Message Boards

Topic : 03/28 Money Hungry

Number of Replies: 81
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, March 23, 2006, 07:15:01 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
How far would you go to make or save some extra cash? Christy calls her husband, Joel, the ultimate cheapskate. She says they never go on dates, and the last time she received a present from him was four years ago. She says Joel is such a tightwad, she even had to buy her own wedding ring! Then, Nichole says her sister, Amber, is so addicted to cold, hard cash that she even took a dangerous job breathing fire and married a man for $5,000. Amber admits she’s stuck in a vicious cycle and says she can’t get out.Will she be able to change her money-motivated lifestyle? Plus, meet a woman obsessed with scratch-off lottery tickets, and a mom who worries she’s raising a money-hungry son. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More March 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 28, 2006, 2:47 pm CST

03/28 Money Hungry

Quote From: shorty483

He is so selfish with his money he think of his son and himself first before his wife, His wife should be first..He sure is going to be lonely if he keeps it up.. women needs things  too.
Well, I think I can kinda understand what he's thinking a bit. I'm not defending him at all, because he's wrong, he's not evil.

Sometimes when you are married you get a bit of a "team player" attitude with your spouse. I've done it a few times in my marriage. He has the attitude that they are a team and they are on the same page on finances, but in actuality she is NOT on the same page as him at all.

He's had a wake up call, so maybe he'll change, hopefully. He seems to be married to a really awesome woman!

March 28, 2006, 2:47 pm CST

Not easy money

I just finished watching the conversation between Dr. Phil, Amber and her sister. I'd just like to say anyone who thinks that stripping is easy money has obviously never tried it for a day. Easy money? Imagine doing your regular job in 6 inch plus stillettos every day. Your feet constantly hurt. Your back is in chronic pain. Do you think that talking to men who you would never even glance at once on the street is easy? Do you think it's easy if you've had a bad day to get naked in front of strangers? I'm just sick and tired of society classifying this job as one where it is easy to earn money. I don't think people understand the physical, mental and emotional drain that strippers go through on a daily basis. 

...And Dr. Phil saying you don't have to go to a strip club to make money? Well, somebody has to. It's a business. It's an industry like anything else and if the girls aren't there, then the business doesn't exist. It's not like strip clubs are going to disappear at any point in this century. People will never grow tired of seeing skin. That's a fact. Anyone who wants to disagree is living in a fantasy world. 

I have been dancing for 5 years, and it's not like I haven't thought or heard any of the words that were on this show today. I didn't get into this because I don't have any respect for myself or anything like that. It started as a summer job during college. Why can't people accept that stripping is no different than waitressing or any other job that may be used as a stepping stone to get to where you really want to be in life. 

My best advice to Amber would be that you can't be pushed by other people to stop doing what you are doing. When you are ready to quit, you will know when the time is right. And to anybody who criticizes you for making money...tell them to spend a day in your shoes and then ask them if they think it's so easy. 

March 28, 2006, 2:48 pm CST

I too am a web Gal,,,,,,

Quote From: morphaiea

Hi!  I have only two questions.  When does the next semester begin?  Don't you owe it to yourself to register NOW?   

And when it is very difficult to get out of this busines once  your in it,,,,,,,,,,, since leaveing a job for a man who had all the right goals, just refused to  try for them. Instead he had oil and gas royalties, and did nothing but drink at the stroke of 3 pm, daily.While i put in 75+ hourson the machine~ inmy office door shut) 

Also ,, people who work, to him are  'Other People'. 

Life  in my opinion,,,, and having Lived it , from an abusive childhood,, skipped 5 states to run from that, i ended up supporting my  mother who was very ill and died,,, at 49,,,, I certainly dont think its bad,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, like he said it is a road to nowhere,,,,,,,,,, and with the economy the way it is,,,well,,,,,,,, I must  do this for now. I dont have choices. IF i want to continue to eat,,, and keep that roof over my head. 

Just because dr. Phil says its demeaning, some  do not think it is,,,and ,, it's a way of life for me,and i do work a part time job now at a golf course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it wouldnt pay for  A meal with minimum wage.(last month ihad no food but bread and rice,,,and sandwich meat, ate at work whenever i cuold) 

this is what ya get for putting  two men through school and then get a divorce,,(i did give family first a try ,, it didnt work in my situation.), or trapped in my own home w/o a car or any way to get around. trapped ,(he did that to keep me home), so yes,,,,,, to me this isnt that bad. Worse would be a  stripper bar with the thugs breathing on me. 

anyway ,,,,, just my thoughts. 

agree or disagree. 

audry 

If i htought for aminute something could bebetter,,,, you BETCHA i would try it,,, thus far,, alone and in bankrupcy over men,,,, i have no choices.  

and todays show certainly didnt help. AND i TRY like Hell,,,,,,,,,,to do other things. 

thanks for lettin me vent. 

March 28, 2006, 2:52 pm CST

Joel and Christy......

As I sit here watching Joel and Christy, I am struck with a sense of Deja-Vu....This man is my husband to the exact degree!!!  Only, at least, Joel was willing to go on the show!! My husband refuses to think anyone knows anything about money except him.   We are fighting right now over a credit card debt of $2,000.00, and he is completely irrational. The credit card limit is $2,000.00; it is in his name, but I make the payments on it. We got into it before when I had the card and had a running balance on it most of the time. I made the payments but he always wanted it paid in FULL every month. He HATES paying interest!!, but on my salary, I could not afford the full amt. every time. He runs his own business and also owns several farms in partnership with his brothers, (approx.  1,000 acres). My name is not on any of the farms, except for a small part (approx.20 acres) Though my name IS on the mortgage for the house we just built, it is NOT on the farm that the house sits on. He tried to have his name ONLY put on the mortgage last year when we built the house, but even the bank told him that it had to have my name too. I work as a nurse, and am responsible for my own bills,....clothing, food, gas, insurance, medical, etc. The only thing I do not pay for is the house payment, my vehicle (which is in HIS name), and my auto insurance, (which he has put as a business vehicle so that the business pays for it) We have two children, a girl 14 yrs, and a boy 12 yrs.  Although we agreed that he would pay the kid's bills,,,,school, clothes, Dr., etc. ,I find that I pay for most of it, as most of their appoints. etc. are during the day, when I am home, or because I am the one who takes them. He doe not pay me back. I have paid for the school registrations every year,( approx. $80.00 per child+lunches, lab fees, etc. ...a total approx. $100.-$120. per child ) from the time they started school , up until this last fall......and I told him to do it this year. He about had a stroke when he had to shell out $220.00!!!!! Then he complained about the school system, teachers, taxes,etc. to anyone who would listen for three months!! He went on and on about how much that school has cost HIM over the years!!! What's he talking about?? I'M the one who paid all the years before this one!! He has NO IDEA how much money I have spent on Dr. appoints. Dentist appoints, school activities, school sports fees, gas running kids here and there to games, practices, etc. But if I mention it to him, his solution is ,,don't let the kids do anything. They only have one extra-cirricular activity...my son is just starting track, and my daughter goes to church group. Neither one has ever been taken, or picked up by their dad. My husband has always been a basketball and football nut, and will play for hours at the park , at family gatherings, reunions,etc. with his nephews. This same man refused to go outside and practice with his daughter when she took girl's basketball last year. The only thing he did was go to her home games, and only then because I badgered him into it. The same goes for school concerts. As for parent-teacher conferences .....forget it!! That's MY job!! Then when I tell him what happened at the conferenc,,he gripes about how come those teachers don't do this or that, etc.  When I tell him to go and talk to the teachers, he refuses...says he doesn't have time. Anyway...... to the subject at hand.....we agreed to split our bills. He pays for the house payment, and the electric bill. I pay for the satellite tv, the internet, the phone. Plus of course my own medical bills, prescriptions, etc. He has no medical bills, I have several, as I had cancer several years ago and had to have surgery, arthritis, heart problems. Anyway.... since he was making the house payments ($900.00/ month), he stated that I would be responsible for paying for Christmas. I managed to save $500.00, as he didn't inform me of this until about Sept. or Oct. So I used the $500.00 from my savings, then charged $469.00 of Christmas to his credit card. Of course, all the gifts had BOTH our names on them. Then I used it for my daughter's birthday gift ($150.00) in January. This brought the total amt. owed to a little over $2100.00 as of now. I have been making payments on it every month and of at least $100.00 each time. The other night he wanted me to order something on-line and pay for it with the credit card. When I told him it probably would not go through, that it was at it's limit, he became irate, stating that I was "sucking him dry", that me and my children were nothing more than "f***ing leaches" He went on for about 10 minutes, then went into the bedroom and slammed the door, and went to bed. He has not spoken to me since, It has been a week last Monday. Oh by the way...HE charged $300.00 of Tools to this same card....of which I am making the payments.Also, Just a few days before this , he stated that he had borrowed over $6,000.00 from the brothers partnership to make HIS bill payments. I sincerely doubt that they threw a major fit!! Right now, I am just treading water. We 're not speaking,or anything else. He acts as though it were $1,000,000,000.00 !!!!!I I can understand a large amount, $5,000.00 or higher, but $2,000.00?? I cannot believe how much money means to some people!!!!! It's so stupid!!!! I often wonder how he'll feel, when all he has is his money.....no wife, no kids, no nobody.   Totally frustrated!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to ramble on!!! Wished I could get someway of getting my husband to see this show!!!!!  

March 28, 2006, 3:18 pm CST

Maybe he will get a clue

There is nothing wrong with being thrifty and conservative but Joel is harming his relationship with his wife by not getting her something-anything-for her birthday,christmas,anniversary,etc. to let her know that she is special and loved and adored. Does she get him anything for these occaisions? I know I sure wouldn't. But maybe when he sees himself on t.v. he will see what a thoughtless jerk he came accross as. He has potential whereas Ken from yesterday seemed to have none.

March 28, 2006, 3:30 pm CST

Christy and Joel

My BF and I are not ready to get married yet.  I think if you buy your own ring, he probably doesn't want to marry you. 

The truck she was driving looked both new and expensive.  She seemed a bit materialistic.  If you do the bills, then go buy what you want.  Of get a job.  I'm temping now and she could too. 

March 28, 2006, 3:39 pm CST

03/28 Money Hungry

just wanted to post a comment about dr phil's rather shallow (I thought) analysis of stripping. the dangers he described are not consequences of stripping - the percentages are so high because american society devalues trades like that to the point where a high percentage of people entering the trade have been abused/used/etc. it's not the stripping that is the problem, it's the devaluing of young girls, and the devaluing of the trade that causes the two to co-exist. I have friends who work voluntarily in similar lines of work, without coercion, without shame etc, and with the tools to keep themselves safe. the work isn't the problem...I wish dr phil didn't make it sound so simple like: stripping = danger. the danger comes from far less simple things than that.

March 28, 2006, 3:51 pm CST

03/28 Money Hungry

I also know that when one person is making money and the other isn't, it can be a problem.  I have to be careful right now because my BF is out of work.  I have money because I'm temping but it can be a sore point if I forget.

March 28, 2006, 4:19 pm CST

03/28 Money Hungry

Quote From: doll_face

I just finished watching the conversation between Dr. Phil, Amber and her sister. I'd just like to say anyone who thinks that stripping is easy money has obviously never tried it for a day. Easy money? Imagine doing your regular job in 6 inch plus stillettos every day. Your feet constantly hurt. Your back is in chronic pain. Do you think that talking to men who you would never even glance at once on the street is easy? Do you think it's easy if you've had a bad day to get naked in front of strangers? I'm just sick and tired of society classifying this job as one where it is easy to earn money. I don't think people understand the physical, mental and emotional drain that strippers go through on a daily basis. 

...And Dr. Phil saying you don't have to go to a strip club to make money? Well, somebody has to. It's a business. It's an industry like anything else and if the girls aren't there, then the business doesn't exist. It's not like strip clubs are going to disappear at any point in this century. People will never grow tired of seeing skin. That's a fact. Anyone who wants to disagree is living in a fantasy world. 

I have been dancing for 5 years, and it's not like I haven't thought or heard any of the words that were on this show today. I didn't get into this because I don't have any respect for myself or anything like that. It started as a summer job during college. Why can't people accept that stripping is no different than waitressing or any other job that may be used as a stepping stone to get to where you really want to be in life. 

My best advice to Amber would be that you can't be pushed by other people to stop doing what you are doing. When you are ready to quit, you will know when the time is right. And to anybody who criticizes you for making money...tell them to spend a day in your shoes and then ask them if they think it's so easy. 

I would be sure that feet would hurt a lot, as well as bottoms and bosoms that get pinched.    I know someone who strips and she said that some clubs are better than others in that some places don't let customers touch the dancers, while others encourage it.  Yuck!  She says it pays a lot more money than any other job she's had, she is thinking about leaving it once she has saved enough.  I hope she does get out for her own safety.

March 28, 2006, 4:35 pm CST

Christy and Joel

I would like to comment on Christy and Joel, it would appear that he makes more of an effort in his personal appearance than she does. Maybe if she put a little more effort to be attractive to him then he would be more motivated to do more for her.  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last