Message Boards

Topic : 07/26 The Dr. Phil Foundation Helping Kids

Number of Replies: 153
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:15:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/14/06) The McGraw family and The Dr. Phil Foundation share a passion for supporting children in need and those in foster care. Meet some wonderful people who've opened their hearts and their wallets to help underprivileged children across the nation. Elaine is a 35-year-old single mother who has been a foster mom to over 50 kids. Her mission is to give unconditional love and support to every child who shows up on her doorstep, especially the hard-to-place children. She founded TYME ministries, an organization dedicated to meeting the needs of disadvantaged youth. See the amazing surprises Dr. Phil and Robin have for Elaine! Then, Zakiya recently became too old to qualify for foster care, and is desperate for a support network to help her stay on her feet. Plus, an inner-city teen sings the blues because her school's music program doesn't have the resources to help her reach her goals. Dr. Phil introduces her to someone who wants to help her become the shining star she was born to be. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 14, 2006, 2:56 pm CDT

Thank you

Quote From: lovemonstr

Everytime I see shows on foster children, my heart seriously aches.  We have always wanted to be foster parents, but we do not have the room in our very small home.  It's so frustrating because we have so much love and stability to offer.  We are working towards a long term goal of having a large enough home to be able to open it up to children.  In the meantime we started a program to help children overcome adversity through literature.  I am very grateful to foundations like the one Dr. Phil has to bless these very deserving children.  Thank you for being so giving to these kids!

You make this world a better place...Please let me know what monetary contributions I can make. Ilove people like you

April 14, 2006, 2:59 pm CDT

Thank you Thnk you Thank you

Quote From: cherrioduc

Dear Dr. Phil,

I can not express my thanks for today's show! As a fosterparent of more than 100 children for over 16 years it is so nice to get a pat on the back!

All that is ever in the news are the "bad" things that might happen, the negative things. Constantly looked down on as "less than human" because we are "paid" to care for these children. Let me tell you, $17.50 per child per day does not make for a lot of steak at the end of the week. In my state we can have up to 6 children in our home and that INCLUDES our own.

I am so very pleased some our finer Fostermoms are seen and praised for their never ending love and care for children of all colors. All of us struggle everyday to see our kids fed and clothed and do whatever we can get them a few extras from time to time.

Thank you for your help for this fine woman. I too, am a single fostermom, so I know what a precious gift and help you have given her. Loving children is a gift, thank you for saying thankyou!

I just can not say it enough. People like myslef really appreciate you and do not show it enough, Please let me know what I can do. I want to help

April 14, 2006, 3:05 pm CDT

You ARE special

Quote From: golden1

I will never cease to be amazed at the passion and devotion of those who choose to go out of their way to make life a little better for others. For me, the foster care system was a living hell; the abuse didn't start until I entered the system. Had I not got out when I did, there's no telling where I would be today. It does my heart good to see ordinary people doing extraordinary things for children in foster care. To open one's home, place an arm around a young shoulder and say, "You're special, you're valuable," speaks volumes. I sure wish I had that kind of support system when I was growing up. I'm glad it exists for others.
Your message speaks volumes...Thank you..............................................................

April 14, 2006, 3:05 pm CDT

Horray for Dr. Phil, Robin and the Dr. Phil Foundation

Horray for people like Dr. Phil, Robin and the Dr. Phil Foundation.  Your show today brought tears to my eyes.  I have two children of my own, I am a single parent.  I took on another child when she was 13 and now my three kids are 22, 23 and 25.  I know what a struggle that was, I cannot even imagine what the people on today's show have to struggle with every day, trying to help these kids.  I'm so happy there are people in the world willing to make that sacrifice.  I love most all of the Dr. Phil shows, but the shows that involve helping kids, helping kids that have succeeded in spite of having the deck stacked against them from day one, the shows at Christmastime with the kids, those are my favorite.  Thank you for creating this foundation to help out these kids in need. 

April 14, 2006, 3:06 pm CDT

Great Job Dr. Phil!

As a pre/post adoption and foster care therapist here in Canada, I commerate your caring approach to kids in foster care.  Therapists will not acknowledge adoption or foster care trauma due to the stigma associated with both populations.  As an advocate and educator for both communities, Dr. Phil you are the best for acknowledging the pain associated with being part of the community.  Keep up the great work and thank you for caring!! :)

April 14, 2006, 3:11 pm CDT

I am a single foster parent

I want to say thank you for the show today on foster parents. They do so much, and not a lot is done for the work they do.

Most people think of foster kids and throw away kids, kids that no one wants, or kids that were abondon and have no dreams. These kids are wonderful kids, and have a lot of love and basically look for someone to help, care and love them.

I find it warding to get kids, and one of my dreams was to have a home in which I could take in 10 to 15 kids, but due to working and the amount of space I have for living, I am not able to take in that many.  With a little love, guidence, and care, they kids turn out to be wonderful adults and productive citizens

Thanks,

CDF

April 14, 2006, 3:14 pm CDT

Foster Parenting

WE DESPERATELY NEED GOOD FOSTER HOMES ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!

Please, Take a child into your heart and home! Only homes with enough open spaces can take sibling groups! People keep asking "Why do they split them up?"

BECAUSE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH HOMES AVAILABLE, NOT ENOUGH BEDS! If they called you tomorrow, could you take 3 to 6 children all at the same time? Do you have the space? Even those of us who do foster care rarely have free space or beds, we are FULL all the time!

What about special needs children, very ill children, drug babies, shaken Babies, fire-starters, sexually abused children, pregnant young teens, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are all CHILDREN, they need love and a safe place to fall, they just need ONE person to CARE!

THEY NEED YOU TO CARE ENOUGH!

April 14, 2006, 3:16 pm CDT

DONATE

Please Please Please, Anyone who watched this show donte what you can. I am not a rich woman but I AM the most weathly woman in the world when I give

April 14, 2006, 3:21 pm CDT

Dr. Phil show aired 4/14/06

What an appropriate show for Good Friday.  I don't know the spiritual affiliation of Dr. Phil and Robin, but the help given to all on the show was wonderful and touching.  The concept of the village for children is a concept a fellow nurse and myself discussed 2 yrs ago.  While we didn't know how to accomplish it, I guess our hopes and prayers were answered.  Children, older people and animals go together to make a wonderful complete family.  In some way I could like to be part of this organization.  By the way the other nurse and myself have been part of Child Protective Services where children were placed in Government Foster Care.  GOVERNMENT FOSTER CARE

IS FAILING AT BEST.  Keep up the good work Dr. Phil.

Nurse Ann

April 14, 2006, 3:23 pm CDT

04/14 The Dr. Phil Foundation Helping Kids

Quote From: f3268a

be honored as a credit to our nation!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last