Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 "I Love Myself!"

Number of Replies: 1934
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 13, 2006, 01:18:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/20/06) Do you know someone who craves attention so badly that he or she will do anything to get it? One family believes their loved one is a master manipulator and her ways are causing a major conflict in the household. Hilary claims she wouldn’t shed a tear if her stepdaughter, Shannon, died tomorrow. She calls Shannon a narcissist and says she will lie, fight and cuss just to be noticed. Shannon feels like a scapegoat, and thinks her stepmother is simply out to get her. When Shannon was younger, her biological mom died, and now she believes Hilary has turned her father and sister against her. Is Shannon’s behavior all an act, or do her father and stepmother need to change how they deal with her? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 10, 2008, 2:29 pm CST

Are you kidding??

Quote From: angel974

wow...you seem like a cold hearted person. if you had a mother, how would you feel if you couldnt put up her picture after she has passed on..? it seems you were abused in some way or form..because you dont seem to have a heart.

Shannon should put of pictures of her mother up in her own house.  She's a big girl.  She's 20 or 21 now. 

My dad and step mom don't have pictures up in their house of my mom.  And my mom and my step mom or great friends.

No, I was not abused....but I think you may have been.

April 20, 2008, 1:04 am CDT

08/02 "I Love Myself!"

Quote From: christab

Shannon should put of pictures of her mother up in her own house.  She's a big girl.  She's 20 or 21 now. 

My dad and step mom don't have pictures up in their house of my mom.  And my mom and my step mom or great friends.

No, I was not abused....but I think you may have been.

I have not been to this message board since weeks after the show aired, I will always wonder what happened to Shannon.

I didn't catch your screen name to record here, but I hope replying will suffice.  First, Hillary moved into the family home.  Shannon was not 20 at the time.  She was never given proper greif counseling and this runs far deeper than "step parents" and pictures. 

Shannon at the time of the show was also a college student.  I am the parent of two daughters, 25 and 21.  My youngest recently turned 21.  Yes...here room is pretty much as she left it when she moved away to college.  This is her "haven."  She comes home totally drained on breaks and long weekends.  Yes, as time is passing the room turns into a "catch all" but, it is ready for her when she comes home.

She is transitioning.  She is now a rising Jr. and I can say with certainty...she is not the only student in her group of friends from college, or her home town who still has "home" to back to.  Did you see the Dr. Phil show where Robin was sending picutres of cakes and cookies to their youngest son after moving to college?  I am remarried, and yes, my daughter has photos of her father in her room.  This was never her father's house, he is not deceased...but even so, I would have handled things QUITE differently than Shannon's father did. 

Shannon was treated very inconsiderately.  You have a very naive point of view regarding that young womans feelings.  Of course the father has a right to move forward with his life...but, it was his wife and the mother of his children that died.  The children are still alive and needed him.  I did not like him or Hillarly one bit.  Not even in the least. 

April 25, 2008, 4:03 am CDT

What has happened to shannon since the show

I watched this show today (yes I know it is two years old) and was really moved by this story. My heart just went out to Shannon even though I am sure she was probably behaving every bit as badly as she was portrayed. I can not imagine how painful it would be to feel like no one in your family loved or wanted you, to have someone ( who is supposed to love you) say they wouldn't shed a tear if you DIED!! My question is not why is she acting out, but why wouldn't she be. I hope she has found some peace since this show and that her father and stepmother went home and watched this show over & over until they saw the cold heartless way they treated Shannon. I understand bringing up teenagers is a very challeging task, ( I had 3 of my own, now grown up)but hating them is not an option. It is never too late to make changes in the way we relate to our family & friends and I hope they took Dr Phil's advice and made a new beginning.

April 30, 2008, 12:26 pm CDT

Really?

Quote From: sandpiper1

I have not been to this message board since weeks after the show aired, I will always wonder what happened to Shannon.

I didn't catch your screen name to record here, but I hope replying will suffice.  First, Hillary moved into the family home.  Shannon was not 20 at the time.  She was never given proper greif counseling and this runs far deeper than "step parents" and pictures. 

Shannon at the time of the show was also a college student.  I am the parent of two daughters, 25 and 21.  My youngest recently turned 21.  Yes...here room is pretty much as she left it when she moved away to college.  This is her "haven."  She comes home totally drained on breaks and long weekends.  Yes, as time is passing the room turns into a "catch all" but, it is ready for her when she comes home.

She is transitioning.  She is now a rising Jr. and I can say with certainty...she is not the only student in her group of friends from college, or her home town who still has "home" to back to.  Did you see the Dr. Phil show where Robin was sending picutres of cakes and cookies to their youngest son after moving to college?  I am remarried, and yes, my daughter has photos of her father in her room.  This was never her father's house, he is not deceased...but even so, I would have handled things QUITE differently than Shannon's father did. 

Shannon was treated very inconsiderately.  You have a very naive point of view regarding that young womans feelings.  Of course the father has a right to move forward with his life...but, it was his wife and the mother of his children that died.  The children are still alive and needed him.  I did not like him or Hillarly one bit.  Not even in the least. 

I hope Shannon finally grew up and that her dad and stepmom were finally finding peace without her.  What a horrible child.

First | Prev | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | Next Page | Last Page