Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 9, 2006, 10:59 pm CDT

I'm afraid of...

Earthquakes.  I have lived in California and earthquake country all my life and have been through many, but the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 scared me to death.  It was a 7.1 and they say it lasted 15 seconds but with all the aftershocks we shook all night.  I was all along and it was pitch black, no electricity.  I had just moved into this apartment and didn't know anyone.  The phones didn't work and all I could here were sirens and cars trying to get home.  It happened during rush hour.  It's something I won't ever get over and it's been 15 years and if a big truck goes by and shakes the house or anything shakes I almost have a heart attack.  Fear is a terrible thing. 

The other thing I'm, well not so much afraid of, uncomfortable around is any one in a costume of any kind.  I don't like clowns, or theme park characters, and I hate Halloween and I won't open the door or hand out candy.  I don't know where the fear came from but I'm 54 years old and I still hate these creatures. 

April 10, 2006, 5:08 am CDT

my fear

Quote From: elffie

I know this may sound very weird or even crazy to some, but I believe that some fears we have in this life may be caused from a previous one.  Your fear about being buried alive may as well could have happened before.  I know, I know it sounds weird, but I do believe this.  I had a fear of childbirth and I still have one of heights and I think something may have happened in a past life to make me this way. 

Now, for those people who have fears of people in costume or ice cream, well....now that's crazy!  LOL 

I'm not sure that i believe in past lives. i have gave that some thought as well. but even if i did that don't help this one any. lol...i try not to think about it but i just  know I'm gonna wake up...lol 

April 10, 2006, 6:44 am CDT

My fear

My fear is of clowns.  Every since I was a kid I have never been able to be around them with their painted on smiles.  Even to this day, when a clown gets close to me I start feeling weak in the knees and can't breathe.  I don't think this is to weird because I have heard of others having this fear.

April 10, 2006, 7:09 am CDT

fear

My fear is FLYING! I immediately think I am going to die in a fiery inferno and never see my kids again. I know it is irrational as statistically it is safer to fly than drive but I can not help it. I have to take medicine to be able to fly--It is awful

April 10, 2006, 9:57 am CDT

not crazy

Quote From: cassie2_5

It is crazy but I am afraid (terrified) of small animals like hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs etc.    Lucky for me my kids have not brought one home !!!    I can not explain it but I am  very afraid of these type of animals.   I am afraid of mice and of course rats but I just do not know why the fear of domestic rodents.    Family friends of ours love to let their hamsters run around when we are over there to watch my cry and shake.   I am ashamed to admit this as mother of two. 

I think it is wrong for some one to play on your fears.. No matter how silly they can sound to others they are real  think yours is bad read mine...being scared that you are gonna be buried alive one day...now that is just stupid.. I'm not dumb I know it can't happen.. the next time they let those nasty creatures run lose just to see your pain  picture your self stomping on there little beady eyed heads.. maybe then you will at least be able to smile..do not be ashamed i think  your fear is normal, mine on the other hand is not. I know I'm the only nut out there scared of the coffin closing and waking up..it has me nervous just thinking about it..i will trade you fears...LOL.... 

April 10, 2006, 12:23 pm CDT

I appologize to America

First of all, I'd like to appologize.  I have a very silly fear.  I'm scared of America and Americans.  Sorry, Americans.  I feel like a Freak.

April 10, 2006, 2:04 pm CDT

I am curious why???

Quote From: kinksfan

First of all, I'd like to appologize.  I have a very silly fear.  I'm scared of America and Americans.  Sorry, Americans.  I feel like a Freak.

There must be a reason for your fear of America and Americans.  Just curious as to what it is.  From your picture, you appear to be  from the U.K.   Gotta say, I love your country!!!!! 

From an American Friend!!! 

April 10, 2006, 2:06 pm CDT

i used to have that fear

Quote From: msnacn

My fear is FLYING! I immediately think I am going to die in a fiery inferno and never see my kids again. I know it is irrational as statistically it is safer to fly than drive but I can not help it. I have to take medicine to be able to fly--It is awful
i wouldn't get on a plane for many years.  I always felt claustrophobic.  I got over it by trying a short trip (1 and a half hours) Once I saw I could handle it, I became okay about flying and now will go anywhere!!!!

April 10, 2006, 2:15 pm CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Quote From: kinksfan

Well i take it you do not live in America

April 10, 2006, 5:58 pm CDT

What Scares You

Quote From: elffie

I know this may sound very weird or even crazy to some, but I believe that some fears we have in this life may be caused from a previous one.  Your fear about being buried alive may as well could have happened before.  I know, I know it sounds weird, but I do believe this.  I had a fear of childbirth and I still have one of heights and I think something may have happened in a past life to make me this way. 

Now, for those people who have fears of people in costume or ice cream, well....now that's crazy!  LOL 

I think you are absolutely correct, and NOT weird or crazy at all,  about fears generating from perhaps a previous life.   

For whatever it's worth,  my two biggest fears are burning and falling.   And I don't even know why.  Falling and heights is my largest fear followed by being burned in a fire.  So that is why the 9/11 events at the World Trade Center affected me so deeply.  Because those people were so between a rock and a hard place, having to choose between two of the worst ways to go.   

I have been on these  message boards a lot.  I think the older you get, the less scared you are about how death occurs.  Earthquakes, fires, childhood fears of ghosts, buried alive (claustrophobia -- one of my BIG ones), drowning, etc.   

On the other hand, I have been such a big fan of horror over my whole life.  Movies and books, I eat them up big time.  Stephen King, Dean Koontz, the movies ranging from . .  eh, I don't know . . . 50's science fiction ("Them") to present day horror like "The Grudge".    .  I loved "Saw" (in which Dr. Phil parodies in his "big screen" debut  Scary Movie 4".  I can't wait to see it.  Go figure.  I just don't like it when it happens for real to real people.     

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last