Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 23, 2008, 12:02 pm CDT

I had that fear

Quote From: unhappygirl

I'm 39 years old and for as long as I can remember, I've had this extreme fear of snakes. I can't look at a picture, TV, or anything without my heart pounding, hyper-ventilating and feeling faint...once I almost blacked out! I have 4 kids and this totally interferes with life. I can't even go out in my back yard because one of the kids saw a snake there! I just wish I could overcome this phobia because it affects me in so many ways. I get migraines from stress of seeing them. When we go on vacation we can only do certain things and activities due to this! I can't even look at friends vacation pictures on facebook because there's always a snake around someone's neck!! PLEASE HELP ME DR. PHIL. PLEASE...PLEASE

I was also afraid of snakes for years.  I got tired of being afraid and started by holding the hand of my boyfriend and walking up to the snake tank at zoos.  Then, I'd advance to touching the glass.  The snake cannot get you if they are on the other side of the tank.  I also started to pet snakes when handlers brought them to malls.  I was finally able to hold a snake while at a fair.  I have a picture of me with a large snake wrapped around me and I'm holding it's head up.  Maybe it will help to take baby steps like I did.

I'll pray for you. 

May 26, 2009, 4:17 pm CDT

Sea life phobia

Quote From: mmhmmm

I have an irrational fear of sharks.  I dont even have to be near water to be frightened.  When I see a picture of a shark while turning pages in a book,  I will scream out (usually obscenities, which I cant seem to control, lol) and throw the book, I'll even have a hard time picking the book back up to put it away for fear knowing that there is a shark in there and I'm "touching" it.  A few times I have lost the remote control and had to change the TV station by hand and have flipped past a shark.  Being right up there next to it has panicked me so much that i fly over backwards and yell out loud enough for my husband to come running in the room to see what's wrong.  I had told a friend about this fear and he kinda laughed and started humming the "jaws" theme, I laughed and told him to stop...but I was more than serious for him to stop because I could feel the sharks swarming me.  The worst part is that I can't close my eyes in the shower.  I see a shark heading straight towards me with its mouth open getting ready to take a bite out of my legs...and again...i yell out and sometimes thrash to get it away from me.  I've had this fear as long as I can remember.  It never goes away.  It controls me.
I know just how you feel. I have the exact same fear, I've had it since I was a little girl. At first it was a fear of water, mostly a pool where I was afraid of being sucked down the drain...I still can't go too close to a drain on a pool, but it evolved to sea life in general, even fish scare me but it's mainly sharks, octopus, jelly fish, even dolphins, which I know are so nice. I also have a hard time taking a shower, I usually have to think of something else or sing while I am in there. My husband thought it was weird but doesn't question it anymore, he used to make fun of me. I have an overactive imagination and have to avoid any pictures or videos of sea life. Once I have seen the photo it will usually take a week or so for me to get over it and forget the image. So I avoid anything like that so my mind doesn't bring it up. I have a lot of knowledge on sharks and sea life but even with that my mind still goes crazy about it. I can never go to an aquarium  and even at a zoo I had to stay directly in the middle and go very fast, closing my eyes on most parts. Even dreams I have of such things affect me. I know these creatures can be harmless but I still have a fear that they will eat me or hurt me, but even just how they feel or look is just scary. I've worked really hard to move forward and do better with my fear, as long as I ignore the media of it and rationalize, but sometimes the rationalization doesn't help, I just have to give it time.

May 28, 2009, 2:17 pm CDT

Amateur psychologist boondoggle

This is what happens when an untrained person tries to "cure" someone's phobia.

My sister is petrified to use a sewing machine (I, personally think she is just lazy and wants me to do her sewing, lol) and she spent years telling me about how she is afraid that she would "sew through her finger".

Well, I have a couple of great (and powerful) sewing machines, as sewing is what I do professionally, and one day, while she was visiting, I decided to prove to her just how safe it is to use them.

I showed her, in detail, how to thread the machine and set all the preferences, then I picked up some sample fabric and began to sew.

Well, I was so focused on proving to her that she would be perfectly safe, talking to her instead of paying attention to what I was doing, that I DID run my finger through, and the needle deflected off the bone and through the fingernail. My hand was then stuck in the machine and I had to ask her to get some wire clippers to cut the needle out. What a mess!!!!

Needless to say, he was hysterical through the whole event, and I am now the official and ONLY sewer in the family. Should've let a shrink handle her "rehabilitation".

First | Prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next Page | Last Page