Message Boards

Topic : 07/26 The Dr. Phil Foundation Helping Kids

Number of Replies: 153
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 07, 2006, 10:15:10 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/14/06) The McGraw family and The Dr. Phil Foundation share a passion for supporting children in need and those in foster care. Meet some wonderful people who've opened their hearts and their wallets to help underprivileged children across the nation. Elaine is a 35-year-old single mother who has been a foster mom to over 50 kids. Her mission is to give unconditional love and support to every child who shows up on her doorstep, especially the hard-to-place children. She founded TYME ministries, an organization dedicated to meeting the needs of disadvantaged youth. See the amazing surprises Dr. Phil and Robin have for Elaine! Then, Zakiya recently became too old to qualify for foster care, and is desperate for a support network to help her stay on her feet. Plus, an inner-city teen sings the blues because her school's music program doesn't have the resources to help her reach her goals. Dr. Phil introduces her to someone who wants to help her become the shining star she was born to be. Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 9, 2006, 9:39 am CDT

Helping Others

I think people like the McGraws dont get enough reconigtion for what they do. I know the dont expect it either. They are doing this out of their love for others instead of how most of the world only worry about themselves. I would love to help them but I cant due to health problems but my prayers will be with the. 

April 11, 2006, 7:29 pm CDT

God Bless America!

I know alot of people out there do noteworthy things that aren't in the papers or on tv.  

However, what Dr. Phil and Robin have been doing with this foundation is caring and helping for the sake of kids.  

This is outstanding!! 

It is sooooo much more than money.  

It is looking kids in the eyes, sharing compassion, supporting them to live a healthy and normal life in any way possible. Hope, Unconditional Love, Support, and teaching them that SELF MATTERS (Dr. Phil's Book I highly recommend). 

God's love is simply flowing through you to them. I strongly believe in that! 

I am so happy ... why? I have endured a great deal of pain myself and I know what alot of those kids feel like when you have more problems than solutions.  

The fact is ... most of those kids don't even know how strong they are or how much they endured ... god bless them.  

I support this foundation 110% wholeheartedly.  

Texas Pet Factory will support this foundation for sure! 

God Bless America! 

April 11, 2006, 7:30 pm CDT

God Bless America!

I know alot of people out there do noteworthy things that aren't in the papers or on tv.  

However, what Dr. Phil and Robin have been doing with this foundation is caring and helping for the sake of kids.  

This is outstanding!! 

It is sooooo much more than money.  

It is looking kids in the eyes, sharing compassion, supporting them to live a healthy and normal life in any way possible. Hope, Unconditional Love, Support, and teaching them that SELF MATTERS (Dr. Phil's Book I highly recommend). 

God's love is simply flowing through you to them. I strongly believe in that! 

I am so happy ... why? I have endured a great deal of pain myself and I know what alot of those kids feel like when you have more problems than solutions.  

The fact is ... most of those kids don't even know how strong they are or how much they endured ... god bless them.  

I support this foundation 110% wholeheartedly.  

Texas Pet Factory will support this foundation for sure! 

God Bless America! 

April 14, 2006, 6:03 am CDT

Foster Care can be the best for a child

My boss and his wife were asked by the parents of a pregnant woman to consider adoption of the newborn baby.  Her first three children were taken from her for abuse (hit one child with a hot oven rack).  She didn't even show up for the parental rights termination for those children.

She had a baby girl, which was taken by DCF and given to my boss, who had become foster parents specifically for this baby.  They are good people who have the resources and love to provide a good life for this baby.  They took the baby in and cared for and loved her.  They went before a judge to terminate the parental rights of this baby.  He turned it down saying that because she abused the first 3 didn't mean that she would abuse the fourth.  It was also decided that because the "mother" didn't show up for the termination of the first 3 children, it was a voluntary termination rather than involuntary.  The baby was taken from her foster parents, where she had the chance for the best life possible.  She was returned to a "mother"  that lives in a crack neighborhood, had a mattress on the floor for a bed, and shares a communal bathroom with other rental occupants.  

Screw the laws, look for what is best for the children.  Provide continuing education and support for foster parents.  Help make foster parents feel like what they are...loving and caring individuals that have decided to commit their lives to helping children in need.  Give them the good strokes and "atta boys" that they deserve.  In turn, the children have a better chance of feeling loved and becoming loving and caring adults.

I've said for years that I would love to be a foster mom but don't think that I would be allowed because I am single and I have a diagnosis of  bipolar disorder.  I am committed to my medication and do very well with it but I think that I would feel devastated if turned down.  I'd be even sadder if a child is put back in an undesirable environment after I became to love it.

April 14, 2006, 6:04 am CDT

Foster care

The foster care system in the U.S. is such a mess. I am so glad that Dr.Phil and his family are helping these children out.  I wish more Americans with the resources would help out as well. I am a firm believer in adopting in your own country. All these American celebrities that adopt outside of the U.S. drive me crazy. I hope they are watching this show today and start adopting in the U.S. !!!

April 14, 2006, 7:26 am CDT

Applauding You and Recommending Elaine....

be honored as a credit to our nation!

April 14, 2006, 7:33 am CDT

Blessings Elaine

Thirty-one years ago I was a foster child for 2 years. I can honestly say it was the most stable time of my childhood. Today I am a successful, father, husband, business owner and musician heard world wide. What Elaine is doing is from the very depths of her being and understands her objective in giving loving, caring support to children the rest of the world did not seem to want. It takes a very special person to do what she is doing. Elaine you carry the message of Creator to the rest of the world and are a hero to the future lives of many. Lets hope thru your compassion the world is a better place........Blessings Elaine, Singing Eagle :)

April 14, 2006, 8:17 am CDT

fostermom here

I am a 37 yr old theraputic fostermom since 1998.I have had many kids in and out of my home since.I only have one fosterchild now,but wish to have more.But I live in an apt due to my divorce.So I 'm searching for a new home which can house more than 1 lol.If anyone has any info on financing a home with someone who has had issues in the past feel free to provide some info..thank you

April 14, 2006, 8:21 am CDT

Help!

I am a 37 yr old theraputic fostermom myself who is searching for a new mortgage to help support some more children.I have been through a divorce and of course my credit was shot!If anyone knows of a good mortgae company to talk to please let me know..

April 14, 2006, 9:17 am CDT

There are giants in this day.....

I will never cease to be amazed at the passion and devotion of those who choose to go out of their way to make life a little better for others. For me, the foster care system was a living hell; the abuse didn't start until I entered the system. Had I not got out when I did, there's no telling where I would be today. It does my heart good to see ordinary people doing extraordinary things for children in foster care. To open one's home, place an arm around a young shoulder and say, "You're special, you're valuable," speaks volumes. I sure wish I had that kind of support system when I was growing up. I'm glad it exists for others.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last