Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 "I Love Myself!"

Number of Replies: 1934
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 13, 2006, 01:18:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/20/06) Do you know someone who craves attention so badly that he or she will do anything to get it? One family believes their loved one is a master manipulator and her ways are causing a major conflict in the household. Hilary claims she wouldn’t shed a tear if her stepdaughter, Shannon, died tomorrow. She calls Shannon a narcissist and says she will lie, fight and cuss just to be noticed. Shannon feels like a scapegoat, and thinks her stepmother is simply out to get her. When Shannon was younger, her biological mom died, and now she believes Hilary has turned her father and sister against her. Is Shannon’s behavior all an act, or do her father and stepmother need to change how they deal with her? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 18, 2006, 9:56 pm CDT

OK, I guess no links allowed....

Quote From: vabtrfly

Very well said! All that's left.... is to add a few links, lol.  

narcissism 101 Index  

Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) : How to Recognize a Narcissist  

What Makes Narcissists Tick  

Just some helpful information for anyone interested.  

For people who think they need additional support.... there are many great NPD forums, full of caring, supportive, and understanding individuals. All you need to do is google Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  

Take care and God bless.  

My apologies to everyone. The links I added have obviously been disabled for whatever reason. I will try to find a way to include them in a different way as soon as I figure out how, lol. Sorry again!  

Take care!  

April 18, 2006, 10:34 pm CDT

One more time, lol...

My apologies to everyone. The links I added have obviously been disabled for whatever reason. I will try to find a way to include them in a different way as soon as I figure out how, lol. Sorry again!  

Take care!  

I am attempting to add these links again, lol.  Anyone interested will need to copy and paste them into their browser. Hope this works.... wish me luck, lol.  

http://www.operationdoubles.com/narc/  

http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/index.html  

http://narcissism101.com/Narcissism2.html   I was going to add a 4th... maybe next time around.   Take care.

April 19, 2006, 1:50 am CDT

04/20 "I Love Myself!"

Take care!  

Just post the web address to the site. 

April 19, 2006, 8:40 am CDT

WOW

I know that my boyfriend has all the signs and I have been studying personality disorders since my brother had borderline personality disorder and a little over a year ago, committed suicide... My boyfriend reminds me of my brother in many ways, and I often wonder if I keep him in my life due to that.  He is very controlling, needs all my attention, has to be center of attention with everyone, and has to have female friends to boost his self esteem (his words) yet  I keep going back to it,  its almost like a drug, going back for more verbal abuse,and childlike behaviors.  He knows how to draw me back in, and then the cycle starts all over again.  I cant wait to watch the show and see how I can walk away from this relationship that is ripping me to shredds.

April 19, 2006, 9:07 am CDT

Thanks for your post

Quote From: leighton

Thank GOD!!!  I just posted not too long ago that Dr Phil should do a show on NPD (Narcissisist Personality Disorder), and I find out that he is doing a show on Thursday.  From watching the tape preview it is not what I thought it might be, but I will be glued to my television.  Please don't soft shoe this personality disorder!!! 

I survived a relationship/marriage with an NPD not too long ago, and the turmoil and difficulty and mostly the pain they leave behind is unbelievable.  You are left spinning, wondering "what did I do wrong, how come I was so flawed," until deep therapy revealed this horrifice behavior/pathological symptoms were NOT my fault.  It has been almost a year until "he was done with me as his supply" and brutally tossed me out (which is actually a God-send now that I look back).  He took me to the cleaners in a 9-month marriage, $40,000.00, when he quit his job and I was left supporting him, his son from a previous marriage and his ex-wife's child support while he kept promising to get a job.  He is a user, an abuser, and never looked back on what he did.  He was sexually horrific to me, but I put up with it in order not to "lose him."  I thank GOD every day that he is gone from my life. 

Dr. Phil, keep helping the survivors' of this mess, we never know we are in it until it is too late or we are thrown out and left reeling and not knowing what happened, when we had to deal with these horrific monsters.  Relationships are no longer an option because there is NO trust left due to the tragic damage NPD's cause.  Again, thank you for this beginning show, but keep delving into the survivor end of it -- we need each other.  I am a member of an invite-only NPD survivor's email group and I am amazed that we are all alive to tell about it (emotionally).  Read the book by Les Carter, Enough About You, Let's Talk About Me -- I am currently looking for a copy but it comes highly recommended and anything that will help me continue to heal (with the great help and strength of the Lord by my side) and understand this will one day make me a whole person again.  NPD's are NOT human. 

Debi 

Wow  someone else who has lived the life I am living now .. I feel so alone and I dont know how to walk away from my NPD boyfriend..   I would like to discuss more and I would like to know how long did it take you to finally walk away for good,  we have been off and on for about 4 years now.. again thanks for the post  I feel like I am not so alone anymore

April 19, 2006, 1:53 pm CDT

04/20 "I Love Myself!"

Quote From: bratbuff

Wow  someone else who has lived the life I am living now .. I feel so alone and I dont know how to walk away from my NPD boyfriend..   I would like to discuss more and I would like to know how long did it take you to finally walk away for good,  we have been off and on for about 4 years now.. again thanks for the post  I feel like I am not so alone anymore
I hope that he discusses more personality disorders as well... my ex was diagnosed with PAPD which, from my understanding, is linked to NPD.

If you haven't gone to counseling about this before, I would advise you to seek it now and research this disorder.  You may want to read some of my previous posts about my history because if you don't get help, it can and most likely will escalate.  It took me 12 years to get out of my relationship with him.  You need to reach the point where you know you've exhausted all possibilities within your capacity in resolving the issues in your relationship, understand that you're not to blame, and be firm in consequences.  My ex truly does not know what love is, never did.  He feels no guilt for his actions and pain he's inflicted on others., including his kids.  Be thankful you're not married to him!

April 19, 2006, 1:58 pm CDT

No links

I am attempting to add these links again, lol.  Anyone interested will need to copy and paste them into their browser. Hope this works.... wish me luck, lol.  

http://www.operationdoubles.com/narc/  

http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/index.html  

http://narcissism101.com/Narcissism2.html   I was going to add a 4th... maybe next time around.   Take care.

Sorry, it didn't work.  Maybe they're not allowing anyone to post links anymore.  I know that when I tried to post links to websites in my author's notes on fanfiction.net, never mind the links not working, they didn't even show up on the internet page.  And THEY had no qualms about posting links either, according to the Terms of Service, they just said it wasn't their responsiblilty if the links didn't work. 

Maybe , but I don't know.  I think fanfiction.net was secretly cracking down on posting web links and didn't bother to tell us.  Maybe it's that way here, too. 

April 19, 2006, 2:41 pm CDT

Rare Topic

I also agree that I got excited when I heard that a show was going to talk about NPD. I hope it will be educational, this topic & disorder are so rare, because it is so hard to understand. I've read numerous websites , and it does describe my husband as if they knew him personally. They are humans with hardly any reguard for human compassion or empathy, but there also may be reasons for this. They may have not recieved the nurturing they needed when they were young. 

I know they do love, my husband does, but maybe there is different degrees of this disorder. 

So I'm stuck with feelings of having empathy & compassion for my husband,wishing I could help him, and stay with my marriage, but yet it seems they have to get help themselves, and with a disorder that prevents them from thinking anything could be wrong with them, do we just abandon these people, and walk away ? For those of us who are married, and want to follow the better for worse vows, how do deal with this ? I have learned one way is keep educating myself on it, and try not to take what they say or do too personally, and that's not always easy- words to hurt. 

April 19, 2006, 2:59 pm CDT

You'll have to copy and paste....

Quote From: davewriter

Sorry, it didn't work.  Maybe they're not allowing anyone to post links anymore.  I know that when I tried to post links to websites in my author's notes on fanfiction.net, never mind the links not working, they didn't even show up on the internet page.  And THEY had no qualms about posting links either, according to the Terms of Service, they just said it wasn't their responsiblilty if the links didn't work. 

Maybe , but I don't know.  I think fanfiction.net was secretly cracking down on posting web links and didn't bother to tell us.  Maybe it's that way here, too. 

Hi there,  

I was told I had to type in the URL's. No "active" links allowed. I did just that in my last post, so if you'll copy and paste the individual URL's... it should work for you. Worked for my neighbor this morning. I double checked myself as well.  

How to's...  

Point your mouse in front of the first word and double click..... the word should become highlighted.  

Now, point your mouse at the end of the link (last letter) press and hold your shift key while you click once.... the entire URL should be highlighted now.  

Right click on the highlighted link, (you should see a box pop up) scroll to copy and click once.... now, point your mouse over your browser window and right click, (you should see another box) scroll to paste... click. Finally, click GO.  

Once the web page comes up, you can put it in your favorites for safe keeping.  

I hope this helps. If not, let me know and maybe I can find another alternative.   

Take care and God bless.  

April 19, 2006, 5:05 pm CDT

Excuse ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has NO ONE noticed what the step-mother has said about her stepdaughter????????????? Do you think this MIGHT have something to do with her behavior?????

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last