Message Boards

Topic : 03/21 More Annoying People

Number of Replies: 76
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 17, 2006, 01:35:31 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Are you experiencing irritation overload with a friend or loved one? Does he or she cause scenes in public and make you the butt of bad jokes? If so, you’re not alone. Angie says her sister, Gwen, is the most annoying person on the planet! She rants, raves and flips the bird to total strangers. She even teaches Angie’s 2-year-old curse words. Gwen says her behavior is funny and thinks Angie needs to lighten up. Watch what happens when Dr. Phil plans an experiment and gives Gwen a taste of her own medicine! Then, remember the lovable loudmouth, Becky? Her daughter, Sara, said she swore like a drunken sailor, and could be heard from miles away. Becky said she was simply opinionated, honest and blunt. Has she been able to keep her big mouth shut since she was on the show? Plus, Taylor and Cassidy say their mom, Suzanne’s, obsession with watching Dr. Phil is driving them nuts! Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

RELATED RESOURCES
More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 21, 2006, 1:20 pm CST

03/21 More Annoying People

On today' s show Dr Phil told the last guest that he would provide information to her on the website about strategies for her to deal with anxiety.  These would be alternate strategies to her over-use of controlling and/or obsessive behaviors.  I was unable to find this information.  Could any one tell me how to find it?  Many thanks.

March 21, 2006, 1:41 pm CST

You're wrong!

Quote: "

I understand about having a show you like.  We are all allowed our indulgences in my house.  At least I can tape Dr Phil and whiz through the commericials to cut down on time. My husband's hockey habit is much worse because it has to be live...and his buddies need to be fed.  

What I do is tape the show and, if no one is around, I watch it while preparing dinner. If the kids want attention, I leave watching the show until later or I don't watch at all because it is a rerun (a lot of those lately).    

The only problem with what you are doing is that you are plunking your hour of indulgence right after work which is prime family time. Everyone wants to share their day and everyone is home and hungry. Just pick a better time for it and enjoy yourself! " 

Um sorry to disagree but you're at least partially wrong. That isn't "indulgence". It's NECESSITY! When I was working full-time, I had to have a policy of getting an hour to myself before I could really talk to anyone. My job was to work with developmentally disabled adults and while I loved what I did, it was like having "kids" all day. My boss was very exacting and it was like most people's jobs, very stressful. Not to mention the fact that my own kids would call me and ask me to referee over the phone some of the fights they may have gotten into with their siblings.  My mother would also call  way too many times if she happened to be babysitting for me. So, let's see, I had 80 DD Adults, my 5 kids calling me off and on through the day, my boss on my back and my cell phone ringing off the hook on the drive home because I was being asked yet again to referee. If I didn't have my 1 hr. alone, in my room, with my door closed, I would most likely have said something I shouldn't have. I certainly couldn't "vent" at work and it really wouldn't have been fair to my kids to vent at home. That woman's children are old enough to take care of themselves for a while and give their mom some time to herself. I'm not saying she shouldn't make time for them. Of course she should. However, did you notice when Dr. Phil asked them if they would have input if their mom talked to them, they hesitated and begrudgingly one said she would? That's because they're just looking for things to complain about. I have 2 teenagers myself. We talk a lot. I hear about things sometimes I wish I hadn't heard.....lol. However, they spend a lot of their time talking on the phone or on the computer IM'ing friends. I just really think those girls are being selfish by not recognizing their mom wants some time alone. It's not too much to ask for quiet. Give her a break! It's not like she's out at clubs every night leaving them alone. When you fly, the attendants tell you in case of emergency, put YOUR mask on before you put your children's on. The same principle applies here. She needs to take care of herself before she can take care of them. I'm assuming that mother was there when those kids had fevers, bad dreams, friends at school who weren't friends anymore, lost teeth, were hungry, thirsty, had accidents and needed to go to the hospital, etc. etc. She deserves an hour or two to herself.

March 21, 2006, 1:54 pm CST

lizzielou

Quote From: lizzielou

On today' s show Dr Phil told the last guest that he would provide information to her on the website about strategies for her to deal with anxiety.  These would be alternate strategies to her over-use of controlling and/or obsessive behaviors.  I was unable to find this information.  Could any one tell me how to find it?  Many thanks.
Here are some articles you might find helpful:

http://drphil.com/articles/article/93/ 

http://drphil.com/articles/article/320/ 

March 21, 2006, 1:59 pm CST

control freak

Oh my gosh!!! I saw myself in Michelle.....my poor family.  As I was listening to Michelle's story my eyes welled up with tears, thats me.  I looked at my husband, and said oh my gosh I am a control freak, and he just kind of give me a little smile.  Ok so I am not quite as bad as Michelle,  I don't tell the grocery bagger how to bag my groceries (my mom does though) and my clothes don't need to match my hangers, but all the sweatshirts go together, all the work shirts, ect.  I even have my babies toys seperated into 2 baskets....basket for the smaller toys and one for the bigger toys....is that such a big deal.  Everything in my fridge and cupboards is in a certain order....who knew this was a problem!!!!!  After talking about this with my husband with me saying that it is good to have certain things in certain spots in the fridge and the cupboards that way when he or my boy,whos 12, asks where something is I know........as long as its been put back where its supposed to be.  My husband and I have only been married about 2 years and we have had quite a few problems..but like Dr.Phil said how fun are you to live with!!!!  YIKES!!!!  Its just shocking to me I honestly did not see this as a problem.  My husband was joking saying that when he picks up the baby's toys he is going to purposely put them in the wrong basket and my stomach was instantly in knots.  Dr.Phil said he would have some tips on how to deal with this control thing on his website but I haven't found anything yet.  If anyone knows where they are could you please let me know...and if anyone has any advice for me I would be glad to hear from you.  Thanks.

March 21, 2006, 2:16 pm CST

my Dr. Phil obsession

My obsession isn't annoying to anyone yet. However I do try and fix my daily routine around the Dr.Phil Show. I'm currently in college and purposely try to arrange my classes so I have plenty of time to get home on the bus and watch the show. I have a suggestion to the guest who's so into Dr. Phil. Why doesn't she try inviting her daughters and husband to sit down and watch the show with her. That's all for now. 

Turkeybaby 

March 21, 2006, 2:25 pm CST

Quote From: turkeybaby

My obsession isn't annoying to anyone yet. However I do try and fix my daily routine around the Dr.Phil Show. I'm currently in college and purposely try to arrange my classes so I have plenty of time to get home on the bus and watch the show. I have a suggestion to the guest who's so into Dr. Phil. Why doesn't she try inviting her daughters and husband to sit down and watch the show with her. That's all for now. 

Turkeybaby 

Maybe the Mother could just pick a better time - say AFTER dinner.  But the truth is - she would probably enjoy it more watching it by herself.  I live alone, am at home for awhile due to illness, and watch the program almost every day at 3 p.m.  There is a program I like to watch at 10 a.m. as well. 

I can laugh out loud and make any comments out loud that I want to, and it is a great stress reliever.  Dr. Phil always comes back with the right answers or suggestions and he has a wonderful sense of humor.   The program is not only entertaining but is educational as well.  

March 21, 2006, 2:27 pm CST

anxiety

Quote From: DrPhilBoard1

Here are some articles you might find helpful:

http://drphil.com/articles/article/93/ 

http://drphil.com/articles/article/320/ 

Dr. Phil referred to a CD that was available related to addressing certain anxiaties that the last guest struggles with. Does anyone know which Cd he is referring to? 

Thanks! 

March 21, 2006, 2:30 pm CST

Quote From: turkeybaby

Turkeybaby 

Good  suggestion! What I forgot to say in my last post is that the problem in our family is a little reversed. I have a season pass to Dr. Phil, as well as to other shows. I have a habit of deleting shows when I'm done with them and they aren't something my husband wants to see. Lately however, my 15 yr. old has been upset with me when she gets home from school and finds that Dr. Phil and Oprah have been deleted....lol. I'm not quite sure why she got so into Dr. Phil especially and she doesn't watch every single show but probably 3-4 days a week at least. I find myself laughing because she gets upset when she doesn't get to watch it, since she used to mutter things like "I can't believe you can stand to watch this stuff!". I don't purposely delete it, it's just a habit. One I'm trying to break to avoid the sighing and complaining...lol. The point is, maybe the mom can look on the guide for future shows she knows her kids would be interested in so they can watch together. If not, look for shows they like and she might be interested in. I don't want to watch every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or even 1 episode!)  50 times over like my kids do but I've found a few of them that are "ok" and will watch with them in order to be in their world if even for a half hour or so. It's about compromise.

The other point I forgot to make earlier is that for some reason kids will not bother you until it's "inconvenient" for you. I can sit in my room  or on the couch forever, with the door open, not doing much at all and not one of my 5 kids will talk to me. I guarantee you however, that the second I sit on the toilet, take a shower or actually get interested in a show, they're banging on the bathroom door or begin fighting.  I don't think it's too much to ask for an hr or 2 alone. Not to mention the mom on the show is watching TV that might be able to help her family!

March 21, 2006, 2:35 pm CST

Quote From: tweedle

I’ve lived in this lake side community for 6 years. The first three years were great. The neighbors (mostly summer people) and I got along great. Then the people across the street moved in. They act as if this is their private community and free run for their dogs. They would get back from their winter where ever and let the dogs run. I went over and asked them nicely to keep their dogs in their own yard. She gave me the deer in the head lights look as if I was speaking a foreign language or something. I tried to explain my son was terrified of big dog and that for the dog’s sake because a car could hit them they should be keep in their own yard.  

That worked for about two weeks and she would get lazy and just open the door and let the dogs out again instead of going out with them and keeping them in the yard.  I kept trying to get my boyfriend to go over and tell them to keep the dogs on their own property. He would not do it he just wanted to shoot the dogs. I went over again and asked them to keep the dogs on their own property or I will call the cops.  

Well they called my bluff and I did, 4 times…they have been cited and still will not keep the dogs on their property. Up until this year, they would go south or something during the winter but this year they have been here all year. I have almost hit the dogs twice with my car when they ran out chasing it. It was frustrating but at least I only had to deal with it 6 months of the year then they would leave and all would be well again. Until this year, they did not leave. All year I have had to fight with them about the dogs. 

My house is on the market now and moving out of the community. I told my real-estate agent I do not care who you sell the house to the worse the better as long as they have the money to pay for the house. I am so hoping she finds a stereotypical redneck family with 7 kids, grandma and grandpa and six pigs to move in the place. Paybacks are hell. 

Next time, take them to animal control, or someplace where they have to pay each time to get them out of hock. 

Sorry, I love dogs but it's not safe for ANYONE to have loose dogs running around--it's obviously not safe for the dogs and it's not safe for kids.  It's gross when somebody else's dog poops in your yard, and I would be totally traumatized if I accidentally hit a dog with my car, even if it wasn't my fault. 

March 21, 2006, 2:43 pm CST

Dr. Phil Obsession

I have not been told that my absolute necessity to watch Dr. Phil daily is an obsession but the comments are coming from my family faster and closer together than before. I don't care how they feel. I am 46, mother of four; ages 24, 23, 20 and 19. I also have two grandchildren. I do not work and feel as though I deserve my Dr. Phil hour every day. If they don't like it the ones left at home can hit the road. I worked for years and raised all four of these children and my husband! And I feel sometimes I am raising my grandaughters, too, so I am entitled!!  Ta-Da!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last