Message Boards

Topic : 07/21 Settle This

Number of Replies: 357
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:04:37 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/10/06) Are you and your spouse caught in a never-ending battle over who's right? DrPhil.com users wrote in about the biggest problems in their relationships. Heather says her biological clock is a ticking time bomb, but her husband, Steve, says they aren't ready for a baby. What does Dr. Phil think? Then, Roberta has been trying to get her husband to work on their relationship by reading one of Dr. Phil's books, but he refuses. Will he have an excuse after the show? And, Rita is asking her husband, Jeff, "Where's the romance?" Jeff says after eight years of marriage, he shouldn't have to wine and dine his wife. Will they meet in the middle? Plus, should a husband have to give up his testosterone toy, and how do you decide how big your wedding should be? Dr. Phil steps in to decide who's right once and for all. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 10, 2006, 7:59 am CDT

I'm an older Mom

The argument can be made for being a young Mother or an older Mother.  I had a very young Mom she was 22 when I was born. I had my first at 35, and I will probably have one more.   

I wouldn't have had it any other way.   

I enjoyed the wild days of my twenties, and I got married at 33.  I will never have to wonder what else is out there or "what might have been". 

The only thing about babies is that you can't give them back, and they aren't always cute, sweet or smell good. So you have to be darn sure you know what your getting into, if you want a baby because you want a change or you are bored DON"T DO IT 

April 10, 2006, 8:04 am CDT

The Plan: Planning for a first baby

I think that developing a Plan towards having a first baby is a great idea.

Now, what are the components of that plan?
How do you develop it?
Is there a template of such a plan out there already?

April 10, 2006, 8:19 am CDT

template

Quote From: jus_askin

I think that developing a Plan towards having a first baby is a great idea.

Now, what are the components of that plan?
How do you develop it?
Is there a template of such a plan out there already?
Yes, it's called a "savings account." Simply don't spend on things you don't need, and allocate the extra funds to your account.

April 10, 2006, 8:41 am CDT

Get REAL

I have to ask...What were you thinking, Dr. Phil? 

Why didn't you ask that seemingly able bodied 26 year old woman why she isn't working? I cannot imagine being in a financial position like the one described by this couple and not contributing to the family bank account. What does this young woman do with her time besides obsess over a baby? And how dare she leave that man to shoulder the entire financial burden of this family alone.

Secondly, as a trained professional, have you not noticed in your years of experience, that the people who so absorbed with the "having" of a baby, are often times the ones who are the most disappointed in the reality of that baby?  

The girl needs professional help. Please don't tell these ill equipped young people that all they need is a financial plan. 

Deborah 

April 10, 2006, 9:24 am CDT

babies

I have a 3 year old boy and a 2 1/2 month old boy and love being a mother!  Me personally am not in any hurry to finish having kids. My husband disagrees with me.  

Every man isn't ready to have a baby, but once that child is born he will more likely be just as exicted about having one, and every man is worried about how they can afford this baby, just let him know that if it is right that the two of you will find a way!  

They also are a lot more exicted about the second one then they were about the first one!  

April 10, 2006, 9:26 am CDT

10% of a whole plan is better than no plan?

Quote From: unispecter

Yes, it's called a "savings account." Simply don't spend on things you don't need, and allocate the extra funds to your account.
I don't think that what you're suggesting would make for a very effective plan; there's a lot that it doesn't cover.

April 10, 2006, 10:38 am CDT

true

Quote From: jus_askin

I don't think that what you're suggesting would make for a very effective plan; there's a lot that it doesn't cover.

That's true, several subdivisions of the plan should be created as well. Once you've got $10,000 in the account, though, I'd say that's a pretty good initial plan. The only way to divide up the entire budget is to know precisely how much each item costs - diapers, food, etc. - but it's very risky having a baby if you don't have enough in the account, anyway. 

April 10, 2006, 10:47 am CDT

04/10 Settle This

All I am gonna say is if my husband came home with a new car...that was impractical we have 3 kids so i know all about big enough for the carseats...it would be like world war 3 b/c one he did it behind my back.

April 10, 2006, 11:05 am CDT

Wanting to have 1st baby after 40 years old

Hubby and I are wanting to have our first baby and we are both over 40. I know some people are thinking this is a crazy idea.

April 10, 2006, 11:27 am CDT

04/10 Settle This

Seeing the profile on the Dr. Phil Web Site just piqued my interest to the point that this car nut just HAD to post with some suggestions as to what kind of car to buy that would satisfy Matt's itch for fun while also satisfying the practicality requirements as well.  One of my absolute FAVORITES these daays is the Mazda5.  This wonderful vehicle is a lot of fun to drive and, since it seats 6, Rachelle has nothing to worry about in terms of fitting the car seats. Another car that I have been aching to tell people about is the new Chevrolet Impala SS. Yes, it may look on the surface like a boring yawn of a family sedan, however, the all new 2006 model uses a 5.3 liter V8 and special suspension{How do you like That, Matt?).  Another car to consider is the Mazda 3S 5-Door hatchback.  A fried of mine has one and I LOVE IT!  I 'm not sure what their budget is and frankly it' s none of my business, however, any of these fine vehicles deserves a serious look.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last