Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 11, 2006, 7:55 am CDT

Exploiting Fears

Quote From: juliebgg

Personally I think it is cruel that your "friends" let their hamsters run around when you are there knowing that you fear them.  And even worse that they amuse themselves with your reaction-crying and shaking.  Are these people truly your friends? While they may not be afraid of rodents, it is a very real fear for you and they shouldn't joke about it.  How would they like it if you tossed a snake (or whatever else they are afraid of) onto your living room floor when they come over?
Yes, I also think it is cruel for these "friends" to use your fears as their "entertainment".  Some of these fears are based on childhood incidents that may not even be remembered.  My mother's best friend and a fear of birds because as a child she was attacked by a rooster.  These fears are not trivial, and if they are to be overcome it should be with the guidance of a professional.

April 11, 2006, 7:57 am CDT

to: afraid of

I am an American, and for the record, I happen to love the wonderful city of London.  I have been there twice and am starting to plan my next visit. Why did I mention that?  It is because I, an American have found a common ground with you.   If I ran into you, we would probably have a lovely conversation about what a great place London is. That is, if you could get past your feelings about Americans and talk to me in the first place!!!  Yes, you had a bad experience with A FEW people who happened to be Americans.  But it is so unfair to judge a population of 300 million people by the rude actions of a few.  I have been fortunate to have many frineds in my lifetime-caucasian, African-American, Hispanic, Asian to name a few.  That is because I choose friends based on their inner qualities and don't reject someone because they have different origins than I do.  And I would have missed out on so many good things if I hadn't had these varied friendships. 

So, in essence, please don't judge an entire country of people based on a few nasty people.  If you gave yourself the chance to get to know some Americans you may find some more wonderful friends. 

And give my regards to Tower Bridge!! 

April 11, 2006, 8:01 am CDT

Fear of Clowns

Quote From: othecka

I am a 26 year old that is afraid of CLOWNS! Every since i was Little. Now when i take my children out and we see a clown i go the other way. Why am i so scared of them? Maybe something happen in my past I don't know. but that 's what i am afraid of CLOWNS!!!!
You may have seen (but not remembered) an episode of an old t.v. show called "One Step Beyond".  It was kind of a "Twilight Zone" type of show.  There was a guy who kept seeing the reflection of a clown in mirrors, windows, ponds about to strangle him from behind, but everytime he turned around there was nothing there.  He was freaked, but finally decided to ignore the reflections, and when he did, the clown got him.  Or maybe it was the clown doll near the end of "Poltergeist".  Anyway, there is a dark side to clowns.  I think a lot of people have this fear.

April 11, 2006, 8:24 am CDT

Horror Movies

Quote From: saemae

I cannot watch slasher horror movies.  I can watch horror movies like The Exorcist because there isn't a psychopathic killer stalking people in movies like that.  But try to put a Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th in the DVD player and I bolt.  If I watch one of these movies, I have nightmares.  Most people think they are funny movies because the plotlines are terrible and the effects were on the silly side; the problem is, I keep seeing some lunatic watching these movies getting ideas.  I worry about nutjobs trying to copy the acts they see on these movies.  This is what scares me.  I know there is no such thing as Freddy or Jason or Michael Meyers.  I also know that there are some strange people out there.  It's the possible reality that scares me, I think. 

I am also afraid of driving into a lake.  My dad would fish at a lake every weekend during the summer months when I was little, and to keep me from getting out of the truck while she took my dad dinner, my mom would tell me if I moved I would make the truck roll straight into the lake and I would drown.  I love water and I love boating, but I HATE driving anywhere near a body of water.  I have to breathe deep to go over bridges that cross rivers or lakes.  Crazy, huh? 

I have grown up on horror movies from the time I was seven years old.  For some reason they are comforting to me and I don't know why.  I am one of the most sensible, level-headed, responsible, and truly nice people in the world (at least that is what the people that know me tell me).  So I am not sure why I have this fascination with horror, scary, slasher films.  Maybe it's just a vent for me since I'm not a confrontational person and it gets some of my aggression out in a passive way.  (By the way I also adore "chick flicks" like Terms of Endearment and Steel Magnolias -- in the long run, I am just a movie buff).  But I have always been interested in horror because of the special effects and how they achieve them. 

One recommendation I would have for Donna (from the show today) if her husband wants her to watch the movies with him is get them on DVD and watch them with the director/actor narrative commentary running.   It gives a different perspective to how a film is made, how they achieved the effects, what the budget was, how long it took to film, etc.  Some of these commentaries are hilarious.  For example, James Wan and Leigh Whannell's commentary on the original "Saw".  (The movie that Dr. Phil and Shaq spoof in 'Scary Movie 4'.)  The movie itself is grusome, but the commentary is absolutely hysterically funny.  What do you call that?  A juxtaposition?  Anyway, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch "Saw II" without the commentary on.  It's too intense, so I must be mellowing with age.. 

But you are right in that there are a lot of nut-cases out there who might get ideas from these films; however, if they are pre-disposed to that kind of insantiy anyway, they will get their ideas from somewhere even if it is from their own twisted thinking.   

April 11, 2006, 8:25 am CDT

to: afraid of Americans

I am an American, and for the record, I happen to love the wonderful city of London.  I have been there twice and am starting to plan my next visit. Why did I mention that?  It is because I, an American have found a common ground with you.   If I ran into you, we would probably have a lovely conversation about what a great place London is. That is, if you could get past your feelings about Americans and talk to me in the first place!!!  Yes, you had a bad experience with A FEW people who happened to be Americans.  But it is so unfair to judge a population of 300 million people by the rude actions of a few.  I have been fortunate to have many frineds in my lifetime-caucasian, African-American, Hispanic, Asian to name a few.  That is because I choose friends based on their inner qualities and don't reject someone because they have different origins than I do.  And I would have missed out on so many good things if I hadn't had these varied friendships. 

So, in essence, please don't judge an entire country of people based on a few nasty people.  If you gave yourself the chance to get to know some Americans you may find some more wonderful friends. 

And give my regards to Tower Bridge!! 

It seems your having a hard time. Some people don't understand how irrational fear can be. I feel for you. Let me tell you about mt fear. I've been overweight most of my life, but 2 years ago I lost 70 lbs. That's when the fear hit. People started noticing how good I was looking and I became terrified of MEN. I know this comes from childhood sexual abuse, and that none of these men had done anything to me, but that didn't change the fact that I was terrified to go to the grocery store, and any other place men might be. Well, It didn't take long to gain the weight back, and now I'm not afraid anymore, but I know it's still there, deep down. This also makes me afraid to loose weight for fear of being raped again. I am now trying to loose weight again, and now that I know the fear is there, I am determined to deal with it differantly than the last time. Fear is irrational, and though you know it doesn't make sense, it doesn't change the fact that you are still afraid. We have to deel with the root cause. Be strong and get help if you need it. It is the weak that would rather suffer in misery than seek help. And that goes for me too. 

April 11, 2006, 8:34 am CDT

I laugh TOO

Quote From: trevindale

Okay, I can laugh at this because I think the 'zombie' thing is silly, but deep down I have the same irrational fear. For me, it's the vague 'thing' that wants to hurt me. I blame it on reading too much Stephen King at a young age, but it's really not his fault. I have this crazy 'If you think about it too much it'll get you' mentality, and it truely freaks me out sometimes. For example, when I'm blow-drying my hair, I'm constantly (a) looking in the mirror (for the ghosts behind me that I can ONLY see in the mirror), (b) checking the bathroom door for the evil comiong to get me, (c) eyeballing the sink drain for the 'finger from hell' and god forbid I've left the toilet seat up. Let's not even talk about what's behind the shower door... thank goodness for the semi-see-thru plastic! When my heart begins to race, I tell myself that if I freak out, they will come. The bad things only get you if you let them, after all. I know this is completely irrational, yet it still gets my adrenaline flowing. And the strangest thing? My guy goes out of town EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND and *gasp* I have absolutely NO PROBLEM going to sleep in my dark (and spooky) bedroom when he's gone! I can totally sympathize with your 'rationale' that if you turn on the lights the zombies will be visible and therefore able to attack. And all I've got to say is... what's WRONG with us? :)  

-Sympathetic and there with ya! 

It used to be this amouphous thing, disimbodied, slimey clawed hands form under the bed.  

But then my now ex-boyfriend dragged me to see the new DAWN OF THE DEAD, it was so disturbing that ever since then, it has been zombies that freak me out. I;ve even tried to desesitize my self by watching zombie movies, it doesn't work. 

I do sleep better with my guy there, but id I get up at night, they follow me. 

Also, if I move or spend the night at a different place, it takes them a few days to find me.  

April 11, 2006, 8:40 am CDT

Go For It

Quote From: mariam42

i had a dream to be a writer since my childhood, i wrote a short story but my friend said that is not so good, it was my only dream that i have in my life, but after my friend's opinion i do not write anymore. i'm afraid that someday i will die without realizing that dream, i'm afraid that i will never be successful as my two brothers and sisters, i'm afraid of being a burden to my family

Don't let one person's opinion stop you, it was your first try. I took some writing classes in college, one of my proffesors had a saying "revise, revise, revise" 

Ask your friend what wasn't so good. Maybe the genra just wasn't her thing. Maybe you just need some polish or some more detail, maybe you need less detail.  

IF all else fails, try again. Take a writting clinic at the local comunity college.  

As to being a burden, writters have to have something to write about. Get a job that isn't too demanding and then use the oppotunity to watch people, listen to the way they talk, and then apply that to the dialog in your novel.   

Try short storied and then submitt them. 

Good luck, and don't let one poor opinion get you so down. 

April 11, 2006, 8:51 am CDT

Fear of Rejection

Quote From: mariam42

i had a dream to be a writer since my childhood, i wrote a short story but my friend said that is not so good, it was my only dream that i have in my life, but after my friend's opinion i do not write anymore. i'm afraid that someday i will die without realizing that dream, i'm afraid that i will never be successful as my two brothers and sisters, i'm afraid of being a burden to my family

Some of the most successful people in the world had failed many times in their fields before they achieved success.  Einstein could not make change from a dollar but obviously he was a genius.  Success is built upon failure, criticism and rejection.  It's the way you learn and develop your skills.  You should not give up your dream of writing.   I've had all of my short stories rejected (well, the ones I have submitted for publication).  But I haven't given up.   

Also, the exercise of going through rejection and criticism is what makes us stronger, helps us develop a thicker skin, and often the critical feedback is relevant and useful and helps us to work smarter.  Keep going with what you love.   

April 11, 2006, 9:04 am CDT

Fear of Zombies

Quote From: alleyg

It used to be this amouphous thing, disimbodied, slimey clawed hands form under the bed.  

But then my now ex-boyfriend dragged me to see the new DAWN OF THE DEAD, it was so disturbing that ever since then, it has been zombies that freak me out. I;ve even tried to desesitize my self by watching zombie movies, it doesn't work. 

I do sleep better with my guy there, but id I get up at night, they follow me. 

Also, if I move or spend the night at a different place, it takes them a few days to find me.  

I read the story board for the show today; I'm looking forward to seeing it.  I think Dr. Phil says there is only ONE fear.  And that is lack of control.  The fears just manifest in different ways.  For example, this thing on zombies.  I LOVE zombie movies and have seen every zombie movie in the book.  I don't know if you've seen "Shaun of the Dead", but it's a pretty comedic take on the zombie genre.  Okay, I'm weird, but zombie movies comfort me.   

It's spiders and other large insects that freak me out.  Since our house is a "no kill zone", I have to somehow "trap" everything that crawls and relocate them outside.  I'm perfectly okay with reptiles including large snakes.  While hiking, I prod rattlesnakes off the trail so they aren't run over by the mountain bikers.  I have spotted about seven tarantulas while hiking and I even try to move them off the trail so the bikes don't hit them.   

April 11, 2006, 9:21 am CDT

Doctor Phil Show.

Dear Doctor Phil. My fear is dark when light go out and I cannot see anything at all. But I learn not to 

be afraid at all because when I was a little I use to be afraid of dark or when electricty go out and----\beable to see inthe dark. See you today at 03:00 P.M. To 04:00 P.M. On Tuesday April 11th, 2006.-- 

What do you think of that Doctor Phil? Please tell Robin hi for me. Well I had better close now.-------- 

Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last