyone remember what his name was and do I have the right name for the book? Thanks a lot. 

You can find the book on the right side of this page...

http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/692/

...or click the link above that says "Find out what happened on the show."

March 11, 2006, 5:37 pm CST

03/10 Follow-ups

Quote From: mrstim

I know I came off so horribly on Dr. Phil's show about letting my child play only with the pretty kids.  This show was a follow up to show that Dr. Phil helped me to see the error of my ways and that I am doing better.  The thing to please remember is that we do what we know, and in my experience my life was and is much improved when I am surrounded by my pretty friends.  I am sorry to say it simply is true.  One person said I am no prize--bingo.  I am treated like I am a ghost in most situations, but when I am with my pretty friends I am treated dramatically better and so unfortuanetly this is what I know.  In an effort to protect my daughter from the hurt I had to deal with in school that unfortunately effects my greatly to this day (self esteem issues) I just thought in my feeble mind that if I surrounded her by the "beautiful" people I could save her from the hurt that can come when you are an outcast because of your looks.  Believe me when I say I know this is wrong and I won't do it again, just know it comes from a mom who would do anything no matter how rediculous to protect my daughter from harm.  I do enjoy very much watching her with kids and seeing how a child can look at others with such a pure perception.  She has no preconcieved predjudice or social bias and she will be my greatest teacher in life if I just sit back and watch her.  I said that on the show but unfortuantely it was edited out.  So please don't judge my to harshly, I was doing what I know, and now that I know it, I can change it.  
I just wanted to say that I see your point and I understand that you only wanted the best for your child. I don't judge you. I wouldn't do that. I am very happy that things are turning around for you and you are beginning to see that you shouldn't judge people by their exterior. Some of the most beautiful people on the outside can also turn real ugly real quick. I have met many people in my life and seen some very physically beautiful people until they opened their mouths. I have also seen some people who by polite standards could stop a sundial with their looks until they opened their mouths, then they became very attractive. Personality goes a long way in this world. It is important that we teach our children to look beyond the physical and look to the heart. Looks will fade away but we will be remembered for how we have treated everyone we have come into contact with in our lives.

March 11, 2006, 5:52 pm CST

Wondering the same....

Quote From: mlpipkin

I'm curious when this test just doesn't apply?  I'm in the middle of a divorce, I fail it miserably, but does that really mean I should stay married?
I failed the test as well and I am willing to do the work but I am not so sure my husband would do the work to mend our broken relationship.  We both claim to still love each other and we admit to wanting it to work however there is a lot of distrust between us.I wish we had the opportunity as Marlon and Shamika. I think my husband I could benefit from 20 minutes with Dr. Phil.  Currently we are separated.  We have three kids who absolutely adore him. I am realizing some things I failed at doing or seeing during the marriage that had I put it as a priority and not danced around it, things could have been worked out. Additionally, there are some external factors that have also contributed to the deterioration of the marriage.  Do we keep trying or submit the divorce papers?

March 11, 2006, 6:17 pm CST

03/10 Follow-ups

All people are created in the image of God and we need to realize that a beautiful person comes from within.it has absolutely nothing to do with outward looks. How a child grows up and takes care of themselves is basically up to the parents to teach their child how to treat themselves and how to treat others. We the parents are the primary examples for our children and they do live as they learn..I am teaching my children to love and respect all people regardless of how they look, my children have friends from all walks of life and many children have entered myhome. They all do not come fromt he best of homes but the children themselves are precious and there will always be room in my home for all these children that we come in contact with....As a parent it is our responsibilty to teach and guide and protect ur children and though we are very cautious of where our children are and who they are with, we will never reject a child, that is plain wrong and people who do this need to be ashamed of themselves for putting children in such categories. I do hope and pray that these paretns ont he show will love and value their children as they are blessed gifts from God himself. They need to know that they are loved and valued and if the parents are not doing it then who will?

March 11, 2006, 7:49 pm CST

angala

Quote From: ll2584

A few years back, a young blond girl was a run away, your son tried to help her and she still haunts me as to where she is now.  Each time she was brought home, she then left again.  Any idea where she is now. thank you for your concern and help.

that was in first yr i to would like to hear some news of her. did her and her boyfriend jim get married? any kids ? did she get to vet school ? 

thanks 

March 11, 2006, 9:08 pm CST

free

Dear Shamika  I hope you read this little note. I know this is a big step for you.You have a lot of  heart and soul in you .I know you want to let it out .You can dear.It's the frist step is the hardest it the trust word and to allow to be love which start at our self I mean truly our self  with out make up fancy clothes as you look in the mirror  if you don't love what you see.This were you need to start in order to change to start loving your self frist then you can truly love other in way that brings peace, that things will work out in a healthy way .Believe in your self  that  you are worth loving your self  than you can love other the way you were meant to.      Heart to Heart     Wish you both the best!  

March 11, 2006, 10:40 pm CST

Ditto

Quote From: powers009

I just wanted to say that I see your point and I understand that you only wanted the best for your child. I don't judge you. I wouldn't do that. I am very happy that things are turning around for you and you are beginning to see that you shouldn't judge people by their exterior. Some of the most beautiful people on the outside can also turn real ugly real quick. I have met many people in my life and seen some very physically beautiful people until they opened their mouths. I have also seen some people who by polite standards could stop a sundial with their looks until they opened their mouths, then they became very attractive. Personality goes a long way in this world. It is important that we teach our children to look beyond the physical and look to the heart. Looks will fade away but we will be remembered for how we have treated everyone we have come into contact with in our lives.
I agree with with Power009!  Ditto that for me too. You mentioned runny-noses in your talk.   Of course, if a kid looks sick or has a nose that announces a bad viral or bacterial infection, no mom wishes to expose her family to that!  That is an important consideration when health issues are at stake.  Otherwise, kudos to you for recognizing what's going on and taking the steps to change!  When people experience trauma like yours, they wind up doing irrational things.  One thing I will always remember that was taught to me as a small child, "It does'nt matter how someone looks, it's the kind heart they have that counts!"  I have been blessed by touching the hand of some disfigured people in a wheelchair - their smiles are touching!   I too have met some truly wonderful people who are not "pretty" on the outside.  You will learn to appreciate the character of many types of people.  They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, ages, and looks.  This is what makes life interesting.  We can also appreciate our own good fortunes by relating to people from all walks of life.  There will be times when you or your daughter encounter someone who is truly a negative influence - if someone is toxic, mean-spirited, or hurts others, sure - they need to be avoided if possible.  May you continue on your new journey in life!  Love, Susan

March 11, 2006, 11:31 pm CST

Marlon and Sharmika

Sharmika from the very first show I noticed that you were jealous of Marlon.  He had friends and was living in a familiar surrounding.  You were feeling alone and lonely because we "Georgia Peaches" have a tendency to want certain life styles but we would prefer to have them given to us in our on home town where our love ones can admire and adore them.  I'm a Georgia Peach too.  Marlon might have came off as a Jerk at first, but before that first show ended, he had proved himself to be someone who had dreams and aspirations and was working toward getting them done. You are holding him back and you realize it.  This is your way to control him.  He took you and another child and started calling that child his and you are still finding fault with what he does.  Give in account your marriage didn't start out right, you didn't have the perfect honeymoon.  I think a lot of misconceptions or lies were told about what either one of you had or wanted and that was the key to igniting the fire, but someone forgot to put another log on the fire before the night was over and the fire went out and you stuck in the cold with nothing to do but stare at each other wonder who would build the next fire.  Which leads us to why you are now on Dr. Phil for the 3rd time.  Marlon should get a divorce and marry my daughter if he still wants a Georgia Peach.  Sharmika I'm glad you are getting help you never should have Marlon to treat you so you like a Southern Belle, because he doesn't know what that means.  I do, you want to be pampered, put first, doted on, have him cook you food before he leaves or when he gets home, feed and play with the kids and take time to rub your feet and back and get kids clothes ready for next day.  Now just by chance he's too tired to make love then he doesn’t' appreciate you.  Could he be just mentally tried from putting up with you?  Marlon is from Motown capitol where me are treated like kings and swept off their feet.  He deserves some doting too.  I love you Dr. Phil and I know you can fix this married, but I thin Marlon is such a nice guy with a since of humor, needs to get a divorce to get his business up off the ground because he is focused and knows what he wants.  Sharmika needs to come back GA because some of anger and loneliness is that she is missing her family and they don't have the money for her visit as much or have someone visit her.  Marlon tell Dr. Phil's staff to look up my profile to give you my information to have to contact me.  I would love you have you as a son-in-law.  You would make me laugh all the time.

March 11, 2006, 11:53 pm CST

Follow Up I'd like to see

I would like to see Dr. Phil do a follow up show with all of the weight loss challange participants.  I'm very curious to see how they are all doing.  I'm especially interested in the 3 women who did not participate in the finale of the show. 

March 12, 2006, 1:02 am CST

A follow up I would like to see...

I would love to know how Erin & Marty et al are doing.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last