Message Boards

Topic : Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Number of Replies: 102
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:45:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you have a nanny? Is your child in daycare? Share advice and stories about your experiences with childcare.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 22, 2006, 3:41 pm CST

Daycare/Babysitters/Nannies

Quote From: logans_mom

I am thinking about taking my 20 month old boy to daycare for 2 days a week, a few hours in the morning. He is very shy around other children and i am wondering if this will help! Does anyone have an opinion on this? Do you think he is to little to go to daycare? 
I don't think he is too little for daycare. My son has been in daycare since he was 2 months old. Believe me, if I could have stayed home longer with him, I would have. However, I am a single mother and just don't make enough money to do that. I have to work and I go to school. My son went to one for a year, and then it temporarily closed so we switched to another and have been there since. He is now almost 5 years old. My son is very happy there. I think daycare is helping prepare him for school. He has learned that there are rules to be followed by everyone, and there are consequences for breaking the rules. He has made so many friends there and even watches out for the littler kids there! Besides going to work and school, I have the added benefit of being friends with my daycare providers. It is nice having someone to talk to to who knows your situation exactly. I hope his helps you!

February 23, 2006, 9:18 pm CST

What age would you let your child attend a sleepover?

I am a preschool teacher and my roommate and I often babysit for the children at our center. We have organized several sleepovers in which the parent's bring their children to our house and they spend the night. The children bring sleeping bags and we have a little slumber party.  

The kids are 3, but we have had them as young as late 2's. When discussing this with a small group oif people, they said that they would never allow their children to stary with someone overnight at such a young age. What are your thoughts? 

February 26, 2006, 4:51 pm CST

Quote From: jettav

I'm not so sure that I agree with everything that you are saying though I do believe kids are better off at home with their parents at such young ages. I am a stay at home mom with no desire to use day care, I have worked in good day cares in the past but there are always some one to give a bad name to the place or who just isn't a good teacher. Just any one can usually walk into a building. My oldest is in preschool but she didn't start going til this year when she was 4, she communicates with me about everything and every one that she comes in contact with at school, a 6 week old (which is the start age at many centers) cannot speak up or play out anything that she sees at school. I feel a child should be able to communicate when being placed in a center...and you are wrong about the age three socialization, my oldest was talking, singing, holding conversations at the age of two, was daytime potty trained by the time she was two, recognized letters, shapes and colors and printing her name before the age of three. At two years old, I had her in the 3-5 year old Sunday school class at my church mainly becasue she was the only baby there at the time(she was two) but hey, the child was coloring at 11 months old and her social skils were wonderful by the time she was two.........Now, my youngest is 3 but not as advanced but yes she was holding conversations at the age of two and also in the 3-5 year old class at church,She just turned three a month ago, and not far behind her sister. Kids learn at different paces and their skills develop at different times, no kid is the same and depending on the family and what they are exposed to will have an impact on how children learn and develop in a lot of areas and socializing can happen very early on, My children have been around other children since they were infants, therefore do not lack in that skill, and they were doing it way before the age of 3.

I totally agreee with you. I wish more parents realized the benefits the children have in life when they stay home as long as they can with their children. I live in Canada and the daycare facilities are no better then any nanny I ever found to take care of my daughter.  Everyone seems to be in it for the money and not for much else.  

One person to five children in any facility or other wise is too much to juggle expecially if the children are all about the same age. The ratio of care giver to child should be less then 1 to 5. it should be 1 to 3 at max. All children need guidenece and attention and I do not see much of that happening when this law is in place. Our children suffer.  

February 26, 2006, 5:08 pm CST

Quote From: jadams

I am a preschool teacher and my roommate and I often babysit for the children at our center. We have organized several sleepovers in which the parent's bring their children to our house and they spend the night. The children bring sleeping bags and we have a little slumber party.  

The kids are 3, but we have had them as young as late 2's. When discussing this with a small group oif people, they said that they would never allow their children to stary with someone overnight at such a young age. What are your thoughts? 

I dont think children under 7 should be having sleep overs with friends. Certainly not at 2 years old.  On the other hand, I think it really depends on the child and his or her level of comfort towards the family and friends she will be sleeping over with. But at the same token I would be curious about the parent who would let their child/children go before that age. So in short,  as a parent because of the worries I would have I would not allow sleep overs before 7 no matter what my child/children wanted. 

February 26, 2006, 8:44 pm CST

Quote From: lilly1010

I dont think children under 7 should be having sleep overs with friends. Certainly not at 2 years old.  On the other hand, I think it really depends on the child and his or her level of comfort towards the family and friends she will be sleeping over with. But at the same token I would be curious about the parent who would let their child/children go before that age. So in short,  as a parent because of the worries I would have I would not allow sleep overs before 7 no matter what my child/children wanted. 

My children has stayed over night with my parents ever siv=cnce they were babies, other then that, they have never slept away from home without us. But we are all different in many ways and I think a good parent will use common sense when it comes to their children and will know when to allow their children to have a sleep over, parents know their children better then any one else and if all is comfortable with the set up then go ahead and do it but for me personally, I would want my chidlren to be able to commnicate and to be able to talk about their time there which is how I feel about a daycare, I would personally would never leave my child in a center or a sitter with out them being able to communicate other then my parents. I suppose it is all about comfort level and what we feel in our hearts to do.

February 28, 2006, 8:11 am CST

My experience with daycare

I worked at a daycare before.There are some good daycares and there are some bad daycares. The one I worked at wasnt a good one. If some of the parents only knew what was going on they would take their kids out of there. I seen one teacher yell and scream at 2 year olds. They put the fear in them so they would behave and mind them. I seen toddlers running around with snotty noses and they didnt get their face wiped off until it was time for the parent to pick them up. I seen kids sharing the same sippie cup. (No wonder there are so many viruses in daycare.) I seen children being singled out by the teachers because the children werent dressed properly or they thought they were ugly. I seen teachers getting other children to hit other kids because the teacher did not like the kid. I heard teachers make bad comments about a childs looks. I seen mold all around the top of sippie cups and they were not washed properly. I seen children fighting on the playground and the teacher let them fight because she was too busy talking on her cell phone. Then when the child comes to tell the teacher what happened and the child is crying the teacher verbally abuses the child and tells the child sit down and be quiet. I seen toddlers running around with their pants wet because the teacher didnt change their diaper. It went through the diaper and onto the clothing. I seen food dropped on  the floor at lunch time and the kids picking it up and eating it anyway because the teacher didnt pick it up and throw it in the garbage. I have heard teachers actully yelling and screaming at the children and the children are crying for their mommys. My child was one of these kids and my child will NEVER go back to daycare. If only the parents knew. Some of these kids are too young to talk, so I am telling you myself. I hope you really investigate the daycare that your child is attending. Did you know your child is being made fun of because of the way he/she is dressed? Did you know your child walks around all day with snot on his/her face until it is time for you pick him/her up? Did you know that if your child is not liked by the teachers they will get other children to hit on your child? Did you know that your child is being verbally abused by the teachers if they dont mind? Did you know that your child is eating food off of the floor? Did you know that your child is drinking after other children? Did you know that your child is being talked about by other teachers because they dont like his/her looks and they mistreat your child because of it? Not all daycares are like this, but this one is. I know, I worked there. I dont work there anymore. But if only these kids can tell you themselves what happens in "some" daycare centers. I was a good teacher. I took up for the kids who got picked on by these adults. But I had to quit because I couldnt tolerate the adults behavior anymore and  I couldnt tolerate these things happening to my child and others.A little advice, when your child tells you a story about daycare, listen carefully. They could be making up a story, but there is a little bit of "truth" in each sentence. I wish I would have listened to my child when she was telling me her story. Now I know what she was talking about. My child was verbally abused and scared to death in daycare by her teacher. When I seen it for myself, I knew then, what my child was talking about.

February 28, 2006, 10:25 am CST

Quote From: jb7ctx

I worked at a daycare before.There are some good daycares and there are some bad daycares. The one I worked at wasnt a good one. If some of the parents only knew what was going on they would take their kids out of there. I seen one teacher yell and scream at 2 year olds. They put the fear in them so they would behave and mind them. I seen toddlers running around with snotty noses and they didnt get their face wiped off until it was time for the parent to pick them up. I seen kids sharing the same sippie cup. (No wonder there are so many viruses in daycare.) I seen children being singled out by the teachers because the children werent dressed properly or they thought they were ugly. I seen teachers getting other children to hit other kids because the teacher did not like the kid. I heard teachers make bad comments about a childs looks. I seen mold all around the top of sippie cups and they were not washed properly. I seen children fighting on the playground and the teacher let them fight because she was too busy talking on her cell phone. Then when the child comes to tell the teacher what happened and the child is crying the teacher verbally abuses the child and tells the child sit down and be quiet. I seen toddlers running around with their pants wet because the teacher didnt change their diaper. It went through the diaper and onto the clothing. I seen food dropped on  the floor at lunch time and the kids picking it up and eating it anyway because the teacher didnt pick it up and throw it in the garbage. I have heard teachers actully yelling and screaming at the children and the children are crying for their mommys. My child was one of these kids and my child will NEVER go back to daycare. If only the parents knew. Some of these kids are too young to talk, so I am telling you myself. I hope you really investigate the daycare that your child is attending. Did you know your child is being made fun of because of the way he/she is dressed? Did you know your child walks around all day with snot on his/her face until it is time for you pick him/her up? Did you know that if your child is not liked by the teachers they will get other children to hit on your child? Did you know that your child is being verbally abused by the teachers if they dont mind? Did you know that your child is eating food off of the floor? Did you know that your child is drinking after other children? Did you know that your child is being talked about by other teachers because they dont like his/her looks and they mistreat your child because of it? Not all daycares are like this, but this one is. I know, I worked there. I dont work there anymore. But if only these kids can tell you themselves what happens in "some" daycare centers. I was a good teacher. I took up for the kids who got picked on by these adults. But I had to quit because I couldnt tolerate the adults behavior anymore and  I couldnt tolerate these things happening to my child and others.A little advice, when your child tells you a story about daycare, listen carefully. They could be making up a story, but there is a little bit of "truth" in each sentence. I wish I would have listened to my child when she was telling me her story. Now I know what she was talking about. My child was verbally abused and scared to death in daycare by her teacher. When I seen it for myself, I knew then, what my child was talking about.
I have worked in several daycarees and I will say that none of them were like this one you described but they are certainly not the best setting. Some are better then others and there seems to be at least one teacher that is not good withthe children. I have chosen to be a stay at home mom mainlybecause this is what I feel compelled to do, it is my desire and there just isn't any other option for me but I will say that I would choose a private sitter, some one I knew well over a daycare center and I definetly would never send a baby to daycare. I think a child should be able to communicate and talk, play and be able to share what they did in daycare, a parent can learn a lot just through a child's play. An infant cannot speak or play out anything, they have no voice whatsoever. Only one daycare that I worked in had a bell that had to be rung before entering the buiding, other then that, most daycares are open door, any one can walk ina t any point of the day. certainly many things to look at when thinking about daycare. I personally have chosen not to use daycare, just not something I have a desire to do. Good parents will do their homework before placing their kids in a center and they will feel free to pop in as needed, as they desire to, that is one way a paretn can find out what really goes on in a center, pop in unexpected, unnanounced and go from there.....As far as this center discussed here, have they been reported to the state, and what is their track record as far as the state goes?

February 28, 2006, 12:39 pm CST

Hi jettav

Quote From: jettav

I have worked in several daycarees and I will say that none of them were like this one you described but they are certainly not the best setting. Some are better then others and there seems to be at least one teacher that is not good withthe children. I have chosen to be a stay at home mom mainlybecause this is what I feel compelled to do, it is my desire and there just isn't any other option for me but I will say that I would choose a private sitter, some one I knew well over a daycare center and I definetly would never send a baby to daycare. I think a child should be able to communicate and talk, play and be able to share what they did in daycare, a parent can learn a lot just through a child's play. An infant cannot speak or play out anything, they have no voice whatsoever. Only one daycare that I worked in had a bell that had to be rung before entering the buiding, other then that, most daycares are open door, any one can walk ina t any point of the day. certainly many things to look at when thinking about daycare. I personally have chosen not to use daycare, just not something I have a desire to do. Good parents will do their homework before placing their kids in a center and they will feel free to pop in as needed, as they desire to, that is one way a paretn can find out what really goes on in a center, pop in unexpected, unnanounced and go from there.....As far as this center discussed here, have they been reported to the state, and what is their track record as far as the state goes?
I dont know if they have ever been reported to the state, but I did report 2 of the teachers who did this, to my supervisor. When they found out I said something to the supervisor, that is when they took their anger out on my child. My child was in another room at the daycare center with "one of the mean" teachers. Sometimes the parents did pop in unannounced and when they did, the teachers "of course" acted nice to their kids then. The daycare is still open and I heard from a friend of mine that one of the mean teachers is no longer there. I dont know if she quit or got fired. But I do know , she did not have the patience for kids.

February 28, 2006, 3:06 pm CST

I'm a stay at home mom and an Early Childhood daycare educator

Since College I beleave that children need to be at home as much as possible.  Nobody can replace a mom or dad.  But It's also important for children to have friends, to be motivated to explore things, learn to be away from mom and dad and discover that they will survive.  In daycare they learn to be independant and they love it because they become proud of themselves. And Day care is a good way to do that.  Ideally if you can put your child in day care half a week and the other half  he/she is at home with mom or dad it would be great.  I'm enjoying my time at home with my 7 month old girl.   From a classroom of 8, 2yrs to 1 baby girl, it's like being on vacation.  But soon enough I will have to got back to work and my girl in daycare.  As much as I will miss her, I know that she will enjoy her time in daycare.  But it is true that you must be careful with the daycare you choose.  If a daycare refuse to let you spend some time to see how the dayc goes than you shoudl ask yourself questions.  Observe the interactions between the educators and the children.  Look for signs that the children love their educators but the educator must have some discipline too.  Within a few minutes your child will let you know if he will be happy there or not, he will want to participate with the others and play with them.  Even the shy ones will show signs of interest even if they do not play with the others. 

Hoped I helped  

Pee-a-boo see you later  

February 28, 2006, 6:38 pm CST

Quote From: peek_a_boo

Since College I beleave that children need to be at home as much as possible.  Nobody can replace a mom or dad.  But It's also important for children to have friends, to be motivated to explore things, learn to be away from mom and dad and discover that they will survive.  In daycare they learn to be independant and they love it because they become proud of themselves. And Day care is a good way to do that.  Ideally if you can put your child in day care half a week and the other half  he/she is at home with mom or dad it would be great.  I'm enjoying my time at home with my 7 month old girl.   From a classroom of 8, 2yrs to 1 baby girl, it's like being on vacation.  But soon enough I will have to got back to work and my girl in daycare.  As much as I will miss her, I know that she will enjoy her time in daycare.  But it is true that you must be careful with the daycare you choose.  If a daycare refuse to let you spend some time to see how the dayc goes than you shoudl ask yourself questions.  Observe the interactions between the educators and the children.  Look for signs that the children love their educators but the educator must have some discipline too.  Within a few minutes your child will let you know if he will be happy there or not, he will want to participate with the others and play with them.  Even the shy ones will show signs of interest even if they do not play with the others. 

Hoped I helped  

Pee-a-boo see you later  

Children can also learn all these things without going to daycare center. I as a stay at home mom have offered and introduced my children to independence and they have many friends, I sent my oldest at the age of 4 to preschool and she is way ahead of her class being the only one who had not entered a center of any kind. I personally feel that parents are the best teacher for their children and can do just as good if not better then any child care provider. For those who want or need to put their children in a center, I say more powere to them but children who do not attend one is not losing out on anything, especially if they have involved parents. My kids are very social with many friends, They have made friends with kids fro the park, librarty, mall, neighbors, church, play groups, every where practically, they even have best friends that they come in contact on a regualr basis, it is up tot he parents to give their kids what they need to grow and mature and to gain independence. Daycare might be good for some kids but now all, depends on how the home is run and I as a stay at home mom have reaped many great benefits for having my kids home and they have as well. Though my daughter is in preschool, I will probably still choose to homeschool later, at this point, she is just ahead of her class and I have a feeling she is going to need more of a challenge, we will see what the future holds.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last