Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 Plastic People

Number of Replies: 780
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 31, 2006, 12:53:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/06/06) Dr. Phil speaks to people who are searching for the perfect body. Gina admits to an obsession with plastic surgery and has a long wish list of procedures she'd like to have done in her quest for perfection. Her fiancé, Jason, finds her the picture of perfection and says she needs to stop. With their wedding on the horizon, second thoughts are creeping into Jason's mind. Then, Michael's wife, Christy, repulses him and he can't even kiss her. Christy is trying to lose weight so she can look attractive for her husband, but his repulsion makes her feel unworthy. Should Christy lose weight and try to look more like a model, or should Michael accept her just the way she is? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 5, 2006, 9:15 pm CDT

TO THE BOTH OF YOU

Micheal is so lost that it only makes him feel better to put you down about your appearence than to confront his own guilt.  I can't imagine my husband ever saying anything negative about my appearance.  It would just crush my heart!  I don't understand how you can live with this man.  I strongly believe when you take those vows...It really is for better or for worse...He is not living up to that promise.  Think about yourself in your death bed (God forbid)...Will he be there for you?  If the answer is no...You two might have to seek some major counseling.  If I were you, I would try and lose weight...Not for his benefit, but to be healthier and live a longer life.  It doesn't mean that you have to loose a signigicant amount of weight.  Talk to your nutritionist and see what goal he/she will set for you.  Eat healthier as well.  You will feel so much better about yourself and health. 

And for the chick that is getting all this surgery done...Girlfriend, noone was born perfect but GOD.  You were obviousley born with a lot of defects (so you think), otherwise you would not be getting all this surgery.  You are going to end up killing yourself with all this crap!  There is no such thing as perfection in us...just GOD.  Maybe if you got a little closer to the Lord you wouldn't feel so ugly.   

April 5, 2006, 10:51 pm CDT

New Breasts

I am 47 - and in 1999 had one of my breasts removed.  I had one reconstruction that turned out horrible in 2003 - so I lived with lopsided like I was before fir those almost 3 years.  I then went to a different doctor and though it has been a tough and long road it will be worth iti in the long run.  I still have a good enough body to wear halter tops and so I am going to - I still  can feel comfrotable in a nathing suit - bikini - for the first time in a long time and I am going to wear those too.  I was thinner when I had my breast removed BUT I feel so much mor confident about my body now - I was a C cup before and I went to both of them being a D cup - I figured - go for it - that I cannot wait until the summer gets here for me to be ble to REALLY be comfortable in my own body.  I did the suregeries - 4 alone this last time around - for ME andf no one else but ME !  I am realistic enough to know tht my breasts were damaged back in 99 and they will never be perfect again as if I was someone just gettijng larger breasts for the heck of it - but I also know they lool alot better than beofre and I dont have to any longer worry about the rubber or foram falling our ot of my dreses or bathing suits.   Warm weather and halter tops here I come ! 

I really wish I could get rid of some wrinkles in my face and have a mini facelift - but maybe next year.  Its your body - do what you want to with it - as long as it is YOU want it and not to pleasse someone else or to make the mistkae of thinking that this is going to change your whole life and personality - it won't - that you have to do for yourself and on yuor own

April 6, 2006, 1:37 am CDT

04/06 Plastic People

Quote From: confuzalid

Men do have so many double standards. I for one am totally fed up. I have been single every since my overweight husband left me in 96. God knows how in the same year he was married to me he found another attractive woman and decided to go for it. I am now friends with him as we do have children together. But anyway on to this topic. Plastic women are taking us back into the era of women are to be seen and not heard. By God, it may not be in my day and age but someday women will be heard. I wish I could get a group started. This revolution has to start somewhere. Men are sick. They roam about the earth doing not much of anything But boy do they expect alot. Women have got to stop trying so hard to be looked at by men. These plastics are only attracting the sickest of all. Do they think they are achieving true love. Blah, what a joke. What are they going to do when all the plastic slides south with their skin. Bottom line is that there is always someone cuter lerking around the next corner and given the chance any man will pounce. Like it or not Dems da brakes. Gotta love it.

Are you lumping all men into the same category?  If so, that's the wrong way to handle this, and you've basically become a sexist.  (Sexism doesn't just refer to men stereotyping women, ya know...)  I'm a guy, and I'm actually offended by that statement.   

I understand that your husband was a jerk, but don't use him as the absolute benchmark for all men out there.  Not all of us judge women solely by looks.   

...then again, from what I've seen, the few men, such as myself, that aren't so shallow are often depicted as "dorky," "unattractive," or "weak-spirited," as opposed to "agressive," "popular," orotherwise "attractive." 

April 6, 2006, 2:06 am CDT

Dr.Phil says....

What never gets old is your soul, that's what you just need to focus on!

April 6, 2006, 3:52 am CDT

Why Bash all men?

You know what, this is nothing more than a man bashing forum. I have been married for 15 yrs to my wife and she has gained a few lbs after 2 kids and I find her just  as sexy as the day we met. I dissagree with the statements that all men want runway models, and if we say we dont we are liars. Some of us do appreciate the curves  that a woman has to offer and we do Love our wives for other things than thier body. I have stuck with her  through good times and  bad times, through her cancer and surgeries and any other hardships that have came about, just as she has stuck by my side. I woulndt dream of ever telling her she needs to lose weight for ME ! She is who I married and who I will stay with untill the good Lord takes us to a higher plain. Also,  I still look at her with the same fire I did 16 yrs ago. So get over the hate and look for a guy who is true to his heart, for he will than be true to yours.

April 6, 2006, 4:18 am CDT

Michael....

I observed Michael and he is not a hansome man, not even close...Does he have a mirror?  

How can a man marry with a woman and try to change everything in her? Who does he think he is? 

April 6, 2006, 4:42 am CDT

Christy's self-worth has been stripped away

I feel really bad for Christy.  Her self-worth has been totally stripped away by a callous, self-centered and extremely shallow individual-her husband. When a person is constantly picked at and insulted and criticized, their self-esteem will plummet. This becomes a vicious circle.  Let's say Christy does lose five pounds, and then in walks hubby and he callously comments that she looks fat in the outfit she is wearing. This of course makes her feel worse about herself and it also makes her say "what's the use?  He is still repulsed by me". So all the hard work goes down the drain as she probably turns to food for comfort.  Why?  Because eating feels good and food doesn't reject her like her husband does. Then the five pounds come back on, but the self-esteem is lower now from the latest jab he gave her. 

As I've said in other postings, alot of shallow men can't see past the Hollywood fakeness-make-up, touched up photos, false lashes. These women don't even look like themselves! My favorite example-catch a CANDID photo of Jennifer Aniston-not a posed one or a very touched up cover girl image on a magazine-and you will see a very ordinary  woman.  Yes, make-up can work wonders! But men continue to put pressure on their wives, or girlfirends to live up to this phony image.  Michael's complaints that Christy should have perfect nails, skin, hair etc. are also unrealistic from a perspective of time.  A wife and mother's day is quite full. She does not have the luxury that "Hollywood" has of spending all day getting beautified while someone else cleans their home and plays nanny to their kids.  ( Keep in mind-I am not talking about basic hygiene-if she didn't shower or comb her hair I'd say he has a legitimate complaint) If Michael wants to help Christy lose weight he needs to be supportive, praise her success and encourage her, not demean her.  But I fear it is going to take a LONG time for her to get past the hurt he inflicted on her. 

April 6, 2006, 5:06 am CDT

It's bull

Dr Phil nailed it on the head when he said it's more about this guy's insecurity with himself than it is about his wife. She could get to a size 2 and he would still have issues because it's about him. 

A jerk is a jerk no matter how beautiful or thin the wife is. When I was younger I knew a very famous couple in which the wife was (and still is) considered to be one of the great beauties in hollywood. I will never forget the husband asking me over the phone if I had a "hot" friend I could "hook" him up with when he came to town. When I asked about his wife, of course he gave the "We're having problems' line, but then he said, "Well, a guy's gotta have variety." Not hard to see where the problem was in that marriage. Of course, they are now divorced. 

April 6, 2006, 5:20 am CDT

04/06 Plastic People

Quote From: tcfd32

You know what, this is nothing more than a man bashing forum. I have been married for 15 yrs to my wife and she has gained a few lbs after 2 kids and I find her just  as sexy as the day we met. I dissagree with the statements that all men want runway models, and if we say we dont we are liars. Some of us do appreciate the curves  that a woman has to offer and we do Love our wives for other things than thier body. I have stuck with her  through good times and  bad times, through her cancer and surgeries and any other hardships that have came about, just as she has stuck by my side. I woulndt dream of ever telling her she needs to lose weight for ME ! She is who I married and who I will stay with untill the good Lord takes us to a higher plain. Also,  I still look at her with the same fire I did 16 yrs ago. So get over the hate and look for a guy who is true to his heart, for he will than be true to yours.
You sound a lot like my own husband. I am so glad to see that there are more like him out there. I can tell you that y'all are a rare breed. If men have a bad name for being crazy over model like women they have earned it all on their own. If a good looking woman walks down the street past a construction site you can see why men get the label of being dogs. They act like she is the first woman they have seen in years. Some of them have to pick their tongues up off the ground before they get stepped on. Men earned the dog name and it isn't fair to those of you who are not dogs.

April 6, 2006, 6:10 am CDT

I wish I had these women's problems

When women come on the show crying about how they dont like their bodies, it just nauseates me.  When i think of all the problems and responsibilities I have, fixing my childbirth ravaged body is way down on the list.  Now it is true that I would like for the stretch marks not to have happened, but I also love myself, I am proud of my "battle scars", I am proud of my children and I refuse to go under the knife to try to conform to some unattainable cultural image.  Plus, I'm a single mom.. who can afford that!  I think maybe these women should spend some time with some lepers in Africa who have lost arms and fingers and legs and toes and get ahold of some perspective.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last