Message Boards

Topic : 07/18 Dr. Phil's Mooch Squad

Number of Replies: 191
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 21, 2006, 10:25:27 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/28/06) Dr. Phil sends his Mooch Squad to round up some accused family freeloaders! Regina and Earl are beyond frustrated with their 22-year-old son, Derek, who has moved out and back home twice. Paying Derek's expenses and supporting him and his pets costs them over $2,100 a month! After sneaking out a window to escape the Mooch Squad, Derek begins an eight-hour negotiation with his parents. Does he eventually agree to sign Dr. Phil's behavioral agreement? Then, Adele says her 25-year-old son, Ryan, lives on her couch, demands that she cook dinner and serve it to him, lies to her, and has ruined her financially. Ryan admits he's the king of all moochers and says his blue eyes can mesmerize people into giving him what he wants. Can Dr. Phil convince these moochers to require more of themselves, or is it up to the parents to stop the handouts? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 28, 2006, 11:10 am CDT

despite sex theories

Quote From: purplepain

Dispite all your "thus's" and "goodly's" men do not lack rights. Men do not lack anything.  Your anger at women in general is very clear.

This has nothing to do with gender rolls and please stop making everything about how the poor males are victims of all the powerful women of the world.

There is no meme. You can't just claim there is one and it be so!

This is about spoiled people who are milking their parents for all they are worth. This is a leaving the nest issue...NOT a gender issue.
Yes lets blame it on the sex of the idiot.  There is only one way to deal with this child. Leave him with who taught him and lets get on with life. As long as parents today can seek out sympathy for being irresponsible and Dr. Phil can write a book about how to raise our children then why teach them how to be. We have become dependant on others to teach our  kids desire or drive and when the kids fail it's on the education system. I have made more effort and failed than this child and he will live better than I because his parents spoil him. Dr Phil will you give these well intentioned parents the proper definition of SPOIL.

April 28, 2006, 11:34 am CDT

04/28 Dr. Phil's Mooch Squad

Yes I will be very anxious to hear what Dr. Phil has to say to these guys and their parents  ......... 

Personally I don't know what the parents can do about this ............ because they created it!!! 

What they should have done should have begun back when these guys were about 2 and gone from there. 

We have a WHOLE world of people out there who thought kids just raise themselves ... no direction, no shaping, no forming, no NOTHING. 

Does it make you wonder what you would do if you ever had a kid like this .... well I don't wonder and I know it is no accident that I don't because from the time they were little - I constantly pushed pushed pushed .... "you have to "  "you have to" "you have to" -  a happy house pulls together - everybody does his or her share to his or her ability ...... 

My kids are certainly not perfect but I gave it my best shot preparing preparing and preparing for LIFE! 

If parents don't teach their kids when they are little how are they going to know what to do when they are adults?  

April 28, 2006, 12:04 pm CDT

Keep trying

Quote From: liatsunami

I think a lot of people would consider me a moocher, because I don't work. right now.  I haven't had a job in two years and have been in and out of college.  I try to send out at least one resumé a day to any secretarial work that I'm REMOTELY qualified to do.  In the summer I'm supposed to babysit 8-10 hours a day for 125.00  a month.   Which will end up going straight to my medications.  So I"m looking for a better job. RIght now I live on about $60.00 a week (including groceries) plus gas money that my dad gives me for driving him home from work  everyday.

I take care of my mom's rental property, where I live with 2 other people and take care of collecting rent and getting things taken care of when they break.

I've worked at : a girl scout camp, video store, thrift store, a factory (2 weeeks of that) and a restuarant but I need a career now. Something where I can get health insurance and that's what I'm looking for.    I have seriousl medical issues that REQUIRE me to get a job with healthcare benefits or I can't work effecitvely. I"m lucky if I can concentrate for 2-3 hours and stay awake most of the time when I don't have my medications.

So some of us aren't moochers because we want to be.  Sometimes life and circumstances just happen and you have to do what you can.

You are not a moocher if you are earning your pay (driving your dad counts, as does managing rental property), living on your own (you are), and trying your best to overcome your obstacles. Without knowing more of your story I hesitate to say it, but you are probably doing relatively well. Health problems can (and do) destroy lives. Fighting to persevere is commendable.  

I have been disabled by back problems for four years.Here I am, unable to do much more than watch TV, wishing I could get back to work and be the man I used to be. I hope to eventually heal enough to return to some gainful employment within my new restrictions. My wife and children have shown great resilience as we've struggled with economic, emotional, and medical issues. Because of their great resolve to stand by me, our family is still together. Without their support I wouldn't be alive.  

All this makes me wonder: how many "moochers" are suffering from major depression? As I'm sure most readers know, depression is difficult to recognize and diagnose and that sufferers often hide their depression due to the stigma related to mental problems.   

BTW, any "moochers" that tried to fake mental illness would be open to prosecution for medical fraud.   

April 28, 2006, 12:09 pm CDT

moocher doesn't car

OK... so we kick him out... he still doesn't care. Then he mooches off someone else and lies about us to others. He's only 18 and already is a deadbeat dad, drop out of high school and got fired from McDonalds. HELP US! He's actually gone and slept in the park for a few days. He simply doesn't care!

April 28, 2006, 12:23 pm CDT

No Sympathy

Dr.Phil, when I found out you were doing another episode about these moochers, I couldn't wait to see it. I have no sympathy for the moochers or for the parents.  

I love your no noncence attitude when it comes to this and how you don't let anyone off the hook or let them use their excuses. 

Keep up the good work! 

April 28, 2006, 12:31 pm CDT

men's rights

I agree with the Father on the show. He should not be forced to be a Father. Hope he wins the case!

April 28, 2006, 12:48 pm CDT

Poor Little Moochers and their parents..

I am a single mother of two who has worked hard for everything that I own, including my home.  I purchased my home and provide for my two children on my own and without the help of anyone at all.  That includes my parents.  The fact is, I am so tired of hearing the wining and crying of these parents and their spoiled little children, that have now become adult spoiled little children.  The fact is most of today's parents are raising children who do not have to work or earn anything.  When I was a child, I had to earn everything.  Even a movie.  I would go out and rake yards, wash cars, pull weeds, and mow lawns to do the things that I wanted.  My parents definitely had the money.  But, I know that I would not have the ability to be a Successful Single Mother TODAY, if it weren't for the fact that I learned the value of a dollar and working to earn what I wanted.  That is definitely one thing that I have to thank my parents for.  Even though, I thought life was unfair at the time.  

The fact is, the parents have caused their children to be moochers.  Time for parents to get tough and give out some tough love.  It will be hard at first, but your children will thank you for it later. 

April 28, 2006, 12:50 pm CDT

You did it upon yourselfs!!

The parents say that they have had it with their moochers!  but they keep on giving so why are you guys complaining?  If you give in all the time, then of course they'll keep taking.  My son who is 6 years old cleans after himself, brings down his laundry, he actually has his own chores every week and I don't even have to remind him to do it and guess what....HE'S ONLY 6 years old..wow.  

Stop your crying and do what you have to do to be parents.  Have your moochers GROW UP.  Maybe I'll have my 6 year old teach your son's Independence & responsibility.  

April 28, 2006, 12:54 pm CDT

Curious - more men moochers than women?

I noticed that many "mooch" stories are young men still living at home.  Anybody have an idea on percentages of men vs. women on mooching?  I recall Dr. Phil interviewing a family in which all the children (men & women) were mooching from their parents.  Other than that episode, I recall most of the "moochers" being men.  Curious to know the comparison between women & men moochers.

April 28, 2006, 12:58 pm CDT

That young turns into old man moocher

I recently broke up with a man who is 38 years old and is a complete mooch.  From what I have heard his family say he was the same way in his 20's.  He has a job making $12.00/hour and can't pay his bills.  He spends his money on alcohol, cigarettes, and toys for himself while he has his mother and grandmother pay his bills.  During the time that we dated the majority of the time when we went out I paid for dinner, movie, etc. I thought that he was struggling financially and I am not so I didn't see it as a problem.  Until recently and we went shopping where he spent his entire paycheck, we then went to dinner and after he ordered, ate, and the bill came he said "would you get this one and I will pay you back later".  Obviously I paid the bill but trust me it was the last one.  I told him that I couldn't pay for him anymore, that he had to pay for his own and I would pay for mine since he didn't have much money.  His response to me was "I wish I was perfect like you".  That said it all to me.  In the same conversation I found out that he had just had his 80 year old grandmother pay his $450 utility bill, and talked his schizophrenic uncle into buying him an Xbox 360.  I was disgusted.  Needless to say I broke up with him.  The problem is I am very much in love with him.  I am in a constant struggle with being with a man I don't respect and feel is a loser.  It goes much deeper then this.  He not only mooches money off everyone but he really doesn't take care of himself, his home, his daughter, anything.  I believe that he is an alcoholic and that has alot to do with it, or the mooching has allowed him to become an alcoholic, I don't know.  These younger guys are going to end up like him if their parents don't stop it now.  I have a 17 year old son who is far more responsible than the x-boyfriend.  I am a single mom and support myself in every way.  This seems to be a major problem with men of late, as I do date sometimes.  This wasn't the first time I ran into a man in his 30's living with his mom, or still using his mom's money to support him.  What is going on?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last