Message Boards

Topic : 08/03 Teen Wake-Up Calls

Number of Replies: 251
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 21, 2006, 10:17:02 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/25/06) How do you get through to rebellious teens who think they are invincible? Dr. Phil has advice for parents terrified that their kids are headed down a destructive path. Shelly says that her 15-year-old daughter, Allie, was the perfect child before partying and drinking took over her life. Allie has been cited several times for public intoxication, and also has been caught stealing prescription drugs. Shelly fears her daughter won't make it to her 18th birthday. Dr. Phil introduces Allie to someone he thinks will leave a lasting impression. Then, Kim is scared to death because her 16-year-old daughter, Briana, has sex with older men and doesn't use condoms. Briana was even caught having sex with a 23-year-old in the backseat of his car! Dr. Phil gives Briana a wake-up call she'll never forget. And, a teen who has spent over 400 hours in tanning beds says she’s unconcerned about the health risks. Share your thoughts, join the discussion?

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 25, 2006, 11:28 am CDT

Skin Cancer

I am not going to get into a wage of wars over whether or not tanning directly "causes" skin cancer because we can all skew the reports and numbers  to fit our own opinions, but I will tell you this... our daughter-in-law is dead BECAUSE of skin cancer.  At age 28 ,Kelly was first diagnosed with a malignant, ulcerated mole on her right shoulder and after two re-occurances, at age 33 she was gone leaving behind two young boys, ages 2 and 5.    

Karen is more than accurate when she states that she is NOT the norm... she is thus far the lucky one who has beaten back the "beast", as we call malignant melanoma.   Unless one is diagnosed in the very early stages of melanoma, the outcome will more than likely be one great struggle and suffering and in most cases death.  I tell you this in hopes to scare you and ask you to picture this.  You are 33, you take your 5 year old to his first day of kindergarten.  You are dragging behind you an oxygen tank and by the end of the visit you collapse onto his teacher's arms due to exhaustion.  Kelly only had 8 months from the time she received her final diagnosis of inopperable metastatic melanoma to her liver,  till she died.  Just like all of you, Kelly never dreamt that this would "happen to her".   Is any form of tanning, whether on a blanket or in a bed, worth the increased risk of getting skin cancer?  I realize that nothing will alter anyone's behavior unless they choose to change, so please at the VERY LEAST be pro-active.  Promise yourselves to examine your skin on a regular bases and incorporate into your annual health exam a trip to a dermatologist knowledgeable in diagnosing skin cancer .  Upon diagnosis, Kelly asked  "I have been given this cancer, now what am I to do with it?"  We, her family, have all vowed never to be complacent about sharing the fact the SKIN CANCER KILLS.  Early detection, especially in a diagnosis of malignant melanoma, is the ONLY CURE.   Thanks for taking the time to read this and we hope you at least consider the risk you are taking when tanning, regardless of the method.    Sue Griesmann  

April 25, 2006, 12:01 pm CDT

allie nd briana

okay i'm 15 alright. i drink and party ok so what. but u just have to know when to stop. if you're gonna get so drunk that you're found intoxicated on the street and stuff then u know somethings wrong. nd having sex with older men that are over 3 yrs older than you is so rediculous and scary. even scarier to think that they weren't using condoms. seriously just think about it for a second : 23 yrs old and 16... 7 YR DIFFERENCE!, um can u say RAPE? that's just creepy. why would any 23 yr old want to have sex or a relationship with a 16 yr old? has to be one reason. only one i can think of is to get as much as they can and get it from younger girls. i suggest reading "It Happened To Nancy" for the girl w/ the sex problem.

April 25, 2006, 12:14 pm CDT

You are so right Sue!

I am a 9 year survivor of melanoma and live with the fear of recurrence every day of my life.  

I invite anyone who wants to argue, deny, or go to the ring with me on the dangers of tanning  

to visit my website and check out the departments in my Sunblitz clinic.  The Treatment Department might be a good place to start....lets see what tanning and sunburns did to my face.  And yes, I am one of the lucky ones..........so far!  Melanoma is unforgiving, unrelentless and lethal. I have lost  

count of the patients and friends I have lost to this monster in the past 4 years.   

Those post op photos do get the attention of the young people I speak with at health  

fairs and maybe it will get your attention as well. Beyond that, I can support my stand with  

credible and viable resources.....hundreds of them...found throughout the site.  Don't miss   

looking at the dozens of factual links regarding tanning and the effects it has on your health...forget what it does to aging you! THERE IS NO SAFE TAN!   A tan is skin damage and it is not reversible.  

Melanoma is not just a skin cancer.  It often takes out the brain, liver, lungs and other vital organs.   

Please do not miss the point!  

My life is dedicated to getting the word out and hopefully Karen's presence today will make  

a difference in the way our society has been influenced by the beauty industry.  I was a part  

of that for many years..when I had 2 cheeks and no scars.... and I understand the strength   

of the ads and celebrity. However, melanoma kills and it is not pretty!  

Bottom line is skin cancer is preventable. Melanoma is 97% preventable...yet today.....  

it is being diagnosed in women between 29-34, more often than breast cancer.    

I wonder why?   

Please visit my non-commercial website dedicated to the prevention and care of melanoma  

and other skin cancers:  

http://www.sunblitz.com  

April 25, 2006, 12:15 pm CDT

15 year old

Quote From: nypd7946

okay i'm 15 alright. i drink and party ok so what. but u just have to know when to stop. if you're gonna get so drunk that you're found intoxicated on the street and stuff then u know somethings wrong. nd having sex with older men that are over 3 yrs older than you is so rediculous and scary. even scarier to think that they weren't using condoms. seriously just think about it for a second : 23 yrs old and 16... 7 YR DIFFERENCE!, um can u say RAPE? that's just creepy. why would any 23 yr old want to have sex or a relationship with a 16 yr old? has to be one reason. only one i can think of is to get as much as they can and get it from younger girls. i suggest reading "It Happened To Nancy" for the girl w/ the sex problem.
This 15 year old is going on the wrong path.  Sometimes there might be some kind of abuse going on in the house or no attention.  She is going to jail or make a living being a protisitute.  She is killing pain.  Where is her father?  Why couldn't her mother put her in some kind of counseling or rehab?

April 25, 2006, 12:31 pm CDT

04/25 Teen Wake-Up Calls

Quote From: sweetpeaoh

This show, Teen Wake-up calls, touched me very personally. Now, at 28 yrs old, I've been dealing with HPV (Humanpapilloma virus) for 13 yrs. Briana, there is a lot more to deal with in sex than HIV/AIDS...there are a lot of other viruses out there that will effect your life with just as much force. At 15, I lost my virginity and starting dealing with missed periods. My mom thought I was pregnant or doing drugs. I went in for a Pap at my doctor and have now had more exams on my body than most women twice my age. My body keeps developing dysplasia, abnormal cell growth that eventually leads to cervical cancer. If you deliver a baby during one of these breakouts, your child can get genital warts on his/her vocal chords and suffer for life.  Millions of people have this virus, even the ones who look healthy. I have had two LEEPs (where an electrically charged rod is used to burn your cervix after the cells are scraped off or cut out), my cervix frozen and scraped, two colposcopies(scraping of the cervix with this thing that looks like a bottle brush and your body gives you one long constant cramp because the opening to the cervix is being messed with.) Now, I'm being told I should anticipate a hysterectomy(due to other problems as well), but sex too early in life and natural problems that have occurred have combined to create great problems for me. HPV also causes infertility. Briana, the men who are having sex with you don't give two shits less whether you live or die, whether you deal with a disease for the rest of your life, or if you even care about them. You need to take care of Briana first. I haven't had sex for a few years, but I work everyday, do what I want, spend time with my friends and am happier now than I've ever been. My mom, who was the enemy when I was hurting myself as a teenager, never gave up on me, and today is my best friend. You'll find that your mom will be the only one left to lean on when all the men have zipped up their pants and left you lying in the back seat. I was exactly like you, and there is so much more you could be proud of than putting another notch in your belt. Trust me, when it's all over, your family is all you're  going to have left and they shouldn't have to watch you die from sex.
wow at is great info... i love tanning beds.

April 25, 2006, 12:37 pm CDT

Listen and learn young lady

Quote From: nypd7946

I am 26 yrs old with two children 8 and 4.  I am married to a wonderful man.  My life has been HARD.  I was molested by my stepfather from 10 to 14.  My mother KNEW.  I was a cutter and struggle every day.  When I was fifteen I started drinking and smoking pot.  I was out of control.  I figured if my mom didn't care to see and save me then why should I.  At 15 you shouldn't be drinking at all.  Your body isn't ready to handle it.  Getting caught isn't what makes it wrong but the act itself is wrong.  I never got caught.  Luckily I have someone to thank for saving my life.  He's 8 and I get him up for school every morning.  I am his mommy.  I got pregnant at 17 because I was partying and looking for love and acceptance in sex.  The day I found out that I was carrying my son I quit everything.  I lost a lot of the experiences young women got to have because I was at home changing diapers and teaching him to sit up and walk and studying at the same time.  Before you end up dead, diseased, or a mommy KNOCK OFF your so what attitude.  Don't grow up but cherish what is left of your childhood before it is too late.  LOVE YOURSELF VALUE YOURSELF and stop poisoning you mind and body.  If you have nothing else to do but party and drink find somewhere to donate your time.  A food pantry a clothing closet heck go pick up trash out of the parks that little one's play in or from the side of the road.  Do something productive to leave a mark on the world that says I was here and look what I accompished.  You will find that you are happier and like yourself more, a lot more than when you wake up the morning after with a hangover.  I am not saying this in anger I am telling you this out of love for children and young ladies that need to find their way.  You can do it.  Show the world what you are made of instead of going with the flow of drinking and partying.  "What is right is not always popular, What is popular is not always right"

April 25, 2006, 12:38 pm CDT

teens

Quote From: sweetpeaoh

This show, Teen Wake-up calls, touched me very personally. Now, at 28 yrs old, I've been dealing with HPV (Humanpapilloma virus) for 13 yrs. Briana, there is a lot more to deal with in sex than HIV/AIDS...there are a lot of other viruses out there that will effect your life with just as much force. At 15, I lost my virginity and starting dealing with missed periods. My mom thought I was pregnant or doing drugs. I went in for a Pap at my doctor and have now had more exams on my body than most women twice my age. My body keeps developing dysplasia, abnormal cell growth that eventually leads to cervical cancer. If you deliver a baby during one of these breakouts, your child can get genital warts on his/her vocal chords and suffer for life.  Millions of people have this virus, even the ones who look healthy. I have had two LEEPs (where an electrically charged rod is used to burn your cervix after the cells are scraped off or cut out), my cervix frozen and scraped, two colposcopies(scraping of the cervix with this thing that looks like a bottle brush and your body gives you one long constant cramp because the opening to the cervix is being messed with.) Now, I'm being told I should anticipate a hysterectomy(due to other problems as well), but sex too early in life and natural problems that have occurred have combined to create great problems for me. HPV also causes infertility. Briana, the men who are having sex with you don't give two shits less whether you live or die, whether you deal with a disease for the rest of your life, or if you even care about them. You need to take care of Briana first. I haven't had sex for a few years, but I work everyday, do what I want, spend time with my friends and am happier now than I've ever been. My mom, who was the enemy when I was hurting myself as a teenager, never gave up on me, and today is my best friend. You'll find that your mom will be the only one left to lean on when all the men have zipped up their pants and left you lying in the back seat. I was exactly like you, and there is so much more you could be proud of than putting another notch in your belt. Trust me, when it's all over, your family is all you're  going to have left and they shouldn't have to watch you die from sex.
I feel for you.  Noone should have to live with a disease.  I'm An older woman but as a teenager.  I really was a virgin for a long time.  I was afraid of sex.  I grew up in the eighities.  I loved rock concerts. By the time I gratuated from high school some of my friends had abortions, had sexually trasmitted diseases and gave up kids for adoption. This wasn't the way of life for me. 

April 25, 2006, 12:54 pm CDT

I understand

I have the HPV virus also. I have had it for 4yrs.  Luckily for me I have not had  a breakout for 2 yrs. I am also a recovering manic depressive self mutilator. This is not a subject that is discussed enough. Cutting yourself is as much of an addiction as drugs or alcohol. It is very hard to controll the temptation to hurt yourself. I recently had a relapse where I found myself starring at a razor in my bathroom. However the difference between me and the others that are suffering with this problem is,  I can controll it . It does not controll me anymore. I dont know how I do it. I just think to myself do you relly want to hurt yourself , family and friends again? Do you really want to go down that path again? Or do you want to walk away and find a more healthy and productive way to handle this feeling? I decide to walk away and tell my fiance everytime I get those feelings. It helps me to know that I can recognize the symptoms and stop before it gets ahold of me. I hope this helps someone. You are not alone and you can defeat this. Get help now! Before its too late. Thank you for listening.
                                    I understand,
                                      Erika

April 25, 2006, 12:56 pm CDT

obsessed with the sun? READ ME!! I have an idea for ya!

The first two girls seemed to really take the hint that they were going down a very dangerous path. I thought the way Dr Phil opened their eyes to the real world was perfect!!  

For the young lady who was obsessed with tanning and just didn't seem to get it, I hope you read this!!! I have very fair skin, and can get a sunburn in less than 15 minutes, so excessive exposure to the sun just sucks! Who wants to be red as a lobster and peeling all summer?! So I use the Neutrogena sunless tanning/bronzing foam and the Neutrogena micro mist tanning spray. They are awesome!! I get compliments ALL THE TIME about my great tan, and I am always proud to boast-it's fake!! Once you get the hang of it, it produces a really nice tan as dark as you want it. The great thing about the bronzing foam is that it gives you color immediately, so you can tell where it's going. The micro mist spray is a little tricky, but it's good to use because the can will still spray even if it's upside down, so you can get the back of your legs and all of that. Sometimes I even use the lotions that add the "subtle" color in between the other tanning days, just to keep the tan going.  I know it seems like a lot of work, but it really isn't...and if it saves your life-doesn't it seem worth it anyway???  

In short,  you CAN get all the benefits of that sexy tan WITHOUT THE DEATH PART!! So smarten up and try it already! And take care of yourself!!!   

April 25, 2006, 12:58 pm CDT

Too Tan

I just finished watching the story about the too tan teen.  I've got to say that I was once that girl.  I use to love tanning inside and out.  I thought it made me look better and all my friends tanned with me.  Guess what?  At 27, I was diagnosed with Skin Cancer.  The good news for me, it was stage 1.  I had surgery on my arm back in August of 2005.  I now have to go to the doctor every 3 months to be checked out.  I'm so careful about being in the sun now.  Its just not worth it to me.  Its funny how when this first happened, my friends all freaked out and went to the doctor to be checked out. Almost a year later, some of those same people are back in the tanning beds. I have to say this was a HUGE wake up call for me!!  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last