Message Boards

Topic : 07/26 The Dr. Phil Foundation Helping Kids

Number of Replies: 153
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:15:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/14/06) The McGraw family and The Dr. Phil Foundation share a passion for supporting children in need and those in foster care. Meet some wonderful people who've opened their hearts and their wallets to help underprivileged children across the nation. Elaine is a 35-year-old single mother who has been a foster mom to over 50 kids. Her mission is to give unconditional love and support to every child who shows up on her doorstep, especially the hard-to-place children. She founded TYME ministries, an organization dedicated to meeting the needs of disadvantaged youth. See the amazing surprises Dr. Phil and Robin have for Elaine! Then, Zakiya recently became too old to qualify for foster care, and is desperate for a support network to help her stay on her feet. Plus, an inner-city teen sings the blues because her school's music program doesn't have the resources to help her reach her goals. Dr. Phil introduces her to someone who wants to help her become the shining star she was born to be. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 14, 2006, 2:18 pm CDT

aging out

aging out of the foster care system is a HUGE issue.  once foster kids age out, sooo many of their resources are cut off.  they literally leave their foster home and are out on the streets.  they dont have any resources (medical, financial, job training, etc). 

as a project for one of my social work classes, we put together a resource guide for kids aging out of the foster care system in our county.  topics include health services, mental health, sexual education, life skills programs, school-to-work programs, developmentally disabled programs, higher education, transporation, housing, food, and information and resources for foster parents.  once we had the books printed, we gave them to case managers, foster parents, and school counselors. 

i think it would be wonderful for people in other cities/counties/states to do this.  children aging out really need all the help they can get.  we cant just drop them the minute they turn 18 (or 21). 

April 14, 2006, 2:22 pm CDT

04/14 The Dr. Phil Foundation Helping Kids

Everytime I see shows on foster children, my heart seriously aches.  We have always wanted to be foster parents, but we do not have the room in our very small home.  It's so frustrating because we have so much love and stability to offer.  We are working towards a long term goal of having a large enough home to be able to open it up to children.  In the meantime we started a program to help children overcome adversity through literature.  I am very grateful to foundations like the one Dr. Phil has to bless these very deserving children.  Thank you for being so giving to these kids!

April 14, 2006, 2:25 pm CDT

Zakiya On Your Own

April 14, 2006, 2:39 pm CDT

great show Dr. Phil and Robin

I watched todays show and really enjoyed it. I wish I had the extra money to contribute to the foundation but I don't.  However Dr. Phil I think you misspoke when you mentioned the college Jordan attends.  I thought he was going to SMU here in Texas not USC in California. I watched the show where you and Robin traveled to Texas to settle Jordan in at SMU.  Continued luck with the foundation and all the marvelous work. And thanks for caring for the ones that might slip through the cracks otherwise.

Turkeybaby

April 14, 2006, 2:42 pm CDT

Zakiya On Your Own

Idenify with Zakiya so much and felt her pain.  I'm from Toronto, Canada and had a similiar childhood being in and out of several foster homes from time of birth to age 18.  Have never known any blood relatives.  I also felt as a kid very ashamed of being a foster child and have never been able to overcome this shame as an adulthood and am not in my 40's.  I've always thought I

was no good as didn't get adopted by anyone.  Have suffered from low self-esteem all my life and have other emotional difficulties.  Have lot of problems trusting people and am overy sensitive to

rejection and abandoment.  Had lots of therapy as young adult but my past was never discussed by many physiatrists had.  Have a  lot of anger and they can't deal with that and usually fired me. I also ended up an alcoholic and have been recovering from that for past 10 years with many relapses. Would luv to have Dr. Phil analyse me and offer some help and advice that might help

me have a healthier mental life for what's leff of it.  Glad to see this topic was on so general public

has idea of what foster kids go through and how it affects their lives forever.  Wonder if there's help

for people like us is in feeling like important and wondering who you are as have no identity.

April 14, 2006, 2:48 pm CDT

There still are kind people in the world

I think the woman on todays show who took care of 50 foster children is incredibly kind and generous.

April 14, 2006, 2:49 pm CDT

We Desperatly Need Good Fosterhomes!

Dear Dr. Phil,

I can not express my thanks for today's show! As a fosterparent of more than 100 children for over 16 years it is so nice to get a pat on the back!

All that is ever in the news are the "bad" things that might happen, the negative things. Constantly looked down on as "less than human" because we are "paid" to care for these children. Let me tell you, $17.50 per child per day does not make for a lot of steak at the end of the week. In my state we can have up to 6 children in our home and that INCLUDES our own.

I am so very pleased some our finer Fostermoms are seen and praised for their never ending love and care for children of all colors. All of us struggle everyday to see our kids fed and clothed and do whatever we can get them a few extras from time to time.

Thank you for your help for this fine woman. I too, am a single fostermom, so I know what a precious gift and help you have given her. Loving children is a gift, thank you for saying thankyou!

April 14, 2006, 2:54 pm CDT

Kindness Really Can change the world

If everyone took in foster children, i think this world wud be such a better place. it is so sad how children-all over the world- are treated. starving children in africa and other countries can be very depressing, but when u see a act of kindness, even the smallest gift of words, it can alter someone's life forever. including your own. i think that everyone shud just stop tailgating on the road, stop gossiping, and step back and enjoy life and everyone in it.

April 14, 2006, 2:54 pm CDT

From the bottom of my heart, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote From: emoniq

i just wanted to take a moment to thank Robin and Dr. Phil from the bottom of my heart for having me on the show.  i want you to know that it is hard always giving and giving...its nice to receive sometimes as well....in fact the week before i got the call from the show i was feeling very down and cried a lot because i was thinking i would have to give up my program....financially i just wasn't able to continue...then i got the call from the Dr. Phil show and it was a Godsend it gave me hope and let me know God is still in control and he still wants me to help kids...

So i truly thank you from the bottom of my heart

if there are any aging out youth out there or disadvantaged you who need help....you can learn more about my program at www.itsmytyme.com  

for anyone who wants to be a foster/adoptive parent you can reach me at the above or visit www.fostercaremonth.org for more info. 

and Zakiya i am proud of you girl....and we are here for you......Much Love Elaine

You really are my inspiration. I love you and I will donate whatever I can. Can I donate at your website? You are the core of this counrty.  I want to be like you. YOU are a Godsend.........................

April 14, 2006, 2:55 pm CDT

I am a fostermom too, I just bought a house

Quote From: thraputic

I am a 37 yr old theraputic fostermom since 1998.I have had many kids in and out of my home since.I only have one fosterchild now,but wish to have more.But I live in an apt due to my divorce.So I 'm searching for a new home which can house more than 1 lol.If anyone has any info on financing a home with someone who has had issues in the past feel free to provide some info..thank you
Coldwell Morgage Bankers

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last