Message Boards

Topic : Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Number of Replies: 102
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:45:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a nanny? Is your child in daycare? Share advice and stories about your experiences with childcare.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 5, 2005, 1:05 pm CDT

daycare

My daughter is in daycare during the mornings, ever since she was 2.  I work full time and I do not have the time to give her all the attention she needs.  The daycare helps with that.  She has learned more than I would have been able to teach her as I do not have the qualifications that her daymother has. She is now 4 years old and way ahead of other children her age that does not go to daycare.  I have never been sorry about the decision I made.  I gave birth to my second daughter on July 6, 2005 and she will follow the same path as her sister.  Just make sure that you do your research properly and find a daycare centre that suits the needs of both you and your child.  Visit the centre during the day, unannounced and have a looka at what they do, how they treat the children and you will be able to see wether the children are happy or not in a single glance.  Don't dany your child a great experience because you are afraid to trust someone else with your child.

September 19, 2005, 5:15 am CDT

Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Quote From: spikelynn

My daughter is in daycare during the mornings, ever since she was 2.  I work full time and I do not have the time to give her all the attention she needs.  The daycare helps with that.  She has learned more than I would have been able to teach her as I do not have the qualifications that her daymother has. She is now 4 years old and way ahead of other children her age that does not go to daycare.  I have never been sorry about the decision I made.  I gave birth to my second daughter on July 6, 2005 and she will follow the same path as her sister.  Just make sure that you do your research properly and find a daycare centre that suits the needs of both you and your child.  Visit the centre during the day, unannounced and have a looka at what they do, how they treat the children and you will be able to see wether the children are happy or not in a single glance.  Don't dany your child a great experience because you are afraid to trust someone else with your child.

I just want to say that I am happy your child has had a good experience in daycare. Please realize though that you can't know for sure that being in daycare made your child smart, she is most likely that way by nature and would be with or without daycare. You don't need any special qualifications to teach a child that age. What qualifications do you think you need to give a small child love, and teach them about ABC's and 123's? I am confident that you could have given your child the same care she has gotten in daycare, so don't short change yourself that way. YOU are your childs mother and NO ONE can offer your child what you can. 

Personaly I never put my children in daycare because I wanted to be the one that was with my children when they were little. They are all school age now. I have 4 boys all of which are either on goal or advanced in school so daycare is not necessary to have smart children. My 8 yr old reads on a 5th grade level and can do 5th grade math.  

I am a nanny and have been for many families in the past and have also worked in daycare centers. I have no fear of them. I don't think most parents who stay home with their children do it because they are afraid of daycare, I think they do it because they want to be the person that is caring for their own child. I don't have nay problem with people using daycare for their children. I think it's a personal choice and whether it is a good thing or not depends on each individual situation. 

September 19, 2005, 2:02 pm CDT

Quote From: chattymom4

I just want to say that I am happy your child has had a good experience in daycare. Please realize though that you can't know for sure that being in daycare made your child smart, she is most likely that way by nature and would be with or without daycare. You don't need any special qualifications to teach a child that age. What qualifications do you think you need to give a small child love, and teach them about ABC's and 123's? I am confident that you could have given your child the same care she has gotten in daycare, so don't short change yourself that way. YOU are your childs mother and NO ONE can offer your child what you can. 

Personaly I never put my children in daycare because I wanted to be the one that was with my children when they were little. They are all school age now. I have 4 boys all of which are either on goal or advanced in school so daycare is not necessary to have smart children. My 8 yr old reads on a 5th grade level and can do 5th grade math.  

I am a nanny and have been for many families in the past and have also worked in daycare centers. I have no fear of them. I don't think most parents who stay home with their children do it because they are afraid of daycare, I think they do it because they want to be the person that is caring for their own child. I don't have nay problem with people using daycare for their children. I think it's a personal choice and whether it is a good thing or not depends on each individual situation. 

I agree that parents are just as good if not better then day care centers when it comes to raising and teaching children. I am sahm but just recently put my 4 year old in preschool just becasue she wanted to go to school like her friends, she is in a class of 14 kids where more then half the kids were in daycare last year and my daughter needs to be promoted into the 5 year old class because she is way ahead of the others. My point? Parents CAN teach their children all the skills that are needed so I agree, no parent needs to think they cannot do the job cause they can, it is a matter of attitude. Daycare may be a good filler and may benifit some kids but parents can do just as a good job as a daycare provider. No parent needs to compare themselves to daycare providers, I know for a fact that parents have the same qualities as a provider, the only difference might be a piece of paper...........................

October 9, 2005, 8:15 am CDT

stay at home mom

Quote From: spikelynn

I'm a stay at home mom and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My son is 15 months old and I have been home with him since day one.....  I would not have it any other way!!!!  He is a very smart child for his age and HAPPY!!!!!!! 

October 9, 2005, 8:29 pm CDT

Quote From: anglaw

I'm a stay at home mom and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My son is 15 months old and I have been home with him since day one.....  I would not have it any other way!!!!  He is a very smart child for his age and HAPPY!!!!!!! 

I am glad that you are happy in staying home with your child, I too am a stay at home mom and I would have it no other way, my girls are 2 and 4 and they are as happy as can be and smart too. I believe parents can be just as good of a care giver as any one if not better and I know that you will succeed because you have a good attitude. Now, my oldest is in preschool 7 hours a week and on accasions they will go to a baby sitter, but over all, I am their primary care giver and if it were not for me, they would not be where they are socially, academically, physically and all that, I think the success of a child has a lot to do with how they are raised, if they are around good positive role models and what their home lives are like, children live what they learn and I personally have decided that they can learn everything that they need in life to succeed right here in their home. I am so amazed at times on how quickly my children learn and how they respond to their environments and it is all good. Though my daughter is in preschool, I am still leaning towards homeschooling for various reasons, already my child is ahead of her class but thankfully she loves playing with other kids and she loves to do paperwork, LOL so she isn't going to be bored. I am definetly keeping an eye on her learning level to make sure that she is in the right environment and place for her schooling, I want her to succeeed as I believe she will (the same with my youngest) and I want to make sure that they are learning in their own pace and not forced to slow down or to speed up because of the majority of the class. Any way, keep up the great work and know that you are the best caregiver for your child, you know him better and you know your self. Parents are wonderful teachers but not all has the time or even the energy so really daycare isn't a bad thing, just not for my children and our life styles in my household. Now, I do know good parents from both sides of the issues and I know really bad parents from both sides, the mporant thing is to do what is best for the child and I must say that I am thankful that I chose the route that I chose, it is definetly the best and most rewarding choice/job that I have ever had, wouldn't trade it for anything.

October 11, 2005, 11:21 am CDT

daycare yes or no??

I am thinking about taking my 20 month old boy to daycare for 2 days a week, a few hours in the morning. He is very shy around other children and i am wondering if this will help! Does anyone have an opinion on this? Do you think he is to little to go to daycare? 

October 11, 2005, 6:20 pm CDT

Quote From: logans_mom

I am thinking about taking my 20 month old boy to daycare for 2 days a week, a few hours in the morning. He is very shy around other children and i am wondering if this will help! Does anyone have an opinion on this? Do you think he is to little to go to daycare? 
Obviously, society believes little ones that young are old enough for day care as most of them accept children starting at 6 weeks old. This is really something that you as a parent can decide on, you know your child better then any one and if this is the direction that you are looking at then you need to make sure you check out the centers around you and get as much info about them as possible, make sure there is an open door policy meaning that you can stop by anytime even unexpected and know the state regulations and teacher/child ratio. Some kids adjust well and others have a harder time with it. I don't know what your daily schedule looks like, whether you are a working mom or stay at home mom but there are places with play groups where you and your child can go together and it can be a good thing, I have experienced this as well as with story times at the library and getting involved in mom's groups and church groups, there are alot of options, it is just a matter of looking into them and figuring out what would work with your child and what you are comfortable in doing. My children have not gone to daycare and they have no problem socializing at all, my little one is a little shy at times but only at people that she does not know which is a good thing I think and she is more on the wuieter side just like her daddy, very social and energetic but a little shy at times, nothing wrong with shyness, I was shy as a child as well and got along just fine in school. Also, maybe you can have another child come to your home for a little bit to give him a play mate, These ae some options that could possibly work as well, just do what you feel is right for your child.

October 17, 2005, 2:51 pm CDT

I think daycares are great, but how do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop crying when I drop her off? I have taken her to 4 different babysitters in the past, but when I would drop her off she would look me in the eye and tell me "NO MOMMY, NO!!" She was obviously scared out of her mind at all 4 different places.  Then my parents took her and my son (1 yr old)  on vacation for 3 weeks. After they got back that's when I decided to put them in daycare. Now when I drop her off she just cries, but not as bad as before. But she still cries everyday and I don't want the other kids thinking she's a "cry baby". It's also really starting to get to me because I can't understand why she's doing this. I need some major advice.  

Also after I get home my son does not let me put him down. He screams until he makes himself sick or even blue in the face if I'm not holding him. He never did this before my parents took them on vacation. Any tips on getting him to relax before he throws himself into an anxiety attack? 

October 23, 2005, 6:15 pm CDT

a lil advice

Quote From: misskanell

I think daycares are great, but how do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop crying when I drop her off? I have taken her to 4 different babysitters in the past, but when I would drop her off she would look me in the eye and tell me "NO MOMMY, NO!!" She was obviously scared out of her mind at all 4 different places.  Then my parents took her and my son (1 yr old)  on vacation for 3 weeks. After they got back that's when I decided to put them in daycare. Now when I drop her off she just cries, but not as bad as before. But she still cries everyday and I don't want the other kids thinking she's a "cry baby". It's also really starting to get to me because I can't understand why she's doing this. I need some major advice.  

Also after I get home my son does not let me put him down. He screams until he makes himself sick or even blue in the face if I'm not holding him. He never did this before my parents took them on vacation. Any tips on getting him to relax before he throws himself into an anxiety attack? 

A lot of kids are like that. you just have to let them know its ok and let them feel comfortable.What i did was talk to them before i dropped them off at the babysitters.This is what i'd say. 

Mommy is going to go to work today,and so my friend ******* is going to watch you for a little bit,and ill come pick you up in a little bit.There are lots of friends there that are waiting to play with you.Do you wanna go??? 

and they usually say yes.But if they dont you just gotta talk them into it...Good luck,hope my advice works... 

Sheena (california) 

October 23, 2005, 6:18 pm CDT

daycare

Quote From: jettav

Obviously, society believes little ones that young are old enough for day care as most of them accept children starting at 6 weeks old. This is really something that you as a parent can decide on, you know your child better then any one and if this is the direction that you are looking at then you need to make sure you check out the centers around you and get as much info about them as possible, make sure there is an open door policy meaning that you can stop by anytime even unexpected and know the state regulations and teacher/child ratio. Some kids adjust well and others have a harder time with it. I don't know what your daily schedule looks like, whether you are a working mom or stay at home mom but there are places with play groups where you and your child can go together and it can be a good thing, I have experienced this as well as with story times at the library and getting involved in mom's groups and church groups, there are alot of options, it is just a matter of looking into them and figuring out what would work with your child and what you are comfortable in doing. My children have not gone to daycare and they have no problem socializing at all, my little one is a little shy at times but only at people that she does not know which is a good thing I think and she is more on the wuieter side just like her daddy, very social and energetic but a little shy at times, nothing wrong with shyness, I was shy as a child as well and got along just fine in school. Also, maybe you can have another child come to your home for a little bit to give him a play mate, These ae some options that could possibly work as well, just do what you feel is right for your child.

my 4 month old baby girl is going to daycare.Its actully really good to get them around people.Because around the age 2-5 they'll scream,because their not use to staying with people.So when their young and they dont have a saying when there a baby,is actully really good.But be very carful who you leave them with these days.You cant put all your trust in a stranger. 

sheena (california) 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last