Message Boards

Topic : 04/12 Dangerous Love

Number of Replies: 594
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:09:03 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
If two people are truly in love, does anyone have the right to judge them? What if their relationship crosses moral boundaries? Jeremy, 16, is disturbed that his 45-year-old father, Chuck, is engaged to a 17-year-old girl who used to be his classmate. Chuck says he wants to spend the rest of his life with Michelle. The constant fighting in the house led to Jeremy moving out. Why did Michelle's mom allow her daughter to move in with Chuck? Did Chuck mislead her? See what Dr. Phil tells these parents they must do. Then, Angela is repulsed that her brother, Anthony, wants to marry their second cousin, Tosha. Anthony says he loves Tosha and nothing's going to stop their relationship from moving forward. Does Angela have a legitimate reason to be concerned? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 8, 2006, 9:47 pm CDT

i married my 2nd cousin

i would like to know if anyone has a problem with cousins getting married?. we have known eachother for so long that we know how each other feels about all things.. i love my husband and we have a wonderful little girl together

April 9, 2006, 1:07 pm CDT

Cousins and Marriage

Quote From: clsnyd1

i would like to know if anyone has a problem with cousins getting married?. we have known eachother for so long that we know how each other feels about all things.. i love my husband and we have a wonderful little girl together
I would say that the biggest concern with relatives getting married would be the health of any children.  There is a higher chance of children produced by relatives having some sort of genetic problem than children produced by people with different genomes.  Morally, I personally have very few problems with cousins marrying.  Immediate family is different.

April 9, 2006, 1:15 pm CDT

WAKE UP

About the story with Chuck, I thought I heard it all but this goes way beyond border line. It's down right criminal.... a 45 year old guy marring a MINOR.... A MINOR!!!! people WAKE UP and smell the coffee!!!!!! If Chuck says he is in love with a 17 year old girl, he better live up to his word cause he'll be in serious troble.

April 9, 2006, 8:33 pm CDT

Wrong

NO it is wrong to marry a cousin yeah even thu it is 2cn cousin it is still wrong im srry but im totaly againts it i think angela is right about her brother and cousin

April 9, 2006, 9:47 pm CDT

04/12 Dangerous Love

I am wondering if you and your husband are indeed cousins and what "kind" of cousins...are you first or second cousins?  WIth so many divorces and remarriages it can get  complicated sometimes to figure out if you are truly related by blood .  Are you related by blood, if you are NOT related by blood the following really would not apply to you. 

My personal concern would definiately be if children were to be born to first cousins  then there is the  risk of increased birth defects due to sharing of too much genetic material...some people would refer to in as inbreeding  ( a rather crude term) but recongizable to most people for what it is. 

Along with those risks to consider is when people who divorce who are closely related it can really tear the larger family apart and if people start picking sides as to who is at fault for the divorce...well that would get really messy and ugly quickly. 

April 9, 2006, 10:21 pm CDT

I haven't even watched this yet & Chuck makes me want to UpChuck.

This isn't about true love, it's about pedophilia.  If by some miracle they're still together by the time the girl's in her mid 20s, Chuck will probably dump her for another teen. 

Re. the girl, at 17 her brain's not even fully developed.  She's in no position to make such an important decision such as marriage.   Chuck will probably make sure she gets pregnant to lock her into a dependency with him.  And say by some anamoly they stay together until she's Chuck's age.  She'll be with a 73 year-old guy.  Bet Chuck would never go near a 73 year-old woman, much less someone his own age or even a few years younger.     

Judging by the pic, Chuck's an old looking 45.  God forbid he would want to date women his own age. 

Emote = Disgusted. 

April 10, 2006, 7:05 am CDT

WTF????

Wow is almost all I can get out! A 45 Year old man has no business with a 17 yr old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a perverted freak-here in the US we have a name for people like you Chuck----CHILD MOLESTER. About marrying your 2nd cousin-EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW. I'm sorry but there are just too many people in the world to have to look in your own gene pool. Let's get real here people. Your poor kids will have to suffer far more than WV jokes in school-Why don't people think about what they do? It does affect more than just you when you have kids.

April 10, 2006, 7:18 am CDT

cusin's together

I have a problem with cousin's getting married. It is sick. There is a difference in family and someone you could spend the rest of your life together with. If they have children together something could be wrong with that child. Don't anyone read the bible.

April 10, 2006, 7:21 am CDT

Cousins

Quote From: alpha12

I would say that the biggest concern with relatives getting married would be the health of any children.  There is a higher chance of children produced by relatives having some sort of genetic problem than children produced by people with different genomes.  Morally, I personally have very few problems with cousins marrying.  Immediate family is different.
Family is family. It does not matter what they are.

April 10, 2006, 10:33 am CDT

Nope, it's wrong on SO many levels

Maybe in this couple's state getting married at the age of 17 is legal. 

Marrying your cousin is taboo in many cultures, and genetically it can cause severe problems if this couple desires children. 

Getting married at the age of 17 is too young to fully appreciate/undertand the committment and challenges of marriage.  Even if she loves him, she should consider that some day he will be elderly and as a relatively young woman will have spent the majority of her life being a caretaker and not a companion.   

Just because you love someone does not mean you SHOULD marry them. They may not be the most compatible person for you. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last