Message Boards

Topic : 07/25 Plastic People

Number of Replies: 780
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 31, 2006, 12:53:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/06/06) Dr. Phil speaks to people who are searching for the perfect body. Gina admits to an obsession with plastic surgery and has a long wish list of procedures she'd like to have done in her quest for perfection. Her fiancé, Jason, finds her the picture of perfection and says she needs to stop. With their wedding on the horizon, second thoughts are creeping into Jason's mind. Then, Michael's wife, Christy, repulses him and he can't even kiss her. Christy is trying to lose weight so she can look attractive for her husband, but his repulsion makes her feel unworthy. Should Christy lose weight and try to look more like a model, or should Michael accept her just the way she is? Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 31, 2006, 9:25 pm CDT

this is Christy from the show

I am happy to report that I was able to go to the doctor that Dr Phil set me up with and they found many things that are causing my weight gain and stopping me from losing.  The doctor said they have never had anyone from the show that is as messed up medicaly as me.  So I am so thankful for the show, and their help to find what was wrong with me.  I have learned many lessons through this, I have learned not everyone who has a weight problem has one because they eat chili cheese fries all day, and also that when you know something is wrong with your body do everything you can to find out what.  I am in the process of correcting all that is wrong.  It is a long hard process, but so for I have seen a lot of good (a lot of my symptoms aside from weight are gone or ceasing).  As for my husband, he no longer talks to me about my weight, he got to see how much it hurt me and did not want me to hurt like that.  We are doing great aside from the side affects of my medications, I am great. 

August 1, 2006, 1:24 pm CDT

07/25 Plastic People

Quote From: rubitulip

I am happy to report that I was able to go to the doctor that Dr Phil set me up with and they found many things that are causing my weight gain and stopping me from losing.  The doctor said they have never had anyone from the show that is as messed up medicaly as me.  So I am so thankful for the show, and their help to find what was wrong with me.  I have learned many lessons through this, I have learned not everyone who has a weight problem has one because they eat chili cheese fries all day, and also that when you know something is wrong with your body do everything you can to find out what.  I am in the process of correcting all that is wrong.  It is a long hard process, but so for I have seen a lot of good (a lot of my symptoms aside from weight are gone or ceasing).  As for my husband, he no longer talks to me about my weight, he got to see how much it hurt me and did not want me to hurt like that.  We are doing great aside from the side affects of my medications, I am great. 

I am very happy for you that you are getting things under control. You deserve to  be happy and I am glad you are finding it. Thank you for filling us in on your progress.

August 1, 2006, 3:47 pm CDT

This woman is beautiful as is.

Gina , i think her name was.  i try not to be judgemental or mean. We all have faults but women like this woman make it harder on themselves and other women.  can't people learn to love themselves as is?  After all the work is not actually keeping up to your outter appearance, by plastic surgery.  it's your personality that is the work or what draws people in.  why is she really doing this.  I mean really, why do people want to be attractive to the "moviestar extent?"  it's usually to get attention.  isn't she married and with child?  Shouldn't she be concerned with them, and them only.  I could think of better things for her to do with her money, like helping me out with my debts. (Haha!)

Thanks, Sandra

August 1, 2006, 5:27 pm CDT

Same boat!

I find that I am in the same boat as Christie on the show. I have been married fifteen years and have three beautiful children. A year an a  half ago I found out that my husband had visited a whore house while at work in Brazil. It was what I thought was the hardest time of my life. He begged me to stay and promised it would never happen again. we went to counseling for a while but eventually that ended. i guess I thought that we were going to be ok. After all this was a mistake and he was sorry. He works 28 on and 28 off in Brazil for an oil company. He left for Brazil again in early July and two days after he left I found out that he wanted a divorce. He said that my weight was the main reason that he wanted out. He said that I was not his "Ideal looking wife" that he had always pictured himself with. He wanted me to go from a size 26 to a size 8, get plastic surgery on my breast, and wear makeup all the time (even grocery store). he said that the reason that he never took me out was because he was ashamed to be seen with me.  How can someone that you have loved so completely see you in this way?  He is finally getting his company where he wants it and now he doesn't want me? Our children are in middle school and high school. We were just about at the point where they did not need us aas much and we could travel. These hatefull things went on for about two weeks. Since then he has said that these issues are not my issues but rather his and that he doesn't want to loose me. He want's to fight for our marriage. He continues to go out every night with the guys there and liv the exciting single life while I take care of everything here at home. He is only going to be home three weeks this hitch and has already made an appointment to go see a plastic surgeon to fix his "man boobs." He will be home on Thursday and I don't know what to do. Will I ever be able to get past this? Will he ever see me for the wonderful person that I truly am? I can't eat anymore. I go days where the thought of food makes me sick. I need help!!

August 3, 2006, 8:16 am CDT

To Christie from the show

Quote From: rubitulip

Hi Christie,

I have never,ever in my life, done this.  (I'm referring to the fact that I am e-mailing a perfect stranger with the hopes that you'll contact me personally.)    I know that just about every TV show has a website that a person can click onto and be "involved" in.  I have never taken the time to do that . . .  until now.  I didn't see the show with you and Michael until the July 25th, 2006 airing.

I knew then that I wanted to "log on" and do whatever I could to try to contact you.  It's really important to me.    You know, scripture teaches that the trials and troubles we go through on this earth is not only for us to grow in character and in strength in Him, but also for the benefit of others.  I believe that it was a "divine appointment" that the Lord had me watch that particular Dr. Phil show.  I even missed the 1st  part of the show.  When I tuned in,  the segment with you and Michael were just beginning!!  I firmly believe that your bravery to air your private and very personal "trial" on National TV, was and is for my benefit!

May I step out on a limb, and ask you to PLEASE, PLEASE contact me?

I am sooo,sooo glad that you've been able to receive medical help, and to get some answers to your questions/problem. 

If you decide to contact me, you may do so at

ToBe777@peoplepc.com

I'll be looking - hoping and praying - for your e-mail.

Sincerely,

a sister in Christ,

Tonia

August 7, 2006, 10:59 am CDT

thin is overrated

I just found out about the show with Christy & Michael and it sounds so familar.  My husband of 20 years left me over 4 years ago for a skinner woman.  I had gained over 60 pounds during those years due to health problems.  It was also adviced from several Dr.s to have a breat reduction which I did.   It wasn't until the breast procedure that I noticed the real change.  The sex STOPPED right away.  At first I thought it was because of him wanting to wait until I was healed but after a while I realized it was more.  It was then that I asked him what the problem was and his words were "I love you but I don't desire you".  I mentioned that I had not gained weight recently so what changed.  His words then were "well I can not stand the site of your stomach being bigger then your boobs".  WHOA what a shock that was.  I can not help but think what was it about me that he fell in love "with".  That is a hard one to swallow after 20 years of a almost perfect marriage.  I do have to say after the surgery I had great looking breasts, too bad I didn't have a husband to enjoy them.

My advice to Christy is leave his butt.  A leopard does not change their spots.  You are a beautiful person and do not deserve to wonder everyday if Michael is going to leave you.  If you do lose the weight you will still be miserable, worried about gaining it back.

It took a while but I have excepted myself for who  I am and I am the happiest I have ever been.

August 7, 2006, 10:31 pm CDT

sinking boat

Quote From: math3495

I find that I am in the same boat as Christie on the show. I have been married fifteen years and have three beautiful children. A year an a  half ago I found out that my husband had visited a whore house while at work in Brazil. It was what I thought was the hardest time of my life. He begged me to stay and promised it would never happen again. we went to counseling for a while but eventually that ended. i guess I thought that we were going to be ok. After all this was a mistake and he was sorry. He works 28 on and 28 off in Brazil for an oil company. He left for Brazil again in early July and two days after he left I found out that he wanted a divorce. He said that my weight was the main reason that he wanted out. He said that I was not his "Ideal looking wife" that he had always pictured himself with. He wanted me to go from a size 26 to a size 8, get plastic surgery on my breast, and wear makeup all the time (even grocery store). he said that the reason that he never took me out was because he was ashamed to be seen with me.  How can someone that you have loved so completely see you in this way?  He is finally getting his company where he wants it and now he doesn't want me? Our children are in middle school and high school. We were just about at the point where they did not need us aas much and we could travel. These hatefull things went on for about two weeks. Since then he has said that these issues are not my issues but rather his and that he doesn't want to loose me. He want's to fight for our marriage. He continues to go out every night with the guys there and liv the exciting single life while I take care of everything here at home. He is only going to be home three weeks this hitch and has already made an appointment to go see a plastic surgeon to fix his "man boobs." He will be home on Thursday and I don't know what to do. Will I ever be able to get past this? Will he ever see me for the wonderful person that I truly am? I can't eat anymore. I go days where the thought of food makes me sick. I need help!!

Reading you entry makes me want to cry because I know the hurt of a husband turning against you because of weight.   IF and when you decide to lose weight it has got to be for yourself and your children (because of health problems)  I can look at pictures and realize that I was not an attractive person because of the weight, but looking at the same pictures my husband was no Brad Pitt.  When we got together over 23 years ago he had hair and very muscular body.   I am a hand person so my husbands large strong hands were a turn on for me.  Well needless to say after a while not only did I gain weight but his muscular body  and rugged hands disappeared, his hair went the same way.  But I would never of thought of leaving him.   I loved him no matter what.  True if I would meet him for the first time now with his looks I would not be attractive to him.  But a marriage is more then looks.

I do not see how your marriage can be saved if he is not home for 28 days at a time and is out with his friends every night.  Our children were 15 and 19 when my husband decided to leave so I know what you mean about getting your life to a place were you could travel without the kids.  When you work for something for 20 years (in my case) you figure you have all the bad stuff figured out and only the good is left. 

I have came to the realization that my ex was a very selfish person and he always came first.  It sounds like your husband might be the same way.    I have so many more thoughts for you but they are hard to form to words.  

I hope you read this and reply back.  Until then please don't starve yourself for him. 

August 10, 2006, 10:09 pm CDT

Focus on the inside

I have only just seen this show as I'm in Australia but felt strongly enough to post a message about it. The stories were very interesting and pointed out the total obsession with physicality that pervades both the US and Australia.

My comment is actually to the 'Mrs America' person who felt compelled to state that anyone who doesn't look after themselves is 'lazy'.

Well if having weekly manicures, pedicures, obsessively working out etc. etc. says you aren't lazy then there must be a damn lot of women out there who are lazy!!! First of all who has the money to self-obssess in that way??? Those sort of things cost a lot of money which obviously she is fortunate enough to have, but lots of people don't!! Perhaps she'd get some perspective if she spent even half that cash on some well deserving children in Africa who don't get food, let alone manicures.

She is the eptiome of selfishness in my opinion, I am overweight but still have pride in ME and by that I mean my mind, my soul, my family and somewhere in that my appearance which doesn't have to be perfect, just comfortable and neat. I spend my time running a home, family and business that provides myself and 5 others with employment, and you say I'm lazy because I don't care if I'm not a Barbie doll who is a size 8?? How dare you generalise in such a way, perhaps I just have different priorities but being a perfect looking person is WAY too unimportant to stand in the way of the many other things that fill my life.

I am still fuming that she was allowed to tell Christie (?) that men are interested in the 'visual' and try to influence her in that way, I could tell by Dr Phil's expression that he was as horrified as I was at her blatant taking over of the conversation to push her 1950's views.

Spare me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 15, 2007, 11:24 am CST

that is funny

Quote From: fitnessman

Some men need to just realize that not ALL women care about their health well being and appearance. I own a gym and after seeing the explosion of obesity in this country I decided to try and do something about it. First I listened to every excuse why these women stay presentable until the get married and then simply let themselves go. So I offered free membership, free personal trainer, free nutritionist advice and free day care at my gym and only women took me up on the offer and they both quit after the first week.  Laziness is the answer, plain and simple.
i am sorry but i just had to reply, woman are not the only ones who do not care. I see men walking around every day with their bellies hanging over their pants. I think this thing about woman not caring after they get married is so wrong!!!!! go to the mall or better yet the beach and take a good look around.

July 11, 2007, 10:24 pm CDT

NO 1950'S VIEW!!

Quote From: julie_rene

I have only just seen this show as I'm in Australia but felt strongly enough to post a message about it. The stories were very interesting and pointed out the total obsession with physicality that pervades both the US and Australia.

My comment is actually to the 'Mrs America' person who felt compelled to state that anyone who doesn't look after themselves is 'lazy'.

Well if having weekly manicures, pedicures, obsessively working out etc. etc. says you aren't lazy then there must be a damn lot of women out there who are lazy!!! First of all who has the money to self-obssess in that way??? Those sort of things cost a lot of money which obviously she is fortunate enough to have, but lots of people don't!! Perhaps she'd get some perspective if she spent even half that cash on some well deserving children in Africa who don't get food, let alone manicures.

She is the eptiome of selfishness in my opinion, I am overweight but still have pride in ME and by that I mean my mind, my soul, my family and somewhere in that my appearance which doesn't have to be perfect, just comfortable and neat. I spend my time running a home, family and business that provides myself and 5 others with employment, and you say I'm lazy because I don't care if I'm not a Barbie doll who is a size 8?? How dare you generalise in such a way, perhaps I just have different priorities but being a perfect looking person is WAY too unimportant to stand in the way of the many other things that fill my life.

I am still fuming that she was allowed to tell Christie (?) that men are interested in the 'visual' and try to influence her in that way, I could tell by Dr Phil's expression that he was as horrified as I was at her blatant taking over of the conversation to push her 1950's views.

Spare me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a teenager in the 50's and I can tell you there was much less importance put on people's appearance at that time than there is today.  It seemed that people accepted others with inadequacies or deficiencies.  

I am responding to this post more than a year after you wrote it, but I just tonight read it and wanted to set you straight on that one point. 

First | Prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | Next Page | Last Page