Message Boards

Topic : 08/02 "I Love Myself!"

Number of Replies: 1934
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Thursday, April 13, 2006, 01:18:17 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/20/06) Do you know someone who craves attention so badly that he or she will do anything to get it? One family believes their loved one is a master manipulator and her ways are causing a major conflict in the household. Hilary claims she wouldn’t shed a tear if her stepdaughter, Shannon, died tomorrow. She calls Shannon a narcissist and says she will lie, fight and cuss just to be noticed. Shannon feels like a scapegoat, and thinks her stepmother is simply out to get her. When Shannon was younger, her biological mom died, and now she believes Hilary has turned her father and sister against her. Is Shannon’s behavior all an act, or do her father and stepmother need to change how they deal with her? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 20, 2006, 6:46 am CDT

I am so saddened....

I understand manipulative, but the parents (and I use the term lightly) here are just horrible and the father is the narcicist in this group, why oh why would he marry another woman when his child was hurting so badly after her mother's death.  They should be arrested for child abuse and neglect (the mental kind of abuse is the worst)............Dr Phil, please let them have it!!!

April 20, 2006, 6:49 am CDT

04/20 "I Love Myself!"

Quote From: zakksmomm

I see this every day when I drive. For these people its all about "Me, Me,Me"! I do not think it's as much of a disoder. I call it just being self absorbed, like those people who drive those behemoth gas guzzling SUV's. Maybe the government would not think we are so eager to pay these high gas prices if these self absorbed SUV drivers would stop buying them.

How are SUV drivers selfish? 

Maybe some of them are soccer moms that have to drive around their family?  I wouldn't call that selfish (or Narcissistic) in the least. 

April 20, 2006, 6:52 am CDT

Dealing with Family

I have watched the stepmother throughout the show and she is the one who has the problem. I do know that growing up with a stepmother is hard and it requires compromise on everyone's part. It seems the father is siding with the stepmother and basically the stepmother wants the stepdaughter gone. Why would else would she send her away to "get help"?? She has major issues that SHE needs to focus on!! 

April 20, 2006, 6:54 am CDT

I would hate it there too...

That stepmother is a witch! No wonder she is acting the way she does. She obviously doesn't feel loved......

April 20, 2006, 7:08 am CDT

Let's put it where it belongs!

After watching the show I am convinced that the problem is not with the child.  There are zero parenting skills exhibited by her father.  He is a perfect example of spineless in my opinion. Only 6 months after his wife's demise he was out dating and within the year he brought a woman into their home who is obviously leading him around by the nose. Why couldn't he think of someone besides HIMSELF during that very critical time when his precious children were having to adjust to life without their mother.  Oh no... he's off looking for a woman to be his backbone and his children can go hang... literally.  I cannot believe that any parent would take a child to a foreign country for God's sake and leave them there without speaking to... touching...hugging... that child for a YEAR! Where IS this man's brain?  His wife says she wouldn't "shed a tear" if his daughter died!!!  Of course she wouldn't!  This daughter is her only opposition... the only thing that stands in her way in her take over.    

What I'd like to know is some of that step-mothers history!!!  What made HER the gold digger?  (It's obvious this family has money from the video's they shared.) Thank you Dr. Phil for being able to see this family for what it is and for trying to reconnect the father and daughter.  Observation: Did you perhaps notice the look on the step-mother's face when you suggested that she be brought into the mix last!  She was seething! How dare someone do/say something behind HER back!    

Lord, have mercy on this family!   

April 20, 2006, 7:11 am CDT

HAd friend with a narcissistic parent

Quote From: zakksmomm

I see this every day when I drive. For these people its all about "Me, Me,Me"! I do not think it's as much of a disoder. I call it just being self absorbed, like those people who drive those behemoth gas guzzling SUV's. Maybe the government would not think we are so eager to pay these high gas prices if these self absorbed SUV drivers would stop buying them.
I had a friend who talked about her Mom acting like this (selfabsorbed) One good book is "CHILDREN OF THE SELF ABSORBED"  It had some really helpful hints for dealing with people like this ,whether a parent, friend or boyfriend,etc. Author was Nina W. Brown. I was surprised when it gave me some descriptions of things my parents did that drove me nuts. Like denying anything wrong and thinking you are just too sensitive about things and never saying they are sorry for anything. My Dad was or still is very self absorbed although a nice person .My sister is very self absorbed. My Mom fits the description of saying something nasty and then denying she did anything wrong or you must  have misunderstood her. She knows EXACTLY what she's doing. I know you have to be careful about labeling people but this book helped me realize that sometimes it IS them and NOT you!!!!!!!:>)  Especially with certain people or relatives. It helps to say, hey, I will care about the nice people and I don't have to care about  the others too much and they know that I know what they're up to!!!!!! Feels good to say, I got YOUR number and I can still talk to them but set limits .

April 20, 2006, 7:14 am CDT

That poor girl!

It looks to me like that stepmother is a total WITCH and has turned that poor girls family against her.  They talk about her being conieving, but it seems to me that the stepmother is the biggest one of all.  Where is the fathers balls?  He needs to step up to the plate and take care of and love his daughter.  Parenthood is not a choice.  You cannot choose which child to love and which not.  The girl has already lost her mother, and maybe she would be better off just leaving that family behind and trying to find one that loves and excepts her for who she is.  I am not making any excuses for her.  She doesnt have the right to act like that, but honestly, if I had been in her shoes, I would probably had already done worse or left!

April 20, 2006, 7:20 am CDT

Men remarry fast

I think men tend to remarry fast. They don't like to be alone if they were in a marriage before. Haven't seen the show yet . But sounds like the stepmother might be a little cold(as in  the iceberg the Titanic hit ? )  Will wait and see. Will she melt if the daughter pours water on her? Just kidding. :>)  Maybe the whole family needs counselling as the kids can make or break a second marriage. And the daughter would get help too and give her Dad a second chance at happiness as I'm sure that is all he is looking for and didn't realize the effect it might have. And maybe the woman loves him too but they are at their wits end. You can't be too judgemental. As I know, no one has a perfect life so we can judge harshly. AMEN. :>)  

April 20, 2006, 7:21 am CDT

Get that girl out of that house

Please, get that girl out of the house, they have been and will continue to be abusive to Shannon, this girl is not BAD, she has been abused, mistreated, and unloved. Those people in the house, are going to end up in a very hot place, if they don't change their ways.  

Shannon, you are a good person, I can tell these things, please God,  get away from these people, they are noxious, Family, are not just your blood kin, Family, are those people who you CHOOSE, to love and to live with. You can choose your family,,,,and I think if you get away from these people, you will find people to love, and who will love you back. They need therapy more than you do.  

Good luck and God Bless.  

PS. The rest of the family, can go straight to the "hot place"  

April 20, 2006, 7:27 am CDT

Dr. Phil Get her away from them

Please get her out of that house, they are going to drive her crazy or already have. Please please, if she is going to have a chance, she has to get away from them. She is not going to survive them.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last