Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 11, 2006, 12:15 pm CDT

Heights

I too love roller coasters, and going up in highrise buildings. Yet if I just stand there and look down, I feel like I'm going to pass out, and my heart starts pounding. But I always make myself look down. I also have problems with big crowds of people. I get panicked, like they are too close to me and sometimes end up hyperventilating. I did that in a club in Laughlin once, and paramedics had to come get me. Not fun.

April 11, 2006, 12:18 pm CDT

SPIDERS!!

I do not do spiders!  I have the worst phobia of them its unbelievable!  My husband gets very annoyed when I call him from a dead sleep to kill something that I can barely see, but I cant help it, I get so anxious that I feel faint and start sweating.  Just talking about them is starting to make the hair on my arms stand up!  I have tried everything to overcome it, even forcing myself to pick them up but all it does is FREAK me out even more and I will dream (more like have nighmares!) about them for weeks on end.  Dr. Phil help!

April 11, 2006, 12:19 pm CDT

My Sister

Quote From: angelhi06

Im so scared of spiders and insects
I can understand this. My sister is like that. My daughter once put a lady bug on her and she started screaming and running, and beating herself to kill the bug! We thought it was kinda funny since my daughter had no idea she was scared of lady bugs, and was just trying to be nice. One time she saw a black widow under my counter, and almost deafened me screaming so loud. My neighbors came out to see what happened! So we always make sure we warn her of any bugs in the vicinty before she sees them, just so we don't lose our hearing.

April 11, 2006, 12:22 pm CDT

I realy don't see the problem

Every has a fear of something.  As long as its not debilitating is it really a problem? I have a fear of anything in masquerade (e.g.anything in full costume, clowns, stilt walkers, etc all) .  I think there is anything wrong with that. 

April 11, 2006, 12:29 pm CDT

My fears

Well here are my fears..... 

I'm scared of coyotes/wolves- Just hearing them howling makes me freeze up. I know they can't hurt me but that doesn't stop me from getting freaked out. 

I'm scared of the dark- you never know what's hiding in the shadows! 

I'm scared of open spaces/open water- I will not get in a lake b/c I get nervous and anxious. I think this is b/c I almost drowned when I was 4 even though that was in a pool. As for the open spaces....I can't say why I'm freaked out by that. That's a whole other can of worms. 

April 11, 2006, 12:49 pm CDT

Fear of Buttons

My 7 year old daughter has an extreme fear of BUTTONS! She has been this way since she could talk (around 12 months). She will not wear anything with buttons on it. I have to remove buttons from her clothes and toys. She will not hug me if I am wearing buttons on the front of my shirt. She will not even play bingo at school because they use buttons to mark the bingo cards, she would rather watch the others play. I thought she would "out-grow" this fear, but last week I finally decided she needed to get professional help for her fear. She will begin desensorization  soon. Hopefully, this will help. 

April 11, 2006, 1:11 pm CDT

wow

I am so excited that i watched this show today. I have been terrified of cotton balls my entire life and everyone always thought I was crazy. It makes me feel sooo much better to know that there is at least one more person in the world that is scared of them as well. You always hear of people being scared of snakes and things like that, but never cotton balls...people could never understand why I was scared of them, or why I needed to avoid them when I went shopping. But everything that this woman said on the show today about cotton balls, is the same exact way that I feel about them.

April 11, 2006, 1:26 pm CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

I think that it would be neat if all of us Dr. Phil Fans met somewhere in States and we would have a "Get Over Your Fear of America" Party in my honour.  I'd come.

April 11, 2006, 1:27 pm CDT

Fears

Dr Phil, that was so mean making her watch what "you" think is nothing. Your cutting off your foot in Scarey Movie 4. I watched to help get over my fears but all it did was make me physically sick to my stomach. I know it was make believe but 30 minutes later I am still physically sick. 

When I was little we watched the spooky movies every saturday at a friends house. That was in the 60's so they were mild compared to today's standards. I watched one when a hand came up over the back of the car seat and administered alcohol into the driver of the car. At 50 I still check the backseat before I get into my car. I handled everything until then.  

My husband used to tease me mercilessly by sneaking his hand up my back.  He thought it was funny.  I didn't!!!  Just like today I DO NOT watch scarey movies even though I know how movies are made.  They literally make me physically sick to my stomach.  And to top it off, I am a critical care nurse - go figure! 

I could never and would never go see Scarey Movie 4 if I was sent free.  Why would you make someone else see it when they told you how much it troubled them? I think that move was insensitive on your part. And this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you!!!!  Realize some of us have real fears that we live with whether rational or not.   Dusty in Texas 

April 11, 2006, 1:30 pm CDT

Fear of Vomit

I know this sounds really strange, but I'm wondering if anyone else has a phobia like this.  I become so afraid that somebody may vomit in front of me and I become immobilized by this fear.  I hesitate to go into a public bathroom for fear someone may be sick in there.  I'm very afraid to be in an elevator especially with children.  I'm always afraid someone will throw-up and I won't be able to get out fast enough.  If I see a car pull off the side, I freak out and think someone is going to throw up.  When my husband or kids are sick, I want to move out.    I'd love to know if anyone else has ever had a fear like this.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last