Message Boards

Topic : 08/07 Big Burden

Number of Replies: 365
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 21, 2006, 10:21:06 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/27/06) Morbid obesity changes the dynamic of two entire families … and tears them apart. DeeDee weighs over 700 pounds and hasn't left her house in more than a year. She has become a burden to her friends and family by constantly demanding their help and company. Is DeeDee ready to get real and make a change, or will she continue to blame her weight gain on other circumstances? Also, her children explain why they resent their mother and feel hostage to her demands. Then, MaLynn is only 14 years old, but she already weighs 419 pounds, and her obesity is causing problems in school. Her mother, Shari, admits she can't say no to her daughter when it comes to food. Dr. Phil shows MaLynn how she can easily lose 86 pounds, and he gets this mother-daughter team to work together to save their relationship and their lives. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 22, 2006, 3:44 pm CDT

It's everyone's fault

The reason why so many people are morbidly obese is because some are genetically predisposed to being large, but then there are the ones who don't take responsibility for their own well being and health and turn into gluttons, boo-hooing about how it's not their fault they can't even barely move, let alone breathe. And the family members add to the problem by tolerating the person's over indulgence instead of saying no, or go get it yourself. Maybe she wouldn't be 700 lbs. and nobody else in the world would become this way if people learned how to be stubborn in a good way and not encourage such bad habits. You can't make a person active, but you can create a lethargic existence by yielding to their desires, thus making them inactive, ineffective and adding to their low self esteem. My advice for people who are in the position of being so overweight they can't do anything is to just start focusing on doing anything you are interested in and start to do it, other than eating mass quantities of food. It makes me sick that people in families don't care enough to motivate someone by neglecting to feed their obesity, not offering any alternatives of activity, even if it's spending time w/ them  and  not allowing them to make excuses for such a poor lifestyle. I'm sure that something made her shut herself down in a room and nobody came to rescue her from her situation and they just fed her to shut her up instead of make her get it out in the open and refuse to over feed her and help her cope. She has issues, but the family hasn't done anything until she's 700 lbs.? Why didn't they help when she was 300 lbs.? It's a sad situation when food= love.

April 23, 2006, 12:51 am CDT

04/27 Big Burden

Quote From: rtrouble

The reason why so many people are morbidly obese is because some are genetically predisposed to being large, but then there are the ones who don't take responsibility for their own well being and health and turn into gluttons, boo-hooing about how it's not their fault they can't even barely move, let alone breathe. And the family members add to the problem by tolerating the person's over indulgence instead of saying no, or go get it yourself. Maybe she wouldn't be 700 lbs. and nobody else in the world would become this way if people learned how to be stubborn in a good way and not encourage such bad habits. You can't make a person active, but you can create a lethargic existence by yielding to their desires, thus making them inactive, ineffective and adding to their low self esteem. My advice for people who are in the position of being so overweight they can't do anything is to just start focusing on doing anything you are interested in and start to do it, other than eating mass quantities of food. It makes me sick that people in families don't care enough to motivate someone by neglecting to feed their obesity, not offering any alternatives of activity, even if it's spending time w/ them  and  not allowing them to make excuses for such a poor lifestyle. I'm sure that something made her shut herself down in a room and nobody came to rescue her from her situation and they just fed her to shut her up instead of make her get it out in the open and refuse to over feed her and help her cope. She has issues, but the family hasn't done anything until she's 700 lbs.? Why didn't they help when she was 300 lbs.? It's a sad situation when food= love.
Being "genetically predisposed to being large" cannot CANNOT cause morbid obesity. Fat doesn't just appear from no where. Fat is physical material. It is physically impossible for fat just appear. Physics doesn't allow that. Fat is from eating too much food. PERIOD.

Other then that I agree with pretty much everything else you said. :)

April 23, 2006, 7:31 pm CDT

Topic : 04/27 Big Burden

Hopefully Dr Phil can give help to the obese 14 year old.  She's so young and heading in such a horrible direction.  Because of her age, hopefully it'll be a success story down the road   

April 24, 2006, 10:29 am CDT

Being large to begin with don't help at all!!

Quote From: purplepain

Being "genetically predisposed to being large" cannot CANNOT cause morbid obesity. Fat doesn't just appear from no where. Fat is physical material. It is physically impossible for fat just appear. Physics doesn't allow that. Fat is from eating too much food. PERIOD.

If a person is 200-300 lbs. to begin with, it don't take long to become 400-600 lbs. since they are already hereditarily obese. Fat don't appear from nowhere, it appears from all the fattening food we stuff our faces with everyday!! And their metabolism don't allow it to be burned (plus they have a hard time moving effectively to begin with), so they become morbidly obese from the combination. 

I personally am 5'3" and weigh 130 lbs. I am considered overweight according to the "health experts". When I weighed 120-125 lbs. everyone thought I looked anorexic!! The epidemic we have going on is fat vs. thin and it should be healthy vs. unhealthy. Being over 300 lbs. is just totally astonishing to me. As people get older, they gain so many lbs. per year, it's a proven fact. These morbidly obese people just do it faster and need some hypno-therapy to refocus their thoughts so they can lead good, healthy lives instead of lay in a bed and become like beached whales. Occasionally I do see people who weigh over 300 lbs. out and about and I at least give them some credit for getting up and out of bed everyday. Their problem is that they binge eat and are addicted to food. I hope Dr. Phil can help more people who are suffering from this disorder. 

April 24, 2006, 3:45 pm CDT

04/27 Big Burden

One thing I am taking you to task on is that there are people pre-disposed in being obese I am one of them I only eat what is good and healthy foods in moderation, I have had Doctors tell me not to worry because none of my mother's side of the house weighted under 250 and all were healthy up until they hit their mid 70's and they never had over eating issues.  In medical dictionaries the definitions of morbid obesity is as follows: Morbid Obesity that is sufficient to prevent normal activity or physiologic function, or to cause the onset of a pathologic condition. The condition of weighing two, three, or more times the ideal weight, so called because it is associated with many serious and life-threatening disorders. The term for simple obesity is this: Simple obesity obesity resulting when caloric intake exceeds energy expenditure. So I guess what I want to say is that even someone that is 60 lbs you can be considered morbidly obese.

April 24, 2006, 11:11 pm CDT

04/27 Big Burden

Quote From: ruth923

One thing I am taking you to task on is that there are people pre-disposed in being obese I am one of them I only eat what is good and healthy foods in moderation, I have had Doctors tell me not to worry because none of my mother's side of the house weighted under 250 and all were healthy up until they hit their mid 70's and they never had over eating issues.  In medical dictionaries the definitions of morbid obesity is as follows: Morbid Obesity that is sufficient to prevent normal activity or physiologic function, or to cause the onset of a pathologic condition. The condition of weighing two, three, or more times the ideal weight, so called because it is associated with many serious and life-threatening disorders. The term for simple obesity is this: Simple obesity obesity resulting when caloric intake exceeds energy expenditure. So I guess what I want to say is that even someone that is 60 lbs you can be considered morbidly obese.
I understand the definitions but I'm sorry...fat doesn't appear out of no where. Fat is a physical material and it doesn't leap onto the human body as a person sleeps or something.

We literally are what we eat. Every cell in our bodies are made up of something we consumed at one point or another A person doesn't weigh 300+ lbs by eating 1400 calories worth of salad and grilled chicken breast.

I believe that a person can be pre-disposed to being obese...yes, but that doesn't equal doomed to being obese. That fat came from SOMEWHERE.

"Morbid Obesity that is sufficient to prevent normal activity or physiologic function, or to cause the onset of a pathologic condition. The condition of weighing two, three, or more times the ideal weight, so called because it is associated with many serious and life-threatening disorders."

I do not disagree with that definition. That definition has nothing to do with how a person became morbidly obese, only that they will suffer for becoming obese.

April 24, 2006, 11:23 pm CDT

04/27 Big Burden

If a person is 200-300 lbs. to begin with, it don't take long to become 400-600 lbs. since they are already hereditarily obese. Fat don't appear from nowhere, it appears from all the fattening food we stuff our faces with everyday!! And their metabolism don't allow it to be burned (plus they have a hard time moving effectively to begin with), so they become morbidly obese from the combination. 

I personally am 5'3" and weigh 130 lbs. I am considered overweight according to the "health experts". When I weighed 120-125 lbs. everyone thought I looked anorexic!! The epidemic we have going on is fat vs. thin and it should be healthy vs. unhealthy. Being over 300 lbs. is just totally astonishing to me. As people get older, they gain so many lbs. per year, it's a proven fact. These morbidly obese people just do it faster and need some hypno-therapy to refocus their thoughts so they can lead good, healthy lives instead of lay in a bed and become like beached whales. Occasionally I do see people who weigh over 300 lbs. out and about and I at least give them some credit for getting up and out of bed everyday. Their problem is that they binge eat and are addicted to food. I hope Dr. Phil can help more people who are suffering from this disorder. 

"If a person is 200-300 lbs. to begin with, it don't take long to become 400-600 lbs. since they are already hereditarily obese."

A person who is 200-300 lbs is not automatically hereditarily obese. I'm not sure if you meant to word that that way or not.

"Fat don't appear from nowhere, it appears from all the fattening food we stuff our faces with everyday!! And their metabolism don't allow it to be burned (plus they have a hard time moving effectively to begin with), so they become morbidly obese from the combination."

I wouldn't say that necessarily. Calories go in, calories get burned. That is true for MOST people. Including the many many many (much too many) who blame their fat on bad genes. Someone who's "metabolism don't allow it to be burned" just has to learn to eat few calories, since their body obviously doesn't need that many calories.

"These morbidly obese people just do it faster and need some hypno-therapy to refocus their thoughts so they can lead good, healthy lives instead of lay in a bed and become like beached whales."

They don't "do it faster" they eat too much and move too little. It's that simple. People who have physiological reasons for being overweight do not end up that fat.  They might always be a tad rounder or it might be a constant battle but people do not get that fat out bad heredity!

Also, hypnosis has never ever been proven to be effective and has been shown to be harmful to some people. It's a psuedoscience and should be avoided.

"Occasionally I do see people who weigh over 300 lbs. out and about and I at least give them some credit for getting up and out of bed everyday."

I think you might have a skewed view of what 300 lbs means. I weigh 250 (yes, I am very very fat, but I am using Dr Phils book and a 1200 calorie diet and I'm having success.) And I am out and about constantly. I play outside with my daughter, kick the ball, chase her around. I walk everywhere. I even do some yoga. I'm a "solid" 250, I have lots of muscle and I move around a lot. There are some "marshmellow" people who weigh the same as me but don't move around as much and look much larger then me.

"heir problem is that they binge eat and are addicted to food. I hope Dr. Phil can help more people who are suffering from this disorder."

This I agree with you on. This is an eating disorder. People who eat that much. I myself have very wrong thinking that I use to eat too much food. I eat when I'm sad and I tell myself I'm ugly anyway so I might as well be fat too.

This is not a gentic disease, this is an emotional problem that can be corrected through therapy and exercise and diet.

April 25, 2006, 6:55 pm CDT

I TOTALLY DIAGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!

•    Yes, I do believe that genetics do have some to do with obesity however; I am offended at the "boo-hooing" statement you have made here.  Yes, I was obese and I have lost 160 lbs and I have 40 lbs to go to get to my weight.  When I was morbidly obese I did not blame anyone else but myself.  I am the one who put the food in my mouth.  Yes, I had issues and I had to learn to deal with them differently but my familty was not yielding to my desires or helping create a lethargic existence.  My family DID encourage me to not eat so much, to go for walks, to exercise more, all of it.  I am the one who choose not to.  So how dare you judge people you do not even know!  You do not live their live and you do not know what they are going through every single second.  You are not in their minds, hearts and homes.  Until you know first hand maybe you should not talk about it at all.  And if you have been obese or you are obese then shame on you.  Do not judge families of or the obese because I GAURANDAMMTEEE that they are doing a much harder judging job on themselves than you ever could.  See you are part of the problem.  You see, it is people like you that make me sick!  Instead of talking junk maybe you could find a way to help instead of criticizing.  That would be a much better solution!!!  Obese people do not need RESCUEING they need people like you to leave them the hell alone!!

April 26, 2006, 1:00 am CDT

04/27 Big Burden

People who weigh that much have an eating disorder. People do not gain that much weight with correct thinking and a normal relationship with food. People who even weigh as much as I do are likely to have serious issues with food and incorrect thinking.

Your advice is too simplistic and shows you do not understand the problem.

And it is "a bad situation when food=love"...it's COMPLICATED.  And focusing on something they are interested in isn't going to help.

I just don't think you understand. I think maybe you are one of those people who has never been fat. Again, it's complicated.

April 26, 2006, 1:42 pm CDT

I agree

People who weigh that much have an eating disorder. People do not gain that much weight with correct thinking and a normal relationship with food. People who even weigh as much as I do are likely to have serious issues with food and incorrect thinking.

Your advice is too simplistic and shows you do not understand the problem.

And it is "a bad situation when food=love"...it's COMPLICATED.  And focusing on something they are interested in isn't going to help.

I just don't think you understand. I think maybe you are one of those people who has never been fat. Again, it's complicated.

I too struggle with weight.  Not 700 pounds but over 200.  I get so tired of skinny people talking like it's so easy just don't make bad choices.  Just like it would be easy for me to stop smoking because I never have so I wouldn't understand the addiction. People who are overweight didn't get there because they have the metabolism of a marathon runner like some skinny people.  There are so many facts and reasons people gain the weight they do.  Unfortunately, you can't just quit eating like you can quit smoking.  It's about support, getting to the root of the problem, and LOTS OF EDUCATION!   

Plus, I've seen many thin people at McDonalds.  And they look at you like you shouldn't be eating that stuff.  It's quite annoying.  Just becuase you are skinny doesn't mean you're healthy.  In fact you can be obese when you are skinny.  It means you have more body fat than muscle mass.   

Personally, I'm not fat, I'm big boned.   heee hee  

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last