Message Boards

Topic : 04/07 Social Taboos: Is This Normal?

Number of Replies: 846
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, March 31, 2006, 12:55:50 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Admit it, you've judged people for doing things you considered inappropriate and abnormal in public. Meet Margaret, a stay-at-home mom who's tired of everyone thinking sex is taboo. She says she absolutely loves sex and she'll talk about it anytime, anywhere ... and with all of her kids. This includes showing them her sex toys, her sex swing and her X-rated Web site! But that's not all. Margaret is in a relationship with another woman, Jen, and Jen's husband. Now that she's pregnant, both women say they plan on breastfeeding the baby. Then, meet a husband who sometimes uses the F word six times in one sentence! Plus, meet three kids who think their mom dresses too sexy, and follow a woman's quest to change people's behavior in the grocery store, one shopper at a time. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 7, 2006, 6:56 am CDT

Grocery IMpolite practices

Dr. Phil, 

Please let the woman with the divider bar OBSESSION know it is NOT the first person in the line that is responsible for the bar, it is the second.  If you come up behind someone in the line, you must place the bar infront of your order.  It is not their fault you came up behind them...you made the choice!  Stop being lazy and grab your own bar!  SHEESH!  

April 7, 2006, 6:58 am CDT

Social taboos - sexual exposure

I believe Margaret is bordering on legal issues, if this is a real situation.  I doubt that it is.  If it is real, I believe experts in the law should investigate.  Police and child welfare should investigate.  I noticed she chose her words carefully.  This leads me to believe there is more to the issue.  Either that or it is a set up, not a real situation, and she was prompted as what not to say.

April 7, 2006, 6:59 am CDT

Shopping dividers!

I so agree with Kelly and the divders you find at the stores. Although i do not add things to thier order (i now have a GREAT idea) I mumble under my breath, something to the effect of "here let me get this for you" and i will place the divder behind their order so that i may put my items on the belt, i do however move it from mine to behind mine to give the person a sign that they may place thier things of the belt! I do not think in anyway Kelly is weird because i am the same way!. There are soo many shopping cart and stor rules we all must follow! most dont and it makes me mad. Kelly girl we boht together can save the world one shopper at a time!

April 7, 2006, 7:03 am CDT

04/07 Social Taboos: Is This Normal?

Dr. Phil is irritated with the woman with the shopping divider, but sits passively with the two disgusting self-absorbed, selfish, woman with the sexual issues?!  Give me a break!!   

Dr. PHil, it IS irritating when people don't use the divider!  So yes, that's normal!  As for the two other women:  get over yourself!  As Dr. Phil should have said, "it's not all about YOU".  Those poor children.  If parents want to act like this, fine, but do it behind closed doors and don't embarrass your kids.  Once you have kids, it's not all about you anymore!  Obviously these people have serious issues in their pasts that should have been dealt with by a therapist (uh, like Dr. Phil).   No, this behavior is not normal!!! 

April 7, 2006, 7:13 am CDT

"cart rage"

The lady who likes making people spend more money on their groceries because she can't read frustrated me to no end! Yes, I said "can't read"!!  The grocery separators that I have seen say PLEASE PLACE BETWEEN ORDERS. If a shopper gets in line and there is no one else in line then there are no orders to separate! I believe this woman is just lazy and self absorbed and thinks the world revolves around her. Good grief, lady, get a grip!!!!!! Pick the bar up and SEPARATE THE ORDERS! In the same scenario as before when there's no one else in line, suppose the shopper is writing a check while the clerk is still tallying the order and someone else steps into the line. Are they suppose to stop what they are doing just to place the bar in front of this lady's order just to keep her from whining????? When she gets caught putting things like that in with someone's order that has had a bad day and they explode on her...she'll stop the laziness and self centered attitude!  

April 7, 2006, 7:13 am CDT

The Great Divide

Here's my take on supermarket courtesy. You take care of your own order. Your own order is your responsibility. You make sure that no one's stuff is mistaken by the cashier as part of your order. Kelly said that because the bar is closest to the cashier, that the person closest to the cashier has the responsibility of putting the bar behind their order. Kelly, if you're reading this, have you ever noticed that when the cashier places the bar in the track located beside the conveyor belt that other bars are pushed down for easy grabbing by the next customer? Check stands were designed like that for the convenience of the next customer. If their aren't enough bars in the track to feed one down to me, I either ask the person ahead of me to hand me the bar closest to them or I reach for it and they end up handing me the bar anyway. If I interact with the next customer it's in a courteous way! I don't interact with them by trying to teach them a lesson by adding things to their order. If you did that to me, my first thought wouldn't be that you were trying to teach me a lesson. It would be that you were trying to get me to pay for your groceries! If you want other customers to behave courteously to you in the supermarket, try acting courteously to them first. It works.

April 7, 2006, 7:14 am CDT

Report them to the CPS.

Dr. Phil is talking to a brick wall.  She came to defend her position. But it is absolutly wrong what she is doing,and what she is putting These adults are abusing these children emotionally, They may not have any visible scars on them but emotionally they are bruised. Dr. Phil: Report them. I can't believe these two women are actually defending this disgusting and abbhorant behavior. They seriously need some therapy, and until they get it these children need to be removed from the home. 

April 7, 2006, 7:19 am CDT

shopping dividers!

Quote From: fireldy971

Dr. Phil, 

Please let the woman with the divider bar OBSESSION know it is NOT the first person in the line that is responsible for the bar, it is the second.  If you come up behind someone in the line, you must place the bar infront of your order.  It is not their fault you came up behind them...you made the choice!  Stop being lazy and grab your own bar!  SHEESH!  

NO it is NOT the second persons responsibilty it IS the FIRST person's they should be courtious enough of the people behind them to place the bar in back of thier order! SHEESH!

April 7, 2006, 7:19 am CDT

Thank you!!!!!

Quote From: fireldy971

Dr. Phil, 

Wow, there are still some considerate people in the world!!!!!  

April 7, 2006, 7:20 am CDT

DISGUSTING

Margaret is DISGUSTING. She is so smug in her conviction that she is "educating" her children that even Dr. Phil won't be able to help her.  

I feel terribly sorry for these children to be stuck with such awful role models.  When they grow up and all need therapy for the inappropriate way they are being raised I hope Margaret comes out of her denial long enough to feel crushed by guilt for messing up her kids so badly. 

Somebody please call DSS. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last