Message Boards

Topic : 04/18 Ask Dr. Phil and Robin

Number of Replies: 290
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 13, 2006, 01:14:44 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil has reinforcements today – Robin joins him in answering your questions. First, Joan is single and in her 60s. She admits that she lies about her age while dating online, because she believes if she told the truth, she would only get responses from men in their 90s. Dr. Phil puts potential suitors to the test to see if Joan's theory is right. Next, Brian says it's time for his wife, Cristi, to stop dressing their son in “girlie,” “foo-foo outfits.” Did Dr. Phil disapprove of the way Robin dressed Jay and Jordan? Then, a mother of two insists on having girls’ night out, but her husband says that 4:00 a.m. is way too late to come home. What's really at the heart of their issue? And, a mother who took away the keys to her son’s motorcycle wants to know if she should give them back. Plus, does Dr. Phil ever do anything wrong? Robin spills his secrets. And, find out what beauty product Robin wears that stays on all day. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More April 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 18, 2006, 1:40 pm CDT

The too cute little boy

My little girl has more boy clothes than that little boy did. I have to agree with the dad on this one he was a little bit too "fru fru" and I am a mom. A little "fru fru" every once in a while won't hurt, but not all the time.

April 18, 2006, 1:42 pm CDT

Robin's jeans

Robin, 

I love your jeans.  They always look nice and fit well.   I would love for you to share the kind they are and where you purchase them ....I am having such an issue in finding good fitting jeans that look nice. Or do you have your jeans custom made? I have looked for jeans from $30.00 -$280.00 with no luck.  I look forward to your response really soon.  

April 18, 2006, 1:43 pm CDT

For Robin

I did not catch the name of the lip stick Robin use's can someone please let me know Thank you

April 18, 2006, 1:48 pm CDT

more than meets the eye

Quote From: fyre98

George is an adult, he has the right to drive his bike..I agree though with Dr. Phil that George should perhaps take lessons on how to better handle the bike..Lillian I believe was out of line to hide the keys to his motorcycle, she has the right to express her opinion but not the right to tell him what sort of bike he should buy
I'm disappointed that Dr. Phil did not mention the fact that the behaviors George displays in speeding and driving wrecklessly on his bike have been linked to PTSD and are typical "high octane" thrill-seeking activity that many veterans returning from the war are engaging in with alarming and often devastating results.  As a society, we need to acknowledge not just the physical effects of war on our returning vets, but the emotional effects as well because the effects of these wounds will not just impact the veteran, but their family members... now... and unfortunately well into the future.  Shouldn't we be helping them find appropriate means to deal with the emotional impact... we can give George driving instructions so he can control his bike... and drive even FASTER... God willing he won't kill himself or some innocent bystander.  Wouldn't it be better to provide a compassionate response to and for George that can help him deal with the deeper issue, or should we continue to slap bandaids on deep and penetrating wounds? Please... lets not wear blinders.  We owe these young men and women so much more.

April 18, 2006, 1:48 pm CDT

a lie is a lie

Quote From: jwkellar

I sympathize with Joan who lies about  her age on dating web sites. I do the same. I am 62 and I refuse  to say that I am older than 59. I tried match.com, yahoo and several others. Like Joan, if I didn't lie I would get mail from ladies a lot older than me. Not my thing! Joan, keep doing what you're doing. If your potential date and you click, you can spring the surprise on him.
I really disagree with those of you who think it's ok to lie in your profile.  The lady in the previous post at least comes clean upon meeting her date, but everyone deserves the truth.  Two days ago, I was forced to end a relationship with someone I'd been dating for six months when I discovered, on my own, that he was 6 years older than he claimed to be. Now I am hurt, and confused(how could someone do this?), and feel more than a little violated.  For those who are concerned about attracting older people, you can limit the age of the dates you want to contact you.  I only hope Tom and people like him end up with mates that are equally dishonest so noone is really being cheated.

April 18, 2006, 1:59 pm CDT

LOL

My husband says "yes, dear" all the time. As far as the phrase, "love it", My husband doesn't say that, he is very honest about whetehr or not he likes something and if he doesn't have a preface, he will say,'It's ok". Gotta learn what one another is about.....................................

April 18, 2006, 2:06 pm CDT

Disagree with Robin and Dr. Phil as Southerners

Quote From: ka_taz

My little girl has more boy clothes than that little boy did. I have to agree with the dad on this one he was a little bit too "fru fru" and I am a mom. A little "fru fru" every once in a while won't hurt, but not all the time.
I was so surprised that Robin did not speak up as true "Southern Girl" at heart about the little boy's clothes.   Any true "Southern Lady" knows that little boys dress in smocked clothes from boutiques in John-Johns, bubble suits, long-alls, and short-alls.  The rule of thumb is that little boys wear these clothes as their "Sunday Best" until they are potty-trained, which on average should be when they are about 2 1/2 years old.   They do not have self-awareness at this point, but other "Southern Ladies" do have awareness.  Save The Gap, Old Navy, Lands End, and Abercrombie and Fitch for them as they get three-years-old and older.   However, a born and bred Southern Lady always dresses her little boys in these nice clothes that are usually hand-made and smocked with love, or from Kelly's Kids, Ragsland, or other clothing lines who recognize "nice" Southern culture.   These clothes are certainly not "girly" but just the Southern way of appropriately dressing a little boy.   This is also something prominent in a higher socio-economic status and considered to be "up-scale clothing".  This has been a Southern tradition of dressing little boys for a long time and many clothing lines take heed to this and make lots of money from these "Heirloom" types of clothing.  Perhaps the rest of the world needs some "Southern Culture" to appreciate, but if not, then don't knock it just because a person doesn't appreciate it like true upscale Southerners!

April 18, 2006, 2:11 pm CDT

Religion

Dear Robin: 

I figured since you are a mother this question would be appropriate for you. I've been an atheist for a while now, and I'm afraid to tell my mother because she's very religious. I still live at home, and we don't go to church often, if ever, which makes it easy for me. Lately she's been asking me to attend church with her but I just don't know what to say. What should I do? 

Vanessa 

April 18, 2006, 2:11 pm CDT

Boys and motorcycles

Not that it will have any effect on any opinion of anyone.  Taking the keys from a boy that owns his own motorcycle is not the answer. 

I do not have the answer as my 21 year old son is now paralyzed probably forever because he had no conscienceness of fear when he rode his new motorcycle.

Over $500,000.00 in hospital bills and a lifetime of medical care costs whould convince anyone to be careful, but it does not work that way.

Although he is legally an adult he did not possess the experience or the knowledge to know the the unintended consequesces of his actions. 

I believe peer pressure had an enormous amount of influence on his actions.  Where are his riding buddies now?  Well they don't come around like they did before his injury.

We now know more about spinal cord injuries than we ever wanted to.

He is a strong man and he will make it.  But the price he has had to pay for one moment of a lapse of thinking is a price much too high for one young man.

I guess the answer lies somewhere in showing your children somehow their actions create ripples through their entire family no matter how close or far apart they are. 

I do not like the Dr. Phil show and would not take the time to write, but taking any opportunity to plead with parents  to doing anything you can to  stay close to your children should be the most important priority in your life.

If you can't make that commitment you should not have kids.

Confrontation only pushes them away.

April 18, 2006, 2:16 pm CDT

lip gloss

Quote From: dmcsl50

I did not catch the name of the lip stick Robin use's can someone please let me know Thank you
The lip gloss she uses is made by  Laura Mercier

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last