Message Boards

Topic : 08/03 Teen Wake-Up Calls

Number of Replies: 251
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 21, 2006, 10:17:02 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/25/06) How do you get through to rebellious teens who think they are invincible? Dr. Phil has advice for parents terrified that their kids are headed down a destructive path. Shelly says that her 15-year-old daughter, Allie, was the perfect child before partying and drinking took over her life. Allie has been cited several times for public intoxication, and also has been caught stealing prescription drugs. Shelly fears her daughter won't make it to her 18th birthday. Dr. Phil introduces Allie to someone he thinks will leave a lasting impression. Then, Kim is scared to death because her 16-year-old daughter, Briana, has sex with older men and doesn't use condoms. Briana was even caught having sex with a 23-year-old in the backseat of his car! Dr. Phil gives Briana a wake-up call she'll never forget. And, a teen who has spent over 400 hours in tanning beds says she’s unconcerned about the health risks. Share your thoughts, join the discussion?

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 24, 2006, 1:31 pm CDT

It's not always the parents, its the friends.

Well my cousin, Allie, is the 15 year old on this show. This is what she turned when she thought she had nothing else. She is a very charming girl and very intelligent but just went down the wrong path with the wrong friends and these days that's not too hard to get swallowed into. "Everybody's doing it." That's the main thing teens see, if they're doing then why can't I? It was her surrouondings and influences and her own choices that put her like this. They have now sent her off to a girl's recovery school in Oklahoma and if she has realized her wrongs and wants to change, she will.

April 24, 2006, 1:59 pm CDT

the briana i know

Briana is known through out our school for being a rebellious, careless, and someone who strives for attention. This may be true, but you don't know the nice side of her. The Briana i know is someone who wants to be nice and fun to be around, but people don't care to see that. The prejudice against her comes from people that haven't got to know her.  She obviously has problems, and that's why she came on to Dr. Phil, but not everything about her is horrible. Maybe others can see this in her too. We arn't the only ones though who should make a change, but she must change too. I hope she can, and maybe we won't see her as such a "bad" person.

April 24, 2006, 6:02 pm CDT

400 hours in tanning beds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh!!  You would think with all the warnings out there now that people would have more sense!!  I really hope Dr. Phil can talk some sense into this poor girl before anymore damage is done.  My sister in law has used tanning beds for years and now she appears to be ten years older than she actually is.  Her skin is like leather!!

April 24, 2006, 7:37 pm CDT

04/25 Teen Wake-Up Calls

It kind of makes me sick when people blame things on the parents, my mom was always there for me had the strict rules but I never listened I pushed her away no matter how hard she tried. I wouldn't listen to her or any one I thought I was old enough to make my own choices and I did, and so did all my friends, parents can only do so much then the rest is up to the child. Plus when you that young and someone tells you what to do it only makes you want to rebel more and hate the person who is telling you what to do and thats why me and my mom dont have a relationship now because she pushed to hard and it make me have this feeling like we cant talk anymore .

April 24, 2006, 10:30 pm CDT

WHAT IS IT DOING BEING AVALIBLE

I have not seen the show yet, but I am wondering how this girl is getting away with drinking. From the video it appears that she is getting her alcohol right out of the family fridge. Maybe that was her first cry for help. The fact that mommy didn’t even care that she was drinking before school. If that were me my mother would have thrown those bottles right out the window. And she drinks before school…. That means she cant possibly have a full time job… how is she getting the money for this?? I cant wait for the show to prove me wrong, but this could have been stopped a long time ago by not allowing her to drink at home. Teenagers are going to drink. But if you have to hide doing it, it doesn’t become a daily thing to do, especially if you can’t afford it.

April 24, 2006, 11:20 pm CDT

...the nice side

Quote From: bhs_2008

Briana is known through out our school for being a rebellious, careless, and someone who strives for attention. This may be true, but you don't know the nice side of her. The Briana i know is someone who wants to be nice and fun to be around, but people don't care to see that. The prejudice against her comes from people that haven't got to know her.  She obviously has problems, and that's why she came on to Dr. Phil, but not everything about her is horrible. Maybe others can see this in her too. We arn't the only ones though who should make a change, but she must change too. I hope she can, and maybe we won't see her as such a "bad" person.

Thumbs up! That was noble and thoughtful of you - thanks for your input.   

April 25, 2006, 6:59 am CDT

from an outsider

I haven't seen the show, since I live in Denmark and we are probably about 2 years behind, but I have read the posts in here, and it seems like there is a lot of different oppinions.  

I think there is two kind of young people with problems, there is the young boy or girl who is having problems, mentally.. A way to escape is drinking, then there is the pretty girl, who became friends with the wrong people. it's my experience that both types can be "saved".. But it probably isn't by the same methods. If your child is having problems, it's probably a good idea to find out why. Maybe it is the parent, but maybe the child have just been too spoiled. I know young people who trash their parents cars, house, tv, so on, because they have rich parents, and because the parents refuse to just cut the cash flow. at the same time I've known a boy whos life just sucked.. He inhalated the gas from a lighter, and died of it. He was about 15 years old.  

Don't blame people, the kids or the parents, just fix it 

April 25, 2006, 7:00 am CDT

To Parent or NOT to Parent

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it, Dr. Phil. As a high school teacher and a parent of two, I can't understand why parents don't step up to the plate and just say "NO!" The pretty, young girl wouldn't be getting a tan if her parents told her NO. She couldn't afford a tan at a salon if her parents didn't give her the money for it. She couldn't go to the beach with her friends she planned to tan.  

It's not like tanning is something you can hide; before long, the affects of tanning SHOW and that's when the punishment comes in. Take away all privileges: t.v., computer, cell phones, dates, dances, sports games, parties, ETC, until the girl falls in line and does as she is told.  

Teens think it can't happen to them, so pictures and stories of the negative affects of tanning don't really matter. Therefore, parents need to be PARENTS and set limits. When did we, as a society, forget who SHOULD be in control. We are the parents. They are the children. Say NO and do something about it if they don't follow rules. GEESH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Good show otherwise, Dr. Phil. I hope these girls got the message. They are a precious future! 

April 25, 2006, 7:02 am CDT

STOP before it's to late

Quote From: kandkkerr

Oh my gosh!!  You would think with all the warnings out there now that people would have more sense!!  I really hope Dr. Phil can talk some sense into this poor girl before anymore damage is done.  My sister in law has used tanning beds for years and now she appears to be ten years older than she actually is.  Her skin is like leather!!

It broke my heart to see the beautiful young girl tanning herself to extreme...God love her...I understand her feelings...but she really needs to get this....I lost my daughter four years ago to skin cancer....she died at 36 and left a nine year old son.   

She too wouldn't heed the warnings to not sun so much....she would get a burn and then tan the rest of the summer....she said it made her feel prettier. Believe me there was nothing pretty about the slow deterioration of her young body as she went through the three years it took of treatment before the cancer over took her and she finally died....in my arms....with no hair and only weighing 80 pounds. What else can I say.......PLEASE STOP BEFORE IT"S TO LATE!   

April 25, 2006, 7:23 am CDT

Teens shouldn't drink at all

Quote From: kc_crystal

I have not seen the show yet, but I am wondering how this girl is getting away with drinking. From the video it appears that she is getting her alcohol right out of the family fridge. Maybe that was her first cry for help. The fact that mommy didn’t even care that she was drinking before school. If that were me my mother would have thrown those bottles right out the window. And she drinks before school…. That means she cant possibly have a full time job… how is she getting the money for this?? I cant wait for the show to prove me wrong, but this could have been stopped a long time ago by not allowing her to drink at home. Teenagers are going to drink. But if you have to hide doing it, it doesn’t become a daily thing to do, especially if you can’t afford it.
It's hard when adults think their teens are adults when they aren't and let them think drinking and the consequences are acceptable. The mom probably had alcohol in the home because she drinks frequently and let her have a few @ home too.  And Allie probably cuts herself because her mom (and dad?) would rather drink or do other stuff rather than spend time with her. Mom needs to rid the home of all alcohol, spend time w/ Allie and quit making excuses. My father is an alcoholic and my parents let me drink underage. The only answer to the mess of drugs and alcohol is a zero tolerance policy.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last