Message Boards

Topic : 04/18 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Number of Replies: 290
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 13, 2006, 01:14:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil has reinforcements today – Robin joins him in answering your questions. First, Joan is single and in her 60s. She admits that she lies about her age while dating online, because she believes if she told the truth, she would only get responses from men in their 90s. Dr. Phil puts potential suitors to the test to see if Joan's theory is right. Next, Brian says it's time for his wife, Cristi, to stop dressing their son in “girlie,” “foo-foo outfits.” Did Dr. Phil disapprove of the way Robin dressed Jay and Jordan? Then, a mother of two insists on having girls’ night out, but her husband says that 4:00 a.m. is way too late to come home. What's really at the heart of their issue? And, a mother who took away the keys to her son’s motorcycle wants to know if she should give them back. Plus, does Dr. Phil ever do anything wrong? Robin spills his secrets. And, find out what beauty product Robin wears that stays on all day. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 3, 2006, 8:41 am CDT

Remember, you have a right to be happy.

Quote From: mia_mia

Thanks.....for the reply..... I could write a book on the little things he does to anger me!!!!
Time goes by, don't waste your years you have left. What would you be doing if you could have the life you really want right now? why not start making it happen? don't just "plan," take the first step! is it to tell him you are going to take the first step? or is it to get information about how to take the step you decided was first?

August 8, 2006, 10:21 am CDT

Head Trauma

DR Phil and Robin,

I have been posting here for a while now, and since my life in general has deteriorated.  I was just watching your show about bi-polar disorder and I was reminded of an incident when I was about 12 years of age.

First, let me say that I have been out of work for a year now, and I have tried hard to do anything and everything to get well in order to return to work.  My wife and I have been married for over 27 years and we have 3 wonderful children, all grown, one grandson, and two grandchildren on the way.

I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression over fifteen years ago, and my life has gone down hill since.  I have been living a life of being out of touch with reality.  I have good days and bad days, mostly bad days.  I am terrified about my conditions, whatever they might be, I can only describe the symptoms, and not sure if all the doctors I have seen over the years can identify the real root cause of my troubles.

I am now to the point, after losing my job in May, of almost total incapacitation, terrible fears, anxieties, depression, and pain.  We will lose our home soon if something isn't done to change things.

I may have been younger than 12 when these two traumatic events occurred in my life.  And I have even asked doctors if these events could be affecting me now.  One, who is a neurologists indicated that it was ridiculous to think this.

These are the events that I refer to:

• First, when I was in the fourth grade, I was attempting to siphoned LEADED gasoline from a container in the the gas tank of my mini-bike.  The gasoline was very warm due to outside temperatures, and when I attempted this, the gasoline flowed very quickly, before I could remove the siphoning hose from my mouth, and I accidentally swallowed about 1/2 gallon of leaded gasoline.  I was afraid to tell my parents, so I let nature take it's course.  Could the lead in the gasoline be a contributing factor to my depression, and other mental and physical struggles?
  • A couple of years later I was riding my horse in an open field and when I tried to stop her before reaching the woods, she failed to stop, and I fell off the horse, and she kicked me in the head.  I lost my vision for a second or two, and was dazed, confused, and began to see strange colors in my head, and felt pressure in my head.  Again, I was afraid to tell my parents for fear of losing my horse.  The affects of this event lasted for days, or maybe weeks. 

I had a CT scan several years ago, but I know that technology has advanced since, and I am wondering if the procedure on television is a more advanced procedure than 12 years ago?   Also do you think these events could be a contributing factor to my current conditions?

I don't know what to do any more.  I can't even make most of my doctors appointments, and I can't seem to get anywhere with focusing on a job, or making sense out of the realization of what's going on.

Please advise.

August 12, 2006, 6:54 pm CDT

04/18 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Quote From: djmatt

DR Phil and Robin,

I have been posting here for a while now, and since my life in general has deteriorated.  I was just watching your show about bi-polar disorder and I was reminded of an incident when I was about 12 years of age.

First, let me say that I have been out of work for a year now, and I have tried hard to do anything and everything to get well in order to return to work.  My wife and I have been married for over 27 years and we have 3 wonderful children, all grown, one grandson, and two grandchildren on the way.

I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression over fifteen years ago, and my life has gone down hill since.  I have been living a life of being out of touch with reality.  I have good days and bad days, mostly bad days.  I am terrified about my conditions, whatever they might be, I can only describe the symptoms, and not sure if all the doctors I have seen over the years can identify the real root cause of my troubles.

I am now to the point, after losing my job in May, of almost total incapacitation, terrible fears, anxieties, depression, and pain.  We will lose our home soon if something isn't done to change things.

I may have been younger than 12 when these two traumatic events occurred in my life.  And I have even asked doctors if these events could be affecting me now.  One, who is a neurologists indicated that it was ridiculous to think this.

These are the events that I refer to:

• First, when I was in the fourth grade, I was attempting to siphoned LEADED gasoline from a container in the the gas tank of my mini-bike.  The gasoline was very warm due to outside temperatures, and when I attempted this, the gasoline flowed very quickly, before I could remove the siphoning hose from my mouth, and I accidentally swallowed about 1/2 gallon of leaded gasoline.  I was afraid to tell my parents, so I let nature take it's course.  Could the lead in the gasoline be a contributing factor to my depression, and other mental and physical struggles?
  • A couple of years later I was riding my horse in an open field and when I tried to stop her before reaching the woods, she failed to stop, and I fell off the horse, and she kicked me in the head.  I lost my vision for a second or two, and was dazed, confused, and began to see strange colors in my head, and felt pressure in my head.  Again, I was afraid to tell my parents for fear of losing my horse.  The affects of this event lasted for days, or maybe weeks. 

I had a CT scan several years ago, but I know that technology has advanced since, and I am wondering if the procedure on television is a more advanced procedure than 12 years ago?   Also do you think these events could be a contributing factor to my current conditions?

I don't know what to do any more.  I can't even make most of my doctors appointments, and I can't seem to get anywhere with focusing on a job, or making sense out of the realization of what's going on.

Please advise.

My previous post was a response which was posted the day the program aired in reference to this subject. 

My question is: Will I receive a response to this post?

Sincerely,

djmatt

October 28, 2006, 10:14 pm CDT

Can someone please help me?

I been sexual abused when I was 12 years old and when it was out what had happen to me I began having a hard time at school by the students and teachers.This has been going on for over 3 1/2 years not and its noting getting better at all. When I was in grade 10 I turned suicidal and ended up in Rehab because the students was giving me a hard time(beating me up,calling me names),When I was in grade 11  teachers were blameing  me for things,picking on me,they wasn't very friendly to me at all I could go on and on.A few things the students were doing were; beating me up in front of the teachers and they just walked pass like nothing was happening,i was kicked,pushed,punched and tipped out of my seat and the teacher just told the person to be good,I also had penciles,books,paper balls and dirty bottles thrown at me,I was spited on and water thrown in my face,i was stabed in the back with a pencil on day in class and the teacher niver said nothing,just told him to be good and do your work.Thats just a few things with the students and teachers last year but there are more that i niver said,but lastyear i became suicidal agian and had to quit school.I came back this year and the students have stopped because they are finish high school but the teachers are at me agian ,same things blameing me for things,pciking on me,mean and not respect ,giving me hard looks and a cupple other things but im becomeing depressed agian because im just sick of it and im under alot of stress because of it and because of that I am not doing well in school due to depression. We had a number of meeting about this problem lastyear and i even gave out the names of the teachers and studnte but noting was done because the staff are treating us different and dont care about us because we are from a different town.My other friends have had it hard too,they had to put up with a few things i experienced in the school and nothing was done was done about it,I find it hard to tell my story because its such a long story to tell but im trying my best to make it understandable and short,but I was thinking about going to the Media about this problem i been faceing for the past 3 1/2 year and I know alot of parents and students that might come forward to tell there story also....What do you think I should do?,Is the media the right way to go?

thanks for taking the time to read my story

Take Care,
Matt

April 6, 2007, 8:59 pm CDT

I am the vet u speak of (just being honest)

Quote From: seford

Hurrah for MOM to have the courage to stand up to her young Man.  

I am not surprised there was not a big issue between Mom and Son over the motorcycle, as he loves and respects her very much.  

There is so many other things besides PTSD when returning to civilian life. Learning to function back in a "Family" is one of many. To the soilder with no disregard to his birth family, his family is over there or back home spread out. 

There is also the facts that this young man just survived 365 days of living to get through each and every day without loosing his own life. He is invisable in his mind!! He needs the rush. 

At family support which can be accessed though any of the military webpages (www.calguard.ca.gov/readyfamilies) you will find lots of information. Many of these young man and women take great risks upon return and yet do not have PTSD, but survived a year so they must be okay. 

There is so much coverage about the return of soilders on a negative covering PTSD along with wounded.  

There are many who return and deal with life in different ways, long to return and are proud of the lifes they lived. If you choose to cover our Veterans please cover those who are proud and happy about the time they serve as well as those who need are prayers and support to return to civilian life. 

Again I support mom and and VERY PROUD OF GEORGE!!!! 

GEORGE YOU ARE AWESOME!! 

Signed 

Proud to be a mom of an American Soilder also 

Just because we "survive" a year doesnt make us ok.  Many people still want to deny yhe fact that PTSD DOES exist!!  I KNOW! FIRST HAND!!  and trying to feel "the rush" is a sympton of it!!  I have not seen the coverage you speak of, and these military pages and family support you speak of, try to down play the simple effects of just being in a combat zone for a year(w/out seeing combat) actually does to people. (which is not the case w/ me) Just knowing/ thinking 2 day may be ur last, or this breath may be your last, really changes people. If u overlook, or try to not believe your son doesnt have(not saying he does)any symptons of PTSD, you are only hurting HIM in the long run. We went thru alot, saw alot. Please, if he has any signs, talk to him, or he can talk to me! I AM VERY PROUD I SERVED IN IRAQ, and wouldnt trade it, even to get rid of nightmares I have. I you or your son want to talk let me know. I love 2 talk 2 my brothers!!

SSG W. Harper     convoy security Iraq

was stationed LSA Anaconda (Mortaritaville) Iraq

May 4, 2007, 11:12 am CDT

Quote From: djmatt

I'm confused.  Am I the only one who has posted here?  Is this to ask DR Phil and Robin Any questions?  Am I just seeing my posts and not others?

Will I receive a response to my post?

I am reading the topic "Ask DR. Phil and Robin."  I take this as asking anything about any topic?

If so, I have some health related issues of which I would like to ask your advice. 

Can someone please reply to this message in order to clarify these questions?

God Bless,

djmatt

Dear Matt,

Could you please email me? I have a site I would like for you to go to. I would display it here but I don't know the rules of what I can and can't  say on this site. I want you to look at this website, I feel you can really benefit from it..My email is healthstar_forevergreen@mchsi.com

Sincerely,

Penny

September 10, 2007, 5:14 pm CDT

Being Forced To Return To Work Against My Health!!!

Dr. Phil:

I am presently on Long Term Disability and have one for the Insurance Company's 2 examinations and they cannot get me on my health, so now they are trying to get me on my education.  I have given them x-rays, bone-density results and Drs. letters.  Their people have only see me once and said they would never see me again and think they can diagnose me.  I got a phone call last Friday and this guy tried to diagnose me over the phone.  I am on fracture level with my spine, wearrrrring a back brase, wrist brases, have carpal tunnel syndrome, asthmetic bronchitis, allergic to whemical where I work, use a cane all the time for walking, am on different medications.  My education is both obsolete and outdated and my health is very severe.  I am seeing my Dr. on a weekly to twice a week basis.  They want to stop my payments for disability on the 19th of this month.  I have given them all the documentation they have required and followed their instructions.  What are they trying to do to me, end me up as a criple permanently in a wheel chair or in the hospital?  I have worked all my life really hard and never collected disability until now.  What can I do about this and how?

Please help me!!!

Sincerely,

Aileen

October 17, 2007, 4:41 pm CDT

Sexually Assaulted by a Union Rep

Dr. Phil:

On October 17, 2003, I was going on a Union Course and I was a Shop Steward at that time and the 3rd V.P. called me in his office and I thought he wanted to talk about a grievance and nobody was around at that time and he pinned me against the door and started french kissing me and going under my top and fondling my breasts and said "It is now pay back time".  I have gone through all the right channels and apparently he said he could do whatever he wants and when and nobody would believe me and apparently that is what happened.  I am off work since that time due to depression, anxiety and upset and terrrified for my life to return back to that place.  Apparently sexual assault is condoned by our Union and the Company. 

What do I do now and where do I go for help?

In Desperate need of your help and advice!!!!

Upset and Scared

October 18, 2007, 1:17 pm CDT

Stressed

Quote From: nipsy

Dr. Phil:

On October 17, 2003, I was going on a Union Course and I was a Shop Steward at that time and the 3rd V.P. called me in his office and I thought he wanted to talk about a grievance and nobody was around at that time and he pinned me against the door and started french kissing me and going under my top and fondling my breasts and said "It is now pay back time".  I have gone through all the right channels and apparently he said he could do whatever he wants and when and nobody would believe me and apparently that is what happened.  I am off work since that time due to depression, anxiety and upset and terrrified for my life to return back to that place.  Apparently sexual assault is condoned by our Union and the Company. 

What do I do now and where do I go for help?

In Desperate need of your help and advice!!!!

Upset and Scared

October 18, 2007, 1:23 pm CDT

Taken on Disability for No Real Reason At All

Quote From: nipsy

Dr. Phil:

I am presently on Long Term Disability and have one for the Insurance Company's 2 examinations and they cannot get me on my health, so now they are trying to get me on my education.  I have given them x-rays, bone-density results and Drs. letters.  Their people have only see me once and said they would never see me again and think they can diagnose me.  I got a phone call last Friday and this guy tried to diagnose me over the phone.  I am on fracture level with my spine, wearrrrring a back brase, wrist brases, have carpal tunnel syndrome, asthmetic bronchitis, allergic to whemical where I work, use a cane all the time for walking, am on different medications.  My education is both obsolete and outdated and my health is very severe.  I am seeing my Dr. on a weekly to twice a week basis.  They want to stop my payments for disability on the 19th of this month.  I have given them all the documentation they have required and followed their instructions.  What are they trying to do to me, end me up as a criple permanently in a wheel chair or in the hospital?  I have worked all my life really hard and never collected disability until now.  What can I do about this and how?

Please help me!!!

Sincerely,

Aileen

First | Prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next Page | Last Page