Message Boards

Topic : Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Number of Replies: 102
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:45:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a nanny? Is your child in daycare? Share advice and stories about your experiences with childcare.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 13, 2006, 8:18 am CDT

For the daycare providers here

I am wanting to start a daycare for just a few children in my home was wondering if you could help me figure out what I need to do to get started.  Is there certain classes to take or paperwork you have to have for parents to fill out and where do you find this stuff..  I know when we had our daughter in daycare there was alot of paperwork to fill out for the provider on health questions and stuff like that but I am not sure where to find any of this information and want to start this daycare on the right track I have a few people interested already but need to know what I need to get started.  Thank you for any advise you can give. 

Angie 

June 13, 2006, 10:14 am CDT

Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Quote From: youngmom22

I am wanting to start a daycare for just a few children in my home was wondering if you could help me figure out what I need to do to get started.  Is there certain classes to take or paperwork you have to have for parents to fill out and where do you find this stuff..  I know when we had our daughter in daycare there was alot of paperwork to fill out for the provider on health questions and stuff like that but I am not sure where to find any of this information and want to start this daycare on the right track I have a few people interested already but need to know what I need to get started.  Thank you for any advise you can give. 

Angie 

check out the jobs and family services in your area and check on your state guidelines as every state is different. You may also be able to get the info from a daycare center as theyw ould have all this in file..............in Ohio, you do not have to be liscenced if you have a certain amount of kids, somewhere around 5, not sure on the exact number but if you have more then a certain amount of kids then you have to be liscenced, and your local jobs and services organization should have that info.

July 28, 2006, 12:11 am CDT

Almost three years ago, my son was abused at his daycare.  He came home one day with bruises all up and down his arm and finger marks on his wrist.  I asked him what happened and he told me that  "Ms. (name removed) did it to me because I said the word ass."  He has never deviated from that story.  When I confronted the director about what had happened she called Ms. (name removed) into the room and asked her what was going on.  Ms. (name removed) told me that my son, four years old at the time was racist and only saying she did it because she's black.  She also said that he bruises easy because he is so pale, and that she had nothing to do with it.  I filed a police report but the police were absolutely no help.  As a matter of fact, the detective said he probably pinched his own arm and that there was no proof that she did it, and the case was dismissed.  She refused to take a lie detector test and is still working at the daycare.  One teacher quit because she said she "could not in good faith work at a daycare that condones that sort of behavior." 

It took an entire year of counceling to get my son to the point where he could even be in the same room with a teacher without someone else present.  This past school year was the first time he's been able to attend regular school.  The psycologist he was seeing once a week said that he was not even strong enough to bruise himself, that his motor skills were not attuned enough to do so, and that with no history of self injury he had no doubt that Ms. (name removed) did in fact hurt my son. 

Also, about a week after the case was dismissed I received a bill from the state for 300 dollars for my son's five minute chat with a forensic psycologist.  They still send that bill to me, and each time I receive it I tear it up and put it in the garbage.  I don't know if there was more I could have done, but it seemed like everyone was against me.  They probably think I did it, but I have never, EVER done anything to hurt my son. 

Please, please, please...if you are going to place your child in a daycare PLEASE make sure there are cameras set up in every room so that you will not be in the same "no evidence" predicament that I was in should something (God forbid) like this happen to your child.  Ask many questions of the care givers.  Make them aware that you are very involved.  The justice system is set up so that mentally disabled people, children, and the ederly can be abused in an almost consequence free environment as long as the person doing the abuse is savvy enough to do it where nobody can see them.  Nobody was going to take the word of a four year old over this teacher. 

Be very careful. 

July 28, 2006, 3:18 pm CDT

Quote From: ellenb1977

Almost three years ago, my son was abused at his daycare.  He came home one day with bruises all up and down his arm and finger marks on his wrist.  I asked him what happened and he told me that  "Ms. (name removed) did it to me because I said the word ass."  He has never deviated from that story.  When I confronted the director about what had happened she called Ms. (name removed) into the room and asked her what was going on.  Ms. (name removed) told me that my son, four years old at the time was racist and only saying she did it because she's black.  She also said that he bruises easy because he is so pale, and that she had nothing to do with it.  I filed a police report but the police were absolutely no help.  As a matter of fact, the detective said he probably pinched his own arm and that there was no proof that she did it, and the case was dismissed.  She refused to take a lie detector test and is still working at the daycare.  One teacher quit because she said she "could not in good faith work at a daycare that condones that sort of behavior." 

It took an entire year of counceling to get my son to the point where he could even be in the same room with a teacher without someone else present.  This past school year was the first time he's been able to attend regular school.  The psycologist he was seeing once a week said that he was not even strong enough to bruise himself, that his motor skills were not attuned enough to do so, and that with no history of self injury he had no doubt that Ms. (name removed) did in fact hurt my son. 

Also, about a week after the case was dismissed I received a bill from the state for 300 dollars for my son's five minute chat with a forensic psycologist.  They still send that bill to me, and each time I receive it I tear it up and put it in the garbage.  I don't know if there was more I could have done, but it seemed like everyone was against me.  They probably think I did it, but I have never, EVER done anything to hurt my son. 

Please, please, please...if you are going to place your child in a daycare PLEASE make sure there are cameras set up in every room so that you will not be in the same "no evidence" predicament that I was in should something (God forbid) like this happen to your child.  Ask many questions of the care givers.  Make them aware that you are very involved.  The justice system is set up so that mentally disabled people, children, and the ederly can be abused in an almost consequence free environment as long as the person doing the abuse is savvy enough to do it where nobody can see them.  Nobody was going to take the word of a four year old over this teacher. 

Be very careful. 

I sure hope this abuse was reported to jobs and family services (who ever it is that make the state rules andout daycares) they are required to visit a day care when there is a complainta nd they would have it on file....People like that have no business working with kids and I would certainly be one to make sure that word was out to anyone I knew considering that daycare aout this employee.

July 28, 2006, 3:20 pm CDT

I would also advise all parents

Quote From: jettav

I sure hope this abuse was reported to jobs and family services (who ever it is that make the state rules andout daycares) they are required to visit a day care when there is a complainta nd they would have it on file....People like that have no business working with kids and I would certainly be one to make sure that word was out to anyone I knew considering that daycare aout this employee.
to drop by the day care thatyou put your child in on occasions, if a daycare does not welcome unexpected visitation frot heparents then the day care isn't worth your time and day.

July 30, 2006, 10:56 am CDT

to drop by the day care thatyou put your child in on occasions, if a daycare does not welcome unexpected visitation frot heparents then the day care isn't worth your time and day.

I reported it to everyone that it could have been reported to.  I'm sure they went to the daycare, looked around, were lied to by the same people there that lied to the police, and left satasfied that nothing in fact happened.  Everyone was working against us because there was simply no proof, other than my four year old's word and the bruises all over his arm.  The police even wrote on the report that they believe my son did it to himself.  It's just sickening. 

About a month after this occured, a teacher at another daycare run by the same people was arrested for pumping soap from a dispenser into the mouth of a three year old child.  The reason she was arrested and the teacher that hurt my son was not?  Because another child saw her do it and told the police.   

I'm telling you...as long as nobody witnesses the abuse, you're almost always going to be out of luck. 

August 5, 2006, 9:18 pm CDT

"Smart kids" from daycare

No, I don't think daycare is NEEDED for a child to be smart...I think whether or not they are is innate.  Meaning, they are born with an ability to learn quickly.  However, daycare can be positive in a lot of ways.  I think a trained worker can see things (good and bad) in kids that parents cannot/don't want to see.  For example, I read an article with four DOCTORS whose children had classic symptoms of four different diseases and they did not see it.  Why?  They were too close.   My 3 year old needed glasses as well as my oldest.  I never would have known if they had not done testing-with a trained doctor.  Yes, both my boys have been in daycare since 6 and 8 weeks of age.  No, I do not think it was necessary for them to be smart, social and friendly but it sure helped.  It also allowed me to work so I could feed and clothe them.  That's important to me and most working parents- provision. Staying home can be good if the Mom is happy and money is not a concern.  To be honest, there are some Moms who should go to work because they do nothing at home. Just as there are Moms who could work less.  My kids are far beyond most in many ways- manners, socially, academically.  Is this because of daycare?  Who really knows...just as daycare doesn't make a kid smart how does staying home do that?  I wonder about that.  All these at home Moms claiming daycare didn't do this or that...how can they be sure staying home did?  There are studies that support both sides of the issue.  All I know is I have great kids and for that I'm grateful. 

August 7, 2006, 8:40 am CDT

Family babysitting

MY HUSBAND AND I JUST HAD A BABY 5 WKS. AGO. MY HUSBAND DOES NOT LIKE MY SISTERS FOR SMALL PETTY REASONS. HE SAID OUR DAUTHGER CAN ONLY GO TO MY SISTER HOUSE IF I'M WITH HER. HE SAID SHE CAN ONLY BABYSIT AT OUR HOME BECAUSE SHE TALKS LOUD, SCREAM AT HER SON, AND IS WORRIED TOO MANY PEOPLE WILL BE HANDLING THE BABY. HE SAID THAT AS A CHILD GROWING UP HE WAS EFFECTED BY HIS MOTHER YELLING AND SCREAMING AT HIM,BUT I TOLD HIM FOR 1. OUR DAUGHTER IS A BABY AND MY SISTER WOULD NOT BE SCREAMING AT HER(SHE WOULD BE SCREAMING AT HER SON) AND 2. JUST BECAUSE HE WAS EFFECTED BY HIS MOTHER DOES NOT MEAN OUR DAUGHTER WILL BE EFFECTED BY IT(I WASN'T GROWING UP). NOT ONLY THAT HE REALLY DIDN'T WANT HIS OWN MOTHER BABYSITTING BECAUSE HE DOES NOT TRUST ANYONE AND NOT FAMILY-ORIENTED. HE IS NOT CLOSE TO HIS FAMILY AND HE ONLY WANT MY FRIENDS TO BABYSIT,NOT FAMILY. MY SISTER LOVES CHILDREN AND HER DAUGHTER WORKS AT A DAYCARE CENTER,BUT DOES NOT WANT THEM TO BABYSIT. IT'S NOT RGHT THAT MY DAUGHTER DOES NOT SPEND ANY TIME WITH HER AUNTS, WHAT ADVICE CAN BE GIVEN?

August 7, 2006, 10:19 am CDT

Quote From: angielove

MY HUSBAND AND I JUST HAD A BABY 5 WKS. AGO. MY HUSBAND DOES NOT LIKE MY SISTERS FOR SMALL PETTY REASONS. HE SAID OUR DAUTHGER CAN ONLY GO TO MY SISTER HOUSE IF I'M WITH HER. HE SAID SHE CAN ONLY BABYSIT AT OUR HOME BECAUSE SHE TALKS LOUD, SCREAM AT HER SON, AND IS WORRIED TOO MANY PEOPLE WILL BE HANDLING THE BABY. HE SAID THAT AS A CHILD GROWING UP HE WAS EFFECTED BY HIS MOTHER YELLING AND SCREAMING AT HIM,BUT I TOLD HIM FOR 1. OUR DAUGHTER IS A BABY AND MY SISTER WOULD NOT BE SCREAMING AT HER(SHE WOULD BE SCREAMING AT HER SON) AND 2. JUST BECAUSE HE WAS EFFECTED BY HIS MOTHER DOES NOT MEAN OUR DAUGHTER WILL BE EFFECTED BY IT(I WASN'T GROWING UP). NOT ONLY THAT HE REALLY DIDN'T WANT HIS OWN MOTHER BABYSITTING BECAUSE HE DOES NOT TRUST ANYONE AND NOT FAMILY-ORIENTED. HE IS NOT CLOSE TO HIS FAMILY AND HE ONLY WANT MY FRIENDS TO BABYSIT,NOT FAMILY. MY SISTER LOVES CHILDREN AND HER DAUGHTER WORKS AT A DAYCARE CENTER,BUT DOES NOT WANT THEM TO BABYSIT. IT'S NOT RGHT THAT MY DAUGHTER DOES NOT SPEND ANY TIME WITH HER AUNTS, WHAT ADVICE CAN BE GIVEN?

I personally would not allow my childrren to go somewhere   where the parents yell at their kids alot, it can affect the child not being yelled at as well. I am a stay at home mom but will be babysitting here soon for friends. I do believe both parents need to agree and come up with a plan that both can agree with. I have family members who I would never leave my kids with, they go to friends house on  occasions when hubby and I go out.  I think the two of you need to communicte and be honest with each other, respect one another and come up with a plan that will work, after all this is both of yours child and she deserves the best care that she can possibly get. Only you and he know the situation therefore the two of you ar ethe best judge but you have to work together. I personally want my kids to have the best of the best when it comes to their care as I am sure the two of you do as well....................

August 7, 2006, 12:31 pm CDT

I personally would not allow my childrren to go somewhere   where the parents yell at their kids alot, it can affect the child not being yelled at as well. I am a stay at home mom but will be babysitting here soon for friends. I do believe both parents need to agree and come up with a plan that both can agree with. I have family members who I would never leave my kids with, they go to friends house on  occasions when hubby and I go out.  I think the two of you need to communicte and be honest with each other, respect one another and come up with a plan that will work, after all this is both of yours child and she deserves the best care that she can possibly get. Only you and he know the situation therefore the two of you ar ethe best judge but you have to work together. I personally want my kids to have the best of the best when it comes to their care as I am sure the two of you do as well....................

I TRULY UNDERSTAND THAT, I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO TELL MY SISTER SHE CAN BABYSIT ONLY AT MY HOUSE BECAUSE OF NOISE AND YELLING WITHOUT HER TAKING IT THE WRONG WAY AND GETTING OFFENDED.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last