Message Boards

Topic : Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Number of Replies: 102
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:45:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a nanny? Is your child in daycare? Share advice and stories about your experiences with childcare.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 13, 2007, 2:27 pm CST

Parent with same problem

Quote From: misskanell

I think daycares are great, but how do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop crying when I drop her off? I have taken her to 4 different babysitters in the past, but when I would drop her off she would look me in the eye and tell me "NO MOMMY, NO!!" She was obviously scared out of her mind at all 4 different places.  Then my parents took her and my son (1 yr old)  on vacation for 3 weeks. After they got back that's when I decided to put them in daycare. Now when I drop her off she just cries, but not as bad as before. But she still cries everyday and I don't want the other kids thinking she's a "cry baby". It's also really starting to get to me because I can't understand why she's doing this. I need some major advice.  

Also after I get home my son does not let me put him down. He screams until he makes himself sick or even blue in the face if I'm not holding him. He never did this before my parents took them on vacation. Any tips on getting him to relax before he throws himself into an anxiety attack? 

I wanted to ask someone for advice I don't know where to turn with my situation with my little girl.

I just recently started working and had to put her in daycare. She was 21/2 yrs. old now 2 months later she is still crying. I tried to talk to her. I tried to stay a little longer. I've tried just dropping her off and leaving and she still cries. There has only been 3 days that I could remember her just being okay. She has constantly been sick since she's been there. 1st a cold, ear infection, diarreaha, vomiting, now she has a constant cough hacking cough with stuffed up nose. Before daycare she was very rarely sick. I've considered putting her in another daycare,but not sure as if I do will that create more of a problem all over again or should I just toughen it our with this daycare. The teachers try to reassure me she'll get over it but I don't see any progress.

Signed confused parent

February 12, 2008, 11:43 am CST

Dear Confused Parent

Quote From: ninapi

I wanted to ask someone for advice I don't know where to turn with my situation with my little girl.

I just recently started working and had to put her in daycare. She was 21/2 yrs. old now 2 months later she is still crying. I tried to talk to her. I tried to stay a little longer. I've tried just dropping her off and leaving and she still cries. There has only been 3 days that I could remember her just being okay. She has constantly been sick since she's been there. 1st a cold, ear infection, diarreaha, vomiting, now she has a constant cough hacking cough with stuffed up nose. Before daycare she was very rarely sick. I've considered putting her in another daycare,but not sure as if I do will that create more of a problem all over again or should I just toughen it our with this daycare. The teachers try to reassure me she'll get over it but I don't see any progress.

Signed confused parent

I'm not a mother myself. I'm 21 and I have 5 younger brothers and sisters. Being the oldest in the sibling range I had the honor of taking the kids to school and daycare and picking them back up again. My one younger sister had a big problem going to daycare and living in the country we couldn't change daycares. She had the same problems as your little girl and below are some things i've tried and they've really worked.

- i've also tried (and sticking to it for about two weeks) just droping her off, handing her over to a day care worker and toughing up and walking out(yes i would then sit in the car and cry as well knowing that she was crying, but it had to be done). This attempt lasted the two weeks, but only improved a little bit.

- you could also try bringing her into the daycare and asking if you spend the day there with her once or twice...she might think that by you leaving her, she's being abandoned. And that would be where the whole nature vs nuture / flight vs fight scenarios might come into play...she doesn't know how to react to the situation, which is causing much of the illnesses.

- playing with her at the daycare for about 20mins, get her involved in something that will take her mind off the fact that you're going to leave in a few mins. When she gets really into something, slowly give some distance, and eventually (while she's occupied with other kids/daycare workers) slip out. Then when you pick her up at the end of the day, ask the daycare workers how she was...usually if they understand the situation they'll keep her preoccupied enough to forget that you even left. This seemed to really work...and to this day, i drop her off, play with her a little bit, she'll get really into something and i'll sneak out...it's hard not saying goodbye with a hug and kiss as you leave, but after you get used to it(and she will too). And even call throughout the day and see how she's doing. I'll bet you'll notice a BIG difference plus she'll get used to it as part of a routine that she has to do every time she goes there.

P.S

It may seem hard at first but the key to my second option would be to think of an activity that she can do at daycare that keeps her ***really*** preoccupied so she wouldn't notice if you stood up and walked away.

February 12, 2008, 11:45 am CST

Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Quote From: ninapi

Signed confused parent

I just wrote a reply to  ninapi about the same problem you're having, take a read, i think it will help :)

March 11, 2008, 11:47 am CDT

be careful with your babies

I do not trust baby sitters or daycares due to stories and reports that i have looked up and heard of. its horrible what i hear people doing to others peoples children and how defensless the kids are because they are so small. it is very easy for someone to take control of children and im not saying all of them are bad but i feel better as a parent knowing my child is safe with me, her own mother instead of someone else

May 6, 2008, 9:42 pm CDT

Question About Upcoming Show

I apologize ahead of time if I'm not doing this correctly, or if I post this in the wrong area - I am new.  :0)

Is there an upcoming show on nannies and or babysitters who engage in illegal activities whilst on the job?  Thank You in advance for any information concerning this, or for directing me to the correct board.

May 26, 2008, 4:59 pm CDT

No more daycare my adhd son is 12 & I have no family

My son  turned twelve in March.  He has been on strattera 21 mg for it for a couple years now.  The problem I have is that this is the last summer he is allowed to have paid daycare around here.  I have to work a full-time job and so does my husband.  We have no family locally and my son is too young mentally and emotionally to stay home by himself.  He needs guidance to keep him on track when he's doing his homework, but I'm really concerned that he may be influenced negatively and let people into our house that I don't approve of, mind you I have no proof of this but the type of personality he has leads me to believe that this is a possibility.

He's going into 7th grade, jr high, in September and they let out at 1:45, the earliest my husband or I can leave work is 5 pm.  My daughter gets out of elementary school at 3pm but there is an afterschool program she attends.  There is a problem with jr high kids that don't have friends to hang with or family to watch over them and their parents have to work.  I don't want him to get lost in the shuffle because there is no one I can pay to take care of him, I want to be home with him.

If it is necessary I may be able to work a part-time job but I would need to do so from home.  I don't have the kind of entreperuerial mind that would enable me to start my own business but with all of the latest technology there has to be a way that I don't have to be a telemarketer but could use some of my education to work at home part-time doing something meaningful, using my BA in English, but would allow me the flexibility to be with my son and still contribute to the household finances. 

With the economy the way it is it scares me to say that I would go part-time but I know if it was a decent paying part-time job I know we could do it, my family always comes first.

I don't want to sacrifice my kids for the comforts of money but I don't know how to get that job or where to start looking for one.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

June 13, 2008, 12:49 pm CDT

IM A stay at home mom and a babysitter

I have a few questions! I stay at home with my three kids and I watch my sisters 3 kiids! Im worried about her 3 year old, hes very distantced and quiet! When hes at home he beats up his 1 year old sister! Besides the fact that hes over weight , he doesnt talk much and hes horrible around his mom! Is this normal? I dont have this problem with my kids who are the same age as her kids!

October 8, 2008, 12:10 pm CDT

daycare provider

I am a daycare provider, have been for going on 7 years now...the reason for my becoming a daycare provider is that I know many many other providers and after being over to their homes during the day while they work as a provider there is no way I was willing to let my children go to their homes...It is amazing what you dont know...if your child tells you something happened at daycare, listen to them!!! It is unbelievable how many ppl are providers that dont even like children...so when a child comes into my home I always treat them with the upmost respect and try to make each day their best...

October 22, 2008, 11:45 pm CDT

Quote From: misskanell

I think daycares are great, but how do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop crying when I drop her off? I have taken her to 4 different babysitters in the past, but when I would drop her off she would look me in the eye and tell me "NO MOMMY, NO!!" She was obviously scared out of her mind at all 4 different places.  Then my parents took her and my son (1 yr old)  on vacation for 3 weeks. After they got back that's when I decided to put them in daycare. Now when I drop her off she just cries, but not as bad as before. But she still cries everyday and I don't want the other kids thinking she's a "cry baby". It's also really starting to get to me because I can't understand why she's doing this. I need some major advice.  

Also after I get home my son does not let me put him down. He screams until he makes himself sick or even blue in the face if I'm not holding him. He never did this before my parents took them on vacation. Any tips on getting him to relax before he throws himself into an anxiety attack? 

She hates daycare and prefers her mommy.  Stop dropping her off and spend time with her.  She'll be fine with you.  Before you know it she'll be in school and all those precious/trying/frustrating moments at home will be over.

Your children sound like they're attached to you which is a GOOD thing.  Young children should be attached to their mothers, it's where they feel safe.  Your son is having anxiety because he doesn't feel comfortable with strangers and wants his mommy.

You must be a caring/loving mother .... no one can substitute for that. 

Screw the other kids if they think she's a crybaby .... she's practically still a baby.  Just because they're used to daycare doesn't mean your daughter needs to be used to it.  Let her be individual and let her be little still.

October 22, 2008, 11:52 pm CDT

Quote From: hope_full

My son  turned twelve in March.  He has been on strattera 21 mg for it for a couple years now.  The problem I have is that this is the last summer he is allowed to have paid daycare around here.  I have to work a full-time job and so does my husband.  We have no family locally and my son is too young mentally and emotionally to stay home by himself.  He needs guidance to keep him on track when he's doing his homework, but I'm really concerned that he may be influenced negatively and let people into our house that I don't approve of, mind you I have no proof of this but the type of personality he has leads me to believe that this is a possibility.

He's going into 7th grade, jr high, in September and they let out at 1:45, the earliest my husband or I can leave work is 5 pm.  My daughter gets out of elementary school at 3pm but there is an afterschool program she attends.  There is a problem with jr high kids that don't have friends to hang with or family to watch over them and their parents have to work.  I don't want him to get lost in the shuffle because there is no one I can pay to take care of him, I want to be home with him.

If it is necessary I may be able to work a part-time job but I would need to do so from home.  I don't have the kind of entreperuerial mind that would enable me to start my own business but with all of the latest technology there has to be a way that I don't have to be a telemarketer but could use some of my education to work at home part-time doing something meaningful, using my BA in English, but would allow me the flexibility to be with my son and still contribute to the household finances. 

With the economy the way it is it scares me to say that I would go part-time but I know if it was a decent paying part-time job I know we could do it, my family always comes first.

I don't want to sacrifice my kids for the comforts of money but I don't know how to get that job or where to start looking for one.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

I work part-time, 12-15 hours a week, when my kids are in school.  I make about $1000-$1400 per month.

I merchandise and make my own hours.  I can go anytime, even at night.  I report my work on-line, get my assignments online and get paid electronically.  It's a great gig for a mom.  When my kids are sick, I can still stay home with them and go in at night.

I got the job through NARMS.COM. 

Your most meaningful work IS caring for your kids and family .... a paycheck is just a paycheck, a family is everything.

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last