Message Boards

Topic : Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Number of Replies: 102
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:45:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a nanny? Is your child in daycare? Share advice and stories about your experiences with childcare.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 30, 2006, 3:12 pm CST

Babysitting age??

Well here is my dilemma and I would appreciate some opinions please!! 

My wife and I just separated after 14 years of marriage, I gave her custody of our 2 boys, ages 11 and 5. Well, last night I called them to say goodnight and to talk to their mom, and my 11 year old said she went off to Bingo with her mom and aunt, leaving my boys to be babysat by my wife's nieces, who are only 13 and 12! This sort of got me upset because though they are good kids, mostly, together they get rambunscious and I feel they at that age are too young to be babysitting an 11 yera old AND a 5 year old!! Not sure how they would respond in an emeggency, and where they reside, there is a lack of vechiles to help, and child molesters just around the block a bit. So what if the molester saw the adults leave the house? Am I wrong, or does anybody else think they are too young to be watching two boys at their ages? Please let me know, as it would be appreciated!!! 

Joe C. 

January 30, 2006, 3:12 pm CST

Babysitting age??

My wife and I just separated after 14 years of marriage, I gave her custody of our 2 boys, ages 11 and 5. Well, last night I called them to say goodnight and to talk to their mom, and my 11 year old said she went off to Bingo with her mom and aunt, leaving my boys to be babysat by my wife's nieces, who are only 13 and 12! This sort of got me upset because though they are good kids, mostly, together they get rambunscious and I feel they at that age are too young to be babysitting an 11 yera old AND a 5 year old!! Not sure how they would respond in an emeggency, and where they reside, there is a lack of vechiles to help, and child molesters just around the block a bit. So what if the molester saw the adults leave the house? Am I wrong, or does anybody else think they are too young to be watching two boys at their ages? Please let me know, as it would be appreciated!!! 

Joe C. 

January 30, 2006, 6:14 pm CST

Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Quote From: smokinjoec

Joe C. 

I think you need to approach the children's mother in a nice and caring way and let her know of your concerns. Tell her that you would like to see the credentials of these kids who are babysitting, such as can they perform cpr if needed, do they have contact numbers and My concern would be that if something did happen, then the mother could possibly get in trouble for leaving 4 minors in the home alone, especially so young. Do you live close enough where you could possibly babysit if needed? that could give you more time with your kids. or maybe try helping with a solution to get some one else in there or maybe there is some one that could watch them in their home? Whatever the case, you as their father have a right to be concerned for your kids and if you are willling tohelpw ith a solution then maybe ahe won't get offended or upset. have the goal to help in this area and not to get bent out of shape or anything, be kind when approaching her, I would hope that she would appreciate your concern and be willing to work with you here.

January 31, 2006, 7:22 am CST

Quote From: jettav

I think you need to approach the children's mother in a nice and caring way and let her know of your concerns. Tell her that you would like to see the credentials of these kids who are babysitting, such as can they perform cpr if needed, do they have contact numbers and My concern would be that if something did happen, then the mother could possibly get in trouble for leaving 4 minors in the home alone, especially so young. Do you live close enough where you could possibly babysit if needed? that could give you more time with your kids. or maybe try helping with a solution to get some one else in there or maybe there is some one that could watch them in their home? Whatever the case, you as their father have a right to be concerned for your kids and if you are willling tohelpw ith a solution then maybe ahe won't get offended or upset. have the goal to help in this area and not to get bent out of shape or anything, be kind when approaching her, I would hope that she would appreciate your concern and be willing to work with you here.
Thank You very much, as I have approached her on a adult level, but she responded by saying other kids babysat when they were 13, which I disagree on. Is there an age requirement that you know of? I reside in NH. Thanks again for your help and opinion.

January 31, 2006, 11:47 am CST

Thank You very much, as I have approached her on a adult level, but she responded by saying other kids babysat when they were 13, which I disagree on. Is there an age requirement that you know of? I reside in NH. Thanks again for your help and opinion.
I really don't know if there is an age requirement, which I think "common sense" should be enough for any parent. Maybe try looking into jobs and family services and they may know, or maybe even social services. Just call and maybe there is some one who can answer your question. In any case, who ever is watching the children should have some knowledge in what they are doing and know some cpr and have numbers to call, all this should be posted for them to see.

January 31, 2006, 4:34 pm CST

I'm the kids mother

Quote From: jettav

I really don't know if there is an age requirement, which I think "common sense" should be enough for any parent. Maybe try looking into jobs and family services and they may know, or maybe even social services. Just call and maybe there is some one who can answer your question. In any case, who ever is watching the children should have some knowledge in what they are doing and know some cpr and have numbers to call, all this should be posted for them to see.
Child Labor

What is the youngest age at which a person can be employed?
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets 14 as the minimum age for most non-agricultural work. However, at any age, youth may deliver newspapers; perform in radio, television, movie, or theatrical productions; work in businesses owned by their parents (except in mining, manufacturing or hazardous jobs); and perform babysitting or perform minor chores around a private home. Also, at any age, youth may be employed as homeworkers to gather evergreens and make evergreen wreaths.
Different age requirements apply to the employment of youth in agriculture.
Many states have enacted child labor laws, some of which may have a minimum age for employment which is higher than the FLSA. Where both the FLSA and state child labor laws apply, the higher minimum standard must be obeyed.

February 1, 2006, 12:22 pm CST

My Experience with Daycare Kids

My mom stayed home, so I didn't go to daycare. However, I did have some experiences with a few kids who did in elementary school, and they were not positive.  

1) In a couple of grades, there were kids who did not return things they were supposed to--I remember a few times when we had a class picture and individual pictures taken and were supposed to return them if we didn't want to buy them, the kids who didn't were in daycare. I really recall the teacher saying, "You need to return the picture--it doesn't belong to you!" or "They aren't free."  

2) In fifth grade, there a girl who was very aggressive and jealous that I didn't want to be friends with her. One time, when the class was in the hall walking to art class, she began pushing several people in line, including me, for no reason. (She never did it again, so I'm assuming the teacher talked with her after I informed her.) She went to daycare, and I think her mom was divorced. She has also joined my fourth grade class the previous spring, so I knew how she was from the beginning.  

It is a myth that children need daycare to socialize. They can do that with siblings or cousins or your friend's children. Also, children do not begin to socialize until around the age of three, so daycare has no benefit before that time. If you look at studies by Dr.Laura and Dr.T Berry Braselton, you'll find proof that daycare is not beneficial and that most daycares, over 90%, are not high quality. 

February 1, 2006, 2:19 pm CST

Quote From: leslie1275

Child Labor

What is the youngest age at which a person can be employed?
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets 14 as the minimum age for most non-agricultural work. However, at any age, youth may deliver newspapers; perform in radio, television, movie, or theatrical productions; work in businesses owned by their parents (except in mining, manufacturing or hazardous jobs); and perform babysitting or perform minor chores around a private home. Also, at any age, youth may be employed as homeworkers to gather evergreens and make evergreen wreaths.
Different age requirements apply to the employment of youth in agriculture.
Many states have enacted child labor laws, some of which may have a minimum age for employment which is higher than the FLSA. Where both the FLSA and state child labor laws apply, the higher minimum standard must be obeyed.
What ever the case, who ever watches my children will have experience and know how and what to do when there is an emergency and they will have contact numbers just in case. I think this father has the right to be concerned about his children and if a minor is in charge then they better be prepared for the worse. No parent wants to think the worse but it does happen unfortuanetly. And if this paretn has a concern then the two parents should be adult enough to come together and work out a solutiont hat will work and please both. He is showing concern for his children and I would be worried if he wasn't and didn't care about what was going on in the home.

February 1, 2006, 2:31 pm CST

Quote From: kat200

My mom stayed home, so I didn't go to daycare. However, I did have some experiences with a few kids who did in elementary school, and they were not positive.  

1) In a couple of grades, there were kids who did not return things they were supposed to--I remember a few times when we had a class picture and individual pictures taken and were supposed to return them if we didn't want to buy them, the kids who didn't were in daycare. I really recall the teacher saying, "You need to return the picture--it doesn't belong to you!" or "They aren't free."  

2) In fifth grade, there a girl who was very aggressive and jealous that I didn't want to be friends with her. One time, when the class was in the hall walking to art class, she began pushing several people in line, including me, for no reason. (She never did it again, so I'm assuming the teacher talked with her after I informed her.) She went to daycare, and I think her mom was divorced. She has also joined my fourth grade class the previous spring, so I knew how she was from the beginning.  

It is a myth that children need daycare to socialize. They can do that with siblings or cousins or your friend's children. Also, children do not begin to socialize until around the age of three, so daycare has no benefit before that time. If you look at studies by Dr.Laura and Dr.T Berry Braselton, you'll find proof that daycare is not beneficial and that most daycares, over 90%, are not high quality. 

I'm not so sure that I agree with everything that you are saying though I do believe kids are better off at home with their parents at such young ages. I am a stay at home mom with no desire to use day care, I have worked in good day cares in the past but there are always some one to give a bad name to the place or who just isn't a good teacher. Just any one can usually walk into a building. My oldest is in preschool but she didn't start going til this year when she was 4, she communicates with me about everything and every one that she comes in contact with at school, a 6 week old (which is the start age at many centers) cannot speak up or play out anything that she sees at school. I feel a child should be able to communicate when being placed in a center...and you are wrong about the age three socialization, my oldest was talking, singing, holding conversations at the age of two, was daytime potty trained by the time she was two, recognized letters, shapes and colors and printing her name before the age of three. At two years old, I had her in the 3-5 year old Sunday school class at my church mainly becasue she was the only baby there at the time(she was two) but hey, the child was coloring at 11 months old and her social skils were wonderful by the time she was two.........Now, my youngest is 3 but not as advanced but yes she was holding conversations at the age of two and also in the 3-5 year old class at church,She just turned three a month ago, and not far behind her sister. Kids learn at different paces and their skills develop at different times, no kid is the same and depending on the family and what they are exposed to will have an impact on how children learn and develop in a lot of areas and socializing can happen very early on, My children have been around other children since they were infants, therefore do not lack in that skill, and they were doing it way before the age of 3.

February 2, 2006, 3:00 pm CST

Even if there is an age requirement i dont think there should be. I have been babbysitting sense i was 12 and now as an adult with my own children, all i look for when i look for a babysitter is if they are responsible, good with children, and have a lot of selfrespect. The age shouldnt matter because some people learn to grow up rather quickly, like some who have no parents and have been raiseing there siblings sense they were young themselves.  I always leave emergency numbers and numbers to where i will be but if you are going out or even to work you should never have to worry about what is going on at home.  That is my oppinion.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last