Message Boards

Topic : 07/26 The Dr. Phil Foundation Helping Kids

Number of Replies: 153
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:15:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/14/06) The McGraw family and The Dr. Phil Foundation share a passion for supporting children in need and those in foster care. Meet some wonderful people who've opened their hearts and their wallets to help underprivileged children across the nation. Elaine is a 35-year-old single mother who has been a foster mom to over 50 kids. Her mission is to give unconditional love and support to every child who shows up on her doorstep, especially the hard-to-place children. She founded TYME ministries, an organization dedicated to meeting the needs of disadvantaged youth. See the amazing surprises Dr. Phil and Robin have for Elaine! Then, Zakiya recently became too old to qualify for foster care, and is desperate for a support network to help her stay on her feet. Plus, an inner-city teen sings the blues because her school's music program doesn't have the resources to help her reach her goals. Dr. Phil introduces her to someone who wants to help her become the shining star she was born to be. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 14, 2006, 10:23 am CDT

Support Camp To Belong in its mission to reunite siblings who have been separated in out of home placements!

Congratulations Lynn Price for today's show on Dr. Phil.  The work you do to support kids in care is amazing. I urge everyone to check out this wonderful organization at http://www.camptobelong.org

Of the more than 600,000 kids living in foster care in the United States, 75% are separated from at least one sibling.  Camp To Belong’s primary goal is to provide a sense of belonging to youth as individuals, and as siblings, giving them opportunities to share childhood memories together and among other youth in the same situations.

Camp To Belong was founded by Lynn Price. Lynn's childhood experience in foster care separated from her older sister, Andi Andree, inspired her to create the organization. Camp To Belong and Lynn have received numerous accolades including the Points of Light President's Service Award, CBS Morning Show American Hero, L'eggs Hosiery Women Who Shape Our World honor, Oprah Winfrey's Angel Network Use Your Life Award, Redbook Magazine’s Mother and Shaker of the Year honor.

“Siblings are the longest relationships we have in life, most often times surpassing the parent-child relationship. Camp To Belong provides the opportunity to forge that sibling bond and create childhood memories together,” explains Lynn Price. “Sharing the mutual passion to enhance the lives of siblings separated in foster care with our partners, volunteers and campers is gratifying.”

Camp To Belong is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization dedicated to reuniting brothers and sisters placed in separate foster homes or other out of home care.  Recognized by the Points of Lights President's Service Award by Bill Clinton and Use Your Life Award by Oprah Winfrey, Camp To Belong is the leader in sibling connection summer camp programs for youth in the U.S., Canada and the Virgin Islands. Year round activities feature new legislation regarding sibling placement and visitation, increased recruitment of foster and adoptive families who embrace siblings and enhanced best practice among child welfare professionals.

For information, go to www.camptobelong.org <http://www.camptobelong.org> , 1-888-7BELONG.

April 14, 2006, 11:11 am CDT

DoctorFoundation Phil Show.

Dear Doctor Foundation Phil Staff. I belive that kids now a days need a Foster Mother instead of- real Mother who do not want kids to grow in a real world. Now that is two bad for Mother donot---

want to take care of kids aswell. I will see you today at 03:00 P.M. To 04:00 P.M. Well I had bette-

r close now.  Sincerley Your. Russell Vlaanderen.---------------------------------------------------------------

April 14, 2006, 12:07 pm CDT

Just curious...

Can someone please explain to me the benefits of separating siblings in foster care? I don't get it at all; I would think that keeping the kids together (barring abuse) would be more beneficial emotionally and psychologically than placing them in separate homes.

April 14, 2006, 12:38 pm CDT

From Elaine on todays show

i just wanted to take a moment to thank Robin and Dr. Phil from the bottom of my heart for having me on the show.  i want you to know that it is hard always giving and giving...its nice to receive sometimes as well....in fact the week before i got the call from the show i was feeling very down and cried a lot because i was thinking i would have to give up my program....financially i just wasn't able to continue...then i got the call from the Dr. Phil show and it was a Godsend it gave me hope and let me know God is still in control and he still wants me to help kids...

So i truly thank you from the bottom of my heart

if there are any aging out youth out there or disadvantaged you who need help....you can learn more about my program at www.itsmytyme.com  

for anyone who wants to be a foster/adoptive parent you can reach me at the above or visit www.fostercaremonth.org for more info. 

and Zakiya i am proud of you girl....and we are here for you......Much Love Elaine

April 14, 2006, 1:01 pm CDT

Oops-local station switched episode mid-show

Terrific show...for the first 40 minutes after which our local NBC station inexplicably interrupted it with the last 20 minutes of yesterday's episode. At least I think it was the local station. If it was the network, NBC has some 'splainin' to do. Too bad. Was really looking forward to the last part of the show with the performance from that amazing group that I plan to volunteer for in my home town. - Another winner...thanks again, Dr. Phil.

April 14, 2006, 1:04 pm CDT

Step Up America

Dr Phil,

You have said repeatedly in your shows "Step up and be a hero". I think this is a message for America as a whole. You have the forum and resources to provide recognition and encouragement to motivate a country. America has been in a selfish mode focused on greed and consumption - recognition from the media and society has been given to those with the most 'stuff' and the most 'bling' and the biggest house, etc., etc. The country has resources. You can motivate with recognition to encourage the deployment of these resources to fix the country. The country needs heroes. I applaud you for profiling the good work being done, and suggest that by giving a challenge to the nation you could help promote more good work to be done. Once the country gets a taste of the reward of doing good, it may just become infectuous. More satisfaction from reaching out than by buying that 3rd SUV or mega house.. what do you think?

April 14, 2006, 1:59 pm CDT

i wan to know

i was a foster child i just turned 21 and i have a son who is one i have no idea how i am going to make it my gas and electric keep getting shut off no one wants to hire me cause my son has health problems so where do i sign up for the help even emoial help not money

April 14, 2006, 2:02 pm CDT

04/14 The Dr. Phil Foundation Helping Kids

Quote From: golden1

Can someone please explain to me the benefits of separating siblings in foster care? I don't get it at all; I would think that keeping the kids together (barring abuse) would be more beneficial emotionally and psychologically than placing them in separate homes.

me and my sister were split and i think it did more damage to me losing her than it did being put into foster homes i was younger by 5 years and no one wanted her older

believe me it hurt and its wrong

April 14, 2006, 2:05 pm CDT

?

how come mine are not posting?

April 14, 2006, 2:13 pm CDT

Elaine

OMG!!! I LOVE you Elaine, you are my hero and please don't take that lightly!! You are beautiful, wonderful, inspirational and just plain BEAUTIFUL. Please keep up the good work my inspiration!!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last