Message Boards

Topic : Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

Number of Replies: 316
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, June 30, 2005, 12:46:10 pm
Author : dataimport
Grandparents face unique challenges raising their grandchildren. Share your advice, support and stories here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 27, 2009, 8:34 pm CST

I adopted

I adopted my grandaughter  20 yrs ago. her mother came to her father and I and Asked  us to adopt her child, I dont regret it but I did however try to encourage her to  just let me help her with her child  until  she  turned 18, that wasnt what she wanted , I gave her All her options and she insisted on us adopting and we did, she grew  to a fine young lady, my daughter now says  she  cant remeber how the adoption happened, no biggie, of course the husband at time of adoption  he decided after 18 yrs of marriage it was time to move on to  my sister, I kicked him  the rest of the way out became a single parent  till the little one reached 13, no matter what Im Mom, and she now has 3 children triplets,  that call me nanny, and stay with me every week end, the  bio mother when she asked us to adopt , simply said said "I know I got pregnant  but I am not ready to be a mother, I never want her to know"  Well of course she told her when the child was 10  we still work on issues but i have to say I respected my  daughter for comeing to me  not haveing an abortion, or dumping the child in  a church or trash can, for a 16 yr old she pretty much  had a good head  on her shoulders  about the baby, and  finishing school,  yes I would do it all over again  In the long  run  considering everything  it was what was best  for  the chld , was it easy  , No but then again  worth while adventures  never are, I was 35  when  I became  "grandma", but "Mom " instead of grandma, children do not ask to be born, and I wouldnt trade one moment  of raiseing my children biological or adopted  for all  the easy pathes of life or  big bank  accounts, the  ex left when the child was 7 mos old, no he did not pay child support  nor did i ask  for it , I wasnt a perfect mother, but I was a good mom , my children came first, they still do and so do their children my needs are not as important as theirs  nor  do my any of my wants come first ---my  girls are 20  and 31  and they still come first

April 7, 2009, 8:17 pm CDT

Grandparents Raising Grandchildren

, I am raising my wonderful granddaughter after barely experiencing an empty nest (I think I got about a year of peace) , I forgot the joys of potty training and hope to forget the joy of it all again real soon .
My Husband and I never thought we would do it all again , but here we are with an almost 3 year old . I am almost 46 and he is 51 ,we were going to travel the world or maybe just the USA , walk around the house naked and most of all just do whatever.
By Christmas of 2006 we were parents again, fiercely protecting our Granddaughter from a Meth addict mom and her drug dealing sugar daddy.
Now we wouldn't change a thing , we love her so much and we couldn't imagine life without her .
She is so much fun , so smart and we are so much more relaxed , we pick our battles and not every little thing is a big deal like it was when I was young mom and I'm sure she gets away with a lot more than my kids did.
She is truly a gift , so as we change our dreams to include her , we will just take her with us when we travel !( Once we have rubbed ben gay on everything that hurts) , we look to the future with enthusiasm and hope for her future and ours .his is my first blog ever!
I guess I better get on with it , I am raising my wonderful granddaughter after barely experiencing an empty nest (I think I got about a year of peace) , I forgot the joys of potty training and hope to forget the joy of it all again real soon .
My Husband and I never thought we would do it all again , but here we are with an almost 3 year old . I am almost 46 and he is 51 ,we were going to travel the world or maybe just the USA , walk around the house naked and most of all just do whatever.
By Christmas of 2006 we were parents again, fiercely protecting our Granddaughter from a Meth addict mom and her drug dealing sugar daddy.
Now we wouldn't change a thing , we love her so much and we couldn't imagine life without her .
She is so much fun , so smart and we are so much more relaxed , we pick our battles and not every little thing is a big deal like it was when I was young mom and I'm sure she gets away with a lot more than my kids did.
She is truly a gift , so as we change our dreams to include her , we will just take her with us when we travel !( Once we have rubbed ben gay on everything that hurts) , we look to the future with enthusiasm and hope for her future and ours .his is my first blog ever!
I guess I better get on with it , I am raising my wonderful granddaughter after barely experiencing an empty nest (I think I got about a year of peace) , I forgot the joys of potty training and hope to forget the joy of it all again real soon .
She is truly a gift , so as we change our dreams to include her , we will just take her with us when we travel !( Once we have rubbed ben gay on everything that hurts) , we look to the future with enthusiasm and hope for her future and ours .

Granny in Texas

April 10, 2009, 8:57 pm CDT

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this..

So I was wondering, I have a one year old son. My mother is married to an abusive man, he is currently in prison for beating the crap out of her, he broke bones in her face and chest. He also has a history of doing these things, and worse. Its not the first time. She is still with him, because he said he has found God, and is sorry and all that. So when he gets out in Aug. 2010, she's going to let him move into her house again with her and her 3 young children. I've told her that when that happens I will no longer let her visit my son alone. I don't want to let her bring him around this man knowing that he can be dangerous. She can't protect her own three children, how is she going to protect mine, if he decides to beat her again? So she pulls the 'Grandparents Rights' card, and says she'll take me to court. I did not say she can't see her grandson at all, I told her she [and the kids] are welcome to my home, but I don't want her to bring her husband around, I won't have anything to do with a person like that. What I want to know is, what can she really do? Do I have the right to protect my son? After all I am not denying her visitations with my son, I just don't want her to take him for day trips alone. All I want is to keep my son safe, and I am willing and ready to do that by any means necessary. Am I wrong? =\

May 16, 2009, 2:22 am CDT

Same Story

Quote From: debbiehinz

My husband and I took in my Granddaughter when she was 10 months old.  She grew up calling me Mommy and my husband Daddy....she still does.  She is now 6 and I am not sure my husband and I are correct by not telling her that she is adopted.  My daughter (her Mother) is still an active part in her life as her SISTER.  Right now she does not know any better and my husband, this is his first (and will be his only) child so he refuses to tell her, this is HIS little girl.  I want to tell her sometime because I have heard horror stories of adopted children who find out late in life and they have a hard time accepting it.  I would like to know what to do, I would like to know what is best for our little girl before it is too late.
Your story is an exact replicate of ours. My daughter is now 7 and I am 59 yrs and my wife is 65. What did you decide and what was the outcome?

May 16, 2009, 1:11 pm CDT

Raising 2 grandchildren

My husband and I filed for legal guardianship of our then 5 month old grandson due to his mothers drug abuse and fear of loosing him to the system. My daughter was arrested ( in another state ) shortly after we became legal guardians of our grandson, she was given a one year prison term. Upon entering prison she discovered she was again pregnant. Her father and I drove across state to pick up the infant when he was born. The oldest child is now 23 months and the baby is 6 months old. My daughter was taken back to our state after her sentence to face charges here in her home town. She will be released next month. She plans to straighten out her life and take care of her children. I want nothing more than for her to straighten her life out and lead a productive happy healthy life. But at the same time I dread her coming home and taking my grandchildren. I feel terrible for feeling this way but I feel as if I will soon be loosing my children and I don't know how to handle this. Has anyone gone through the same problem of raising their grandchildren through infancy into toddler-hood and then having to give them back? Although there are times I wish my husband and I could be alone to spend our golden years together without young children as we had thought would be the case at our age, but my heart aches at the thought of loosing these boys that we have loved and nurtured as our own. I do not have legal custody of the infant and legal guardianship can be reversed if the court feels my daughter is responsible enough to care for the boys. I feel so guilty for not wanting to let them go,but at the same time my heart aches. Any advice?

September 2, 2009, 12:06 pm CDT

Raising 2 Grandbabies and One On The Way,

I find it so totally ironic that I warned my oldest daughter not to have children till she could handle it and until she was more mature to be able to raise children. She didn't listen to a word I said, in fact told me I didn't know what I was talking about. When she had the first baby, two years ago, we took the baby in and watched him for her. I tried to make her keep him sometimes to so she could move into being a parent. It didn't happen, in fact she and her boyfriend act like they have no children, unless they are wanting to play mom and dad which doesn't last very long even then. Then my daughter had another baby and we got stuck watching him all the time to. I tried to get them to watch their babies and still try. They get mad at me and say the babies wont come back no more, which is a joke cause they never keep their words about anything. It is impossible for them to be real parents. So I believe and its what they've proven to me! 

My daughter doesn't work nore does her boyfriend whom she is presntly living with in the trailer next door to us. I am glad they are next door so we can keep an eye on the babies when they have them, they can be pretty neglectful of the babies. But also I'm glad they are next door so they can at least watch the babies sometimes, which seems like a joke really cause they don't even keep the babies longer than 3 or 4 hours if that long.  

I am not in the best of health, and my back was broken in two places when I was a child. I have been having sever back pain for the last 5 years. So I try to keep at my daughter to watch her babies but it is so hard just trying to get through to her. She doesn't respect me at all and will leave the kids with me with me telling her no I can't watch them. She and her boyfriend wont even let us have a break for a couple of days so we can get some much needed rest. My husband wants to get custody of the babies but I am in fear of doing such a thing. I dread having to raise the babies all by myself with my husband whos health isn't the best either. My daughter and her boyfriend are two healthy young folks who wouldn't really have any problems keeping their own babies. When my daughter has the other baby she will leave it with us, even though we have been telling her we can't take in no more babies. We also told her that with her second baby too but here we are raising him.

I love my grnadbabies, but I just am not in the best place as far as my health is concerned to keep the babies. My husbands health isn't good either but he is the kind of person who will keep the babies even if he was on his death bed. We do feel responcible for the babies and we will for the new baby as well. Its just so frightening to think about. I always have sever depression and so does my husband and we just need for my daughter to do the right thing.

If these things aren't enough, my daughter and her boyfriend will keep the babies over at their trailer only long enough to be able to report it to the Department of Human Services that they have the babies, so they can get food stamps on the babies. When they get the food stamps on the cared, they disappear for a few days camping out with their friends where they have a lot of cooking out. They wont even buy anything for the babies to eat or drink. Whenever they get money from some job they've gotten to do they wont buy the babies dapers or anything else the babies need. My husband calls them dead beat parents. It is a great name for them to. I don't want my grandbabies to have to go into state custody or anything so I just deal with everything a day at a time and pray a lot for Gods help in getting through life this way.  

First | Prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next Page | Last Page