Message Boards

Topic : Bullies

Number of Replies: 535
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:44:13 pm
Author : dataimport
Bullying is far more serious than just name-calling and teasing. It's escalated to include harassment, beatings and even death threats. Share your bully stories, give and get advice from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 22, 2008, 4:03 pm CDT

Bullies

Quote From: borido

If nobody says anything about the behaviour of the media and the people in common than things can never improve (in this case about pedophiles). Sadly imo about the same things had and have to be done for homophiles.
If people can become mean if I start to talk about these things, then,correct me if I'm wrong, than they are the ones who are doing wrong, right? Then why are you talking to me, and try not to correct them? If after the swimlessons the other kids were bullying on me, then you think that I should change? I thought these other kids should change! Why do you seem to join the majority? Why do you advice me to go to a therapist if others are being mean? For I care the society should change if they are behaving mean. If the society doesn't change, than that means that you could become only happy if you were lucky (being "normal").

In my first posting I said many things,but I wasn't trying to talk about my mental illness. That it's a mental illness is what other people say, but I seriously doubt if that is true. At least we could agree that it is a sexual taste? I didn't ask for my sexual taste (or my mental illness, if it's an illness), and in my first posting I friendly asked if the terminology on this website could be changed, or explained why not. That's not an unreasonable thing to ask, is it?

Something I don't think is a mental illness, but I think it's very negative, is the behaviour of people in groups hurting and insulting (bullying) on people who are different, and therefore pushing people out. You can notice such behaviour if you look at children, and ususally the weakest children are the victim of this part of human nature. One example I allready mentioned below in my previous posting, after the swim lessons). Another example, but then for adults, is imo the subject "pedophiles" are treated. Such a person seems to be a child molester anyhow, if I read the media and hear the opinions of others. Pedophiles hardly dare to defend themselves (such like as the weakest children). I really think that this behaviour of the "normal" people should change. Imo it's group bullying! But it's not a mental disease, I just think that people should be more aware of it that they have it in them, because it can make them really mean.

I thank you for mentioning the swim and gymteachers. Maybe you could help by talking more about this? If many people started to talk of the behaviour of some (or most?) of these people, then things could change,and this way you're really much helping children, in this case, usually the weakest ones.

I agree with the writer who suggested this was not the place for this subject. I believe there is a forum for mental illness. Maybe someone there can help them advance beyond  the age of 8 or 9.  May God help them.

Bye.

April 22, 2008, 4:21 pm CDT

Bullies

Quote From: margeryb123

I agree with the writer who suggested this was not the place for this subject. I believe there is a forum for mental illness. Maybe someone there can help them advance beyond  the age of 8 or 9.  May God help them.

Bye.

I don't think I will go there, but I like to say thanks for your nice posting.

Borido

April 27, 2008, 11:12 pm CDT

mean girls

I've been pretty shocked lately by the way I see friends of my daughter treating one another.  They are 13 and 14 which just seems to be a very insecure time for many girls.  When we have different girls with us they always talk very badly about the girl or person who isn't with the group at that time.  My daughter never says anything negative when I'm around but may give into peer pressure when I not there.  I think she's insecure about her friendships because she's knows how critical her friends are with each other.  She's also been bullied by different "friends" over the years.  I worry that she'll go into high school not having confidence or knowing how to pick people who are going to be "true" friends.  I talk to her about it but she doesn't open up as much as she used to.  Any suggestions? 

April 30, 2008, 7:33 am CDT

Im dealing with it too.

My name is courtney im a freshman and i deal with bulling everyday iv'e been suspended twice this year for it. Iv'e been in fights because i cant control my anger.

April 30, 2008, 12:18 pm CDT

Bullies

Hi Courtney,

I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this issue, too.  I don't understand why people have to be so mean to one another.  I hope things are better for both you and my daughter over the summer. 

May 16, 2008, 4:25 pm CDT

teens

Quote From: reenie94

I've been pretty shocked lately by the way I see friends of my daughter treating one another.  They are 13 and 14 which just seems to be a very insecure time for many girls.  When we have different girls with us they always talk very badly about the girl or person who isn't with the group at that time.  My daughter never says anything negative when I'm around but may give into peer pressure when I not there.  I think she's insecure about her friendships because she's knows how critical her friends are with each other.  She's also been bullied by different "friends" over the years.  I worry that she'll go into high school not having confidence or knowing how to pick people who are going to be "true" friends.  I talk to her about it but she doesn't open up as much as she used to.  Any suggestions? 

I allso have a 14 year old daughter. I'm sorry so many young girls have to go threw this. My daughter has allso been bullied and harrassed. The best thing you can do is stand by your child. You need to let her know she can talk to you about ANYTHING. And you need to understand what its like to be a teen at this day an age. Its allot differant now than when we were teens.If you get a chance read this book. ( queenbees and wannabees ). You will understand everything after reading this. I read it wiyh my daughter. It helped her to open up a little bit more about what was going on. Wish your daughter well from mine. I allso wish you the best.  Stacy

May 19, 2008, 5:14 pm CDT

Bullies

Quote From: scollette1973

I allso have a 14 year old daughter. I'm sorry so many young girls have to go threw this. My daughter has allso been bullied and harrassed. The best thing you can do is stand by your child. You need to let her know she can talk to you about ANYTHING. And you need to understand what its like to be a teen at this day an age. Its allot differant now than when we were teens.If you get a chance read this book. ( queenbees and wannabees ). You will understand everything after reading this. I read it wiyh my daughter. It helped her to open up a little bit more about what was going on. Wish your daughter well from mine. I allso wish you the best.  Stacy
I will get the book, thanks so much for your helpful reply. 

June 4, 2008, 5:39 pm CDT

The word pedophile

I've seen some people object to the use of the word pedophile, as in referring to their sexual preferences. So I am asking, what would you perfer:

1. Person who finds children sexy

2. Fantasizer of children

3. Kiddy licker

4. One who blames children for seducing them

5. Sexualizer of children

6. Person who feels they are not a risk to society, despite their knowledge that kids turn them on.

I would say Pedophile is a pretty nice way of putting things compared to those. I mean, we can come up with other names, as I've displayed above, however you must know by now those names would be far more demeaning than the politically correct term Pedophile.

July 7, 2008, 9:38 pm CDT

Bullies

Bullies are everywhere it seems like. All bullies are ,are just selfless minded weakling. That try to make everything bad for everyone else. It takes a lot to stand up to one to. It is also hard to ingnore a bully. But it can be done. I hate it this saying though "sticks and stones may break my bones ,but words may never hurt me."

Words can hurt to. Just as much as sticks and stones. But if we pull together we can get away from the bullying soon enough.

August 26, 2008, 1:32 pm CDT

Glorify the Differences

The main reason a child is bullied is because he is different in some way whether it be because of a lisp or a disability or because they may have a well-known parent--there is a whole spectrum of differences.  A good way to approach the situation would be to go to your child's class and make a presentation on whatever the difference is, just to help the class better understand what is happening.  For example, in my grade school class, there was one girl who had eye surgery.  Her dad came to class and talked a bit about it and then gave us all eye patches to wear if we wanted, just like his daughter.  If anything, her disability was glorified by the experience.  --from Ron

First | Prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | Next | Last