Message Boards

Topic : Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Number of Replies: 102
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:45:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a nanny? Is your child in daycare? Share advice and stories about your experiences with childcare.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 25, 2007, 1:40 pm CDT

I would love to do this

Quote From: meviperchic

Husband and I decided 24yrs ago when I was pregnant with 2nd child that I should stay home and be with the kids...I would not do anything different..But it is not for every body....Financially it is hard you do have to give some things up...So what I did was started babysitting for friends and family....The income did not make me rich but it helped alot.....I did not charge alot of money because these were people that did not make alot but wanted somebody they could trust with their babies...It also helped my kids to learn socialization and we had a lot of fun......I did it for 20 yrs..and now I just watch my 3 grandkids.....all the kids that I have watched over the yrs will still come to see me...and they want me to watch their kids but I tell them that I have retired from that...There wasn't to many days that I had less than 10 kids...But not once did any child get hurt or anything else in my care....I treated them all like they were mine even had chores for them and never had a problem..Took them swimming to the zoo roller skating we had all kinds of activities and crafts...I could take 10 or more grocery shopping with me and never have a problem and that was all ages newborn to sometimes 11yrs old..The parents would just could not figure out how I could do it,, because they would take their on or two children to the store with them and the kids would act up but with me they would act fine....But it was not a job to me it was a passion that I just loved....I have 1 little girl that I started watching when she was 6wks old she is now 11 and can stay home by herself but if she does not have school then she will call me and ask if she can come over even if I do not have my grandkids......I did find out over the yrs that alot of people don't have alot of respect for stay at home babysitters..But I got all the respect I could handle out of all the little people that came into my life..and My husband and my own kids always  respected me and are very proud of me and that is all that counts.....I think everybody should do what is best for them and their family....It is hard for moms but what ever you do and you do it the best you can then you should be proud of what ever decision you make and do not let anybody make you feel bad about your decision to stay home or go to work...
I love the fact that you were able to stay home with your children as well as take care of other peoples children to make the extra income. After we have the next child this is what I would like to be able to do to help us out as well as our friends. I love children and all my friends would love that they have someone they can trust to watch their children for a lot less than daycare.

July 23, 2007, 9:42 pm CDT

I'm a young Grandma of 2.....need help

Hi, I feel terrible. My Grandaughter (only 4 year old) has been having a hard time emotionally latley. She has a brother that is 6 month. He's very cute and gets lots and lots of attention. I witness the real hurt my Grandaughter feels when he gets attention latley. She's starting to get angrey and hurt and can't communicate what she feels fully. My heart is going out to her. Of course I want to make it better and do realize she has to go thru some of the process of siblings. I guess my question really is, what can I do to help her with her feelings with this? I feel it is more than just sibling stuff. She activly shows love to her brother, that's not the problem. She's quiet about how she feels, but is starting to act out. Any suggestions on how I can help out?

July 23, 2007, 9:46 pm CDT

Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Quote From: jspitball

Hi, I feel terrible. My Grandaughter (only 4 year old) has been having a hard time emotionally latley. She has a brother that is 6 month. He's very cute and gets lots and lots of attention. I witness the real hurt my Grandaughter feels when he gets attention latley. She's starting to get angrey and hurt and can't communicate what she feels fully. My heart is going out to her. Of course I want to make it better and do realize she has to go thru some of the process of siblings. I guess my question really is, what can I do to help her with her feelings with this? I feel it is more than just sibling stuff. She activly shows love to her brother, that's not the problem. She's quiet about how she feels, but is starting to act out. Any suggestions on how I can help out?
I forgot to mention, I baby sit one a week for both of them. :)

August 5, 2007, 2:38 pm CDT

Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Quote From: jspitball

i think she just feels left out. if her brother is so cute he will get a lot of attention, and if she's quiet about how she feels, maybe her feelings just weren't recognised. so she felt like that for a while, but because she was a sweet girl, she kept it quiet, and it wasn't noticed. of course she has to learn to share the attention, but since she still likes and loves him that doesn't seem to be the problem. i'd say talk to her parents, and make sure that they know how she feels, and adress it, like spending time with her alone, and spending time with the baby AND with her, so she isn't left out every time, or most of the time. this of course applies to you to when you babysit them. i have a suggestion to what you can do with her. you could start reading with her, or learning letters, depending on what she has learned already in school. i have a six year old step daughter, and she just loves to sit down with me and read a book, because she likes to read, but also because she likes the attention, because at that moment when we're reading, she get's all my attention. so something like that could be nice, or start with math, like adding up. she likes that too. try some things that are new to her, that she will get a lot of attention with, that is really hers, and maybe she can start reading to the baby too, that might help her.

good luck,

annemiek

August 9, 2007, 1:50 pm CDT

Daycares

Quote From: misskanell

I think daycares are great, but how do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop crying when I drop her off? I have taken her to 4 different babysitters in the past, but when I would drop her off she would look me in the eye and tell me "NO MOMMY, NO!!" She was obviously scared out of her mind at all 4 different places.  Then my parents took her and my son (1 yr old)  on vacation for 3 weeks. After they got back that's when I decided to put them in daycare. Now when I drop her off she just cries, but not as bad as before. But she still cries everyday and I don't want the other kids thinking she's a "cry baby". It's also really starting to get to me because I can't understand why she's doing this. I need some major advice.  

Also after I get home my son does not let me put him down. He screams until he makes himself sick or even blue in the face if I'm not holding him. He never did this before my parents took them on vacation. Any tips on getting him to relax before he throws himself into an anxiety attack? 

I have been in the childcare business for over 20 years and an owner of a preschool/childcare center for the past 6 years.  If your child has never been in childcare it is going to take her time to adjust not being with you and crying is all part of it.  The center you take her to should make you feel comfortable that her needs are going to be met.  In time she will adjust and the crying will stop.  It is sometimes harder for the parents to adjust.  Parents should make sure that their child knows they are leaveing and that they are coming back.  Once the routine is in place your child should be able to settle down and move on with their day.  It is the consistancy of the parent that makes the routine easier.  I know seeing your child cry is hard, but if you want to make your child independant then consistancy is what it takes.  Usually, from experience, your child only does this for the parent and after the parent is out of site the crying stops.  If you have found the right childcare center they will be able to deal with the crying until the child is used to the surroundings and feels comfortable.   I hope this information has helped you in some small way.  Good Luck! Shelly

September 13, 2007, 10:05 pm CDT

I am a nanny and....

I have been nannying and babysitting since I was 15 I am 20 years old now. I just got a job offer and it was a mom who wanted 45-70 hours of care for $160 a week, and it made me really think, I am trying to have a baby right now and because of infertility its been hard but what makes me really think is how can a mother be away from there child all day and all night pretty much? 45-60 hours thats like insane I know if I ever have a baby that I would never not want to be with my child I didnt care if i had to live in a shelter....$160 a week too.. I am use to being paid 15 an hour but for some reason I want to take the job for the child... I dont know what to do what would you do????????

thanks for reading...

October 1, 2007, 3:04 pm CDT

Daycare

I'm like b_barynard, I have trust issues I cant relax if anyone is watching my child other then me or my husband. My mind will always go to did I tell her to do this or did I tell them to not do that. I think I would die if I had to put my son in daycare, or even a babysitter. He loves people and only crys when being held by loud men, like my father, he gets very scared. My son has even cried being held by his own father if my husband is too loud. He likes looking and watching everyone. He use to be around alot of children right after he was born, all my friends at that time had little ones so it was nice to be able to bring him into that group and know he was safe (none of the children went to daycare, and there was usually only 1 flu a year, that would go through the kids of our group) I havent been able to be around them for a few months cause I moved. I don't allow strangers or children I don't know to touch my son, I don't even allow my sisters kids around him cause they are always sick and have gotten him sick twice this year he is only 8 months old too. He is going through the phase of not wanting mommy or daddy leaving him. I know people will think i'm raising a child that is going to be needy, but I think babies are needy and its okay to give into that need. Daycare is great for when both parents work, or they have alot of young childre, really everyone needs a break. But I don't see why some people put there babies in daycare and then stay home (I have seen it) I think its selfish. Either work or keep your 1 child at home. If you have like 4 kids all a year apart. I can totally see doing daycare for like whatever hours a day, thats a handful and your are doing a pretty good job just being sane and still raising 4 little ones lol. But good luck to everyone all our choices are hard and there are people that will not agree with any of them, but we are the ones that have to live with them not the other people.

October 10, 2007, 3:24 pm CDT

manipulating kids

My boy fried and  have been together 3 years. He has custody of 8yr. boy and 10yr. girl. We cant have any one sit them in the house not even me. I think they do rotten things because they don't want there dad to leave them. But if they go to the neighbors or friends, and spend the night , they are great kids. What should we do. We talk to them. Ground them. Nothing works.

October 29, 2007, 3:28 pm CDT

Preschool delima

I am a preschool teacher at a local daycare.  I have a class of 3 year olds. Every day when the children are picked up the parents will talk with me for a few minutes.  Today one of the fathers expressed his concern about his son's behavior to me.  When at home, the son behaves well.  The parents are divorced and he lives primarily with his dad.  Any time the boy goes to stay with his mom he "runs over her" the dad explained.  I too have experienced this.  It appears the the boy refuses to listen to females.  He has a 5 year old sister but they get along well.  His dad is concerned that he may bully girls and he doesn't want that.  We also are trying to potty train him.  The dad says that when he is home he does well but when he goes to his mom's he refuses to use the potty.  He also wont use the potty at school.  The few times he has I would make a big deal about it and tell him how good he did. I have tried bribing him with stickers and candy and nothing works.  He will lay on the floor and kick and scream and cry before he will get on the potty. I really could use some help here!!

November 10, 2007, 4:46 am CST

Changing Daycares

My husband and I recently changed  our 2 year olds daycare.  We loved the previous one but it was very

inconvienient to get to.  It has been a week and she is completely stressed out by this.  Although she seems to like her new providers she cries daily and even when we get home she continuously tells us she does not want to go there and that she would like to go back to the other place. We can handle that part but now it seems to even be effecting her sleep.  She is waking in the night, crying, and saying that she doesn't want to go there again. Our biggest fear is that we have made the wrong decision. Should we hang in there or bail?

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last