Message Boards

Topic : 07/18 Dr. Phil's Mooch Squad

Number of Replies: 191
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, April 21, 2006, 10:25:27 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
(Original Air Date: 04/28/06) Dr. Phil sends his Mooch Squad to round up some accused family freeloaders! Regina and Earl are beyond frustrated with their 22-year-old son, Derek, who has moved out and back home twice. Paying Derek's expenses and supporting him and his pets costs them over $2,100 a month! After sneaking out a window to escape the Mooch Squad, Derek begins an eight-hour negotiation with his parents. Does he eventually agree to sign Dr. Phil's behavioral agreement? Then, Adele says her 25-year-old son, Ryan, lives on her couch, demands that she cook dinner and serve it to him, lies to her, and has ruined her financially. Ryan admits he's the king of all moochers and says his blue eyes can mesmerize people into giving him what he wants. Can Dr. Phil convince these moochers to require more of themselves, or is it up to the parents to stop the handouts? Share your thoughts, join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.

More July 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 21, 2006, 12:57 pm CDT

04/28 Dr. Phil's Mooch Squad

No one would be coming in my home and demanding me to cook and cater to them. I say, quit the handouts and boot em out. Help with resources if needed but don't be used and manipulated in the process, Remember, we teach people how to treat us. Just because we love some one does not mean we allow them to take advantage of us, there has to be boundaries and rules...................................

April 23, 2006, 3:41 am CDT

Moochers are spoiled kids that haven't grown up

Quote From: jettav

No one would be coming in my home and demanding me to cook and cater to them. I say, quit the handouts and boot em out. Help with resources if needed but don't be used and manipulated in the process, Remember, we teach people how to treat us. Just because we love some one does not mean we allow them to take advantage of us, there has to be boundaries and rules...................................
 From what I have seen with my stepsons, moochers are just spoiled kids that have not grown up. My fiances oldest son has been basically handed at least 6 good paying jobs(ranging from $17-$24.00/hr to start) from which his father knows alot of people.  He has quit every one of them with some pretty big excuses. He even went to the extent on one job to stage a crying act telling the boss that he needed to quit because his mother got into a car accident and died.  He then gets his pay from what they owe him, and moves back here to mooch of of his father.  He was in a relationship with a nice girl who can't stand his nonsense anymore either.  He asked his dad to co-sign for a $2000 loan on the last job his father got him in the mine.  He wanted to pay off some bills to start fresh.  He paid off part of a bill and used the rest to wine and dine and buy his girlfriend his love.  He quit his job again and is now in arrears with his payments.  He moved back here for a couple of weeks until his father had enough again.  He then moved out and into a friends place for approx. a month.  He came over to stay a weekend to mooch some more money for the greyhound(400.00) out to Alberta, Canada for another job.  He has been there for a few days.  I will give him 3 weeks, and he will be back.

April 23, 2006, 12:18 pm CDT

KICK

I get a real kick from these moochers demanding their parents. It's sooo moochey. It's a wonder if their parents don't or do KICK them out and tell them.... well I wouldn't know what to say....

April 24, 2006, 8:28 pm CDT

Quote From: tripleh

I get a real kick from these moochers demanding their parents. It's sooo moochey. It's a wonder if their parents don't or do KICK them out and tell them.... well I wouldn't know what to say....
your not alone. My ex and the father of a beautiful girl is a mooch to his parents and I've been told by his mother that she will kick him out. Hasn't happened yet and he is 23. At least I can teach our daughter that mooching is wrong.

April 24, 2006, 11:32 pm CDT

Quote From: cheekynik

From what I have seen with my stepsons, moochers are just spoiled kids that have not grown up. My fiances oldest son has been basically handed at least 6 good paying jobs(ranging from $17-$24.00/hr to start) from which his father knows alot of people.  He has quit every one of them with some pretty big excuses. He even went to the extent on one job to stage a crying act telling the boss that he needed to quit because his mother got into a car accident and died.  He then gets his pay from what they owe him, and moves back here to mooch of of his father.  He was in a relationship with a nice girl who can't stand his nonsense anymore either.  He asked his dad to co-sign for a $2000 loan on the last job his father got him in the mine.  He wanted to pay off some bills to start fresh.  He paid off part of a bill and used the rest to wine and dine and buy his girlfriend his love.  He quit his job again and is now in arrears with his payments.  He moved back here for a couple of weeks until his father had enough again.  He then moved out and into a friends place for approx. a month.  He came over to stay a weekend to mooch some more money for the greyhound(400.00) out to Alberta, Canada for another job.  He has been there for a few days.  I will give him 3 weeks, and he will be back.
Ya see? That makes me sick. My husband works with a couple of guys like that, only not as bad. They keep their job but complain about it constantly.

The reason it makes me mad is because my husband has been waiting for a break like the one he got at this job for a long long time. He works programming video games and he gets paid a mere $28,000 a year to support 3 people on. He has his foot in the door way and he has a whole ladder to climb up. He's thankful for his job and he works hard at it, stays late, he has bought books on new programming concepts that will help him get a promotion eventually and he spends his spare time practicing and writing programs at home.

On the other hand, he works along side of two moochers. Who got  the job from knowing the president of the company. They complain, leave early, come late, do their job wrong and the say they don't get paid enough all the time.

Young adults today are the product of spoiled babyboomers....ugh

April 25, 2006, 3:17 am CDT

What to do now,

I have a moocher that I divorced years ago. But not before my son picked up the bad habit. My new husband and I have tried everything to help my son. But he just doesn't move to get motivated. With the job market the way it is here, it makes it even worse! I am finding out now that while I was working to provide for my children, my Ex was abusing my three children. And I just recently found out how my son got burned as a child. Not at all how my Ex said it happened! I am very upset with all of this. Part of me says KICK HIM OUT! But a part of me feels it's the wrong thing to do because of his inability to function outside with others. He lacks social grace, self esteem, and confidence. My husband even wrote in to the show but Andrew wasn't picked to be on. Now I'm back to square one. A part of me wants to run and not put this on my husband. The other part is going in circles. It's easy for some to judge and say toss um out! Until you walk in our shoes, they will never know what it is like. Each and every one of us has our cross to bear and each situation is different. Maybe what I have is a co-dependent moocher? I don't know...any input out here would be greatly appreciated.

April 25, 2006, 7:17 am CDT

Sounds like your son needs counseling

Quote From: noraann

I have a moocher that I divorced years ago. But not before my son picked up the bad habit. My new husband and I have tried everything to help my son. But he just doesn't move to get motivated. With the job market the way it is here, it makes it even worse! I am finding out now that while I was working to provide for my children, my Ex was abusing my three children. And I just recently found out how my son got burned as a child. Not at all how my Ex said it happened! I am very upset with all of this. Part of me says KICK HIM OUT! But a part of me feels it's the wrong thing to do because of his inability to function outside with others. He lacks social grace, self esteem, and confidence. My husband even wrote in to the show but Andrew wasn't picked to be on. Now I'm back to square one. A part of me wants to run and not put this on my husband. The other part is going in circles. It's easy for some to judge and say toss um out! Until you walk in our shoes, they will never know what it is like. Each and every one of us has our cross to bear and each situation is different. Maybe what I have is a co-dependent moocher? I don't know...any input out here would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe y'all could get your son to a counselor.  It sounds like he has some issues that may be inhibiting his ability to get out on his own.  Perhaps a method like "the only thing we are going to ask you to do in exchange for living here is that you see a therapist."  Or something like that.  I don't know really.  I can tell you that depression and a lack of confidence can really make it hard to even want to try for something.  That might be what is going on here.  Good luck and God bless.

April 25, 2006, 3:09 pm CDT

Quote From: alpha12

Maybe y'all could get your son to a counselor.  It sounds like he has some issues that may be inhibiting his ability to get out on his own.  Perhaps a method like "the only thing we are going to ask you to do in exchange for living here is that you see a therapist."  Or something like that.  I don't know really.  I can tell you that depression and a lack of confidence can really make it hard to even want to try for something.  That might be what is going on here.  Good luck and God bless.
No job means no money for a counselor. The ones that we have that are close to us are not that great. Money buys great, no money buys the counselors that don't care to listen. Thanks for the luck , esp Gods Blessings.......I need them both!

April 26, 2006, 1:22 am CDT

Ugh is right.

Quote From: purplepain

Ya see? That makes me sick. My husband works with a couple of guys like that, only not as bad. They keep their job but complain about it constantly.

The reason it makes me mad is because my husband has been waiting for a break like the one he got at this job for a long long time. He works programming video games and he gets paid a mere $28,000 a year to support 3 people on. He has his foot in the door way and he has a whole ladder to climb up. He's thankful for his job and he works hard at it, stays late, he has bought books on new programming concepts that will help him get a promotion eventually and he spends his spare time practicing and writing programs at home.

On the other hand, he works along side of two moochers. Who got  the job from knowing the president of the company. They complain, leave early, come late, do their job wrong and the say they don't get paid enough all the time.

Young adults today are the product of spoiled babyboomers....ugh
 I hear you. It frustrates me to no end.  Even though I love my stepson, (And I mean that), It is time that he grows up.  The saddest part of it all though, is that his father is to partly blame because he allows it to happen.  He keeps giving in to him, so he knows he can keep quiting his jobs.  I am not the perfect parent, but I just wouldn't put up with it from my kids.  My daughter is just turning 19 and she is attending college fulltime and has a fulltime evening job at a telephone marketing company.  I think she is working too many hours, personally.  She is going to burn out.  I told her that I think she should quit her job and just obtain a partime, evening job.  Then she will be able to focus more on her schoolwork, but she is somehow still averaging a 90 percent in her courses.  The only problem I have with my daughter, (but it is big enough), is her attitude.  I'm just glad that she is a hard worker.  What I find the hardest is that my fiance is doing the same thing with my daughter as what he did with his kids.  I am trying to teach my daughter not to borrow money off of me because she shouldn't have to.  So, she blows her paychecks (thankgod, not on drugs), on clothes, but then asks for money.  I won't give it to her, but my fiance does,  just to shut her up.  That's what happened with his boys.  I don't want my daughter getting used to mooching off of us.  How do I deal with that one??

April 26, 2006, 2:53 pm CDT

Dr. Phil's Mooch Squad

At the age where a adult is considered a adult ...I feel that it's time to take on his or her responsibilty to work and support themselves and to leave the parents alone .  We can help them to a certain point but to have them mooching off us is totally wrong ... Take responsabilty

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last