Message Boards

Topic : 04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Number of Replies: 223
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:06:42 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Your heart starts to pound. You start to shake. You begin to sweat. You feel faint ... What is it that scares the heck out of you? It may seem ridiculous and irrational to others, but fears and phobias can keep you from living life to the fullest. Donna is terrified of scary movies, but her husband really wants to watch them together. Get a sneak preview of Dr. Phil's most recent "scary" experience. Will it lighten Donna's view of horror films? Also, how do you get over a fear of costumed characters, cotton, or aliens? Plus, a celebrity's near-death experience turned his whole life around. What are you afraid of? Tell us.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 10, 2006, 10:49 pm CDT

What are you afraid of??

Quote From: pnl_36

Well i take it you do not live in America

Way I see it you may want to move out of the country.    There are many out there who are afraid of or dislike us.       

I am not happy with this country now.   We have become a crude, violent group of people .     Yet we will stand proud and tall to preserve our right of freedom to be crude and violent, kind and loving or any other way.       For that I will forever thank God and my country. 

April 10, 2006, 11:03 pm CDT

Fear of having relationships with anyone

I have a fear of relationships. Every time a good guy comes into my life, I do or say something to get rid of him. I push people out of my life all the time. What is wrong with me. I dont know why I do that.  As soon as I meet someone and its going good, my mind goes crazy and I do or say the worst things to that person ontell they had enough. I really want a relationship. I have a good heart and I am a caring person but when someone get too close I find someway to end it.  Most times I dont even realize that I am doing it ontell it is to late.  I pretend that I dont care, but I really do and it hurts to that to every good guy that enters into my life. Wha tis my problem? I would like to have some advise to this problem.  Please help me find out what is wrong with me. 

April 11, 2006, 1:30 am CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Quote From: allie44

Way I see it you may want to move out of the country.    There are many out there who are afraid of or dislike us.       

I am not happy with this country now.   We have become a crude, violent group of people .     Yet we will stand proud and tall to preserve our right of freedom to be crude and violent, kind and loving or any other way.       For that I will forever thank God and my country. 

Yeah, I'm not nuts about our country right now either but I believe things will sway eventually...not sure still exactly what there is to be fearful of, Americans aren't all alike...LOL not by a LONG SHOT!

April 11, 2006, 2:45 am CDT

Afraid of paranormal

Ok, the lady is afraid to go to the beach because of Jaws. Shark attacks do happen. I stay out of the ocean. As with "Cujo", that would be a nightmare if a 200lb rabid St. Bernard comes after you, but Rabies is a highly preventable disease. In fact, we all know that it is a law that our dogs and cats are vaccinated every year. It costs less than $25 a year for the vaccine. As for me, I believe in ghosts, though luckily, I haven't personally seen one (don't want to, either). I would never sleep if I ever did. My next fear is a definite fear of falling. I don't like heights.I do not have a degree as maintenance or an electrician and I was mortified when my job as a Custodian required me to get on a ladder and change flourescent bulbs. I also think those things are dangerous. If I don't get electrocuted and fall they could burst in my hands. They are very fragile and I don't care how safe they claim they are, these bulbs are filled with a type of gas that causes them to burst easily. I am afraid of spiders.

April 11, 2006, 4:00 am CDT

04/11 What Are You Afraid Of?

Quote From: kinksfan

Before I get into any more Hot Water with anybody else in North America, let me explain myself a little more.  I was born in Canada.  I feel British.  In fact, I feel like a Londoner who's trapped in a Canadian Body.  I'll explain my Past to teach everyone.  And I'm not looking for Pity.  I'm going to be bluntly honest.  I was picked on by a handfull of Americans who've made jibes about my Cockney Accent and my distinguished Body Language.  Even by my own Cousin, exactly a year after my Parents were telling me not to talk through my Nose.  You can all call my silly, if you want, but this is my Matrix.  My Reality.  I'm working on ridding myself of my Pathological Fear.  I'm even close friends with an American and to me, that's a Mammoth accomplishment.  I don't want Pity, I just want a chance to speak my Mind.

I am an American, and for the record, I happen to love the wonderful city of London.  I have been there twice and am starting to plan my next visit. Why did I mention that?  It is because I, an American have found a common ground with you.   If I ran into you, we would probably have a lovely conversation about what a great place London is. That is, if you could get past your feelings about Americans and talk to me in the first place!!!  Yes, you had a bad experience with A FEW people who happened to be Americans.  But it is so unfair to judge a population of 300 million people by the rude actions of a few.  I have been fortunate to have many frineds in my lifetime-caucasian, African-American, Hispanic, Asian to name a few.  That is because I choose friends based on their inner qualities and don't reject someone because they have different origins than I do.  And I would have missed out on so many good things if I hadn't had these varied friendships. 

So, in essence, please don't judge an entire country of people based on a few nasty people.  If you gave yourself the chance to get to know some Americans you may find some more wonderful friends. 

And give my regards to Tower Bridge!! 

April 11, 2006, 4:39 am CDT

are they really friends??

Quote From: cassie2_5

It is crazy but I am afraid (terrified) of small animals like hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs etc.    Lucky for me my kids have not brought one home !!!    I can not explain it but I am  very afraid of these type of animals.   I am afraid of mice and of course rats but I just do not know why the fear of domestic rodents.    Family friends of ours love to let their hamsters run around when we are over there to watch my cry and shake.   I am ashamed to admit this as mother of two. 

Personally I think it is cruel that your "friends" let their hamsters run around when you are there knowing that you fear them.  And even worse that they amuse themselves with your reaction-crying and shaking.  Are these people truly your friends? While they may not be afraid of rodents, it is a very real fear for you and they shouldn't joke about it.  How would they like it if you tossed a snake (or whatever else they are afraid of) onto your living room floor when they come over?

April 11, 2006, 5:57 am CDT

my dream

i had a dream to be a writer since my childhood, i wrote a short story but my friend said that is not so good, it was my only dream that i have in my life, but after my friend's opinion i do not write anymore. i'm afraid that someday i will die without realizing that dream, i'm afraid that i will never be successful as my two brothers and sisters, i'm afraid of being a burden to my family

April 11, 2006, 6:19 am CDT

Not by a long shot!

Quote From: buckleypat

I used to hate to fly.  I think it has to do with being out of our "comfort zone".  I'd get on that concourse and want to flee.  Once I started taking regular trips to Sacramento, I realized it was the same as getting on a bus.  I think it's the thing in us that realizes we lack control.   

No it is not the same as getting on a bus. 

Let me start by saying I am making this post as someone who has a fear of flying, but I have good reason too... 

I am the kind of plane crash survivor that is usually not talked about too much unless they are hurt or killed.... 

I was an on the ground bystander to a major plane crash in the 1980's. 

Since that incident I have studied as many plane crashes that I can when I hear about them on the news. I compare them to accidents involving other mass travel transportation vehicles.  Trains, buses, and cruise ships.  Here are my findings... 

small planes:  I seem to hear about one of these crashing every other week in my area. Usually with fatal results.  But I have also heard that parachutes designed to lessen the planes crashing impact have been tested with some good results.  Lets hope they can work on all planes. 

large commercial planes/airliners:  On Jetliners with 200 or so people, if a crash happens and there are survivors I am suprised.   Oddly enough, your plane doesn't even have to be off the ground for you to be in great danger.   Runway accidents often don't make news if no one was hurt. But in a recent 3 year study of American runway accident s Los Angeles airport had the most with 33. That is almost an accident a month. 

Trains: Compaired to planes, train accidents barely even register even when they make the news.  Almost all Am Trak accidents that I can recall had less than 10 fatalities, and often the fatalities are train employees. The worst that I know of had a death toll in the 30's or 40's because the train derailed off a bridge traping and drowning people in their cars.  Passengers may be able to increase their safety depending on which car they stay in. 

buses: I rarely hear about Greyhound bus accidents, and I don't know why that is. Maybe they are so common, like a regular car accident.  I do hear of crashes involving tour groups,bands, classes, teams, and so forth with varying degrees of injuries and fatalties.  But I don't recall any stories about  all passengers on a bus perishing, as with planes. 

cruise ships:  As far as I know it is unlikely there will be another Titanic. I think all cruise ships are required to have adequate life boat supplies, and of course there is better communication with the mainland now a days.  But there seems to be more and more reports of people disapearing on cruises.  I think it is important to .... 

1.  If possible stay away from the deck/railing area, especially late at night when no one is around 

2.  go on the cruise with a companion, and keep track of eachother 

3.   limit your drinking 

4. be careful in your interactions with other passengers and staff 

5. lock your cabin door, don't go to a strangers cabin, don't invite a stranger into yours 

6.  make arrangements to call a friend or family member every day you are away. 

April 11, 2006, 6:29 am CDT

clowns

I am a 26 year old that is afraid of CLOWNS! Every since i was Little. Now when i take my children out and we see a clown i go the other way. Why am i so scared of them? Maybe something happen in my past I don't know. but that 's what i am afraid of CLOWNS!!!!

April 11, 2006, 7:02 am CDT

Greatest fear?

Life. Living life to the fullest. Investing in that. 

And bugs. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last